• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Full PS4 specs, console and controller [Blu-ray drive confirmed]

DBT85

Can someone estimate the BOM cost? From the looks of it, unless they want to loss something on the HW, it doesn't see to be anything below $500

And where are you getting that estimate from?

The APU is going to be determined by total size and yield per wafer.Size has probably already been estimated but we don't know the yields.

The RAM is going to be bought in quantities that GDDR5 has probably never been bought in before and in so doing lowering the price.

Lucent

8493790426_7aa90d4e13_h.jpg

The controller looks so good imo. I was afraid it'd be terrible after seeing the prototype. But, after seeing it from all those angles, it looks so good. It looks like it has grip and the R2/L2 remind me of the PS Move trigger (which I never invested in).

ironcreed

Banned
Considering how long the next gen will likely be, I am glad they are going all out premium. Look at what they have been able to do on the PS3 this late in the game. Can you imagine what they will be able to do with this in the coming years? Factor in how developer friendly it is and you can only imagine how we will be wowed.

And where are you getting that estimate from?

The APU is going to be determined by total size and yield per wafer.Size has probably already been estimated but we don't know the yields.

The RAM is going to be bought in quantities that GDDR5 has probably never been bought in before and in so doing lowering the price.
Well, it seems to have several times more than everything current gen consoles have, so it seems expecting it to roughly cost 2-3 times made sense; then on top of it is the added technology to the controller and also the camera.

But of course, if I knew what I was doing I wouldn't ask -_-

i am a bit disappointed that there aren't charging contacts on the controller. it should be fairly simple to put some pogo pins on the back of it, right?

i really don't want to recharge with cables or attach a dongle onto it this gen. i have the official sony charging station with those dongles attached to my controllers, and it's great and all, but i don't like having those attached. i wish it was just built into the DS3's.

It has 8 gig of GDDR5 total.

Extremely large pool of extremely fast ram, especially when compared to other consoles, even PC.

So that's distributed between the GPU and system memory? Like, on my desktop I have 1 gig of ram on my graphics card, and 6 gigs on my motherboard.

So which kind of ram is this?

Roo

I have a question about the controller. The battery, actually
it says it's capacity is 1000 mAh (tentative)
how does it compare to the Wii U pro controller?

Elios83

Wait, is the light strip on the top for the camera to offer move like functionality? It doesn't seem to say that

Nope it seems like Move will continue to live on the PS4 but by itself.
The light on the controller will be used for other gameplay purposes like suggesting to the player different things (health status, colored objectives, distinguish the controller while playing in multiplayer) contextually with the game they're playing. But they're also mentioning that having a light will allow the camera to have a better tracking of the controller/player.

So that's distributed between the GPU and system memory? Like, on my desktop I have 1 gig of ram on my graphics card, and 6 gigs on my motherboard.

So which kind of ram is this?

It's unified memory, both CPU and GPU read/write from/to the same memory.

Basch

Remember they still need to sell PS3s and Vitas as best they can for the better part of a year.

Keeping it all a bit "up in the air" is a good move at this stage rather than "here it is you can't have it"

Makes sense, especially after how they just casually mentioned no PS3 BC.

Nope it seems like Move will continue to live on the PS4 but by itself.
The light on the controller will be used for other gameplay purposes like suggesting to the player different things (health status, colored objectives, distinguish the controller while playing in multiplayer) contextually with the game they're playing. But they're also mentioning that having a light will allow the camera to have a better tracking of the controller/player.

It's unified memory, both CPU and GPU read/write from/to the same memory.
I'm guessing Eyetoy won't be packed in, but the light strip will be there to act as a future proofing device

DBT85

Well, it seems to have several times more than everything current gen consoles have, so it seems expecting it to roughly cost 2-3 times made sense; then on top of it is the added technology to the controller and also the camera.

But of course, if I knew what I was doing I wouldn't ask -_-

I didn't mean to be snappy, I'm sorry.

The PS3 and X360 are at this stage of their lives being sold for a profit. The hardware is cheaper now than it has ever been for them.

The new chips being used are an all in one design, so instead of having two separate lumps of silicone for CPU and GPU, you have one which comprises both called an APU.

Costs of chips are determined by how large that chip is (in so doing determining how many you get from one wafer) and how many usable chips you get from each wafer.

EG, the APU for PS4 might be small enough to get 20 chips on one wafer, but only 15 of them work properly. So the cost per chip is cost of wafer divided by 15, not 20.

As chips get made on smaller and smaller manufacturing processes, you can get more on to one wafer. As that process matures you also get more usable chips from that wafer.

IIRC the PS3 chips are still being made on 40nm and 45nm processes and are separate. The PS3 could potentially be being manufactured on the same size process or something considerably smaller like 22nm. I'm sure someone here knows where AMD are at on manufacturing sizes at the present time.

Also as that process size gets smaller you need less power, and so you generate less heat, so you need a smaller PSU and cooling solutions, saving you money on parts and weight when shipping.

As a result, a BOM is a little difficult to calculate, while soe might know the manufactuing size and I'm sure have already calculated the size of each chip, with no idea of yields each chip could be £60 or it could be £120 or more.

The memory is another one. If they are using stacking to get the GDDR5 on the board then it should be cheaper than putting 32/16 chips of RAM on the board. I think several people said stacking isn't ready yet though so maybe they'll do it the hard way for a year and then use stacking at a late date to save money and shrink the board down.

Nothing else in the box itself should be that expensive though I don't think.

Alex

That controller is fucking hideous, what on Earth happened there and who thought some of those aesthetic quirks were good ideas? It looks like an iffy third party pad.

The infamous playstation brand has the Xbox in the kill zone and is ready to strike. As long as they don't crash they will enter uncharted territory where consoles are flying off the shelves. Ms must be thinking, "this is the last of us".

Little big planet

Ramblin

Banned
The infamous playstation brand has the Xbox in the kill zone and is ready to strike. As long as they don't crash they will enter uncharted territory where consoles are flying off the shelves. Ms must be thinking, "this is the last of us".

Little big planet

No bones about it.

Hex

Banned
I think the PS4 is going to be sexy as hell considering the way their phones and other hardware has looked.
I am glad they did not rush it just to show it.

Top Bottom