• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Freedom Wars will be a digital-only release in Europe.

Prelude.

More like having a half of brain for business. This would literally sell 5 copies on retail. Vita fans don't give a fuck. If you're still on board with that machine I think nothing can sway you. In fact it's a miracle this game is even coming over.
If you knew what they published before you wouldn't post stuff as ridiculous as this.

Sendou

If you knew what they published before you wouldn't post stuff as ridiculous as this.

What's so ridiculous about it? I'm well aware of what retail failures Sony has experienced with Vita in the past.

In fact it's your post that is ridiculous. Just because you smashed your head to a wall once (or twice or whatever) doesn't mean you have to keep doing it.

krossj

I'm probably out of purchasing this if that is the case. I was kinda of looking forward to it.

This is getting irritating now. I didn't purchase SS Delta for the same reason. For a game funded by Sony it is bizarre decision considering it is getting physical release in all other regions.

LMN

I feel for EU gamer, but why digital only?? I don't get it. This does not make sense at all. Or do they want us to buy multiple memory card as much as possible? Although US is getting a retail this one, with this result, I can already suspect that Freedom wars expansion/1.5 will be digital only both in EU/US just like SSD

Prelude.

What's so ridiculous about it? I'm well aware of what retail failures Sony has experienced with Vita in the past.

In fact it's your post that is ridiculous. Just because you smashed your head to a wall once (or twice or whatever) doesn't mean you have to keep doing it.
I'm not a Sony investor and I'm not emotionally invested in a piece of hardware, I only care about the games and my customer rights. Sony being retarded has nothing to do with what I'll buy for their platforms.

Sendou

I'm not a Sony investor and I'm not emotionally invested in a piece of hardware, I only care about the games and my customer rights. Sony being retarded has nothing to do with what I'll buy for their platforms.

Lol it's not your "customer right" to get any product at all. It sounds you're emotionally invested to be honest. I'm still not seeing how Sony is "retarded" here. I think they're acting pretty rationally.

Sendou

How do you explain that SCEE released Vita Pets physically then?

That's a weak argument. Maybe it's a past mistake they learned from? That said "Vita Pets" says nothing to me at all. Still I would imagine Vita Pets is more of a casual title that is aimed for customers that are way more likely to buy at retail. In other words either it will get a retail release or no release at all. Don't you see the difference to Freedom Wars? How many copies do you think are not going to get sold because the game will not get a retail release? Are we even talking about hundreds? I'm not going to question Sony's intent any further but seriously releasing a Vita retail game in 2014? I just don't think that's good business. Certainly not for something as niche as this (not that Vita has anything else coming but you get what I mean). I would get used to this. It's easy to see Sony bringing stuff over from Japan but I think digital format is better suited for them. Vita user base seems to be pretty extraordinary adaptive to digital environment and Sony knows that.

Prelude.

Lol it's not your "customer right" to get any product at all. It sounds you're emotionally invested to be honest.
I don't own digital games, that's what I was referring to with "customer rights".
I don't want to overpay to rent a game that will be available until they decide to remove it from their servers for whatever reason.
I'm still not seeing how Sony is "retarded" here. I think they're acting pretty rationally.
I wouldn't exactly call "rational" greenlighting a game and doing everything you can to not sell it by not advertising it and limiting access to it. Not to mention the simple fact that their biggest title of the year, in development since 2011, is getting a digital release like a random indie game with probably even less marketing.

jengo

GyJGaFO.png

Pffft, that's an online play ticket. Get outta here ya fake! ;D

And it is an interesting decision, but I can't imagine it was made arbitrarily.

Zhao_Yun

That's a weak argument. Maybe it's a past mistake they learned from? That said "Vita Pets" says nothing to me at all. Still I would imagine Vita Pets is more of a casual title that is aimed for customers that are way more likely to buy at retail. In other words either it will get a retail release or no release at all. Don't you see the difference to Freedom Wars? How many copies do you think are not going to get sold because the game will not get a retail release? Are we even talking about hundreds? I'm not going to question Sony's intent any further but seriously releasing a Vita retail game in 2014? I just don't think that's good business. Certainly not for something as niche as this (not that Vita has anything else coming but you get what I mean). I would get used to this. It's easy to see Sony bringing stuff over from Japan but I think digital format is better suited for them. Vita user base seems to be pretty extraordinary adaptive to digital environment and Sony knows that.

Well, Vita Pets was released 4 weeks ago and I doubt that's far enough to label it as a "past mistake" already. So there you have your Vita retail game in 2014.
I see your point that a casual game might do better at retail but I doubt that there are a lot of casual gamers who bought a Vita so I can't see that game selling. Besides, I don't agree with you that FW is as niche as you describe it. Games like Demon Gaze or Ys: MoC are niche (and were released at retail by NISA) and since NISA continues to sell their games at retail on Vita they probably didn't sold too bad. I doubt FW would sell worse than those real "niche" games to be honest.

Cloudy

Banned
More like having a half of brain for business. This would literally sell 5 copies on retail. Vita fans don't give a fuck. If you're still on board with that machine I think nothing can sway you. In fact it's a miracle this game is even coming over.

Why not make it a gamestore-only release with a limited run or something. How much does it cost to package games?

Especially when it's being released physically in NA

Puru

That's gonna help for the online multiplayer aspect when it's implemented... (by that i mean less player because they do not like digital)

Maybe i should get the japanese version.

$h@d0w

Are people seriously complaining about having an online pass for a digital only release? It's not like it's a separate charge or anything.

List of reason to buy a Vita:

Persona 4 Golden
Gravity Rush
Tearaway
Ys: Memories of Celceta
Freedom Wars

It'll get to 10 and I'll buy one some day.... maybe.

Are people seriously complaining about having an online pass for a digital only release? It's not like it's a separate charge or anything.
you misread. They complain about online pass because they want to import a retail version to play on their EU account.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Well this is really a stupid move by SCEE.especially since this seems to be Sony's Vita biggest game to date. Europe also seems not all on digital, even PC dev sell their games and m,any steamworks games on discs in Europe, now add how expensive and small the Vita memcards and you'll cut many people from buying Vita biggest first party game of the year.

seems like SCEE just don't care or just gave up on Vita or something.

Zhao_Yun

People are complaining because an online pass hinders EU users from importing the US retail version and playing it online unless they change to a US account.

I was probably going to import it from America anyway considering it's budget priced, but this confirms it! Don't care about any of the online multiplayer stuff, but this certainly sucks for those who do. =\ If a physical English translated option exists somewhere in the world, I'll go for that every time.

fvng

the less games on my shelf the better. was always on board with all digital portables, I even thought the psp go was a good idea.. just felt its execution was awful (namely expensive games and bad availability of games on psn)

Takao

Banned

I only brought up SSD to show that the western release of FW is probably going to stick with an online pass.

Raonak

Banned
Weird, considering this is one of the big vita titles for the year.

I mean, ill get it anyway, but weird.

Foshy

Good for you Sony, you lost one sale with SS Delta and now with Freedom Wars too.
That's kinda close minded though. Do you not buy digital titles at all? Sure, it's annoying, but in the end nothing changes other that you don't have a case to show off in your collection. The game is still the same.

*sigh*

Give us a choice, man!

I'm still getting it day one. From what I've seen, the game looks so much fun. Really looking forward to it.

Cha

B-But, I'm so used to SCEE feeding us physicals :(
Was not expecting this, especially since it's one of the major releases for the year.

At least I don't have to import the UK release this time, but I feel for you guys.That's really going to screw up online play for EU Vita owners that want a physical copy, like it did for me with Soul Sacrifice Delta.

I can barely even make sense of why who gets what anymore.

Meanwhile this thing got physical release:
13577738095_7a55e0d14f_c.jpg

Good Job Sony.

I imported that. You shut your mouth about Playstation Vita Pets.

I love how a few people have posted, it doesn't effect me so there's no issue, that is a terrible mindset to have in life, just because something doesn't effect you doesn't mean it won't effect someone else.

Awrans

Neo Member
Europe market dosen't care about these kind of games, only a few players cares there. That's all there is.

sublimit

Banned
Europe market dosen't care about these kind of games, only a few players cares there. That's all there is.

I think there are more gamers in Europe who care about Japanese games in general than in NA. Remember how NoE went ahead and published the Operation Rainfall games last generation while NoA thought they were a lost cause?

RalchAC

It's a first party publisher. They need to set a good example to other publishers. And if Sony starts releasing their "big" games as digital only titles more stores could drop the system and sunk the system even more into irrelevance. If that happens, why will XSEED/Atlus/NISA keep bringing their games? Where are they going to distribute them?

They're doing themselves a diservice with this. And are telling the people who invested in the system that they don't give a fuck about us. I'll never understand the "deal with it" opinion some people have. I'm sure you won't use that half of brain you have for business if this affected to one franchise you like.

But hey, I suppose we all should need to kneel, close our eyes and blindly flatter Sony. There is stuff like Senran Kagura: Shinobi Versus or Project Diva f 2nd which are way more niche than FW getting a retail release. And those 2 games are from third party publishers. As the platform owner Sony has some responsibility with the system.

I'm sure J&D and Epic Mickey retail versiosn were a better investment.

I think there are more gamers in Europe who care about Japanese games in general than in NA. Remember how NoE went ahead and published the Operation Rainfall games last generation while NoA thought they were a lost cause?

Shhh... before someone from Sony finds this thread and cancels the NA retail release too.

luca_aros

Neo Member
Well this is wonderful news for a Thursday morning!
*sarcasmo* -_-

I think the PSVita has a pretty hardcore fanbase everywhere, but at least in Spain, and I'm pretty sure quite a few other EU countries, the PSVita has sold extremely well with the young male audience...so I don't understand why this is digital only.

As in I understand why, to a certain extent, but I think it is a missed opportunity as younger gamers download less (only form of payment is physical, parents/gifters do no buy downloads as presents), so as has happened with many JRPG/imported download-only games, this will sell less than expected and come out again again download only, or not at all... I'm looking at you EE and SMT IV (ill believe it when I see it)...

If a physical release is not given a chance in the first place, the audience will rarely move beyond small and niche.

A limited release like that will also hurt the online community. Soul Sacrifice and Toukiden died pretty fast already. A digital-only release won't help that matter.
Bummer, but this will be a PS+ game for me.

Can I ask why people are very much against this being digital-only? I totally understand not being happy because you'd rather have a physical product but shouldn't you be happy it makes it over at all? I would just like to know why people would miss out on what could be a great game just because it's digital only, because I don't really understand.

Top Bottom