• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Free-to-Play Shooter Warframe Coming to PS4

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
So how does Sony get paid?

Do they get a cut on the microtransactions or something?
Yup. In game transactions use the PSN wallet for payment and Sony gets a cut from every transaction that uses the wallet.

hiryu64

This is the video that my friend linked me that sold me on the game. I've since shown it to a fair few people, and all of them have been convinced to try it after watching.

EDIT: Oh wow, now that I've got a few hours under my belt, watching this video shows just how new this guy is. I think he recorded his second time playing or something? Haha, still a good pitch video, if only for his raw enthusiasm at the start of the video.

Violater

Depends on the game like always. Some like wargaming.net (makers of World of Tanks) are swimming in money. If I remember right Warface is also big money maker for Crytek.

Actual numbers, not so sure. But it's pretty commonly hovering around Steam in the top 10 currently played

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/ So they're probably alright if even just a small fragment is paying

Seems like a risky business model, I hope it pays off for them.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Screens from PC version

warframe2013-03-2817-stjtb.png

warframe2013-03-2818-dmkc2.png

warframe2013-04-0314-2ljes.png

warframe2013-04-0314-fvk6i.png

I haven't played this in a couple months, but what I played I liked. I just need more friends to get in on it. It's developed by the studio that made Dark Sector. (I instantly recognized the art but couldn't place it.) Really dug that you could go through with stealth. just need to find team mates that don't start firing guns immediately and never stop. It is a bit of a grind some times, but it is free to play. IF you're not sliding or flipping everywhere, you're doing it wrong.

jediyoshi

Seems like a risky business model, I hope it pays off for them.

Given the current state of pc indie, mp only games, it's ironically a lot safer to go f2p. Unless it hits a niche like Chivalry or has an already existing player base like Natural Selection 2, they're pretty much dead in the water if they ask for anything over $10

kortez320

I'm not sure how well these f2p games are going to do on consoles but I wish the devs the best. Planetside 2 is the only one I've played significantly but I really need to try out Warframe.

What I like about it is the art style is just totally uncompromising. It's funny they said it's a passion project because it's very clear from the look of the game.

This game runs like butter on a 485m. Warframe's PhysX effects are the best I've seen, and the least demanding of any PhysX compatible game I've ever played.

This game could run at max at 60fps on the PS4. PhysX could run on compute.

Blacklight is another story. They might have to dump some settings for that game to run at 60fps.

phunky420

Banned
Yeah. It's on steam.

Warframe is a great game. You're living in the past if you think F2P means a game is automatically bad.

I just downloaded it and I will give it a shot after my finals are done. However, I always feel that F2P games have a way of walling off content or they price their content at crazy prices...

Nizz

The dev mentions how silky smooth the game is on PS4. Is it safe to assume it's running at 60fps?

Here's an freebie for you, Sony (pun intended): Bundle all F2P games with the console. All.

This way, these developers will see a big boost to their games/services, you will see a big boost to those that will appreciate this addition and will use PSN (far better than "demo discs"), and developers will love you for doing so and they will release more F2P games.

It's a win-win.

Do all these F2P MMOs coming to the PS4 indicate that online will probably be free?

Warframe isn't an MMO but really the default assumption should ALWAYS be that online is free. Just because Microsoft knows it can swindle people into paying for gold accounts doesn't mean you have to treat that like it could be the norm. As long as consumers maintain the expectation that it'll be free then other companies will be less likely to try to cash in on it.

Anyway I'm with the consensus that Warframe is cool but repetitive but everyone should at least play until they get to some infested levels, those are hands down the best part of the game.

wilflare

Here's an freebie for you, Sony (pun intended): Bundle all F2P games with the console. All.

This way, these developers will see a big boost to their games/services, you will see a big boost to those that will appreciate this addition and will use PSN (far better than "demo discs"), and developers will love you for doing so and they will release more F2P games.

It's a win-win.

agreed!

Animator

Is this a plus? I view F2P games pretty much a blight on the gaming community. (with a few exceptions, but most of them are complete garbage)

You are really clueless if you honestly think that. Warframe, Planetside 2 and Path of Exile are some of the best games I ever played and they are f2p.

The first warframe gameplay I've seen was from that guy arguing in for the use of disabling used games, I remember it looking really fun, if this is indeed coming to PS4 will I definitely check it out

Bishop89

It looks pretty cool, have heard of the game but as it was pc only, i didnt have any interest.
Now that its coming to ps4... I cant wait. SPACE NINJAS

I've been playing this on PC for a while.

I like it, though it's a bit repetitive.

Updated very frequently though with new stuff.

Yup, thats my biggest problem with it, although the levels are procedurally made, they get kinda boring fast. Also they need way more enemy type's.

But on the positive site, the game is really successful on steam and gets a lot of resources for further development so it can only get better.
There is new stuff almost weekly, they just had a new update that brought clan dojo's with full customisation and resource centres, where you can research lots of new weapons.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Decent game, a little repetitive and light on content. Could be something very good in the future.

sTeLioSco

Banned
i played it on pc,was good

i think it will better with a constroller,so i would download it and check it atleast.........

KKRT00

I hope Guild Wars 2 come to PS4 with Cross-platform play and all

I dont see Guild Wars 2 on pad, at least Thief cant be efficiently played on pad, probably Mesmer too.

--
BTW i dont see Everquest Next on PS4 though, they've said that they are going with sandbox idea and user generated content pretty heavily. I dont think pad will give them enough control for this, although with touch pad maybe they could work something out. Still crossplay [PC and PS4] isnt very good idea for such games.

syko de4d

now Sony should bring out a own Keyboard + Mice for the PS4 to support more PC f2p games.
I am not saying that every game should support Keyboard + Mice but it would be great to bring games like Dota2 or Path of Exile to the Console ^^

Ylyon

Neo Member
it's a pretty good game and it's improving fast. I played it a little when the beta first came out but it was really buggy and repetitive. I picked it up again some weeks ago with a friend and it's improved A LOT. Many more options, enemies, missions.... and if you enjoy loot and grinding, you can get everything for free (as I'm doing, after buying with real money a new warframe because I *had* to start with that character and couldn't wait producing all of its armor parts with the blueprints :) )

Sony is laying in the F2P MMOs. While Im not a fan of F2P games, I did enjoy Planetside 2 and Im sure that'll debut on PS4 at E3 also. Cannot wait for E3! Going to be epic.

Dali

If they are indie then so platinum. Or does not have a standing agreement with a publisher enough to qualify a developer as indie now?

Top Bottom