• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FRIDAYTON MK II: 5.5 million bears and salmon create unholy allliance to sack SONY HQ

Chobel

Our worst fears confirmed.
2520585-thegaf.png
PS4 is doomed!!!

TheHater

I don't get this, and what. More is always better, yes they can squeeze a lot into a bit of RAM, but perhaps more RAM, would have made the game 1080p, more open environments and etc. People who are annoyed are not saying 4.5GB is shit, but 7GB as we once assumed would have been amazing.

how so? 7GB of ram isn't going to make a shiity game a great game. The Last of Us is one of my favorite games and that using less than 512MB of rams.

Toki767

So this is what it's like when a bunch of fanboys had to go through 2+ months of constant bad news and finally see some small bit of news to cling on to.

Courage

Yeah, since they seem to go down the same route as the XB1, loads of useless features that I will never use. In a couple of years more ram would matter for the exclusives.

It's still a console for gamers and even the features they're developing are oriented around gamers (multitasking, recording videos, livestreaming etc.)

Yawnier

Banned
Sony just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about RAM (I'm an expert), but the amount that is useable for devs and OS are huge parts of it. It's not like it is with Microsoft where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw gamers over regarding RAM availability, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the gaming public and devs, after hearing about this, are not going to want to purchase a PS4 or develop for it, they will buy a Xbox One instead which has more RAM available for games. This is HUGE (just like the amount of RAM available for gaming of the XB1 compared to the PS4). You can laugh all you want, but Sony has alienated the entire market with this move.

It's over, period. Sony lost their last ace, and that's the end of their PS4 hopes and dreams.

It's not hyperbole, it's not fanboy drivel. It is LITERALLY it for PS4. Sony has nothing left, nothing they have can fix the hole now created. There is no reason left for anyone, hardcore or casual, to substantially invest in a PS3. Except if they want to play Driveclub. Which will suck because it won't be using 8GB of that glorious GDDR5.

Sony themselves took the last reason away that anyone would NEED to own a PS4 over a Xbox One (except GAIKAI CLOUD LOL GAMING), and the cavalcade of tiny indie titles that will be nice but won't add more RAM, it's just simply not going to salvage the bloated, underdesigned midget that is the PS4

There may be some hardcore gamers that stick around. Some did it for Gamecube too. But the last bell tolled. Maybe next decade.

The age of Sony is done.

Wow, what an excellent combination and remix of the two greatest posts in the history of GAF.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about RAM (I'm an expert), but the amount that is useable for devs and OS are huge parts of it. It's not like it is with Microsoft where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw gamers over regarding RAM availability, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the gaming public and devs, after hearing about this, are not going to want to purchase a PS4 or develop for it, they will buy a Xbox One instead which has more RAM available for games. This is HUGE (just like the amount of RAM available for gaming of the XB1 compared to the PS4). You can laugh all you want, but Sony has alienated the entire market with this move.

It's over, period. Sony lost their last ace, and that's the end of their PS4 hopes and dreams.

It's not hyperbole, it's not fanboy drivel. It is LITERALLY it for PS4. Sony has nothing left, nothing they have can fix the hole now created. There is no reason left for anyone, hardcore or casual, to substantially invest in a PS4. Except if they want to play Driveclub. Which will suck because it won't be using 8GB of that glorious GDDR5.

Sony themselves took the last reason away that anyone would NEED to own a PS4 over a Xbox One (except GAIKAI CLOUD LOL GAMING), and the cavalcade of tiny indie titles that will be nice but won't add more RAM, it's just simply not going to salvage the bloated, underdesigned midget that is the PS4

There may be some hardcore gamers that stick around. Some did it for Gamecube too. But the last bell tolled. Maybe next decade.

The age of Sony is done.

tumblr_m99hb5ApIy1qc7mh1.jpg

Vashetti

Banned
lmao at the TLOU detractors in here.

If it was on the Xbox you'd be singing it's praises.

Since this is a shit on Sony thread, however...

Midou

Kind of feel like by the time any game would use 7GB of ram, the PS4 would be too weak to utilize it 100% anyways. I mean, there are plenty of open world games this gen on consoles that run on under 500. A game would have to be pretty damn good looking and pretty fucking open to use 7GB of ram like people assumed.

It's not hyperbole, it's not fanboy drivel. It is LITERALLY it for PS4. Sony has nothing left, nothing they have can fix the hole now created. There is no reason left for anyone, hardcore or casual, to substantially invest in a PS4. Except if they want to play Driveclub. Which will suck because it won't be using 8GB of that glorious GDDR5.

