• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FURIOSA: A MAD MAX Saga | Review Thread (It's Another Masterpiece)

Rat Rage

Gold Member
Yo, it's good! Fury Road had better practical effects and was better overall, but Furiosa is good. Loved the first one and had a really good time with this one, too! There's still plenty of really cool practical effects and the overall design of the movie is just great.
I don't think anybody is gonna be disapointed, especially the ones who liked Fury Road.

I didn't think it was very good tbh. Music and action aren't as good, Furiosa's journey isn't all that interesting, movie hinges upon Fury Road and feels like it needs to fill in all the blanks and lack of "lore" in Fury Road. Just felt completely unnecessary.

Furiosa isn't a "Boss Chick" but the movie isn't compelling at all. Disappointing.

Madflavor

3.5m in previews Thursday night, down from Fury Road's 3.7m. I'm also hearing it's not doing so hot tonight either. I think the budget was 168m, so they'd have to make roughly 400 - 420m to break even. If current projects of 30 - 40m Memorial Weekend opening are true, that ain't happening.

Might need to kiss Mad Max: The Wasteland goodbye.

Madflavor

NahaNago

This movie was kinda meh for me. I honestly enjoyed the first third of the movie when she was child. I probably would have enjoyed more of her slowly becoming furiosa and seeing her learn the skill, like how she got so good at shooting and fighting. The Anya portion was boring to me since she was mostly silent and other spoiler reasons. It also wasn't as visually stunning as the last mad max movie. I really thought we was getting a crazy angry furiosa just slaughtering folks and going crazy but this was more of a drama origin story peppered with some action.

Reactions: Gp1

TexMex

This movie is not a masterpiece, and doesn’t even approach Fury Road. In fact it abandons many things that made that movie so special.

But it was significantly better than I was expecting. A decent, worthy entry. But low expectations helped.

thefool

Yup, it's fucking dead. GG George. We were robbed of Mad Max: The Wasteland.

Oof.

If it doesn't find an audience in europe/asia, gonna be a huge bomb. Which, well, was very expected.

Goalus

I'll give it a chance as Fury Road is top-class. Not in the cinema of course, l'll buy it on disc some time later. Curious how much DEI was forced upon it.

violence

Gold Member

George Miller is trying to bring cinema back and no one’s biting. RIP movies. This will be among the final greats. End of era.

jason10mm

Gold Member
So, is it yet ANOTHER female fronted action movie underperforming, disinterest in the Mad Max franchise in general, or a slow cinema year?

YCoCg

Gold Member
So, is it yet ANOTHER female fronted action movie underperforming, disinterest in the Mad Max franchise in general, or a slow cinema year?
Fury Road technically bombed by 2015 standards. So did Thunderdome, and did the video game by avalanche, so yeah, the franchise is always looked back on fondly but only the first two movies really were a "success".

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Saw this in 4DX with the family, great movie. Way more epic than Fury Road, which isn't necessarily a good or bad thing, just that it's much bigger in scope.

You can tell that having a child main character for half the film led to a lot of compromises, more stuff shot on green screen and the awful looking day-for-night scenes. Probably added a lot to the budget too.

Shame to hear it's underperforming. It's a more than solid entry in the series and a great companion to Fury Road. I don't think it's better than Fury Road, but I also think FR was one of the best action films ever made.

SF Kosmo

I'm glad this is tanking. We needed a sequel not a prequel.
Well that seems unlikely now. I don't know why you would be glad it's tanking when the audience and critical scores are both overwhelmingly positive. Why would you be that bothered by where it's set in the timeline?

I'll give it a chance as Fury Road is top-class. Not in the cinema of course, l'll buy it on disc some time later. Curious how much DEI was forced upon it.
Genuinely curious where this is coming from, are the anti-woke warriors mad at this movie? For what? It's exactly like the last one in tone and content. I'm really perplexed how anyone could call it woker than any other movie in the series.

Last edited:

Great review of this one from deep inside Hollywood. His criticisms of the film excessively using CGI to create the action sequences instead of the physical stunt work characteristic of the previous films gives me pause. If there was one franchise that should stay with physical stunts, as exemplified by Fury Road, it's this one.

SF Kosmo

Great review of this one from deep inside Hollywood. His criticisms of the film excessively using CGI to create the action sequences instead of the physical stunt work characteristic of the previous films gives me pause. If there was one franchise that should stay with physical stunts, as exemplified by Fury Road, it's this one.
In fairness I think a lot of what people clocked as bad looking was green screen rather than the CGI.

And I don't think they had a choice for a lot of this, there are a lot of really strict SAG rules any time you use child actors, so they can't shoot the movie the same way when they're using a kid as the main character for half the movie, especially around stunt safety and how many hours you can film, and filming at night.

John Landis infamously ignored these rules filming The Twilight Zone movie and got a couple kids and the movie's star killed.

