• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From "Phil Should be fired" to "Jim should be fired" in one week

Bry0

I legitimately believe that childish, overly reactionary posts calling for the "end" of a company, the firing of an executive, and doom forecasting over one bad show or one bad game should be met with temp bans or at least warnings. The discourse on the site would improve so quickly if we just get the children to check their hyperbole.
It is shockingly juvenile but I am entertained by it nonetheless. Makes me feel like I’m 12 again arguing about Xbox vs ps2

Banned
Happy Joel Mchale GIF by ABC Network

poodaddy

It is shockingly juvenile but I am entertained by it nonetheless. Makes me feel like I’m 12 again arguing about Xbox vs ps2
I see your point, but I never did argue about this kind of stuff. Maybe I was an overly fortunate child, and I certainly realize that not everyone grew up like this and trust me I am thankful for it, but despite the fact that I grew up very poor, my mother worked long hours and always made sure that my brother and I had all the main game consoles every gen, and we even had a gaming PC. We were big into comics, music, and games growing up, and my mother didn't believe one was better than the other except for the fact that she loved, and still does love, Nintendo, so she provided and we grew up with the mentality that it was weird for kids to argue over this stuff, but I understand as I've gotten older than people get rather tribal about arguing over things due to the fact that they may not have the means to get everything, and so they argue to strengthen their "tribe" and try to demean the other.....but it's so damn antiquated isn't it? I mean it always has been, and it always will be, but then again I think the fervor with which sports fans obsess over "their" teams that couldn't give a shit about their fans or their locales as they change teams on a dime for money is just as stupid as people obsessing over brands of any sort. It's just never made any sense to me, any of it, and I kinda just wish humans could move past it, but that gets into a bigger conversation about the psychology of tribalism in humans and eh.....no point to ruminating on it further. Ignore my ramblings, I'm just a guy that doesn't really get why people wanna argue about stuff that doesn't matter so much and belittle others over such superficial things.

Chronicle

Oh nonsense. Try holding the fucking industry to some standards for a change. Stop stanning for lazy devs who phone in year after year. Stop stanning for suits who skip e3 after e3 only to show us NOT ACTUAL GAMEPLAY.

The lack of innovation is due to people like you shutting down all criticism of these studios by calling others concern trolls, asking for users to be banned for criticizing your favorite studios, and giving Phil and Jim a pass for unleashing 3 years of cross gen.

The problem is YOU.
fE7gUQa.jpg

Jim should be fired for Playstation breaking hardware and software sales records...? lol alright.

Idiots trying to equivocate a single mediocre conference to years and years of empty promises and failed delivery are just that... idiots.

If the decisions he makes ruins their numbers then I can see him getting the boot. It might be a long time before that happens though. Truly curious to see if PS5s sales will dwindle because of him.

Flutta

Banned
Oh nonsense. Try holding the fucking industry to some standards for a change. Stop stanning for lazy devs who phone in year after year. Stop stanning for suits who skip e3 after e3 only to show us NOT ACTUAL GAMEPLAY.

The lack of innovation is due to people like you shutting down all criticism of these studios by calling others concern trolls, asking for users to be banned for criticizing your favorite studios, and giving Phil and Jim a pass for unleashing 3 years of cross gen.

The problem is YOU.
Ryan Gosling Clap GIF

I'm more embarrassed that Japan seems like they're the only ones interested in making high end single player GAMES. The west has got this endless Triple-A Hollywood bug going. Spider-Man is such a fantastic IP to build a game around, and yet two decades have passed and only Treyarch with Spider-Man 2 from the PS2/GCN/Xbox era has bothered to really dig in to the possibilities of physics based web-slinging with the dual triggers. The game was clearly rushed and unpolished, but potential was written all over it. :(

Mozza

I think we should fire the lot of em, for many many reasons, that I just can't name at the moment, but still... lets fire them all. ;)

BbMajor7th

Gold Member
The industry's main problem is the fanboy base that transitions from oversized hype to utter disappointment with no middle ground.
Oh, to be so enlightened and above it all as thee... back in reality, there are some people who get a little too invested, sure, but there are a lot of people who are just passionate about the hobby, spend thousands of dollars with these companies each year and - wildly - have opinions on the wider goings-on of the industry.

