• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FRIDAYTON MK II: 5.5 million bears and salmon create unholy allliance to sack SONY HQ

_woLf

Not cancelling my preorder but this is a pretty big deal. There is no reason at all the OS should be using 3.5GB of RAM.

i-Lo

Let me ask another pertinent question:

How can tablets like iPad/newer androids manage to multi-task (albeit limited) when the total amount of RAM being 1GB? On the PS4, last I checked, there is no true multi-tasking (like browsing and gaming at the same time with a divided screen or browsing and watching netflix etc simultaneously). In general, most people keep multiple tabs and multiple programs open (not background stuff) but seldom use more than one thing at a time. The most common combination is listening to music along side browsing, editing pictures or the like.

Are we really expect people to do more than 2 different things at a time (360 attained cross game, chat and custom soundtrack simultaneously with a meagre 32MB OS)?

Yes, I am keenly aware that they use their own mobile apps that are less resource intensive and occupy far less space once they are relegated to become a part of the background process. So the question is, why can't we have it for PS4 (and xbone) for that matter?

The only feature innate to PS4 which could be a resource hog is remote play via vita but even then, PS4 won't simultaneously be playing one game while streaming another.

So after reading Eurogamer's story and various 'insider' posts in here, here's what i came up with:

4.5gb's guaranteed for games.

1.5 gb's for the OS w/ 1gb being set aside (off limits for game development) for future-proofing the OS. Over time the amount of ram needed for the OS will shrink & the extra ram will be made available for developers.

The last 1gb is "flexible' so it could go for game development (graphics,etc..) or OS type features (in game chat,etc...) depending on what the developer wants or Sony may decide to wall it off from developers and reserve it for even more future proofing of the OS.

Optimize the OS Sony. There is no reason it can't be done with 2 GB. I thought 1 GB was a bit extreme but the PS Vita's OS made me believe it's possible. 3 GB just seems a lot for a little.

what the fook is this thread? NO really, I'm actually asking what the hell is going on? Is this a joke? Are people hear seriously upset about some arbitrary numbers getting changed and technical points the majority of gaming forum staff don't even comprehend?

Whoa? the amount of pages here I thought something seriously happened, and as I keep scrolling through, I just get more and more disappointed I still have to be labeled with a group called "gamers"

Utter nonsense...This is not some defense to Sony, but man, what developers are actually coming out and complaining about any of this? if it's 4gb, 5.5, 6.5gb, what does that really matter if the games come out looking amazing? And, cant sony just change things at developers request? WTF is the problem here? So far, Sony seems to have the more powerful system, but the gap is only measured by the content, and we all have to wait for that to happen still. Really, just turned my stomach coming in here. The fook is wrong with this place? Wait till the games come fellas...That's all there is to it..

filopilo

Yes when they confirm that announcing 8 GB for games was to make them look better than Microsoft infront of the world and that there is 4 GB alloted for OS instead of 3.5GB. Meltdown continues and Sony Fanboys continue to say. " THIS MUST BE FALSE" LMAO.

LOL.It is False.That's the beauty of the end of this story.

Oh, and the press republishing the same crap is pretty amusing.

kadotsu

Banned
3GB for XB1's OS seemed excessive against the rumored 1GB PS4 OS. It seems that both will lean in heavily into the task switching app aspect next gen. As long as this also means that we'll get snappy UIs on both systems I'm ok with this. I can't stand the fucking loading times for simple apps and library features.

That's something I don't understand either. 1.5 for the OS, cool. An additional 1 GB for 'additional features'. Ok... But then another 1 on top of that being blocked off for no apparent reason? If Sony was going to block off all this RAM, as much as the One, I wouldn't be as mad if they actually DID something with it. There's a reason the One has so much RAM blocked off such as kinect integration, all the TV functionality, 3 OSs, etc. I fail to see what feature on PS4 necessitates that potentially more is corralled off.

No inside info or nothing here, just interpreting what was said:

- 1GB is already reserved for the OS, for future proof, and implement features, the plan is probably to never give it back, unless they can't come up with new features.
- On top of that there's one extra GB, that sony still don't know if it will be useful for the OS, so currently they are letting developers use it, but they have to understand that memory is optional and might not be there all the time. That is most likely the first chunk of memory that will be given back to developers by the time Sony matures where they want to take their console.

ultron87

Correct.

