• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fugly Character Redesigns

DigitalDevilSummoner

zero cognitive reasoning abilities
I don't like most of the FF7's redesign.

Final+fantasy+7+cloud+comparison.jpg

Isn't that supposed to be post FF VII events ?

Oh my. I didn't remember that version of Dante, it's going to give me nightmares.

Stop giving Sophitia boob jobs!

Ever female in Soul Calibur seems to have "evolved" like that, which is one of the many reasons I stopped caring after 1.

(Yoshi)
What the fuck is this?

Looks like some freak in a fur suit.

Yeah, one of Nintendo's less fortunate character evolutions, along with Fox. It's weird to see Smash 4 nail Pac-Man's and Mega Man's designs and keep these. I liked Melee's Fox so much more...

Her head got super wide and they ditched the cell-shaded style of the first three games.

The second also looks pretty much like a stripper and her hair went from quite original to entirely generic. Of course if one's going to label every single anthropomorphic character as furry, then everything will look the same to them; I'm a bit tired of that particular witch hunt.

Do people actually play the game before they make comments like this? The three times you ran into Cloud in Kingdom Hearts isn't representative of how he acts in FFVII.

Final-Fantasy-VII-1038x576.jpg

Pretty much. The only time he isn't, he's a shattered wreck before he gets right for real and good. That pic is spot on, ESPECIALLY because it's how Zack also was; that's the point.

Jharp

Kinda off-topic but is there any female character that was initially overly sexualized and then had its design improved?

I know it's not quite what you're looking for, but Lara Croft would be the obvious one:

Also, I don't mind that Flemeth got redesigned, but I've never been able to figure out what THE FUCK those goddamn hair-horns are supposed to do. She looks like bad JRPG character design. It's so fucking stupid.

What the fuck are those things and how do they help Flemeth be a better witch?!?!

Lara Croft?
I know it's not quite what you're looking for, but Lara Croft would be the obvious one:

Oh yeah I guess there's her.

Pretty much. The only time he isn't, he's a shattered wreck before he gets right for real and good. That pic is spot on, ESPECIALLY because it's how Zack also was; that's the point.

I love how people use this quote to show that Cloud was badass, even though what actually happens in the game after that line is Cid immediately mocking Cloud by saying that he sounds ridiculous saying that.

Rapstah

What the fuck are those things and how do they help Flemeth be a better witch?!?!

She's secretly a dragon too, so when she turns into a human she still is a dragon a little bit, despite the entire point of her character being her pretending to be a witch who hides in a swamp.

JoeInky

I'm gonna be real, I think Fox's design in Smash 4 is the best so far. I'm curious as to how he'll look in the new Wii U StarFox.

Based on the Amiibo FAQ page, the WiiU design is a slightly altered Smash design. New headset, new jacket and possibly slightly different pants.

header.png

The Smash (which I guess is now the "main" Fox design) version is close to being good but it falls short in a few places.

main.png

-The god awful head design from command, what's wrong with making him look like, y'know, an actual Fox instead of this weird animal with a brain tumour?
-The fingerless gloves. In 64, Fox wears proper flight gloves, but now he wears these weird fingerless ones that end up making his fingers look like brown plasticine squeezed through a hole.

I also don't mind the feet in the new design, but I would like to go back to the whole prosthetic leg idea, or atleast make it look like they could be prosthetic, it's always been a cool idea to me.

E: I mean, just look at the StarFox icon, that's what a fox's head should look like, imagine if they changed it to be more in line with current Fox's design, it just looks silly.

KouCBQ2.png

Nekofrog

Banned
Some people do? I played the game when it was first released and he was a whiner. Him having atypical lines from his normally broody or "stoic" self doesn't change that.

Do some people just have really short memories? Did you even read what I was replying to?

For the record, I never played Kingdom Hearts, so I don't care how he's written in that game.

you should probably replay FF7.

cloud is a sardonic jackass for much of the game

DigitalDevilSummoner

zero cognitive reasoning abilities
That picture is basically SquareSoft vs SquareEnix.

This is the saddest part. This notion obsessed "fans" try to make by consciously taking things out of context or simply making up shit that are demonstrably nonsense. This notion about the catholic fall of every thing Square.

The character of Cloud Strife throughout Crisis Core, VII and Advent Children has been consistent with everything that happened and respectfully approached in every manner. He is one of the best realized characters to be introduced in gaming, next to... Solid Snake !

Objectively, amidst Square's downward spiral of greed, it's some of their best handled properties.

REDSLATE

Miranda Keyes in the "MCPO Collection"
MirandaKeyesMCPOCollection_zps3bde62d1.png

I don't know why the hell they decided to make her significantly older and uglier, but then again I don't know why they thought Reach was a good idea either...

The reverse of my other post:

The worst fusion of the worst elements of lizard and human.

At least the fully lizard version from MKDA knew what it was trying to be. All of the other ones since the move to polygons have been these bland hybrids, wearing pointless masks to evoke the ninja origin while also being completely obvious that he's a lizard. Go all the way human (outside of fatalities) or all the way lizard, stop being indecisive.

Jharp

She's secretly a dragon too, so when she turns into a human she still is a dragon a little bit, despite the entire point of her character being her pretending to be a witch who hides in a swamp.

Well, no, secretly she's an ancient Elven goddess that can shapeshift. I suppose the dragon connection is the best explanation for the hair design, but it still looks really goddamn dumb.

Greenzxy

I've seen a lot of nicky pickiness in this thread.
But if you really want to talk about WTF Design choices then why has no one mentioned the Castlevanias?

We got a warrior, Simon Belmot, who goes from this:

Simon_Belmont_Tabber.jpg

comparison.jpg

to this????:
simon.jpg

latest

The designs aren't bad by any means, but it makes no fucking sense in the context of things. They changed literally everything about the character, I didn't even know what their process behind it all. How do you go from a stoic barabian warrior to whatever flamboyant clothes he's wearing. And what the hell is going on with his face? The bisho design that was introduced was okay for Alcuard since it fit his vampire attributes, but then they had go around bastardized every single character.
It would've been great if they embraced how the characters looked previously.

Like what pisses me off is Richter Belmont in SOTN,
profile_picture_by_belmontrichter-d46meuc.jpg

Symphony-of-the-Night-Richter1.jpg

He looks nothing like his in game sprite which took from Rondo of Blood.
latest

We could've got a nice throw back with Rondo of Blood's classic 90s western/anime look compared with SOTN bishounen design, it would've been the perfect as this game was the bridge and departure from the classic Castlevania to the new Metriodvania style.

I'm not actually pissed, it's just a very upsetting to see.

MidEvlDed

Adding to Cloud's emo status in the image on the right, it should also be noted that he's carelessly holding the sword with the blade down, at risk of slicing through his ass and lower back at any moment.

I love how people use this quote to show that Cloud was badass, even though what actually happens in the game after that line is Cid immediately mocking Cloud by saying that he sounds ridiculous saying that.

Eee, who actually uses that quote to showcase him being badass? People love that quote because it's goofy. It's conveying that Cloud is just awkward and silly instead of serious and brooding.

Like what pisses me off is Richter Belmont in SOTN,
profile_picture_by_belmontrichter-d46meuc.jpg

Symphony-of-the-Night-Richter1.jpg

He looks nothing like his in game sprite which took from Rondo of Blood.
latest

We could've got a nice throw back with Rondo of Blood's classic 90s western/anime look compared with SOTN bishounen design, it would've been the perfect as this game was the bridge and departure from the classic Castlevania to the new Metriodvania style.

I'm not actually pissed, it's just a very upsetting to see.
Saturn version gave Richter a more fitting sprite.

KdylanR92

I don't know man I see almost no difference other than the really stupid "critiques" on the photo, "Shoes zipped and tied like someone fresh from military life" are you serious? If you don't like the new designs that's fine, but don't compare the new to the old and spin this dumb narrative about how it's a more emo design and the old one is more representative of his character when in reality the redesign is more fitting of his character.

