• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FUNimation Quituples Down on Broadcast Dubs – Offers New Primetime Streaming Block

Status
Not open for further replies.
ima bump this thread when funimation goes out of business just to burn you people talking shit lol.
Dude give it up. If they made it out of the anime crash in the mid 2000's in the US, they'll certainly be okay in today's marketplace. Especially when Hulu, Netflix and Crunchyroll are earning them good revenue for newly localized content. Hell, even Toonami is back on the air. Sorry, you just have to deal with this filthy baka gaijin english dubbing for a long time.

Mecha

Dubs have improved over time, but I'm not a fan of the unnatural pauses some dubs have during conversations to fit with the characters mouth movement.

Malajax

I don't have a problem with dubs, but in the age where we can get subs streamed as they air on sites like Crunchyroll and such, I just don't really see the point in them besides a sense of nostalgia.
I dunno man. English is pretty cool. Besides, dubs are really, really good right now. I never thought that DBZ would ever have a good dub, but DBKai is excellent.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Dubs have improved over time, but I'm not a fan of the unnatural pauses some dubs have during conversations to fit with the characters mouth movement.

That's my biggest issue, there's always this unnaturalness to dubs that I seem to pick up more and more as an adult.

ima bump this thread when funimation goes out of business just to burn you people talking shit lol.
cFoHq1o.gif
Come on, bruh. Don't be like that. There's a lot of great dubs out there and Funi's been doing a great job refining their craft for years.

Watch Da Birdie

Oh, and just because someone prefers subbed doesn't mean they think Japanese > English. It's just I prefer the original language for whatever I'm watching.

Mecha

Just be happy funimation gives people jobs and supports/popularizes the industry, I'm not sure why any anime fan would be against them.

Crocodile

I don't have a problem with dubs, but in the age where we can get subs streamed as they air on sites like Crunchyroll and such, I just don't really see the point in them besides a sense of nostalgia.

It's not hard to understand
  • Watching material dubbed can make it easier to follow, understand and enjoy. Depending on the setting and narrative, having the cast speak English comes off as more natural.
  • English voice directors and actors are pretty skilled and can turn out strong performances with consistency. They can match and occasionally surpass the original Japanese script or performances.
  • Unlike live action films, you don't get that odd disconnect (or its significantly reduced) where the mouth movement and the mannerisms of the live action actors are totally at odds with the language they are speaking in a dubbed over live-action film.

I can't believe we still have people having difficulty understanding why dubs are popular. How dense can one be?
lol dubs...wont be surprised when funimation goes out of business... half the fanbase or more like me hates dubs and wont buy stuff without subs. and the days of selling a dvd with 3 episodes for $30 are gone and never coming back. all I can say is they better figure out how to make money off tv ads in streaming..
WEsKjz4.gif

I've always been curious if the kind of arguments about anime that we have, is had by others about say, American cartoons.
And Aniplex is trying to bring that pain to America full time!
Fuck Aniplex. They're monsters.
One time I listened to a dub and now I have cancer.
I'm betting those events weren't related.
A dub has to be truly unbearable for me not to watch it (Deadman Wonderland's protag and live-action korean films). I like surfing the net while I listen to the characters talk and look over whenever an important scene is happening. I sat down to watch tv, not read.

Lemme guess: Fairy Tail.

I love me some dubbed anime. But, Todd Haberkon's voice makes me want to rip my freaking ears off.
You're both monsters.
JoJo is mysteriously dubless as well. HxH seems to be in some nether area. There is a rumor the rights were picked up but we have no clue by who.
HxH 2011 did go up on Netflix subbed, though. I wonder who would snag those rights? Crunchyroll had the original streaming rights, and now Netflix also has them. Or do they still have them? I'm too lazy to make a new tab and check.

I really want that dub. Casting that dub was something I was doing for awhile. Also, haven't the newest Jojo series been getting dubs? I was almost positive that the first two series did.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
JoJo is mysteriously dubless as well. HxH seems to be in some nether area. There is a rumor the rights were picked up but we have no clue by who.

JoJo is dubbed. I'm trying to find an interview that Tokyo TV did with Navarre Corp (parent company of Funimation) back in 08. According to the interview most of the anime produced is dubbed before it's released in Japan. Navarre did a three year deal with Netflix. Anime was the most watched genre on the service before Funimation found they could make more money using their own streaming service.

It seems like a pretty good deal to me.

It will also probably be the closest we'll ever get to reliving Toonami's prime during the weekdays.

Since modern networks won't air anime blocks during Primetime anymore.

Well this thread escalated quickly. It's fine if you don't like dubbed anime, but I don't see any reason to hate on dubbed anime releases or the companies that make them.

I'm glad to see Funimation doing well. I purchase a fair amount of Anime from them. I like how they include episode commentary with the voice actors. It is interesting to hear them talk about what they think about the show, and the voice acting process in general.

Put me in the camp that can enjoy anime both subbed and dubbed. My practice is watch an anime that interests me subbed and if I like it, I get the dubbed DVD/Blu-Ray when it releases.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Sometimes the dub is better.

Watch Da Birdie

I'll give you the other two but I'll never agree on this, I totally love Goku's original voice even if it is voiced by a woman, and is far more enticing to me than Sean's Superman-lite delivery.

Neoxon

lol dubs...wont be surprised when funimation goes out of business... half the fanbase or more like me hates dubs and wont buy stuff without subs. and the days of selling a dvd with 3 episodes for $30 are gone and never coming back. all I can say is they better figure out how to make money off tv ads in streaming..

first time i noticed funimation was when they took over one piece dvds..... but thats such a long series that i cant even start to buy it until its over and they make some kinda complete box set. the days of me buying anime dvds without watching it first are over...no more buying dvds then finding out the show got cancelled...fuck that bulllshit.

How is this asshole not banned, yet?

*LIGHTS MOD SIGNAL*

Watch Da Birdie

I will say I still appreciate when video games are dubbed, since those are more active and thus using subtitles is often a bit cumbersome, not to mention you miss out on a lot of the flavor dialouge which isn't subbed.

Like the Musou games that aren't dubbed are a bit annoying since you have to look to see the on-screen prompts rather than hearing it in a language I can understand.

It's not a quality, Japan vs. US for me though when I say I don't see the point of dubs, it's just I think I'd rather see the good US voice actors do more projects specifically tailored for them, such as original Western animation.

sensui-tomo

I will say I still appreciate when video games are dubbed, since those are more active and thus using subtitles is often a bit cumbersome, not to mention you miss out on a lot of the flavor dialouge which isn't subbed.

Like the Musou games that aren't dubbed are a bit annoying since you have to look to see the on-screen prompts rather than hearing it in a language I can understand.

It's not a quality, Japan vs. US for me though when I say I don't see the point of dubs, it's just I think I'd rather see the good US voice actors do more projects specifically tailored for them, such as original Western animation.

One of the issues with one musou game i saw was that they didnt give the right dialog with the sound, dong zhou actually says something and the dialog box said "HAHAHA"
but the only time i wont deal with a dub is when its Arc rise fantasia level bad.
also to someone above, there was a test for a jojo stardust crusader dub, i forgot who licensed it but all i remember was the dude who voiced xehenort's heartless(kingdom hearts who wasnt billy zane) voiced jotaro's grandfather and jotaro was voiced by matt mercer(the dude who sounds like troy baker and voiced kanji tatsumi for persona 4 stuff with troy couldnt voice him)

Cool, sounds great.

Dubs have been good for over a decade now, don't know where some of you guys are coming from. The 90s have been over for a long time.

Well this thread escalated quickly. It's fine if you don't like dubbed anime, but I don't see any reason to hate on dubbed anime releases or the companies that make them.

I'm glad to see Funimation doing well. I purchase a fair amount of Anime from them. I like how they include episode commentary with the voice actors. It is interesting to hear them talk about what they think about the show, and the voice acting process in general.

Put me in the camp that can enjoy anime both subbed and dubbed. My practice is watch an anime that interests me subbed and if I like it, I get the dubbed DVD/Blu-Ray when it releases.

This.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Funimation are the devil. I don't think I'll ever warm up to them after how they've treated their DBZ releases.

Malajax

Funimation are the devil. I don't think I'll ever warm up to them after how they've treated their DBZ releases.
... What? I guess you're talking about the orange bricks, cropping, or just the sheer number of releases. They did manage to get one right with the Dragon Box sets since those are amazing. Too bad they meant what they said when they said it was a limited release.

dubbed vs sub arguement in 2015, wtf is this 1997? If anything i think funi's business model for this is pretty innovative and balsy to dub something as its airing.

are these live only?

because when I watched something its HULU embedded
unless that's how they've been doing it. One Piece wasn't like that last time I watched (2 yrs ago lol)

Busaiku

Man, I was hoping for Cute High Earth Defense Force Club Love.
Why in the world do they have delayed subtitle stream if they weren't gonna go for broadcast dubs?

zulux21

Any of you guys/gals subscribers to Funi's site? I've been trying to figure out whether it's worth the loot.

I am a subscriber. If you enjoy dubs it's not hard to justify the cost of the sub, if you don't it's a bit harder to justify, but at the same time funimation seems to be pushing harder in the simulcast area and thus for north america could be quite important to legally watch a number of shows from here on out as they snagged a ton of shows from crunchy roll this time around.

as for the dubbings, I don't mind this at all, but I wish they weren't being so aggressive with dubs/shows in a season that is mostly garbage anime. Ideally they are this aggressive next season when a ton of (likely) quality shows are coming.

I'll give you the other two but I'll never agree on this, I totally love Goku's original voice even if it is voiced by a woman, and is far more enticing to me than Sean's Superman-lite delivery.

Goku's Japanese voice is so bad it makes the original almost unwatchable for me.
Also I greatly prefer the music in the dub version.

Jex

I really don't care for dubs, at all, but I understand that there's a fairly sizeable chunk of viewers who wish to experience their shows in this fashion and it's good to see Funi catering to them. Anything that brings more people into the scene is fine by me.

Crocodile

Mosako Nozawa is an amazing voice actress, and while I like some of the Faulconer music the fact that it doesn't ever shut the fuck up ruins the show.

Faulconer music hasn't been used in any DBZ dub in probably close to a decade. Have you even watched the DBZ Kai dub or are you, like it seems many, basing your critiques on ancient work?

Is the first season of Tokyo Ghouls dubbed yet/had a dub announced? Obviously if it hasn't the fact they're dubbing s2 basically confirms s1 dub is a sure fire bet. Will be odd watching s2 before s1 in English

Moaradin

He's supposed to be a carefree, child-like hick.

The English voice actor gets that across just fine.

I really don't understand how having a child-like personality means he has to literally sound the same as he did when he was 10 years old. He can keep his personality and still hit puberty, you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom