• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fucking Birds, Man...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zombine

Banned
Why do they do this to me? This is the second time this calendar year that a bird has suicided itself using my car and I feel awful.

Back in September on a really warm Saturday morning, I was driving back from my job doing about 55mph, and this little sparrow flew right into my windshield and exploded. I started freaking out. It looked like a crime scene. There was blood and stuff everywhere and I couldnt figure out why the hell it did that. It looked right at me and just ended itself. I was freaking out so bad my first reaction was to turn on my wipers and clean the windshield, but I had left my window open because it was a nice day, and all the blood and wiper fluid shot into my car and onto my face. I felt like shit for a week.

Fast forward seven months later after I had finally gotten over that bird, and I'm driving in my mustang to this high end barber shop for my haircut while I'm on vacation, and I see this thing that looks kind of like a leave floating slowly into the middle of the road. By the time I got close enough, I realized that it was an injured Blue Jay, and I could not stop. I was going 45 and there were at least 4 cars right up my ass. I tried to drive between it, but I think my wheel ran it over. I looked behind me in my mirror and it stopped moving and now my day is ruined. I'm the type of dude that looks down when I walk to make sure that I don't step on bugs, yet these fucking things choose me twice in a year. Why? Does this happen to anyone else?

I knew I should have just stayed home and watched Game of Thrones.

I had a friend hit an owl on the interstate, fucking destroyed his windshield and I ended up having to pick him up at 3 AM.

Fun times.

studyguy

birdman.png

Icefire1424

Here's to hoping you never hit a deer.

Happens to everyone that's been driving long enough. If it helps at all, the second one you hit sounded as if it was already in pain and suffering. You likely put it out of its misery.

Business

I hit a bird once too, the image from my rearview mirror of the poor thing rolling on the asphalt strikes me many times I pass through that same spot.

Zombine

Banned
I honestly might have pulled some Fast & Furious shit with my car. As I drove back from the salon I kept looking for the aftermath on the other side of the road and I didn't see anything. Maybe my maneuver worked? The only thing that freaked me out was the street sweeper on the other side of the road so maybe it got cleaned up...

depths20XX

I once saw a semi truck hit a hawk. The thing smacked right on his windshield and was plastered there for a good mile. Dude just kept driving. Eventually the hawk fell off to the side of the highway and was actually hobbling around so maybe it survived.

Mr Git

Years ago I saw 12 magpies all sat together on a single streetlamp. I didn't know what to do. Salute? Not salute? Does the rhyme even go that far? I had to have a sit down.

If I did drive I'd also feel pretty terrible OP, sorry.

Iksenpets

Banned
This has never once happened to me in like a decade of driving? Am I weird? Do I have some kind of magical bird-ward?

There was one time that I noticed a sticky red fluid on my bumper, but I don't remember ever hitting anything. I've always tried to convince myself that someone just spilled slurpee on my bumper when I was parked at the gas station, but I've always been worried that I hit something and didn't even notice. :(

Birds are the worst, a red kite tried to kill me whilst I was playing cricket around 4 or 5 years ago now.

Never trust a bird.

My mom hit a flock of ducks that flew out of bushes on the side of the road...I'll never forget seeing blood go up the windshield, a duck corpse on our side mirror, and my mother telling my little sister "It's ok, they're just sleeping."

Mupod

Partridges are common where I previously lived, and they are the most fantastically slow and stupid animal (as well as tasty) so it's amazing they somehow aren't extinct yet. In particular the ones where I lived seemed suicidal - it was the middle of the damn woods so you always had to look out for crossing animals but they were the dumbest. Many times I've had to stop and once even open the car door so the thing would get out of the damn road, they just sit there. I've been tempted to just KO one with my bumper then take it home for a stew - I've been in the car when my uncle did exactly that.

Zombine

Banned
What about all those poor innocent bugs you splattered while driving OP...what about them you monster!?!?

I don't think bugs give a shit. I still respect them and I don't intentionally step on them out of principle, but they can't even really feel pain, right? They're just like tubes and shit and a brain that executes basic functions.

billeh

There are protected birds that happen to nest near the parking lot in my office during the summer that frequently attack people that happen to be in the vicinity. Asshole birds have gotten me a couple times and that shit HURTS. And it's like a $10000 fine + jail time if you hit back.

I feel no sympathy for birds that simply don't know how to get out of the way.

Zombine

Banned
There are protected birds that happen to nest near the parking lot in my office during the summer that frequently attack people that happen to be in the vicinity. Asshole birds have gotten me a couple times and that shit HURTS. And it's like a $10000 fine + jail time if you hit back.

I feel no sympathy for birds that simply don't know how to get out of the way.

I mean, it wasn't even a sparrow that I ran over. It was definitely exotic and really pretty. I do hope it wasn't an actual Blue Bird...that's our state bird.

A_Gorilla

Banned
I used to hate birds.

Then I adopted my stray cat. Now, there are no living birds within a 50 meter radius of my house...

Years ago, my grandma was driving through Mexico with me and my sister, cousin, etc. then all of a sudden a dead bird just lands splat on the windshield and wedged itself under the wiper blade. took a solid 5 minutes to get it off still driving.

pretty sure a bigger bird just dropped it out of the sky but we'll never really know

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom