• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Full PS4 specs, console and controller [Blu-ray drive confirmed]

DBT85

I have 8gigs of ram, I have no need for it in my PC outside of showing off. Why does the PS4 need it?

Your PC doesn't use it because they have to assume that most people don't have that much. It's a sound assumption, they don't. If you used production software you would want more than 8GB because that software is written in the knowledge that those people will have lots of RAM.

If you told every PC developer of any software that every PC would have 8GB of ram, the buggers would use it. That's what happens in a closed system. The developers know that everyone has 8GB to use.

J-Rzez

I have 8gigs of ram, I have no need for it in my PC outside of showing off. Why does the PS4 need it?

Because it's going to be around for 6-7 years at least before new hardware most likely? Maybe even longer since this gen dragged it's feet even longer.

Also, that secondary "chip", was it said the full background, or just apps and downloads are handled by it?

Yoshiya

Controller looks really nice. Anand says (and I assume it's known elsewhere) that it's confirmed the CPU + GPU is on a single die. Obvious source of some cost savings to throw towards the insane RAM.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Optical out? I'm glad. I know it was silly, but I feared for the future my sound system when Nintendo released the WiiU.

I don't think anyone follow Nintendo when it's about Audio or Video.

Wii U not having Dolby Digital,Blu-ray,Optical,Eathernet or even USB 3.0 was really bizarre decision from Nintendo, I don't even think they add that much cost on the system.

Paches

In 5 years see if devs are bitching about having 8GB.

If Sony has any foresight, hopefully we get this:

N64-Sys-Exp1_2.jpg

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
So how does that "instant play" work when you buy a 20 GB game and can start playing when it's downloaded for just a few minutes? I guess devs push important assets up front and just load later game assets in last? That seems so cool.

vazel

Banned
It's inevitable, remember 512 mb of ram was a huge milestone that epic had to fight for this current gen.
In 2005-2006 1-2GB was already the standard on gaming PCs. Presently on gaming PCs most still seem to be content with 4GB. 8GB of high bandwidth RAM may be good for the PS4 for a long time.

Just found this in the spec sheet:

"Combined with the Mono Headset that will be bundled with PS4,
gamers will also be able to chat with friends playing online, while hearing sound effects from
the controller in hand."

Nice, Sony. Nice :)

Scrabble

In 2005-2006 1-2GB was already the standard on gaming PCs. Presently on gaming PCs most still seem to be content with 4GB. 8GB of high bandwidth RAM may last the PS4 for a long time.

I think the circumstances are quite equal. 16gb of ram for a high end pc is becoming quite the norm, and I had to upgrade from 4gb to 8gb not too long ago just to eliminate stuttering from BF3. Still 8 gigs of GDDR5 is still super impressive and it's what devs asked for so I hope it satisfies for a long time.

So how does that "instant play" work when you buy a 20 GB game and can start playing when it's downloaded for just a few minutes? I guess devs push important assets up front and just load later game assets in last? That seems so cool.

I guess so. To be honest, I'd still expect maybe five to ten minute wait before you start, but that's still better than thirty minutes or an hour or whatever it is right now.

Zoe

I'm surprised more people aren't talking about this. I can't wrap my head around it unless they're using streaming until you can play off the download.

DBT85

Goddamn, PS3 controllers are already $50. With all these features, the PS4 controller might be crazy high.

But they don't cost that much to make. Sony can choose what price to sell at.

Also the extra features are a touch pad, a light and a 3.5mm socket. I doubt we are talking much.

Blizzard does this with Star Craft 2. The whole game is about 8GB, but you can start playing after downloading a few hundred MBs. It's a pretty cool feature.

vazel

Banned
I think the circumstances are quite equal. 16gb of ram for a high end pc is becoming quite the norm, and I had to upgrade from 4gb to 8gb not too long ago just to eliminate stuttering from BF3. Still 8 gigs of GDDR5 is still super impressive and it's what devs asked for so I hope it satisfies for a long time.
I'm not sure what's up with your BF3, it's a 32-bit application. I don't have that suttering problem on my 4GB system. I'm not calling you a liar or anything, I do see from searching Google that some people do have that stuttering problem with 4GB of RAM.

I've yet to encounter a game that chokes on my 4GB RAM(including BF3).

Gravijah

Back then, something like Battlefield 2 recommended 2 gigs, didn't it? What recommends 16 gigs today?

In addition, DUALSHOCK®4 will come with a built-in speaker and stereo headset jack, enabling PS4 users to enjoy high-fidelity sound effects of games from both the TV and also from the controller. Combined with the Mono Headset that will be bundled with PS4, gamers will also be able to chat with friends playing online, while hearing sound effects from the controller in hand.

is this saying what I think it is? You can use headphone to listen to audio while actuall tv sound is low/off?

-------

any word on built in wifi like on ps3?

------

start and select will be missed :( okay maybe not select....and start will be the new 'options' button obviously. plus the touchpad is an extra button. cool >_>

Wait, what happened to the PS, Select and Start buttons? Are they integrated into the touchpad or something? Or do the Share/Options buttons perform double duty?

G-Bus

Banned
With everyone gushing over the specs and what's been announcesd. What happens if we see another $599+ price point?

Will those tears of joy turn bitter?

With everyone gushing over the specs and what's been announcesd. What happens if we see another $599+ price point?

Will those tears of joy turn bitter?

It won't happen. And even if it does the specs last longer then the starting price point of the console. So go all out on the specs!

VanWinkle

Do we know if the PS4EYE will be bundled with every console?

It seems like a next-gen Kinect to me....

That's what I'm wondering. Maybe in a premium SKU?

Wait, what happened to the PS, Select and Start buttons? Are they integrated into the touchpad or something? Or do the Share/Options buttons perform double duty?

Share is a completely new thing. Options takes the place of what once was Start and Select.

Top Bottom