• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frogwares' Cthulhu game The Sinking City officially announced (screen+artwork)

Bloodborne's more Lovecraftian segments were the highlight of the game.

Really interested an a wholly Lovecraft experience.

Corpekata

Banned
Really wouldn't worry about an actionish sort of title from Frogwares of all developers. Not exactly in their wheelhouse.

Also imagine it won't be as open world as people think. It'll be like their Sherlock titles, which are a few small areas and you can openly explore them. Might expand on that a bit, but it's not going to have you climbing towers or something.

Gbraga

Really wouldn't worry about an actionish sort of title from Frogwares of all developers. Not exactly in their wheelhouse.

Also imagine it won't be as open world as people think. It'll be like their Sherlock titles, which are a few small areas and you can openly explore them. Might expand on that a bit, but it's not going to have you climbing towers or something.

Yeah, that's what I'm expecting as well.

And for whatever reason that I can't seem to understand, your post makes me want a lovecraftian Professor Layton game.

Neiteio

Wonder how this'll be. The whole squid arms thing in the first image seems way more overt and actiony than the aspects I like about Lovecraft, but perhaps they're just showing that because that's one of the first things people think about when they hear the name. I just hope the Lovecraftian themes / influences aren't reduced to "evil squid monsters".
Yeah, I hope they're more subtle with the full game. The appeal of Lovecraft is the suggestion of what you don't see and can't possibly understand.

The bit I saw of Dark Corners of the Earth (I think that's what it was called) was enticing since something just seemed "off" about the townspeople.

That's what I'd like to see here. Populate the town with people who just seem... Off. Odd. Shady. And these are the people you're questioning.

Melchiah

That sounds better than a more open world. I hope you're right. The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, another Lovecraftian game, had also open world, but its confined structure helped to keep the experience cohesive, without needless padding that dilutes the atmosphere.

I would say that the next Sherlock game, the devils daughter is going to be the indication on what type of "open" world it's going to be.

EGM1966

Colour out of space me very interested.

Liked their Sherlock game and if they get this right I think a more open, investigative approach could work very well.

Hesemonni

Banned
Colour out of space me very interested.
I7eC8KK.png
Thumbs up. Or tentacles. Or whatever.

Melchiah

Looking at the concept art portraying a subway station, I really hope they include Pickman's Model in the game.

This is so awesome, 2 Cthulhu games are just GREAT. Also from the art work maybe we are getting multiple playable characters ?, And I'm seeing Weapons, which is great, I'd love for something similar to Dark Corners of the Earth.

Haunted

Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened was underrated, I think these guys are a good fit for a full-fledged Cthulhu game.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
One of my dream games would be something like Uncharted made by Naughty Dog and it plays almost exactly like you'd expect an Uncharted game to play. However maybe half way through the game things start to get weird and strange and after a while it turns out the ruins you are searching for aren't some ancient lost civilization but the ruins of aeons long dead race inspired by the Old Ones in Lovecraft's literature or something along those lines.

Fady K

Oh man, fantastic news!!!! I'm so happy that Frogwares carried on with their Cthulhu game even after splitting up with Focus Home. Now we'll get two cthulhu games!!!!!

Amazing news. To be honest, I'm more hyped for this one than the Cyanide's CoC rendition.

Me too!! I'm so excited for this!

CHC

I'm skeptical of the open world but I like Frogwares and I like Lovecraft, so they've got me interested anyway.

The name is also quite evocative and unsettling as well.

ScribbleD

So Frogware and Cyanide are both making Lovecraft-inspired games? One being Sinking City, and the other being a proper Call of Cthulu?

zethren

Banned
Lol. Nice one.

I'm interested as well.
Bloodborne was my first contact with Lovecraftian inspired stuff. Since then i read some of his work. So far dexter ward and color out of space are my favorites.

Nice! Color out of Space, The Rats in the Walls, and the Music of Eric Zahn are my favorites.

I reeeeally hope this game can deliver the atmosphere that is so key with Lovecraft!

Kadayi

Banned
Nice. Looks pretty neat. I also liked the devs being honest about the hurdles they faced in terms of the production.

Top Bottom