• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Friend's TV changes resolution on his PS3 automatically when starting a game!

What. The. Hell?

I've never encountered this before. HDMI and video output settings seem fine. XMB shows as full-screen resolution on his 42" HDTV.

Then I click to start a game and the screen output changes automatically from 1080i 60hz to 1280x720 @60Hz and the game becomes a small box in the middle of his TV screen.

I've never had these issues with my set up, but I'm also not technically versed enough in the art of A/V set ups to figure this out. I've tried messing with the PS3's HDMI and Video output settings...but it's just not working for him.

Help me, GAF!

If I recall correctly, 720p is prioritized over 1080i if you have both selected as allowable resolutions in the video setup. Try disabling 720p - though if the software doesn't support 1080i that just might make it fall back to 480p or 480i.

Though, 720p might be nicer than 1080i given you can figure out how to scale it to the whole screen. What TV do your friend have that defaults it to 1:1 pixel mapping?

LegoArmo

This is normal, I believe? There'll be a setting on his TV to display the games full screen. The PS3 doesn't have a built in scaler like the 360, right?

How to do a Video Reset: With the PS3 in standby mode (red light on front of the PS3), hold the power button down until you hear two beeps (about 5 seconds). The PS3 will turn on and automatically reset giving you the best settings for the type of TV and cable being used.

worth a try

He probably has his set in 1:1 pixel mode. You'd need to search google with the model number to figure out which picture mode you want it in for 16:9. They all have different names, I think it's called "fit" on my TV.

What. The. Hell?
I've tried messing with the PS3's HDMI and Video output settings...but it's just not working for him.

Help me, GAF!

You can use those settings to force it to choose which resolutions it allows, if you can't get 720p to work right you may be able to force it to use 1080i only, but I'm not sure if all games accept it.

whitehawk

Banned
some TVs have the option to display resolutions natively 1:1. When I select 480p on my tv, the default setting is a small box in the middle of the screen. fiddle around with the stretch/view settings on the TV.

angrygnat

You've probably already tried this but isn't that stuff adjustable on the tv through the setting menus? Also I've heard of people having to update their TVs firmware.

Zoe

It's a feature, not a bug.

Games will play in their native resolutions if you have all settings checked.

Utnac

Banned
This is a TV settings issue. The PS3 will output the XMB at the highest resolution the TV will allow (in this case 1080i apparently) but can't output games at higher so will output games at their resolution (720p for the majority). The PS3 is doing nothing it shouldn't be.

CompC

This is normal. The PS3 doesn't upscale 720 games to 1080. So when you start a game that runs at 720p, it switches to outputting 720p instead of 1080i/p.

This is pretty annoying for me because my TV is old and only shows 1080i or 480p. So unless a game can run at 1080i, it shows up as 480p.

The black box around it for you is probably just a setting on the TV to show stuff 1:1 pixel instead of up scaling the 720p to fill the screen.

Eusis

Resolution changing's normal.

... but not the "play in a small box" thing. Check the TV settings when it's like that and see if there's something to make it fill up the screen. Though by all means go back if you prefer the crisper smaller image.

Thanks guys. Doing a custom set up of the HDMI output and unchecking the 720p worked. You guys rock. Thanks for all of your suggestions!

My TV is annoying. Every time it detects a widescreen image it stretches it to fill the screen. Side borders too.

When I'm playing a game with cutscenes in borders (such as Rogue Leader) it stretches it out, then when gameplay resumes it takes a while before it puts my picture back to normal.

I've looked all through the menus for resolution and stretch options but I can't see a way to turn auto-adjust off.

It's a 32" toshiba from about 2007. It's worst on PS2 and Gamecube games.

Thanks guys. Doing a custom set up of the HDMI output and unchecking the 720p worked. You guys rock. Thanks for all of your suggestions!

As mentioned, you probably want to figure out why 720p doesn't fill the screen instead. Not all games support 1080i output and very, very few support 1080p, meaning they'll end up going all the way down to 480p if you've disabled 720p.

Knowing what TV you're dealing with will help, because this is definitely an issue on the TV end of things.

ss_lemonade

That's normal behavior for the ps3. I would sometimes see the tv flicker multiple times when starting games because some run at 1080p, while the rest run at 720p unless you deselect 720p (which sometimes isn't a good idea because some games look worse when forced scaled to 1080 and many older titles will even fall back to 480p).

Top Bottom