The age of Sony is done.

Not as good as the original, but still nice.

KoopaTheCasual

The age of Sony is done.

Man.... will Amir0x ever live that post down?

i-Lo

Next week we may see another shit storm when another (hypothetical) twitter post shows up claiming that the OS requires a certain percentage of PS4 GPU's processing power "at all times" bringing the TF figure down to around 1.23TF compared to Xbone's 1.107TF for games.

Sony is looking at all possible scenarios to level the playing field it seems.

Last of Us had a lot of low quality textures and glitches. It was only really pretty for a console game.

It was pretty because of its lighting and art direction.

But if railing their game lends credibility to your argument please do go on.

jaosobno

The age of Sony is done.

Ahahahhaa, I was wondering when someone will do this!

We haven't seen an official debunk yet? Christ. Hopefully this ends up not being true. If it is, Sony pretty much lost their last significant advantage over the XBONE. It'd be a really stupid move on their part.

Are you serious with this??

Please explain how giving devs 4.5-5.5GB GDDR5 RAM is equal to or worse than giving them 5GB DDR3 RAM? Then explain the same about the PS4's better GPU.

The age of Sony is done.

Bwahahaha

Let's see how many fall for it

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Last of Us had a lot of low quality textures and glitches. It was only really pretty for a console game.

Well just imagine if you took all the code for that game which is way less then 512mb and then added another 4Gb of high resolution textures to it. How would it look then?

KAL2006

Banned
how so? 7GB of ram isn't going to make a shiity game a great game. The Last of Us is one of my favorite games and that using less than 512MB of rams.

In that case, forget it, give PS4 1GB of RAM. You see where I am coming from, yes you can make an amazing game with 4.5GB RAM, but with 7GB you can do more. 7GB>4.5GB>1GB>512MB, this is all basic maths the higher number is always better. We assumed PS4 had at the least 6GB dedicated to games, now it's 4GB of course some people will be disappointed as this is a thread about RAM.

glenn8

Banned

The age of Sony is done.

That replacement with ps4. Masterwork.

prwxv3

Someone needs to start the wall of shame post so the neogaf shit posts guy does not have to go through this huge thread.

Just feels like I'm going to pay for a bunch of useless features since the OS needs so much damn RAM which could have been given to games instead, and I do believe that it will affect the exclusives in the future, I just don't know by how much, if at all. Anyway, just have a temporary FUD here lol.
But the games don't need it. How it is going to benefit games if no game is using it? They probably hit the limit of the CPU or GPU first before ever hitting the RAM limit. If they do hit it one day Sony will unlock more RAM. You don't have to worry about exclusives. This will actually make the games look better over time, because they will start to have more RAM available.

The exact same thing happened with the PS3. The only difference is now that both the OS and games have enough RAM available from the start.

well, everything I've seen looks great so far in the PS4 looks great, so...

besides, isn't GDDR5 much better than DDR3?

after that, XBone has 5 GB of DDR3 available for AAA games and PS4 will have 5.5 GB of GDDR5 available?

so, PS4>>>>>>XBone right? am I missing something?
You don't miss anything.

maneil99

My Guess is since they don't have official dev kits ( Dev kits have mroe ram then the console ships with, so the PS4 dev kit should have 12 gb ) They need to use alot of the ram in the PS4 for Debugging?

jWILL253

Banned
Now the Last of Us gets the piss as well?

I'm out. I'll come back to this thread whenever there is an official confirmation or whenever the game industry can grow up and just give a simple yes/no answer without being childish about it. Whichever comes first...

Valnen

It was pretty because of its lighting and art direction.

But if railing their game lends credibility to your argument please do go on.

Like any console game, it leaves much to be desired in terms of visuals. Between the aliasing and blurry textures on various objects in the environment, it was definitely a console game. A high quality one, sure. But it's not perfect.

To the people who disagree with me, are you suggesting that the graphics were perfect and couldn't be improved in any way?

Are you serious with this??

Please explain how giving devs 4.5-5.5GB GDDR5 RAM is equal to or worse than giving them 5GB DDR3 RAM? Then explain the same about the PS4's better GPU.

It's not worse than what the XBone has. That's absolute madness to even consider. What I'm saying is that the gap just closed significantly compared to where it was before.

And that IS a damn shame, regardless of how good 5.5GB of GDDR5 might be. It could have been better. Giving devs MORE to work with is never a bad thing, especially when the tradeoff is more worthless UI apps that nobody will ever actually use.

Top Bottom