• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Freedom Wars will be a digital-only release in Europe.

If people are wondering why Vita Pets got retail and not Freedom Wars, it's because it's a lot harder to market digital to a parent buying games for their kids.

Thanks to this, kids' games are pretty much immune to being "digital only" for now.

Might be true, but still it's got a retail edition in NA.
And Natural Doctrine, a low budget title that bombed pretty hard, is going to get a retail edition for PS Vita, PS3 and PS4 in Europe as well.
I fail to see the logic behind this decision.

Guymelef

SCEE is throwing in the towel and think they have the same public as PSP on its last years.
Problem here is that they are not selling a cheap Vita model for 99€ and don't have lots of "Essentials" games at 9.99€.

Good luck Sony if you think that kids will save you.

ZeroX03

Banned
Are people really questioning why a Pet game and Disney game would get priority over a Japanese niche, new IP game? Really? Freedom Wars is only an AAA release in the context of the Vita, it probably won't hit 500k worldwide, most of that from Japan.

Retail is more than just game stores. Freedom Wars is dead inventory in supermarkets or chain electronic stores. Walk-in kids and parents are a real market and one that Sony wouldn't be adverse to. The audience for Freedom Wars are the hardcore gamer who are older and completely capable of purchasing a digital game. Evidently they probably will, and I'm Sony knows the numbers behind the digital sales of their first party.

Good luck Sony if you think that kids will save you.

Don't take out your Freedom Wars-related anger out on the poor, defenseless Vita Pets. They did nothing to you.

Sony gotta get people to buy their highly overpriced memory sticks somehow! Hope the same isn't the case for the NA release, but I'm guarded.

Zareka

Are people really questioning why a Pet game and Disney game would get priority over a Japanese niche, new IP game? Really? Freedom Wars is only an AAA release in the context of the Vita, it probably won't hit 500k worldwide, most of that from Japan.

Retail is more than just game stores. Freedom Wars is dead inventory in supermarkets or chain electronic stores. Walk-in kids and parents are a real market and one that Sony wouldn't be adverse to. The audience for Freedom Wars are the hardcore gamer who are older and completely capable of purchasing a digital game. Evidently they probably will, and I'm Sony knows the numbers behind the digital sales of their first party.

I agree with your point on retail, but a physical release on, say, Amazon etc. would be nice.

Sony gotta get people to buy their highly overpriced memory sticks somehow! Hope the same isn't the case for the NA release, but I'm guarded.

I thought NA was already confirmed for physical?

MrHoot

I don't think there's much of a problem of why stuff like Vita Pets gets a retail release.

But is it too much asking a retail release for one of the biggest vita international releases this year, a FIRST PARTY game ? When even the US gets one, where the vita sells the least ? When even a game like Natural Doctrine, that failed sales-wise even in Japan, is getting a physical release for all platforms in Europe ?
Or is Sony such a pinchpenny that it can't justify spending the costs for that ? Is it really THAT expensive to have a phyiscal release on the european continent ?

It doesn't help that the memory cards are so outrageously expensive that it's basically bleeding yourself everytime you gotta purchase a new one. And it does happen a lot now. Because a lot of long time vita owners are now coming to the point where their cards are getting full. My 32gb surely is and I'm getting tired of deleting games I didn't necessarily want to delete.

For me, this just looks like a fruitless moneygrab from SCEE who thinks nothing of it's supporters.

So... European adults are smart enough to buy digital, while in NA they need a little help?
If it's a matter of costs, which I thought they cut by not having the game dubbed in English or any other language apart from the original Japanese, why the disparity? Why going retail in NA and not in EU?
XSeed is going retail with Akiba's Trip 2 worldwide on Vita, NISA with Natural Doctrine and Danganronpa 2... aren't these niche titles as well?

ZeroX03

Banned
I don't think there's much of a problem of why stuff like Vita Pets gets a retail release.

But is it too much asking a retail release for one of the biggest vita international releases this year, a FIRST PARTY game ? When even the US gets one, where the vita sells the least ? When even a game like Natural Doctrine, that failed sales-wise even in Japan, is getting a physical release for all platforms in Europe ?
Or is Sony such a pinchpenny that it can't justify spending the costs for that ? Is it really THAT expensive to have a phyiscal release on the european continent ?

Number of Vitas sold isn't as important as projected sales, physical vs. digital sales for the region, etc. We don't have access to those numbers.

So... European adults are smart enough to buy digital, while in NA they need a little help?
If it's a matter of costs, which I thought they cut by not having the game dubbed in English or any other language apart from the original Japanese, why the disparity? Why going retail in NA and not in EU?
XSeed is going retail with Akiba's Trip 2 worldwide on Vita, NISA with Natural Doctrine and Danganronpa 2... aren't these niche titles as well?

Different companies have different profit margins and expectations. I'm in bed about go sleep so I won't go into it too deeply, but resource management and priorities come into play. "Is it worth the money to have a physical release?" or in many situations it's "is it worth the time and manpower for the amount of profit?".

And NISA probably isn't a company you want to mention in regards to good European business practices right now.

Ha ha noooope.

tumblr_lconq2vKrA1qa4olq.gif

Different region projections? I'd also wager doing a physical release in Europe is more expensive/time consuming. At the very least you're paying for classification for a bunch of different countries.
You're still paying for classifications with the title being digital.
Fun fact you have to send in a physical copy of your game anyway to get a rating for pegi.

ZeroX03

Banned
You're still paying for classifications with the title being digital.

You're right, though I believe on a country by country basis there's different circumstances. There are some exemptions for digital titles in classification. Think the general point is that a multi-country physical release is still a tougher affair.

Number of Vitas sold isn't as important as projected sales, physical vs. digital sales for the region, etc. We don't have access to those numbers.

Different companies have different profit margins and expectations. I'm in bed about go sleep so I won't go into it too deeply, but resource management and priorities come into play. "Is it worth the money to have a physical release?" or in many situations it's "is it worth the time and manpower for the amount of profit?".

And NISA probably isn't a company you want to mention in regards to good European business practices right now.

Of course I want to mention NISA, as a matter of fact that's what I did and I'll do it again: they're bringing Natural Doctrine and Danganronpa 2 in Europe, retail.
SCEE is not bringing Freedom Wars retail, but digital-only. These are facts, despite each company good or bad reputation and decisions (I know you're hinting at those crazy prices on the NISA Europe Store).
And I also know what sales expectations are, and I can't believe NISA or XSeed are making less money, all things considered, going retail in Europe than Sony deciding to cut costs and not "printing" physical copies.

You're right, though I believe on a country by country basis there's different circumstances. There are some exemptions for digital titles in classification. Think the general point is that a multi-country physical release is still a tougher affair.
Most european countries use pegi and you still have to pay for it even if it's digital. I'm sure there won't be much saving from this and it sure won't reflect on the price either.

ZeroX03

Banned
Of course I want to mention NISA, as a matter of fact that's what I did and I'll do it again: they're bringing Natural Doctrine and Danganronpa 2 in Europe, retail.
SCEE is not bringing Freedom Wars retail, but digital-only. These are facts, despite each company good or bad reputation and decisions (I know you're hinting at those crazy prices on the NISA Europe Store).
And I also know what sales expectations are, and I can't believe NISA or XSeed are making less money, all things considered, going retail in Europe than Sony deciding to cut costs and not "printing" physical copies.

I think you missed my point, is that it's not necessarily a comparable affair. NISA etc are much smaller, and the extra few thousand they earn from physicsl releases count. Sony is much bigger, so the question of "is a few thousand dollars worth of profit worth expending resources and staff time on?" may be answered differently. I'm not sure if that is or isn't the case in this particular situstion, but just showing that your comparison may not be apt.

So many mistakes, Android keyboard sucks.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Most european countries use pegi and you still have to pay for it even if it's digital. I'm sure there won't be much saving from this and it sure won't reflect on the price either.

There will be saving, retail is no longer taking a portion of your sales plus manufacturing and shipping costs.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Sure but this would mean us buys way more physical than europe. I can't believe this as Kemco does release everything retail over here.

I think it's more they can't be bothered. Less risk less time spent and resources. Probably the rate of return isn't all that great either. Basically there were better investments, though honestly this is Sony we're talking about here they could almost always spend there money better somewhere else so it is strange.

I think you missed my point, is that it's not necessarily a comparable affair. NISA etc are much smaller, and the extra few thousand they earn from physicsl releases count. Sony is much bigger, so the question of "is a few thousand dollars worth of profit worth expending resources and staff time on?" may be answered differently. I'm not sure if that is or isn't the case in this particular situstion, but just showing that your comparison may not be apt.

So many mistakes, Android keyboard sucks.

That's why I said "all things considered". Of course NISA and Sony have got different expectations, different budgets and so on, but the "resources" you're talking about are for the printing of physical copies, that's it. On the US PS Blog the moderator said that they're working on the title using the Japanese dubs and adding subs (and any other part of the localization, I guess) in many languages. So, he/she basically said that the game's going to be multi-language anyway, perhaps even anywhere.
Really, I don't get their decision and I disagree with it.

KDR_11k

I upgraded my Vita to 64GB a while ago, was required for PS+ anyway so now this'll fit fine. The memcard cost for the Vita is still ridiculous, what good is a 200$ system when you need to pay a large chunk of money extra just to use it properly?

I think it's more they can't be bothered. Less risk less time spent and resources. Probably the rate of return isn't all that great either. Basically there were better investments, though honestly this is Sony we're talking about here they could almost always spend there money better somewhere else so it is strange.
You know it wouldn't hurt so much if 1.) the mc were cheaper 2.) there isn't an online pass and/or 3.) we could switch accounts without formatting the mcs. Sigh.

MQX

SCEA: Playstation Vita Pets goes digital, Freedom Wars goes physical.
SCEE: Playstation Vita Pets goes physical, Freedom Wars goes digital?

Wat?

You did it again, SCEE. Making a wrong decision.

Not that I hate Playstation Vita Pets. But why no retail release SCEE..... why......

I upgraded my Vita to 64GB a while ago, was required for PS+ anyway so now this'll fit fine. The memcard cost for the Vita is still ridiculous, what good is a 200$ system when you need to pay a large chunk of money extra just to use it properly?

Just pretend it's a $300 system and then ask what good that is.

It seems the petition got to 1000 signatures. Also, SCEE removed the article with hundreds of comments asking for a physical release from the front page. It's FF Type-0 HD all over again...

EDIT: It seems to be back now.

Vashetti

Banned
I don't think the petition is going to do anything. I've signed and am hoping for the best, but this seems set in stone already and Sony don't seem interested in changing their plans.

Zareka

I don't think the petition is going to do anything. I've signed and am hoping for the best, but this seems set in stone already and Sony don't seem interested in changing their plans.

I think someone said earlier that Gravity Rush was in the same situation and that managed to get changed. That gives me a little bit of hope, at least.

Rootbeer

Banned
I am sorry all my EU friends :(
I do know that this further secures my physical pre-order for this title... knowing how fortunate I am that we are getting it here means there is no way I will be passing it up.

Prelude.

Im very pleased to announce we are close to get our first big step, 1.000 signers in about 5 days of campaign!

When we meet this i will re-contact online videogame press and beg that our effort worth a publication so our voices get further.

I wonder who will pick it up.

genbatzu

What the fuck. Sony and everybody else stopped doing online passes last year, did SCEJ not get the memo?

No fucking way the US version will have an online pass too.

Soul Sacrifice Delta.. a PSN only game has an Online Pass... which...doesn't even make sense... ôo

but I don't really care, tbh, I'm almost fully digital only on Vita, I have 3 Games physical, in a handy case, but I don't know where that case is, so full digital is good~

For a first party sony game, I dont think this should be acceptable.

Well, tbh I did expect this after Jim Ryan said the Vita is the iPod of portable gaming or something like that. And that digital was the way to go. They're going to shutdown physical support for the Vita in Europe.

A very typical move by Sony actually. Oreshika will be next.

This shitty support is really getting worse and worse.
Let the rights to publish the game to NISA, they could handle it better.
Meanwhile this thing got physical release:
13577738095_7a55e0d14f_c.jpg

Good Job Sony.

Hahahaha, ahahahahahaha, mhahaahaha...

Seriously, what?
Those guys still treat europe like this was 1992 and you want them to publish MORE games in europe?
Yeah, let's make people that can't understand english not play any games they bring, keep them at the same price forever at online store and distribute a fraction of any normal release to stores and the games sell even less because of that. Not even taking into account what they did with the collectors edition european british online store.

Or maybe you were being sacastic, so the explanation doesn't work.
In my defense it's hard to know if thats was meant to be sarcastic or not.

scakko84

This will probably be the reason why i'll not buy the game at day one. I'll probably wait for some review before spending 40e. on a game i can no longer resell if it turn out to be not as good as it seems.

Top Bottom