• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FRIDAYTON MK II: 5.5 million bears and salmon create unholy allliance to sack SONY HQ

3 Games running in the background, Firefox has 500 tabs open, with each streaming 4k movies, skype is communicating with skynet via video chat and im running this all on a windows 7 with a VM running Windows 7 running minecraft.

Still have 11gb from 12gb left.

Maybe they took the Windows 8 route, we all know windows 8 is pure evil

Well that's not true at all. Way to blow it out of proportion. It takes up more memory than that.

Am i missing something here? Why are people suddenly starting to take this article as a fact? At least wait for the official confirmation/statement from Cerny Computer Entertainment.

Yoday

I am taking this with a grain of salt until we have confirmation. If such a huge amount was being used by the OS I feel like we would have gotten the info on it leaked out.

With that said, assuming this were true, I can imagine a scenario where Sony would do this. There are two important things to consider here. The first is that developers started building PS4 versions of games with only 3.5GB in mind, and second the amount of RAM dedicated to system operations is not set in stone. It is possible that Sony decided to overshoot the RAM allocation to the OS for launch. Doing this would ensure that their OS is running quickly and flawlessly without any unforeseen hiccups. It is likely that when they increased the amount of RAM in the system they decided to add in some multitasking features, but didn't have time to optimize the features RAM usage. While doing this wouldn't give developers much more RAM to work with, it would at least give them more than they were already targeting their launch games for, so their projects wouldn't be hurt in any way by the move.

If they did this then it is also likely that they mean for this to be the initial RAM allocation and plan on reducing it over time as they get real world data on how much their RAM their OS is using, and by making the OS more RAM efficient. It could be a move that makes sure they are able to provide an OS that gamers are happy with, as having too much RAM for the OS to use at launch is a hell of a lot better than having too little like the PS3 did. All doing this would mean for launch games is that they perform only a little better than XBone versions, instead of much better.

Nibel

Meltdowns here are delicious

Of course the 8GB RAM couldn't be exclusive to devs only - they still have a huge amount to play around with

flyshow

It was never an issue when Microsoft announced it, and it's not an issue now IMO. As long as they use it effectively to craft a cohesive content rich OS experience.

gaf tells me it was and is and will be an issue on Xbox One, however it's never an issue on PS4.

But it seems wholly unlikely that the current OS features consume 3.5GB of RAM, and if they do that seems costly and inefficient. It also seems unlikely that the OS has suddenly ballooned 5-7x.

In essence they're doubling RAM cost per unit to future proof their operating system reserves that at launch largely won't be utilised at all?

It just seems too daft for credulity.

Maybe, maybe not. But that's irrelevant, I wasn't commenting on the article's credibility, I was pointing out that people trying to "debunk" the article with that argument (which has happened again several times since I posted) are being very stupid.

so.. what is flexible memory?

It's not well detailed, but I assume it would work like this, it's a block of memory for non-essential OS functions. A developer can get permission from Sony to use that block in their games, presumably by turning off some elements in the operating system, but it seems like that RAM isn't reliable, and could be reclaimed by the OS at any time, so it's unlikely for any developer not part of Sony to rely on memory that can disappear at any time, and have to code/test for all those situations.

meppi

It was never an issue when Microsoft announced it, and it's not an issue now IMO. As long as they use it effectively to craft a cohesive content rich OS experience.

I feel that same way. We saw the (early) games and they look fine, so what's the problem?
Only the ones who constantly posted "8GBDDR5!!!!!!!!" in any thread that had anything to do with either the PS4 or the Xbox One seem to be getting their panties in a bunch.

Maybe, maybe not. But that's irrelevant, I wasn't commenting on the article's credibility, I was pointing out that people trying to "debunk" the article with that argument (which has happened again several times since I posted) are being very stupid.
Thank you! At least there are a couple of people with common sense posting in the thread. :)

Hari Seldon

time to choose, 7GB for games and a slow-ass stuttering interface or 4.5GB for games and a fast, responsive always snappy interface.

1GB of RAM is way more than enough for OS plus apps. People don't realize how much 3.5 or even 2.5 is. That is like running every app on the PS4 at once. There is no need to do that. This is a game console not a fucking app launcher.

lunlunqq

Ha! Somebody actually put my comment in the old thread onto that so called "wall of shame"... Where's your Cerny god now? I told you Sony's gonna fuck this one up.

That sweet cross-game chat function does not come for free though. I will have to give them that.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
They shouldn't need 2-3 GB to do that.

That's not the point, the OS isn't bloated, this isn't about the OS at all. This is about reserved app space. How much they need depends on what they are using and what they intend to have available to apps. It is impossible to grow the reserved space later if needed, but easy to give it back when they decide they don't.

Developers are making the transition from a system with ~0.45GB available to ones with ~5GB. I don't think they are in pain. In a sense these systems are really 4 GB gaming consoles with RAM added for non-gaming.

Like the article says, as the OS and system matures, they will probably give back memory to developers like they did on the PS3.

Zyae

So much for "8GB GDDR5".

It was good knowing you PS4.

Kind of feel disappointed given how Sony keeps on touting this to be a "GAME" machine and yet provides similar footprint to xbone which is clearly designed to be a multi-media machine.

It boggles my mind knowing that the OS in PS4 isn't even 3 pronged and not to mention, it doesn't even have kinect to allocate memory resources to.

Its funny because you and hundreds of others believed their bullshit this time around. They want the same thing MS does. They just wont come out and say it

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Are there games out there using more than 5 gigs of RAM? I'm kinda confused as to why people think this is a problem.

Anpanman

Banned
It makes sense actually since most of the games on the PS4 are multiplatform and most developers are already working with the xbone ram limitation and it future proof your machine .

So you expect us to believe that Sony increased the footprint of their OS intentionally so that the games wouldn't be any better than the Xbox One's? Yeah, that makes perfect sense.

Justin

1 gig of memory is "flexible" in that it can be used by games if the OS doesn't need it.

Wouldn't this mean that games would be designed with only the 4.5 avaiable? How could they anticipate how much the OS would need at any given time? I guess they could have the ability to force off OS features if they need the extra 1gb

If it's true, pre-order cancelled. I want a games machine, not something to run multiple instances of Netflix at the same time.

I thought Sony promised us a games machine?

It's Eurogamer, so I'll take it with a grain of salt.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Meltdowns here are delicious

Of course the 8GB RAM couldn't be exclusive to devs only - they still have a huge amount to play around with

What meltdowns? All I see are people trolling and trying to find out what exactly is going on here because with the information we have, none of it is making a lick of sense.

Cerny: System for developers

Adam: dev told us if you don't have 8GB of Ram you're dead.

Sony adds an additional 4GB of ram to equal 8GB's and

Gives devs 512mb of 4GBytes.

Turn the fucking thing into an app machine.

All that goodwill of its about games are out the window.

Vestal

Gold Member
So you expect us to believe that Sony increased the footprint of their OS intentionally so that the games wouldn't be any better than the Xbox One's? Yeah, that makes perfect sense.

Maybe they realized they would also like to compete with MS on the Apps front, and only way to do that is to provide the same sort of flexibility as MS..

Who knows.. We will obviously need clarification from Sony on this.

softie

Eurogamer again? Well their stories were certainly flawed the last times... *cough*7min. recording*cough*192 magic boosts/s*cough*

MoeB

The reserved amount will change as time goes by. They will optimize the OS to use less memory. It has been done before.

Ha! Somebody actually put my comment in the old thread onto that so called "wall of shame"... Where's your Cerny god now? I told you Sony's gonna fuck this one up.

That sweet cross-game chat function does not come for free though. I will have to give them that.

Tempting fate, sirrah.

Name some. It's obvious that PS4 is built for multitasking. Like Vita and something like a PC. 5.5gb of memory will be more than enough for what devs need initially.

I'm not in the camp that thinks that Sony needs to chase OS feature-parity with MS to stay in the game this coming gen. Sure, fundamentally useful stuff like cross-game voice chat would be nice, but IMO MS tends to chase a lot of bloat and I'd rather Sony not follow suit. I think they're capable of matching the features worth matching with a much smaller footprint.

And besides, isn't part of the reason why MS has such a large RAM partition reserved for the OS to begin with partially because of Kinect 2.0? So why does Sony need to try and match those numbers when the PS Eye isn't part of the default kit?

Top Bottom