• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FTL: a game about managing a spaceship in an infinite galaxy

Saprol

How can I avoid damage during a cloak for the stealth ship achievement? When cloaked, the ships dont shoot at me and dont shoot anything that makes damage. If I start the stealth mode AFTER the enemy shot, the cloak doesnt work.

I haven't played much with the stealth ship but I believe active cloak is +60% evasion, so they're expecting you to combine engine/pilot and that together to evade a salvo of fire.

So I dived into this on normal mode because idk. I don't want to switch it to easy mode but I keep failing hahaha. At least it's cool to see all the voyages I can make before I die! Such a great game.

Blizzard

Banned
So I dived into this on normal mode because idk. I don't want to switch it to easy mode but I keep failing hahaha. At least it's cool to see all the voyages I can make before I die! Such a great game.
Don't be embarrassed, I've only seen one person even beat it on easy. It's kind of like Nethack in that even winning once is an accomplishment (or luck ;p).

Corum

Brilliant game, the Rebel forces ended me at the Sector 5 gate. I'll be sure to stock up on missiles for the next play-through.

Don't be embarrassed, I've only seen one person even beat it on easy. It's kind of like Nethack in that even winning once is an accomplishment (or luck ;p).

I can totally see that being the case haha. So much can go wrong. Not played many Roguelike games before (just Binding of Isaac and 5 minutes of looking at Dwarf Fortress with a guide, utterly confused) but this is a lot of fun. Gonna be pouring hours into this.

You could play through a roguelike over and over hoping for a 'perfect' run, but the fun of it to me is in trying to make do with the hand you're dealt.

Gala

I just killed this huge rebell ship in sector 8 with 1 hull left. My friends and I screamed and celebrated the shit out of that moment and then the game told me that I'm not finished and some shitty scout killed me. My poor heart.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I haven't played much with the stealth ship but I believe active cloak is +60% evasion, so they're expecting you to combine engine/pilot and that together to evade a salvo of fire.

Yeah, but enemies dont SHOOT if you are cloaked. So, huh?
Anyone got an idea?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
You can hit cloak after they launch a volley and it will generally soar right over you. Can be useful against the boss.

Guess I need to try again, but in the few instances I tried, I got still hit by the shots so I thought cloaking after the enemy shot doesnt work.

Des0lar

will learn eventually

9B91DDBB2EC2949A655D5E5CBFAA223CE9D71AE4
You were saying? Normal of course :D

ASK ME ANYTHING, I CAN DEAL WITH IT NOW. I HAVE BECOME A MAN

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
I'm addicted.

It's difficult to find the right balance between upgrading my ship, buying crew members and getting better weaponry.

It's been fun every time I've died. ^_^

Bricky

Just bought it and it's great. I don't even find it that hard to be honest, it's just that I sometimes make stupid decisions. Like attacking a enemy ship with low health when I could've avoided it and just jumped to another system, I'll never forgive myself for that one.

Also, everytime I get someone new on my team an old member seems to die the next jump, which last time probably was karma because I didn't destroy a slave-trading ship when they gave me a slave.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
I'm addicted.

It's difficult to find the right balance between upgrading my ship, buying crew members and getting better weaponry.

It's been fun every time I've died. ^_^

Only buy crew when you really need them. Otherwise hope for events like the slave traders. You get your crew that way.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
Only buy crew when you really need them. Otherwise hope for events like the slave traders. You get your crew that way.

So far, slavers have been my only means of getting crew members. Fuel and ship upgrade costs are too high.

But I have a theory that you can't get more than four crew members without buying them. That's been my experience so far.

Sajjaja

Oh man... my first run and I actually made it to the final area. Had 4 crew members, just lost my best pilot because I tried to help someone. I fought a cruiser right before the Flagship and it tore my butt, yet I lived and so did my crew.... time to make repairs..... I lost 3 people trying to make repairs and fighting off a boarding drone...... I died pretty quickly against the flagship with the most inexperienced person I had to man all 4 stations lol... 2 hours and my first run and I made it to the end. I think I did pretty well. Given it was on easy though.

Saprol

But I have a theory that you can't get more than four crew members without buying them. That's my experience so far.

On one of my runs, I hit my 8-crew limit from random events. RNG giving me the positive effects on stuff like finding a madman on a planet, saving somebody being chased by a fleet, etc. Having those extra Mantis on my wimpy Engi team helped hold down the fort against teleporters.