You might even find some of them on enthusiast forums talking passionately about it. If you're far too lofty for all that, it might be worth avoiding them.

Zannegan

Yes, people are too reactionary, but imagining that has a meaningful impact on (let alone is to blame for) the lack of innovation, passion, and commitment in the industry is silly.

These companies care about sales, not social media ravings, except insofar as those ravings have an impact on sales. Look at what's happening right now. People are full on "mad" at Jim today, but Sony's stock price went up. Do you think they're going to adjust their game production strategy one iota in response to the hyperbolic reactions? The worst possible outcome is that they might put a little more thought into their marketing. Did I say worst?

No, the reason we have these safe, boring games is the average AAA game's budget and scope. When you're talking about a game that will have a huge team (or teams) of developers working on it for half a decade or more, that's going to require a massive investment. OF course they play it safe if they want to see a return.

As for a lack of passion and commitment, just imagine being a small cog in the kind of machine that grinds out huge, safe games for years at a time. And remember, your art or programming or design will always be under criticism from number-crunchers whose only motivation is minimizing investment and maximizing return. Is it any wonder people in the business can't maintain their fire?

So, no, internet whiners and/or trolls are not the industry's main problem. They're not even top ten.

Last edited:

Barakov

Phil Spencer and Jim Ryan are both rather talented at making both of their respective fanbases hate them.

I think people expect too much out of these showcases in general, though. It's weird for Sony because more than a few of them have been bangers. You'd think they'd have better stuff to show for the first showcase in a long while but it is what is. It kinda make you wonder if Sony held some stuff back for Summer Games Fest or Gamescom:)messenger_fearful:).

sachos

Gaming landscape is just that fucking bad, that is really sad.

3 years into next gen and nearly nothing to show for it, we have never seen a generation this weak.
I've been thinking about this, i think its clear that the TRUE next gen games will either come by the last ~2 years of PS5 or be crossgen with the PS6, and the true PS6 games will be crossgen with the PS7, etc. We entered a constant cross gen period now.
People used to say how amazing the PS2 was and how games would keep coming for it after the PS3 was already around, but i think the PS4 beat it with AAA games coming to it even 10+ years after its release.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right

The problem is YOU.

a3118056560_10.jpg

fallingdove

People aren’t thinking 4th dimensionally. 😁

Sony is still trying to close the book on ending Microsoft’s attempt to acquire Activision. How do they help their cause? They have a very public showing of a 3rd party-dependent game lineup.

Additionally, if you are Sony, you have to assume that Microsoft has been floundering and need to deliver big surprises. Why would Sony show their hand and highlight their most impressive titles only for them to be overshadowed by a massive Microsoft show a couple of weeks later? Sony wouldn’t. I think they are willing to temporarily disappoint their fans only to redeem themselves with some massive announcements later on in the year.

I just don’t buy that Sony don’t have some impressive stuff they are holding back.

Gaelyon

Gold Member

The problem is YOU.
The problem is YOU ? You bark in every thread but you're among the first to bought and play Sony 's FP games. You will buy each future Sony games and then bark loudly again. You accomplish nothing but noise.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I like that phil can talk publicly and also live on stage....seems to not be able to manage studios though. Unless something changes in two weeks.

...Jim must be drunk because he can't do one sentence without being cut and edited. Also, directors clearly telling him to try and emphasise words like excited looked so fake. Typical scouser, he will be drunk...

...basically, fire them all

ParaSeoul

Mostly vocal minorities on both sides honestly. The average person who decides to buy either a ps5 or Xbox isn't going to care.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The problem is YOU ? You bark in every thread but you're among the first to bought and play Sony 's FP games. You will buy each future Sony games and then bark loudly again. You accomplish nothing but noise.
Nice try but no. I skipped gt7, mlb the show and tlou part 1 last year. In fact i haven’t bought that trash last Gen mlb franchise since 2019. Bought tlou only when it came to PC 7 months later and only because everyone here kept telling me it looks next Gen when you actually play it on a good TV. Wrong . Forspoken, deathloop, ghostwire, destruction all stars, sackboy, godfall and other second and third party exclusives also skipped.

Stop making up shit about me.

Last edited:

Gaelyon

Gold Member
Nice try but no. I skipped gt7, mlb the show and tlou part 1 last year. In fact i haven’t bought that trash last Gen mlb franchise since 2019. Bought tlou only when it came to PC 7 months later and only because everyone here kept telling me it looks next Gen when you actually play it on a good TV. Wrong . Forspoken, deathloop, ghostwire, destruction all stars, sackboy, godfall and other second and third party exclusives also skipped.

Stop making up shit about me.
The only Sony games i've bought on PS5 are Demon's Souls and GOW:R. That's it. And that's the only thing that matter. Ranting on a boomer video games forum will not change Jim Ryan's strategy ever, only sales do.

Okay, I've asked ChatGPT 4 in the past to write an article on why Phil is unfit to lead Xbox. Let's see what ChatGPT 4 has to say about Jimbo in return :messenger_beaming:

The Controversy Surrounding Jim Ryan: Is He Unfit to Lead PlayStation?​

Jim Ryan, the President and CEO of Sony Interactive Entertainment, has been a polarizing figure in the gaming industry since he took the helm in 2019. While some celebrate his business acumen and experience, others have expressed concerns that he is unfit to lead the PlayStation brand. Critics argue that his leadership style and decisions have not been in the best interest of the gaming community. This article will examine some of the key reasons why many gamers feel that Ryan is unfit to lead PlayStation.

1. Alleged Lack of Passion for Gaming​

One of the most common criticisms leveled against Jim Ryan is that he appears to lack a genuine passion for gaming. While this may seem like a minor issue, the gaming community places a high value on leaders who are not only knowledgeable, but also passionate about the industry. Many gamers argue that a leader who is not personally invested in gaming is less likely to make decisions that are in the best interest of the gaming community.

2. Backward Compatibility Controversy​

Jim Ryan has faced significant backlash for his views on backward compatibility, a feature that allows gamers to play older games on new consoles. In an interview with Time magazine in 2017, he questioned the importance of this feature, saying, "When we've dabbled with backward compatibility, I can say it is one of those features that is much requested, but not actually used much." This statement was met with widespread criticism, as many gamers value the ability to play their favorite games from previous consoles on their new systems.

3. Censorship Issues​

Under Jim Ryan's leadership, PlayStation has been accused of implementing overly strict content policies that have led to censorship of certain games. Critics argue that these policies are inconsistent and have resulted in some games being banned or heavily edited for content, while others with similar themes have been allowed to release without issue. This has raised concerns about creative freedom and artistic expression within the gaming industry.

4. Lack of Focus on Indies and Smaller Developers​

Another concern raised about Jim Ryan's leadership is a perceived lack of support for independent developers and smaller studios. Critics argue that PlayStation has shifted its focus primarily to AAA game development, leaving indie developers to fend for themselves. This shift in focus is seen as detrimental to the gaming community, as it may limit the variety and innovation that comes from smaller studios.

5. Communication and Transparency Issues​

Finally, Jim Ryan has been criticized for his lack of communication and transparency with the gaming community. Gamers have expressed frustration with the perceived lack of clarity surrounding PlayStation's plans and direction, as well as the company's handling of controversies and concerns. A more open and transparent approach to communication could help to alleviate these concerns and foster a stronger relationship with the gaming community.

In conclusion, while Jim Ryan has undoubtedly brought some positives to the PlayStation brand, his leadership has also been marred by various controversies and concerns. Many gamers feel that his lack of passion for gaming, controversial views on backward compatibility, censorship issues, focus on AAA development, and communication problems make him unfit to lead PlayStation. It remains to be seen whether Ryan will address these concerns and adapt his leadership approach in the future.