5gb as of right now is plenty for anyone. As for year 4... we'll see. But Microsoft and Sony both have the means to cut the bloat out of their OS. So year four may see increases for both.

The sony fans that have been taunting microsoft fans with "LOLOLOL 5gb of ram lolol" have egg on their face and they should. Both systems are powerful and can still improve with better tools and firmware upgrades. In fact we may be hearing about a bump in MS specs soon. Or maybe not. Rumors are rampant this time of year.

I'm off to work. So for real, i'm leaving this thread now. Until my boss leaves and I get on my phone.

Lovely. Thanks for the clarification. I'm kind of glad I've mostly stayed away from these "rah rah numbers" threads.

FluxWaveZ

what the fook is this thread? NO really, I'm actually asking what the hell is going on? Is this a joke? Are people hear seriously upset about some arbitrary numbers getting changed and technical points the majority of gaming forum staff don't even comprehend?

Whoa? the amount of pages here I thought something seriously happened, and as I keep scrolling through, I just get more and more disappointed I still have to be labeled with a group called "gamers"

Utter nonsense...This is not some defense to Sony, but man, what developers are actually coming out and complaining about any of this? if it's 4gb, 5.5, 6.5gb, what does that really matter if the games come out looking amazing? So far, Sony seems to have the more powerful system, but the gap is only measured by the content, and we all have to wait for that to happen still. Really, just turned my stomach coming in here. The fook is wrong with this place? Wait till the games come fellas...That's all there is to it..

You're overreacting to overreaction.

Correct.

5gb as of right now is plenty for anyone. As for year 4... we'll see. But Microsoft and Sony both have the means to cut the bloat out of their OS. So year four may see increases for both.

The sony fans that have been taunting microsoft fans with "LOLOLOL 5gb of ram lolol" have egg on their face and they should. Both systems are powerful and can still improve with better tools and firmware upgrades. In fact we may be hearing about a bump in MS specs soon. Or maybe not. Rumors are rampant this time of year.

I'm off to work. So for real, i'm leaving this thread now. Until my boss leaves and I get on my phone.

HUH?!?!?

test_account

XP-39C²
I canceled it almost a week ago purely for financial reasons and not being able to justify buying into it day one.

Once I saw someone bring up the pre-order canceled meme I knew I could actually sell it as being real because I did have cancellation emails. I really just wanted to see how many people would eat it up.
Ok, i see, thanks for the answer.

Not cancelling my preorder but this is a pretty big deal. There is no reason at all the OS should be using 3.5GB of RAM.

From the stuff shinobi posted the OS is not using 3.5GB and never will. The max it will use is 2.5GB, and the bloat will probably be cut over the years as developers start needing more.

I think Sony should at some point clarify that this memory holding is not intended to be permanent. I think they could easily explain they want to make sure they have enough RAM for OS features before finalizing it. They won't be able to get RAM back once games are released.

Guymelef

Just asked o_sharp, and he told me that Eurogamer might have some misunderstanding here.

http://bbs.a9vg.com/thread-3546518-1-1.html

1. The system OS will not use flexible memory.
2. Flexible memory is "heap"(Well, I don't know what's that, so probably DevGaf could help with this one.)
3. On DevCon, SCE said they will try to get more RAM for gaming from system OS. But it's quite hard, because PS4 should do multi-task like recording and live-streaming, etc.
4.According to his research for now, which he is not so confirm about it. So, probably, when you recording a 15 minutes video, the data is in ram. Only when Share is pressed, then data will flush into HDD. The game will need to pause for gpu suspension for throughput. live-streaming is in ram.

Wait...if anything wrong, will I get banned? X_X NooOooOoOooo

Doesn't make any sense.

madmackem

How can tablets like iPad/newer androids manage to multi-task (albeit limited) when the total amount of RAM being 1GB? On the PS4, last I checked, there is no true multi-tasking (like browsing and gaming at the same time with a divided screen or browsing and watching netflix etc simultaneously). In general, most people keep multiple tabs and multiple programs open (not background stuff) but seldom use more than one thing at a time. The most common combination is listening to music along side browsing, editing pictures or the like.

Are we really expect people to do more than 2 different things at a time (360 attained cross game, chat and custom soundtrack simultaneously with a meagre 32MB OS)?

Yes, I am keenly aware that they use their own mobile apps that are less resource intensive and occupy far less space once they are relegated to become a part of the background process. So the question is, why can't we have it for PS4 (and xbone) for that matter?

The only feature innate to PS4 which could be a resource hog is remote play via vita but even then, PS4 won't simultaneously be playing one game while streaming another.

It depends how you define multitask as we have already been shown multitasking.

The PS4's "multi tasking" seems a lot like iOS's where the two applications aren't actually running in parallel. The background applications are in a suspended state until they are awoken by switching to them.

The XboxOne's "snap" multi tasking is actually two applications running at the same time, both on the screen. However it also has the ability to suspend background applications and instantly switch between them.

Dits

15 min intervals of 1080p gameplay footage being recorded and rendered will require a lot of RAM, especially without affecting gameplay.

None of you guys complaining honestly thought devs had access to ALL 8GB, right? I mean, right?

Okay, honestly, I don't really care to weigh much at this juncture, but these posts seem almost as silly to me as the "I've seriously cancelled my pre-order without waiting for any sort of confirmation because this is bullshit" posts. The difference between "developers will have access to 100% of that 8GB of RAM" and "devlopers will have access to 5.5 -- or 69% -- of the system's RAM" or worse "developers will have access to 4.5 -- or 56% -- of the system's RAM" is not insubstantial.

My recommendation would be to wait for the dust to settle. But if there's meat to these rumors -- while I don't advise devolving into console warrior nonsense and hyperbole -- it's worth understanding that this does take a bit of the wind from the sales just in terms of what a juggernaut this system will be. This is particularly true for those of us that aren't exactly all that excited for the OS features to begin with.

Orayn

15 min intervals of 1080p gameplay footage being recorded and rendered will require a lot of RAM, especially without affecting gameplay.

About 1GB, but it would be beyond wasteful to keep all of it in RAM when the hard drive is easily fast enough.

Yeah, I missed that. We may be hearing about a bump in Xbox One specs soon?
Their was rumors of either an upclock or swapping out the boards with the devkit boards which contain 12GB of RAM. Though none of those have clear leads and its best if you just ignore them, for now.

You're overreacting to overreaction.
so is the majority of the thread then just tongue and cheek and more humorous than complaining? I really got a complaining vibe from reading through 4-5 pages, can't tell if sarcasms or not..

if it is complaining and not sarcasms and humor, no...I don't think I'm overreacting at all, it's the most short-sighted, impatient/ignorant posts I've read in a while...

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Their was rumors of either an upclock or swapping out the boards with the devkit boards which contain 12GB of RAM. Though none of those have clear leads and its best if you just ignore them, for now.

Oh, this silly rumor about upping the Xbone RAM to 12 GB 3 months before launch. Wishful dreams.

Booshka

Same with Streaming via Ustream or Twitch for Sony and MS respectively, running a game and streaming it at the same time with a side UI for chatting and viewer interaction definitely needs some RAM.

Being able to switch between games seamlessly (and other apps) is a very important feature for me. the rest of the RAM is plenty. Current gen has 0.5GB for fucks sake. The leap next gen is HUGE-especially with GDDR5.

PS1 -> 2 MB RAM
PS2 -> 32 MB RAM
PS3 -> 512 MB of RAM
PS4 -> 8000 MB of RAM.

16x multiplier seems to work from gen to gen. I don't see the huge leap. It would be more interesting to see system reserves for OS purposes.

Playstation 3 -> Started with 120 MB (23%), finished with 50Mb? (10% - in 2010)
Playstation 4 -> Starts with 3.5 GB (38%)

So same increase in ram, but less percentage available.

glenn8

Banned
A short glimpse at those filthy criminals over IGN

d9d6a0a18cb4ae6c879383595b2ce2ba.gif

Top Bottom