TLDR: This photo is garbage

HeelPower

Adding to Cloud's emo status in the image on the right, it should also be noted that he's carelessly holding the sword with the blade down, at risk of slicing through his ass and lower back at any moment.

well he could potentially slice off the back of his head the way he's holding his blade in the left pic.

krizzx

I don't know man I see almost no difference other than the really stupid "critiques" on the photo, "Shoes zipped and tied like someone fresh from military life" are you serious? If you don't like the new designs that's fine, but don't compare the new to the old and spin this dumb narrative about how it's a more emo design and the old one is more representative of his character when in reality the redesign is more fitting of his character.

TLDR: This photo is garbage

I can see a huge difference. One that the photo isn't pointing out is hit hair. Its more yellow instead of orange like it used to be and his hair went from having one huge spike and one long bang in the front to being frizzy looking like like japanese boy band stars. Its more apparent in the CG images.

Old cloud
Cloud-ffvii-fmv-bike.png
Cloud_strife.jpg

New Cloud
Advent-Children-NA-cover.jpg
1242402_1372960897871_full.png

He went from a straight forward, hotheaded, proud, tough guy like someone from the military to a brooding, emo, uncaring, pretty boy like a generic anime bishounen. In all of his old pictures, he would have his head tilted up or straight forward. Now he always hangs his head low like that picture pointed out.
http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/ff7ac/screens/ff7ac135.jpg
http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb...8/8f/20130202101253!Cloud-advent-children.png
http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2..._grid__cloud_render__by_saihikawa-d5jtvux.png

Compare these two again

I can see a huge difference. One that the photo isn't pointing out is hit hair. Its more yellow instead of orange like it used to be and his hair went from having one huge spike and one long bang in the front to being frizzy looking like like japanese boy band stars. Its more apparent in the CG images.

He went from a straight forward, hotheaded, proud, tough guy like someone from the military to a brooding, emo, uncaring, pretty boy like a generic anime bishounen. In all of his old pictures, he would have his head tilted up or straight forward. Now he always hangs his head low like that picture pointed out.
http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/ff7ac/screens/ff7ac135.jpg
http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb...8/8f/20130202101253!Cloud-advent-children.png

Compare these two again

Are these posts serious?

The only differences in these models is the clothing and the polycount.

Also, look at the FFVII art, his hair is not orange, never was, and how does that even make him less emo? Having more colors and stronger hardware doesn't mean that the character became emo or whatever.

His pose in the Dissidia drawing is how Nomura draws lots of his characters. Sora is often seen like that in his 2D art. Looking distant, barely holding his weapon, Nomura draws tons of stuff like this.

Is Terra a brooding emo now? Is Hatsune Miku a brooding emo now? Is half the cast of Kingdom Hearts brooding emos now?

Seriously, that has to be the most stupid pic in this thread.

Posts like these make me wonder if people know the difference between character redesigns and a newer CG model of the same design. Ratchet in particular looks identical outside of the improved CG allowing for better facial expressions,

Attention to detail, man. Fox got totally ruined in later versions, it is not the same design. It's a similar but definitely changed design.

Fox N64>Melee was indeed a very similar design but with a better model and texturing, as you implied. They aimed to stay true to his design while updating it with newer tech.
Melee>Assault totally changed him. It's much more than just a newer model.

Sure most of the same things are present but the proportions of them all are totally changed.
His snout is shortened, his nose changed size, his brow line is a different shape, the shape of the head is more egg-like rather than oval, his lower jaw is totally different, his torso is longer, his shoulders are narrower.

It is not just a "better" cg model of the exact same design. That's like saying the only difference between these two pictures is makeup:

TQBYFF5.jpg

A-V-B

Are these posts serious?

The only differences in these models is the clothing and the polycount.

Also, look at the FFVII art, his hair is not orange, never was, and how does that even make him less emo? Having more colors and stronger hardware doesn't mean that the character became emo or whatever.

His pose in the Dissidia drawing is how Nomura draws lots of his characters. Sora is often seen like that in his 2D art. Looking distant, barely holding his weapon, Nomura draws tons of stuff like this.

Is Terra a brooding emo now? Is Hatsune Miku a brooding emo now? Is half the cast of Kingdom Hearts brooding emos now?

Seriously, that has to be the most stupid pic in this thread.

...doesn't anyone here remember Advent Children? It wasn't just a drawing. They made his character a mopey, unsympathetic slab of drywall.

Top Bottom