• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From games are not hard. From games do not handhold you and do things for you

Saruhashi

Banned
This.

I struggled a lot on the final boss and i realized it wasn't because of the difficulty but because the boss had 4 phases which means more things to practice for and learn. I didn't have the patience for so many phases and i was getting my ass handed because of this. But the more i played, the easier the first couple of phases were getting. The same phases that seemed impossible to me when i first encountered them. I could literally beat the first phase in the same time most speedrunners could. So it wasn't too long until i finally beat him (and i even had lots of healing to spare).

It's a game of practice and figuring out what to do. Once you figure it out there's nothing holding you back.

Same here. When I saw the first phase I thought "oh for fucksakes not again".
After a good few attempts though the first and second phases are fine.

What happened to me a lot in phase 4 was just I kept losing my nerve and making basic errors that I never would make in phase 3.
Which is kind of a part of the beauty of the game too. That it puts you under intense pressure and you can feel yourself being affected by it.

Last edited:

Reyben

90% of 2d games are harder than any from software games. Infact many of them are downright unbeatable by even an experienced person like me. I haven't beaten most 2d games I played because thats how hard they are. the original super mario bros is super hard and I never beaten it . Gotten close. but never all the way to the end. these games are superhard. even many of the recent 2d games are super super difficult

You sound like a casual who loves handholding cinematic experiences.

lyan

Basically Fromsoft games are not hard, relative to the entirety of games.
At the same time Fromsoft games are hard, relative to skills of the entirety of gamers.

PocoJoe

Banned
“From games arent hard”

Yeah Ok. I’ll keep telling myself that as I die 10+ times in my replays against bosses like Midir, Gael, Kalameet, Manus, Artorias, Kos, Demon of Hatred, Owl, Ginichiro.

My first FROM game were bloodborne, yes it can be brutal and deaths are common, but almost every time they are because of some stupid mistake, not because the game is unfair. I play as SKILL-character with the cane and double blades, which makes it harder I guess

Then I started dark souls 3, made a mage because I like mages. Beat the game as mage, wearing no armor at just rolling around dodging stuff, I would not call it too difficult game.

Then dark souls 2, again as a mage with no armor = bit harder because of limited spells, but still not hard, most bosses died in the first try, few took me some attempts.

now I'm playing dark souls 1, as a mage again. havent played it much, feels bit harder than 2+3, but nothing impossible.

I were surprised when I started the souls series, because everyone say how important blocking is, and I havent even tried to wear a shield, super easy just to roll around like a naked mage of I am.

next will be sekiro, I dont know if it has mages, but im gonna choose some quick character then anyway.

challenging? yes, but I would not call em hard as they are just what games used to be, not what most games now are

next will be sekiro, I dont know if it has mages, but im gonna choose some quick character then anyway.
Before you get Sekiro thinking it's another RPG, it's a stealth/action game (actually originally started production as a new Tenchu) with a pre-set character, so no builds. You level up, but it's just basic point based skills like most action games that adds a new move or passive ability. You only have 1 main weapon.

Last edited:

bobone

I got the Platinum or full gamerscore in all the From games so far; currently working through Sekiro and it feels BY FAR the hardest to me out of all of them. Most enemy encounters feel equivalent to an NPC invasion from other games.

From games are definitely not difficult in relation to any 16 bit or 8 bit game. I had a hell of a time getting through Donkey Kong Country on the SNES classic recently. And I don't remember that being very hard 20 years ago when I first played it.
From games are absolutely in the top tier of difficulty for today's modern games. But I agree with OP that its only because we have been exposed to increasingly easier gameplay over the years.

johntown

Banned
While I agree that a few of their games are not hard, there are some that are hard. However, it is typically only the first few hours of the game that are hard and some optional parts of their games.

Demon's Souls, Bloodborne and Sekiro are very hard in the beginning and some optional content in the game is hard too. To say that these games are not hard is wrong and I disagree. These games take time to learn, some take precision and careful planning. You cannot just button mash your way though any of these games.

Sekiro especially takes skill and precision to really get anywhere on the game. Even further into the game you cannot just level up your way to victory like in their other games. Bloodborne was hard to start but you can level up enough to make the game easy after the start. The exception to this is the later chalice dungeons which are brutally hard unless you have put tons of hours into the game and are a really high level. Demon's Souls the first few stages are very hard (unless you are very familiar with the game). Even using magic only gets you so far but it cannot be used for the entire level and the boss plus if your bad the game gets harder.

Dark Souls games I agree are easy and only have a few difficult bosses and areas. Old school games are not hard they are artificially hard due to limitations available. Make a frame perfect jump in a 2D platformer IMO is not skill but poor design choice.

Videospel

I still want to know what you consider hard games. Super Meat Boy? Some bullet hell shmup? Even those are easy once you've spent enough time with them.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
let me rephrase it.
From games aren't made to be hard. they are made to have you do what you can physically do in the situation your put in. ok?. your not stronger than most of your enemies because why should you be?. you don't get to spawn right where you died because why should you? those are handholding mechanics.
I think you make your point much better with this post compared to the OP.

Top Bottom