• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FUNimation Quituples Down on Broadcast Dubs – Offers New Primetime Streaming Block

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
http://www.funimation.com/blog/2015...cast_Dub_Announcement_Winter&utm_nooverride=1

Flower Mound, TX – (2/13/15) — Just three months after unveiling its Broadcast Dubs, FUNimation is expanding this initiative to include ten new shows for the Winter 2015 season, as well as a brand-new live stream talk show in partnership with ScrewAttack Entertainment.

Fans are taking notice as FUNimation drives the North American anime industry into the future with the new Broadcast Dubs and a new live stream project. “The overwhelmingly positive response to Broadcast Dubs and the performance of the first two series—PSYCHO-PASS 2 and Laughing Under the Clouds—made it clear that we’re on the right path. We realize that this is where the future is headed,” commented FUNimation’s founder and CEO, Gen Fukunaga.

“We’ve listened closely to our fans and have made changes in both our content offering and technical streaming experience. Broadcast Dubs, combined with our Sub Pass, tent pole titles, industry leading library, and technical improvements, have really accelerated subscription streaming growth. We’re committed to giving our fans more anime and more ways to watch.” said Mike DuBoise, EVP & Chief Operating Officer.

On Wednesday, February 18 at 8 p.m. Eastern / 7 p.m. Central, FUNimation will premiere its new two-hour primetime block of anime content, featuring the three hottest Broadcast Dub shows of the season and a new live discussion and recap show, DubbleTalk.

FUNimation’s best-known fan staffers, Justin Rojas and Lauren Moore, will join ScrewAttack’s Chad James and fans for episode recaps, fan questions and answers, special guest appearances, contests, and much more every Wednesday night on Funimation.com and on Twitch.tv.

“We really want to provide an outlet for our fans to come and talk with us about the shows they’re watching right now,” Justin Rojas explained.

The schedule for the Wednesday night block is as follows:

- 8:00 p.m. ET Assassination Classroom
- 8:30 p.m. ET Death Parade
- 9:00 p.m. ET Tokyo Ghoul √A
- 9:30 p.m. ET DubbleTalk
- See more at: http://www.funimation.com/blog/2015..._Winter&utm_nooverride=1#sthash.n1jJa5SL.dpuf

Asturie

Am I reading this correctly in that they are setting up a scheduled air time for shows but through streaming? Isn't one of the purposes of streaming so that you don't have to be in front of a tv/computer at a certain time?

basik

lol dubs...wont be surprised when funimation goes out of business... half the fanbase or more like me hates dubs and wont buy stuff without subs. and the days of selling a dvd with 3 episodes for $30 are gone and never coming back. all I can say is they better figure out how to make money off tv ads in streaming..

Malajax

lol dubs...wont be surprised when funimation goes out of business... half the fanbase or more like me hates dubs and wont buy stuff without subs. and the days of selling a dvd with 3 episodes for $30 are gone and never coming back. all I can say is they better figure out how to make money off tv ads in streaming..
You do realize that Funimation is the most successful anime distribution company in America, right? And that they haven't sold DVD sets with 3 episodes for $30 in probably close to a decade?

And good on them. They're clearly doing something right.

DarkFlow

Banned

Some people don't give a shit if they are dubbed or not. I don't always want to read subs to keep up with what's going on.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
They also charge extra for Dubs, obviously the numbers must be good to expand it.

Slayven

Man I can't believe we put up with that bullshit.

Savitar

VRNd1.jpg

Wheeljack539

Gold Member
Man I can't believe we put up with that bullshit.

We didn't know any better. As at the time it was 2 episode tapes for $24.99 for dub or $34.99 for sub.

Besides, wasn't it Funimation that was the first company that began to offer more than 3 episodes per dvd in the mid/late 2000s?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
You do realize that Funimation is the most successful anime distribution company in America, right? And that they haven't sold DVD sets with 3 episodes for $30 in probably close to a decade?

And good on them. They're clearly doing something right.

They may have finally found a way to lower their distribution costs enough to lower prices far enough to attract more customers. It's only good news for anime fans.

pa22word

Oh hey it's 2015 and people still see dubs as worse than Hitler apparently

Yeah, anime fans are so silly about this shit.

It's not surprising at all these types of people overlap with the insane, "I NEED A DISC OR I WILL NOT BUY IT!!!! PROFIT MARGINS ARENT THERE?! DONT RELEASE IT THEN, X-SHIT!" people who are fans of localized Japanese games.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
9b58299db1318c93af607eeda2514e2e6e5203586c9b8a5b6656f294e01b1c7d.jpg

You have the weirdest post history.

munchie64

Jeez people. No matter how they're released these days, subs are ALWAYS an option. Heck sometimes they're the only option.
Who gives a shit honestly. As long as the medium stays strong.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member

I'm actually happy they're doing dubs. Not everyone who watches anime is a hardcore otakufile. Plus, the English voice acting has been quite good for a while.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Dubs are so much better these days, and they're better for streaming on smaller screens or when you're multitasking like cooking in the kitchen or something. No reason to hate on dubs.