Jintor

Bombs > missiles. They bypass defence drones entirely. Downside is that they only do system+crew damage, not hull damage, but it's always more important to take out the shields or the drone control bay or the firing station than anything else.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
On one of my runs, I hit my 8-crew limit from random events. RNG giving me the positive effects on stuff like finding a madman on a planet, saving somebody being chased by a fleet, etc. Having those extra Mantis on my wimpy Engi team helped hold down the fort against teleporters.

That's good. I'll stop hoarding scrap for that purpose and use it for something else. ^_^

Toma

Oh man... my first run and I actually made it to the final area. Had 4 crew members, just lost my best pilot because I tried to help someone. I fought a cruiser right before the Flagship and it tore my butt, yet I lived and so did my crew.... time to make repairs..... I lost 3 people trying to make repairs and fighting off a boarding drone...... I died pretty quickly against the flagship with the most inexperienced person I had to man all 4 stations lol... 2 hours and my first run and I made it to the end. I think I did pretty well. Given it was on easy though.

The game is far from being short though. Playing for 10-12 hours now, and I still only have 3/9 ships unlocked.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
End of my first run :( I picked up Charlie the Engi on my very first encounter and I really liked him. :(

So close. I think I was seriously underpowered though.

Why weren't you targeting the weapons? They can't get to them once they are down.

Bombs > missiles. They bypass defence drones entirely. Downside is that they only do system+crew damage, not hull damage, but it's always more important to take out the shields or the drone control bay or the firing station than anything else.

Breach bombs do no hull damage?

LuchaShaq

Banned
Oh god a phone or tablet version of this would RUIN me.

It's the main reason I haven't bought it yet. Seems interesting but I'm already behind on stuff and would prefer to play this type of bite sized stuff on my phone or vita.

Might still bite though.

sangreal

This game deserves a real OT now that it is released

am I the only one that names my crew after my RL friends? Sucks when they die :(

Also, there is no reason this game couldn't work on mobile platforms, since it is pure point and click.

Why weren't you targeting the weapons? They can't get to them once they are down.

What do you mean, they can't get to them?
I was seriously overextended in that fight, half my ship was burning, half of the time all of my weapons were down, I really just winged it. My priority were the sheilds and the stealth unit. Since he has 4 weapon bays and I saw no way to destroy them all I didn't bother attacking them.

I'm really terrible at strategic games. Guess I'll get the hang of it later.

Blizzard

Banned
This game deserves a real OT now that it is released

am I the only one that names my crew after my RL friends? Sucks when they die :(

Also, there is no reason this game couldn't work on mobile platforms, since it is pure point and click.
I was wondering if I was silly for feeling bad when I lose a crew member. I haven't even used custom names yet, but I feel like I failed them if one dies because I make a mistake in the middle of a battle and lose someone.

Before I learned you could repair hull breaches, I had one dedicated guy back in the engine room...the middle of my ship had holes in it so it was basically cut off from the rest of the ship, but tough luck, engine guy! No matter what happens, you stay with the engines!

JoseJX

So glad I got into this with Kickstarter, I might have missed it otherwise. It's really an awesome game. I've made it to the end a few times, and blown up part of the end ship, but haven't won a game yet.

It runs wonderfully in Linux (native version and Steam version in Wine) if anyone is wondering!

Omikaru

I am a complete and utter failure at this game. The only time I was successful was when I reached the Rebel Flagship, but I was so ragged and in a dire state that he slaughtered me. I had no missiles, despite having a pretty buff ship with which to take it on. If I had missiles, I think I could've won...

Since then, I haven't been half as lucky with my runs.

Either way, it's awesome. I picked it up this afternoon and I've already sunk 5 hours into it.

I am a complete and utter failure at this game. The only time I was successful was when I reached the Rebel Flagship, but I was so ragged and in a dire state that he slaughtered me. I had no missiles, despite having a pretty buff ship with which to take it on. If I had missiles, I think I could've won...

Since then, I haven't been half as lucky with my runs.

Either way, it's awesome. I picked it up this afternoon and I've already sunk 5 hours into it.

I think if you stop in the Repair stations in the last sector they will restock you on various things. You just need to choose whether you want to use them up before the boss fight.

epmode

I am SO BAD at this. Almost made it out of the second sector this time! But I got greedy and went for one extra system. Goddamned rebels closed in faster than I expected.

Top Bottom