• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FRIDAYTON MK II: 5.5 million bears and salmon create unholy allliance to sack SONY HQ

Anhkow

Sony just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about RAM (I'm an expert), but the amount that is useable for devs and OS are huge parts of it. It's not like it is with Microsoft where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw gamers over regarding RAM availability, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the gaming public and devs, after hearing about this, are not going to want to purchase a PS4 or develop for it, they will buy a Xbox One instead which has more RAM available for games. This is HUGE (just like the amount of RAM available for gaming of the XB1 compared to the PS4). You can laugh all you want, but Sony has alienated the entire market with this move.

It's over, period. Sony lost their last ace, and that's the end of their PS4 hopes and dreams.

It's not hyperbole, it's not fanboy drivel. It is LITERALLY it for PS4. Sony has nothing left, nothing they have can fix the hole now created. There is no reason left for anyone, hardcore or casual, to substantially invest in a PS4. Except if they want to play Driveclub. Which will suck because it won't be using 8GB of that glorious GDDR5.

Sony themselves took the last reason away that anyone would NEED to own a PS4 over a Xbox One (except GAIKAI CLOUD LOL GAMING), and the cavalcade of tiny indie titles that will be nice but won't add more RAM, it's just simply not going to salvage the bloated, underdesigned midget that is the PS4

There may be some hardcore gamers that stick around. Some did it for Gamecube too. But the last bell tolled. Maybe next decade.

The age of Sony is done.

EHMSQoa.gif

FINALBOSS

Banned
much? We won't really see any differences between the platforms.

What is clear is that the difference between PC and consoles this generation is going to be bonkers.

Not sure how you can possibly say we won't see any differences.

Esp with it being 50% more powerful.

Honestly.

So many politically correct statements like this in this thread. A spade's a spade man.

I for one am not worried at all. If you had PS3 since launch and went through all of those growth pains to seeing what the console is now, this should not even be an issue.

I have no doubt Sony will continue to improve on the PS4 through its lifetime and now they have the memory to do that. I am here for the exclusives anyway. Seeing games like Uncharted, Last Of Us, Journey and Killzone on PS3 with less that 512MB to work with...are you really worried about what these first Party Devs are going to be able to do?

The games will look great and the tools will get better with time. Non issue IMO

velociraptor

In that case, forget it, give PS4 1GB of RAM. You see where I am coming from, yes you can make an amazing game with 4.5GB RAM, but with 7GB you can do more. 7GB>4.5GB>1GB>512MB, this is all basic maths the higher number is always better. We assumed PS4 had at the least 6GB dedicated to games, now it's 4GB of course some people will be disappointed as this is a thread about RAM.
I am somewhat hoping that Sony wise up and actually limit the OS to a maximum of 2GB. I feel this should be more than enough to add whatever superfluous feature that nobody will use, allowing developers to bring the best from the console with 6GB.

Can't tell if serious, this looks amazing for PS3

I am. As a graphic whore who loves playing stuff at 2fps on pc just to get every single piece of super sampling out of it, The last of us still looked fantastic and it's one of my favorite games in a long time for sure. That said the fps drops which there was quite a few of and aliasing and such at times made me think of how mind blowing it would have looked on ps4 or a good pc.... I just can't help not think that sometimes.

Dambrosi

Banned

I don't know how much the rest of you know about RAM (I'm an expert), but the amount that is useable for devs and OS are huge parts of it. It's not like it is with Microsoft where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw gamers over regarding RAM availability, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the gaming public and devs, after hearing about this, are not going to want to purchase a PS4 or develop for it, they will buy a Xbox One instead which has more RAM available for games. This is HUGE (just like the amount of RAM available for gaming of the XB1 compared to the PS4). You can laugh all you want, but Sony has alienated the entire market with this move.

It's over, period. Sony lost their last ace, and that's the end of their PS4 hopes and dreams.

It's not hyperbole, it's not fanboy drivel. It is LITERALLY it for PS4. Sony has nothing left, nothing they have can fix the hole now created. There is no reason left for anyone, hardcore or casual, to substantially invest in a PS3. Except if they want to play Driveclub. Which will suck because it won't be using 8GB of that glorious GDDR5.