Cbajd5

I knew for weeks now that Death Parade was going to get a broadcast dub on intuition alone, but it's awesome they're doing it for Assassination Classroom too.

basik

first time i noticed funimation was when they took over one piece dvds..... but thats such a long series that i cant even start to buy it until its over and they make some kinda complete box set. the days of me buying anime dvds without watching it first are over...no more buying dvds then finding out the show got cancelled...fuck that bulllshit.

A dub has to be truly unbearable for me not to watch it (Deadman Wonderland's protag and live-action korean films). I like surfing the net while I listen to the characters talk and look over whenever an important scene is happening. I sat down to watch tv, not read.

Not

Banned
I hate the way Japanese voice actors tend to ham everything up. Like, 50 miles over the top. Maybe it's a cultural thing, but I couldn't get past 4 episodes of Gurren Lagann because of it.

A dub has to be truly unbearable for me not to watch it (Deadman Wonderland's protag and live-action korean films). I like surfing the net while I listen to the characters talk and look over whenever an important scene is happening. I sat down to watch tv, not read.

This. Like, I'll sub Ghibli films, but not TV anime. Which is kinda dumb because Ghibli films get the best dubs in the world, haha

jwk94

Yeah I couldn't care less if my anime is dubbed as long as I enjoy it.

Speak for yourself. I've gotten through tons of shows by putting them on in the background while I work without having to look up to read subs, thanks to perfectly serviceable dubs. It's not 1997 anymore.

Did I go back in time?

Blader

Dubs have been good for over a decade now, don't know where some of you guys are coming from. The 90s have been over for a long time.

bobawesome

It's almost it's really 1997 again!

Probably Sentai Filmworks

I never got the Sentai hate. The only dub I'd say is particularly bad of theirs is Little Busters.

bigkrev

I didn't know GAF was around in 2001!

Malajax

first time i noticed funimation was when they took over one piece dvds..... but thats such a long series that i cant even start to buy it until its over and they make some kinda complete box set. the days of me buying anime dvds without watching it first are over...no more buying dvds then finding out the show got cancelled...fuck that bulllshit.

Jeez, you really did step out of a time warp. You know you can watch entire shows on this thing called the "internet" for free and legally?! Those cotdamn computers, I tell you what.

Wheeljack539

Gold Member
It's almost it's really 1997 again!

I never got the Sentai hate. The only dub I'd say is particularly bad of theirs is Little Busters.

Sentai was formerly ADV, right? ADV was pretty damn inconsistent with their dubs. They had a great talent pool that could do some really great stuff but it always seemed like one title was a hit while another one languished despite having mostly the same cast.

I didn't know GAF was around in 2001!

Earlier actually. I joined in late '99/'00.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Sentai was formerly ADV, right? ADV was pretty damn inconsistent with their dubs. They had a great talent pool that could do some really great stuff but it always seemed like one title was a hit while another one languished despite having mostly the same cast.

Earlier actually. I joined in late '99/'00.

But your profile says 2004. :(

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Any of you guys/gals subscribers to Funi's site? I've been trying to figure out whether it's worth the loot.

Crocodile

Do I have to use Funimation's player on their site and/or have one of their subcriptions to watch this? Are they streaming this on Twitch or is that only the fan Q&A. I had heard about their Broadcast Dubs and thought they were a great idea but I was waiting till they did one for a show I cared about (i.e. not Psycho-Pass).

Damn not even a full page at already we got the weeaboos coming out :p Also, you may want to check your calender, its the year 2015 :p

I hate the way Japanese voice actors tend to ham everything up. Like, 50 miles over the top. Maybe it's a cultural thing, but I couldn't get past 4 episodes of Gurren Lagann because of it.

Gurren Lagann is inherently a hammy show (at many points), if you want more subdued voice acting watch a more subdued show. I have no idea how you extrapolate a "cultural thing" based on a single (or perhaps even a group) of show(s) in a particular genre. You also missed a classic because Gurren Lagann is amazing but whatever

Err most of the shows coming out of Japan are being streamed legally by the likes of Crunchyroll, Funimation themselves, Hulu, Netflix, etc. If you want to preview stuff before you buy it legally, it isn't hard.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I don't have a problem with dubs, but in the age where we can get subs streamed as they air on sites like Crunchyroll and such, I just don't really see the point in them besides a sense of nostalgia.

Lemme guess: Fairy Tail.

I love me some dubbed anime. But, Todd Haberkon's voice makes me want to rip my freaking ears off.
no-2.gif
I love the Fairy Tail dub! You can tell the cast is having a ton of fun with their lines so it makes for a fun watch. And I love Haberkorn! I'd love to see more of him almost as much as I'd love to see more Travis Willingham!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom