• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FRIDAYTON MK II: 5.5 million bears and salmon create unholy allliance to sack SONY HQ

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Wow, 2.5GB-3.5GB is insane amount for a console OS. I just don't understand what either Sony or MS are thinking. Maybe they just realize that much memory makes sense with the overall capability of other components, and that's about it :\

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Ouch. 3.5 GB for the OS? Seems like overkill. I'd much rather have game be able to use more of that and have the OS have less features.

I called it! I knew 1GB was utter bullshit when they first reported that. Everything Sony has been doing has been nothing but PR stunts just to 1up MS this year. Nothing but Knee Jerk reactions. Eventually the truth was bound to surface.

Guys, smokey wasn't pulling a strawman. That's just how he signs his posts.

gaf
The sign off isn't the strawman part.

Reactions to this news have largely been (justified imo) negativity or skepticism. People presumably don't take kindly to unwarranted accusations of hypocrisy.

iNvid02

what if sony are bringing otherOS back. each PS4 could come with ubuntu pre installed and running continuously in the background using a measly 3.5GB of RAM.

surprise gamescom reveal

solarus

I'll ask you a simple question. After multitasking, quick resume, sleep, background downloading and installing, recording, cross game chat, notifications and etc. What more would you want out of an OS.
This is fucking dumb, I am no developer or designer. Many features we take for granted now people could simply not have asked for/thought of before hand, this applies for everythjng not just this dumb argument you are posing for the PS4 os. Before the iphone you could have posed the same question to people "what more could you want out of a phone" and they would not think of "no keys just a single capactive screen and touch os with a home button". How do you expect me to come up with whatever features the OS may implement in the future. Why did I even bother answering this.

Find this hard to believe, taking Vita into consideration.

PS4's features is basically just everything Vita is already doing, at a larger screen, with 15 minutes video recording.

So where do we stand on this being true? I think it is pretty stupid if it stays like this long-term. The goal better be to free up a GB or 2 of that RAM later if this is true.

trmas

Banned
I think Sony is just being cautious for now, until they figure out exactly what they have to work with. This should be an entertaining thread though.

Drek

The concerning thing is that getting the flexible RAM is "isn't trivial". That may be what complicates ports between X1 and PS4.

Which directly conflicts with everything Cerny and developers have said about memory use on the PS4. In fact, making memory access easy and painless was explicitly why Sony chose to forego and embedded RAM for the PS4.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
PlayStation 4 is also capable of similar feats, perhaps in a manner more closely resembling that of PS Vita - the game is paused, apps are switched over seamlessly and, once exited, gameplay continues without having to restart the code. The convenience and functionality is undeniable

This is awesome stuff if done correctly. I completely approve...

The thing is, PS4 is a stepping stone coming from Vita. THey are preaching to the converted and are just fluffing up their piece. With 8GB of memory, both Xbone and PS4 will have a lot of room for good OS functions on top of games.

Just like Vita' 512mb working alongside the 128mb of OS.

More ram for games the better. I could give 2 fucks less about any OS feature that would take god damn 3.5 gigs of ram. The PS4 OS has to be the worst since windows ME. The PS4 is under powered but at least the ram made it worth 399.99. But no ram no buy at 399.99. I have been gaming for a long time and this up coming generation looks to be by far the worst.

You're wrong and I can't say much more than that.

rdrr gnr

I called it! I knew 1GB was utter bullshit when they first reported that. Everything Sony has been doing has been nothing but PR stunts just to 1up MS this year. Nothing but Knee Jerk reactions. Eventually the truth was bound to surface.
This is like your exact post from the other thread. Are you a parody account?

iSpxXFnwJh21z.gif

How can Sony 1UP MS when they were first? Dude.. Go to bed. Sleep

Mokubba

lol

When did they report 1GB?

Odrion

Banned
Indeed. It boggles my mind how Sony's 'gaming console' could demand such RAM. And here I thought 1GB would have been more than enough for the OS itself.
For a modern console OS I was expecting 2 gigs.

1 gig sounds like it's not enough for the features already presented to us while still being snappy.

I bet it's true. Sony seemed to be pretty damn quick on the trigger before with other "misinformation".

Oh man, so much for transparency and clear messages if so.

Exactly, look what we were able to do with 512mb this gen, we have at least ten times that available this time.

Hey might as well just go Nintendo's route when you start thinking like that.

Did you even read the title of this thread? OR the OP?

Even the title says 5.5GB

Goddamn reading comprehension
Under "special circuminstances". To be honest, I'd bank on more games having 4.5GBs of RAM instead of 5.5GBs, depending on what the special circuminstance is. I'm totally guessing an OS feature has to be disabled, and the share button makes the most sense. I'll be honest and say, if sharing has to be disabled for games to use 5.5GBs, it's no deal. I'll take sharing plus 4.5GBs.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

Thread was worth it....

Just that he didn't know what the hell he was talking about and swallowed a ton of techno-babble hook, line, and sinker. None of the numbers he used made sense relative to known specs, and the techniques he referred to aren't some magic tricks only viable on XB1.

Kind of like this article, where he's clearly using the old KZ slides to make his argument, even though he's claiming his info comes from a "post memory bump SDK".

What you need to assume in order to believe this article are the following things:
1. That Leadbetter actually has a clue this time (dubious).
2. That Jon Blow and company, a self confessed small little team doing very little memory optimization, have somehow already tapped into over half of this "extra" memory pool for The Witness.
3. That Sony is spending ~$40-$50 more per unit for almost nothing but OS memory footprint.
4. That Sony has completely rebuilt their OS within the last few months to go from a 512MB OS to a 3.5GB OS.
5. That Adam Boyes was full of shit when he said they met developer demands for 8GB (this demand confirmed by noted self promoter Randy Pitchford, who likely has seen final SDK docs).

So yeah. We'll see what the actual number is, but the likelihood that Eurogamer of all publications are 100% right is pretty damn slim.

Great summary.

Too many people are willing to accept any bad news toward Sony without actually thinking how logical the news is.

I find the credibility of this arcticle in doubt.

Yado

I don't see why this would change much for people who intend to buy a PS4. Do the games we've seen suddenly look worse now that we know they're using less RAM?

androvsky

Which directly conflicts with everything Cerny and developers have said about memory use on the PS4. In fact, making memory access easy and painless was explicitly why Sony chose to forego and embedded RAM for the PS4.

Exactly... are we sure someone didn't swap in a page from Microsoft's SDK?

Wynnebeck

Banned

lol The Wall of Shame is going to have some choice quotes tonight.

Top Bottom