I wasn't a fan of MM Fury Road. It looked good granted but it should just have been called Mad Maxine. They had too much attention focused on Furiosa whom I found to be an uninteresting character. Max Max in Fury Road was just bland and unmemorable. Instead of refocusing on Mad Max the character that carried the original trilogy they double down on Furiosa again and meet the same results. Plus the casting is just flavor of the month type stuff. Anna Taylor Joy is a good actor whenever I look at her all I see is a fawn. I mean seriously a few inches to each side and her eyes are on the side of her fucking head. I just can't get passed that. Miller should just have done the Wasteland movie. Tom Hardy is a good actor and I think would have been fine as Mad Max if the script was better.

I saw it at the cinema last night, and to be honest, I'm not sure what to think about it. The story of Furiosa story feels like it was already covered in Fury Road. The backstory of Furiosa is basically a summary of what was already presented to us already.

I was pretty checked out with Furiosa's storyline mostly, because they never really added anything more to it. I'm not sure what else to say without repeating myself. Her story was just really dry and paint by numbers stuff. The movie seems like it is more about the back story of the Citadel, and the two other neighboring cities of Guntown and Bulletfarm; and their 'networking' of trades/ goods.

Dr. Dementus almost seems like the star of the movie, as his conquest storyline does take up a lot of screentime. He is also the most interesting character in the movie. His 'three motorcycle' chariot is pretty crazy. Immorton Joe is great to see again. WarRig version 1 was cool to see it built. For me, the best thing about this movie was just seeing more of the wasteland locations on film.

There were no big action scenes like in Fury Road... even though Fury Road was essentially a couple giant action scenes (strung together with a few non-action scenes... ) But it has a few good smaller-smaller scale ones, like the multiple War Rig cases, and a chase scene with Furiosa and Dr. Dementus.

Furiosa almost feels like a side character, who just happened to be at these large events. There is no real investment for me, because her entire outcome was already pre-determined in Fury Road. There was never a moment when I felt 'tense' about any of her actions. If this is your first introduction to Furiosa as a character... maybe you would get more out of it?

As far as production goes, the movie looked fine for the most part. About what I would expect from a large budget WB movie. But it does have a cleaner look than Fury Road, there are some kinda iffy CG effects (I think I saw a few, for sure) as well as some weird composition shots. The JunkieXL audio score is also not as epic as Fury Roads. It feels like themes are just reused from that movie at different moments. It's not like the soundtrack is bad. But it is less inspired (?)

The movie starts with her character at the 'green place' , and then we see her get captured and delivered to Dr. Dementus. Who then takes his mass biker gang to find it. But they get sidetracked by a visit to the Citadel (Valhalla), in a pretty bad ass intimidation scene. Changes plans to take-over Guntown and the Bulletfarm instead.... Furiosa obviously ends up as a slave for Immorton Joe, getting on board with the original War Rig truck... which does have some cool robo arms, and is really chrome. Dr. Dementus schemes to take over the citadel as well, locking into a '40 day war' with Immorton Joe... guess who wins? I feel like the robot arms on the original War Rig were added to give Furiosa an understanding of how 'robotics' work, for the inevitable scene when she losses her arm and has to build a robotic one. Which yes, of course, has to be in this movie too. The film basically ends where Fury Road starts.

I was just expecting more in ways. The mass public seems to like it so far. It might be good as a 'b-side' movie. For me, It just makes me want to watch Fury Road.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

I was just expecting more in ways. The mass public seems to like it so far. It might be good as a 'b-side' movie. For me, It just makes me want to watch Fury Road.
Ultimately, I think a big problem here is that Fury Road is a tough act to follow. It's almost a perfect film, in that it executes so flawlessly on its intent, with its lean script that gave you just enough story for the stakes to matter, and relentless action that never loses its impact. It's a genuine masterpiece.

Furiosa is a very good film that's actually a lot more ambitious than Fury Road in a lot of ways. But it just can't outdo Fury Road for impact.

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
So this is more entertaining than watching paint dry?

car sliding GIF

Furiosa is a very good film that's actually a lot more ambitious than Fury Road in a lot of ways. But it just can't outdo Fury Road for impact.
I remember hearing about Fury Road' being announced in 2002 when Mel Gibson was on board. I was really excited that there was going to be another Mad Max movie in the style of the Road Warrior (still, my real favourite of the bunch). The movie was even called Fury Road back then, and was marketed as a return to the 'Road Warrior' style (mostly because of the mixed reception of Thunderdome) in the announcement. But it was a movie that sat around in development hell... and re-emerged in 2015 with a trailer, now featuring Tom Hardy as Mad Max. The movie was even planned to be turned into an anime feature because of the troubled development...

Furiosa spun out of that, and clearly does have its' own development hell storyline as well. Given that it took this long to release as a spin-off.

I'm just going to say that Mad Max movies are just hard to produce in general...

Ultimately, I think a big problem here is that Fury Road is a tough act to follow. It's almost a perfect film, in that it executes so flawlessly on its intent, with its lean script that gave you just enough story for the stakes to matter, and relentless action that never loses its impact. It's a genuine masterpiece.

Fury Road does a fantastic job world building and constructing an eco system around these three cities that all are part of a trade route system that involves lots of thieves and wasteland tribes. It really gives you a lot of exposition around the relationships of various characters.

Furiosa really shows how a lot of these events came to be through different time periods of Furiosa's life. The characterisations are actually still strong in Furiosa, and I do feel like Dr. Dementus is a really stand out character in the movie, and almost takes real center stage. His introduction is great. He does have a story arc that Furiosa doesn't really seem to have at all. Immortan Joe gets more screen time here as well, and really is a 'favorite character'. in the movie.

I think I need more time to think about Furiosa as a movie.

Last edited:

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Going to theaters is a waste of money and time imo. Glad to see other people realizing it.

I only go for special shit that I really care about... since Endgame I've only gone to the theater to see Godzilla: King of the Monsters, Godzilla Minus One, and Godzilla x Kong.
You realise that if more people realize that going to the theaters is a "waste of money and time" theaters won't be around for you to watch "special" stuff like Godzilla vs. Kong.

ahtlas7

Saw in 4dx last night and it’s a weak movie. At no point did it approach the cinematic marvel of Fury Road. It’s not a bad film but it missed something to make it special. Even feel like the soundtrack was weak.
The theater was empty at a prime time showing too. I mean the entire Brussels Kinepolis theater was rather dead. It’s going to be an off weekend for all cinema probably.
It hurts to say but the movie is a ‘meh’ to me.

I feel like maybe if you're gonna make a Mad Max movie, Mad Max should be in it

Audiences saw right through naming it "Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga" LMAO they aren't as dumb as Hollywood thinks

FunkMiller

Not surprised this is flopping. The Mad Max character was the pull for the original movies, and clearly also Fury Road. Hollywood has to learn they can’t just change out the thing that made a film popular and expect success.

Again, spray-painted, nomad motorcycle gangs zooming around in the desert starring 99% men aren’t for everyone.

Yes, yes Deadline! The problem… as ever these days… is too many men!

Last edited:
This movie isn't good because Max isn't in it btw. This movie isn't good because it isn't good. The "No Max = bad" narrative is dumb.

Never gave a fuck about Mad Max myself personally, watched Fury Road for the action and was not disappointed. Expected the same spectacle and didn't get it. Lightning doesn't strike twice.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Not surprised this is flopping. The Mad Max character was the pull for the original movies, and clearly also Fury Road. Hollywood has to learn they can’t just change out the thing that made a film popular and expect success.

Yes, yes Deadline! The problem… as ever these days… is too many men!
i called it in the other thread. this nonsense trend where you remove the lead and replace him with a strong woman didnt work with TLOU2, it didnt work here. they are going to do this with ghost of tsushima next apparently with a female character either replacing Jin or complementing him as a second lead. Then they are going to wonder why it didnt sell as well as the original.

i called it in the other thread. this nonsense trend where you remove the lead and replace him with a strong woman didnt work with TLOU2, it didnt work here. they are going to do this with ghost of tsushima next apparently with a female character either replacing Jin or complementing him as a second lead. Then they are going to wonder why it didnt sell as well as the original.
Mad Max, the franchise known for having no strong female characters.
Please explain how Max is replaced with Furiosa in this story.

violence

Gold Member
I think without these diversity quotes, female leads would have a awesome ratio of quality. Furiosa just gets drowned out by the mediocre in today’s landscape.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Well that seems unlikely now. I don't know why you would be glad it's tanking when the audience and critical scores are both overwhelmingly positive. Why would you be that bothered by where it's set in the timeline?
Maybe glad wasn't the right word. I simply don't care if it flops because it's not what I wanted. I'm not going to support something I didn't want in hopes of getting what I wanted. If there is never a sequel I won't lose any sleep over it.

Madflavor

I'm glad this is tanking. We needed a sequel not a prequel.
Maybe glad wasn't the right word. I simply don't care if it flops because it's not what I wanted. I'm not going to support something I didn't want in hopes of getting what I wanted. If there is never a sequel I won't lose any sleep over it.

George Miller's plan was to give you that sequel called Mad Max: The Wasteland after Furiosa. He's talked about this. That ain't happening now. It's looking to make $31m domestically for a 4-day opening. Worse than Morbius. That's pretty catastrophic. This will be the last Mad Max film we'll ever get. I didn't care about a Furiosa Prequel, but I sure as shit care that Mad Max: The Wasteland is pretty much dead in the water now.

Last edited:

Puscifer

3.5m in previews Thursday night, down from Fury Road's 3.7m. I'm also hearing it's not doing so hot tonight either. I think the budget was 168m, so they'd have to make roughly 400 - 420m to break even. If current projects of 30 - 40m Memorial Weekend opening are true, that ain't happening.

Might need to kiss Mad Max: The Wasteland goodbye.
The imax theaters here in Sacramento are borderline empty. I think blue angels had more seats taken :X

Movie is far from ordinarily get the fu*k away from these negative reviews.

My own gripes aside, I still think it is worth seeing for sure. If you are looking for more wasteland nightmares in the Mad Max universe, this is a good subsequent spin-off film. I hope it does well, so we could get another Mad Max movie. There are quite a few elements that I like about it.

Top Bottom