Drizzlehell

Banned
People are so quick to go for the nuclear option these days, lol.

"Oh noe, they didn't announce a game that I imagined is in production and had completely unwarranted expectations about... quick, grab your pitchforks, it's time to lynch Jim Ryan and napalm-bomb Sony's HQ!"

Rykan

The problem is YOU.
What a joke.

We're less than three years into this generation, and plenty of Sony's big titles are already on the platform: Horizon, God of War, Demon's Souls, Gran Turismo, The Last of Us, Ratchet & Clank, Spider-Man (soon two games), Sackboy, and Returnal. Which other first-party platform holder has ever launched this many quality titles in that time frame? Yeah, exactly.

Of course, there are going to be periods when there are fewer games to show as developers are working on new projects. That is to be expected, and it's completely normal.

You can complain that the show wasn't exciting, lacked announcements, or used CGI trailers. But your rant about “Fucking industry standards” and “Lazy devs” shows that you have never worked a day in this industry and just reeks of entitlement and ignorance.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
What a joke.

We're less than three years into this generation, and plenty of Sony's big titles are already on the platform: Horizon, God of War, Demon's Souls, Gran Turismo, The Last of Us, Ratchet & Clank, Spider-Man (soon two games), Sackboy, and Returnal. Which other first-party platform holder has ever launched this many quality titles in that time frame? Yeah, exactly.

Of course, there are going to be periods when there are fewer games to show as developers are working on new projects. That is to be expected, and it's completely normal.

You can complain that the show wasn't exciting, lacked announcements, or used CGI trailers. But your rant about “Fucking industry standards” and “Lazy devs” shows that you have never worked a day in this industry and just reeks of entitlement and ignorance.
Let’s all shut this forum down because none of us work in this industry and have any valid opinions or thoughts. You should start by deleting your account unless you are neil druckman himself. Actually no, are you myamoto? Nope? Then Your post reeks of ignorance. Just take your own advice and go live in a cave while the rest of us discuss movies, sports, politics, arts, games, economy without having directed The Godfather, without having won the Super Bowl, without ever sitting in the White House at president shooting missiles up a camels ass.

What a load of horseshit. You tell me I’m ignorant while you claim this is completely normal? Nearly all the games you listed are last Gen. Since when did first party manufacturers shipping last Gen games 3 years into the Gen become completely normal?

This is the first time we are seeing last Gen games look better than next Gen games. This is completely normal? Did you even n live through the ps1 to ps2 era? The ps3 and ps4 transitions? Did kzsf not look a Gen ahead of tlou? Did uncharted not completely destroy gow 2’s visuals? Are we seriously rewriting history and claiming that next Gen games have never had a graphical leap?!!

Sony skipped the last two e3s. 3 of the last 4. After attending every year for decades. That’s not normal. And when they finally do show up they show a half a dozen gaas games in cg format and you think that’s normal? The last time they showed this many cg trailers was literally 18 years ago in 2005.

Nothing about this is normal. Maybe instead of getting upset at people voicing their disapproval on a message board try to understand the history of PlayStation gaming, it’s not that long. You only have to go back 30 odd years. Your complete lack of industry knowledge is embarrassing.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

The industry's main problem is the fanboy base that transitions from oversized hype to utter disappointment with no middle ground.
That industry is the one manufacturing the hype in the first place. Sony kept hyping up their hardware and secret sauce, going as far as saying it'd change game design itself. Three years into the gen and nothing worthy of that hype was shown. Games so far barely look better than last gen games, if not worse, and still play exactly like games from last gen.

I always called bullshit in a lot of their marketing, and honestly am the last person who would complain about graphics. I'm sure there are many here who are the same, satisfied with a machine that can do 60 fps and short loading times.
However, understand that Sony dug this hole themselves. They set up expectations sky high and aren't delivering it, they deserve all the flak they're getting.