Sony themselves took the last reason away that anyone would NEED to own a PS4 over a Xbox One (except GAIKAI CLOUD LOL GAMING), and the cavalcade of tiny indie titles that will be nice but won't add more RAM, it's just simply not going to salvage the bloated, underdesigned midget that is the PS4

There may be some hardcore gamers that stick around. Some did it for Gamecube too. But the last bell tolled. Maybe next decade.

The age of Sony is done.
Two for one, nice.

It's not worse than what the XBone has. That's absolute madness to even consider. What I'm saying is that the gap just closed significantly compared to where it was before.

And that IS a damn shame, regardless of how good 5.5GB of GDDR5 might be. It could have been better.

Yep, it could've had 120GB GDDR5 RAM and smite your enemies while you sleep.

All things considered, it's still more powerful and less expensive than its competitor, and doesn't forced "da futur of arm waving!!1!" cameras down your throat.

I'd still say Sony's in a good place.

Mung

How does the fact that resolution isn't really increasing this time around affect system and RAM requirements? Last gen had a lot higher res bump to deal with. This time it's very similar... Less increase in pixels to eat up memory? More emphasis on quality?

Pimpbaa

It's not worse than what the XBone has. That's absolute madness to even consider. What I'm saying is that the gap just closed significantly compared to where it was before.

The GPU alone in the PS4 is what made the gap so big to begin with. The bandwidth of the ram and the amount was just icing on the cake.

Ghazi

Like any console game, it leaves much to be desired in terms of visuals. Between the aliasing and blurry textures on various objects in the environment, it was definitely a console game. A high quality one, sure. But it's not perfect.

To the people who disagree with me, are you suggesting that the graphics were perfect and couldn't be improved in any way?
And then people bitch when others say that current gen still held the game back and how they'd love an 1080p, 60 fps, high res texture port. Regardless of if that's possible or not, I don't really care, it just sickens me when people go on witch hunts on other people for wishing for that.

Beautiful, NeoGAF.

Jarmel

Banned
How does the fact that resolution isn't really increasing this time around affect system and RAM requirements? Last gen had a lot higher res bump to deal with. This time it's very similar... Less increase in pixels to eat up memory? More emphasis on quality?

The resolution is increasing...

It's going from sub 720p to 1080p. That's a good difference.

It's not hyperbole, it's not fanboy drivel. It is LITERALLY it for PS4. Sony has nothing left, nothing they have can fix the hole now created. There is no reason left for anyone, hardcore or casual, to substantially invest in a PS4. Except if they want to play Driveclub. Which will suck because it won't be using 8GB of that glorious GDDR5.

The age of Sony is done.
I chuckled. Perfect post to retire both memes on.

quickwhips

4.5 not 5.5 what is the 1gb debugging thing even mean? I thought PS4 had dev kits why would you need a gig for debugging? This makes no sense just like my attempt at a sentence.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I'm not concerned with what the likes of Naughty Dog can manage to do with 4-5 GB of memory. I'm more concerned with what the OS needs to do with 2-3 GB of it.

And that IS a damn shame, regardless of how good 5.5GB of GDDR5 might be. It could have been better. Giving devs MORE to work with is never a bad thing, especially when the tradeoff is more worthless UI apps that nobody will ever actually use.
But the devs will get more to work with over time. How do you not understand that? 4.5 GB is for now where devs don't know how to even use more than 3 GB.

I this thread I learned:-

Neogaf have some posters that are clearly hypocrites. I have argued against a Sony bias for a while but now im unsure

People actually want the TvTvTv functions of The X1, the messaging was just wrong (Something which has been said from day one)

Sony have not changed their policy of giving with one hand and taking with another. Every Sony product I own, while On par and mostly better than its peers as at least one limitation that is absoultely rage inducing.

Everyone has forgotten how the promise of extra power has never been tapped in simlar consoles by the majority of developers ever. If its not there from Day 1, its not there at all.

That people are far far married to brands than their own pockets.

Whatever. I am a man of princple. If i criticise Microsoft for something, im not going to pretend its not a problem when Sony does it. Im out. Next gen can wait till its at a similar entry price as I got into this generation. If we have to wait till years 2 or 3 before we see games that take full advantage of PS4 hardware, then Ill wait 2 or 3 years. Im not going to put down hard earn cash on something that is less siginficant in abilty than previously advertised. Im nobodies mug.

Yep, it could've had 120GB GDDR5 RAM and smite your enemies while you sleep.

All things considered, it's still more powerful and less expensive than its competitor, and doesn't forced "da futur of arm waving!!1!" cameras down your throat.

I'd still say Sony's in a good place.

I just don't want there to be any confusion about the PS4's superiority. Any weakness whatsoever will be seen by the media as an advantage for the XBONE, given the way they've acted in the past.

As I said before, giving developers more to work with is never a bad thing, especially compared to just more shitty apps. I don't give a damn about apps - that shit is what my iPad is for. I want the beastliest games possible.

But the devs will get more to work with over time. How do you not understand that? 4.5 GB is for now where devs don't know how to even use more than 3 GB.

And if the theoretical cap is only 5.5, that's not a big enough jump. We don't need 2.5GB of worthless UI nonsense. I'd rather have a damn command prompt if it means the games are better.

Piggus

It amazes me how many people are forgetting that the OS can be streamlined and optimized to use less RAM, which is what they did on PS3. Do any of you honestly think Sony won't attempt to optimize the OS as the generation goes on?

Vashetti

Banned

1280x720 to 1920x1080 is huge.

Some people are going to be shocked when they play these new consoles on their 1080p TVs.

TheHater

In that case, forget it, give PS4 1GB of RAM. You see where I am coming from, yes you can make an amazing game with 4.5GB RAM, but with 7GB you can do more. 7GB>4.5GB>1GB>512MB, this is all basic maths the higher number is always better. We assumed PS4 had at the least 6GB dedicated to games, now it's 4GB of course some people will be disappointed as this is a thread about RAM.
People are just overacting to nothing. Sony reduce the PS3 OS footprint from around 150MB to around 50MB. Down the road, more RAM will be available to the developers as Sony reduce the PS4 memory footprint.
Sure more RAM is better, but that doesn't mean it will it will make a bad game into a good game.

kasane

Summary of thread:
Eurogamer Spain chief said on Twitter: "there's going to be some PS4 RAM drama, delayed to tomorrow due to Sony comment".
GAF:
iboXmzauce2uiX.gif

Eurogamer UK: "PS4 uses 3.5Gb of RAM for OS stuffs"
GAF:
i2X1U3cc4WOWn.gif

this is some /a/ shit right here. :)) So what is sony's statement?

Pretty much everything is a rumor and speculation at this point. I personally doubt we will see PS4 games that look significantly better then Xbox One games - even though it seems clear the PS4 has more power. First party games might look better, but I doubt people will see much difference in cross platform games.

FINALBOSS

Banned
That was my second time, thanks for jumping on me though.

No problem. Maybe it'll get you to stop and start typing something that adds to the discussion.

That said, I'm still gonna wait for something official to come from Sony in relation to this. I said it earlier, but just a few weeks ago we jumped on DF/Eurogamer for their confusing bullshit about upclocks/downclocks with the Xbone and Leadbetter. Not sure why everyone automatically assumes that this rumor is immediately true based on their recent track-record.

kinggroin

Banned
People are just overacting to nothing. Sony reduce the PS3 OS footprint from around 150MB to around 50MB. Down the road, more RAM will be available to the developers as Sony reduce the PS4 memory footprint.
Sure more RAM is better, but that doesn't mean it will it will make a bad game into a good game.

5.6 JB of ram won't be much different than 5.5

amr

Banned
It amazes me how many people are forgetting that the OS can be streamlined and optimized to use less RAM, which is what they did on PS3. Do any of you honestly think Sony won't attempt to optimize the OS as the generation goes on?
If you want to know what's actually going on, read this post.

It's 100% correct.

Top Bottom