Last edited:

Rykan

Let’s all shut this forum down because none of us work in this industry and have any valid opinions or thoughts. You should start by deleting your account unless you are neil druckman himself. Actually no, are you myamoto? Nope? Then Your post reeks of ignorance. Just take your own advice and go live in a cave while the rest of us discuss movies, sports, politics, arts, games, economy without having directed The Godfather, without having won the Super Bowl, without ever sitting in the White House at president shooting missiles up a camels ass.

What a load of horseshit. You tell me I’m ignorant while you claim this is completely normal? Nearly all the games you listed are last Gen. Since when did first party manufacturers shipping last Gen games 3 years into the Gen become completely normal?
Good job on the massive strawman you've pulled there.

You don't need to work in this industry to have "valid opinions or thoughts" on video games, but anyone who unironically claims that "devs are lazy" simply has no idea what they're talking about. Video game development is one of the most demanding careers in the tech industry. Working long hours, overtime, and dealing with crunch is both common and normal. You can have a valid opinion without making completely ignorant takes about other people's work ethics.

This is the first time we are seeing last Gen games look better than next Gen games. This is completely normal? Did you even n live through the ps1 to ps2 era? The ps3 and ps4 transitions? Did kzsf not look a Gen ahead of tlou? Did uncharted not completely destroy gow 2’s visuals? Are we seriously rewriting history and claiming that next Gen games have never had a graphical leap?!!
And you've concluded that the reason for that MUST be because devs are lazy? This isn't the first time I've seen you do it, either. I've lived through all of those console generations and several generations before that as well.

You're correct in your observation that graphical/fidelity jumps are significantly smaller between generations than they have been before. There are several reasons for this, and none of them have anything to do with "Lazy devs." The first one is the law of diminishing returns: It simply takes a lot more effort to establish a difference in graphical fidelity between a PS4 and PS5 game than it would for a PS1 and PS2 game or a PS2 and a PS3 game. This is why the jump from, for example, PS3 to PS4 is actually much smaller than it was from PS2 to PS3 or from the generation before that. I can guarantee that you'll experience the same thing when we get to the next generation.

But there's another reason for that: Hardware isn't the biggest constraint in a lot of cases; it's budget, resources, and time spent on development. Want to know why TLOU 2 still looks so much better than most games released today? It's not because game devs are "Lazy"; it's because not every game gets the resources or time that Naughty Dog gets to work on a single game for a single platform.

Budget is also the reason why we've had cross-gen games for so long. Budgets for games have skyrocketed.

Sony skipped the last two e3s. 3 of the last 4. After attending every year for decades. That’s not normal. And when they finally do show up they show a half a dozen gaas games in cg format and you think that’s normal? The last time they showed this many cg trailers was literally 18 years ago in 2005.
Okay, so what's the issue here? Is it the show or Sony's output? I agree that the showcase was boring. However, Sony's output has been one of the best in the first two and a half years compared to any other single platform holder. I can't think of any other system that had better first-party support in that timeframe
Nothing about this is normal. Maybe instead of getting upset at people voicing their disapproval on a message board try to understand the history of PlayStation gaming, it’s not that long.
I'm not upset at you voicing your disapproval. I'm annoyed with you blaming it on "lazy devs" and ignoring every other aspect of this industry.
Your complete lack of industry knowledge is embarrassing.
Considering that statement comes from you, I'll wear it as a badge of honor.

Last edited:

KXVXII9X

I think the Xbox fans are overreaching here. Sony has delivered this gen, Phil hasn't.
Some show case that hasn't wowed isn't anything when the results speak for themselves.

Also can't see anyone calling for jim to be sacked, must be Phil's cohort desperate to bring jim down to Phil's low standards.
Why is everything split into such binary terms like Xbox/PS fans, hardcore/casual, fanboy/hater? It is so tiring and does nothing for real discussion.

It is just a whole lot of projection going around and people making a bunch of assumptions about each other based on very little information.

I was very disappointed in the showcase. I'm a big PS fan. No, I didn't set myself to high expectations or buy into rumors. No, I don't have some stupid elaborate scheme as a Phil cohort.

I'm so over this shit.

Top Bottom