• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FURIOSA: A MAD MAX Saga | Review Thread (It's Another Masterpiece)

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
These were actual REVIEWS, noob. Not the early twitter impressions you're referring to.

General consensus is .. its great.

Seeing it on Wednesday.
Audience score is like 92% on this. The problem is not the movie but rather people at home's expectations of the movie.

I really think it comes down to the fact that a good portion of the overwhelmingly male audience for this series doesn't want to see a movie about a girl, especially if they ugly her up.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Audience score is like 92% on this. The problem is not the movie but rather people at home's expectations of the movie.

I really think it comes down to the fact that a good portion of the overwhelmingly male audience for this series doesn't want to see a movie about a girl, especially if they ugly her up.

That is a whole bunch of nonsense.

The real issue is that films are too fucking expensive to see. The cheapest theater I can find around me requires 20 dollars for ticket, 20 dollars more for a soda and popcorn, and 7-9 dollars per anything extra. You want some snocaps to go along with a small popcorn, soda, and the ticket? Shit will run you nearly 60 dollars. For a movie you will see once in theaters.

Meanwhile you can wait 1-3 months, see it in your home as many times as you like for 20-30 bones.

The theater experience simply isn't good enough, aside from IMAX for specific films, to warrant that pricing.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day

With those eyes I'm convinced she's got fish ancestry not too far back.

Woggleman

This it in some cases. I dislike woke stuff and misandrist feminism as much as anybody else but we need to stop calling anything with a tough and bad ass woman woke. Fury Road followed in the tradition of Ripley and Sarah Conner and hopefully this one does as well.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

The real issue is that films are too fucking expensive to see. The cheapest theater I can find around me requires 20 dollars for ticket, 20 dollars more for a soda and popcorn, and 7-9 dollars per anything extra. You want some snocaps to go along with a small popcorn, soda, and the ticket? Shit will run you nearly 60 dollars. For a movie you will see once in theaters.

Meanwhile you can wait 1-3 months, see it in your home as many times as you like for 20-30 bones.

The theater experience simply isn't good enough, aside from IMAX for specific films, to warrant that pricing.
That's a problem for all movies but does not explain why this movie in particular is doing sub-Morbius numbers.

We saw very recently people show up for stuff like Godzilla X Kong but not this. R-rating is limiting somewhat too, people want to bring the fam when they go out (I brought my daughter but I have a cool kid)

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
That's a problem for all movies but does not explain why this movie in particular is doing sub-Morbius numbers.

We saw very recently people show up for stuff like Godzilla X Kong but not this. R-rating is limiting somewhat too, people want to bring the fam when they go out (I brought my daughter but I have a cool kid)

Simple. One is a rated PG-13 and features a big monkey and lizard fighting a bigger monkey. It also released shortly after the previous highly praised and high selling Godzilla Minus One.

It has been nearly a decade since the last Mad Max, released at a poor time, is Rated R, has had very bad trailers with low quality effects (which I have heard are far improved in the final version), and shortly after numerous other blockbusters so people's wallets are rather tight.

I highly doubt the big reason people didn't go to see this movie is "big strong women" nonsense. Its more to do with the above points.

Last edited:

Lunarorbit

$58 million for a 4 day memorial weekend is legendary bomba

Don't make prequels. If you do maybe have the actual actors play their roles.

SF Kosmo

I highly doubt the big reason people didn't go to see this movie is "big strong women" nonsense. Its more to do with the above points.
Look, every single comment I have seen from someone talking about not going to it is because it "doesn't have Max" or they "didn't need furiosa's story" or vague accusations of being "woke" that seem uncorrelated to any specific complaint.

I don't know if these comments are representative of the public at large but they do seem to tell a story.

Saw it in IMAX. Overall a great film that's worth seeing in a theater, though it has some pacing issues and it's not as good as Fury Road.

Shame it's flopping, guess we're not getting The Wasteland then 😥😥😥

Mad Max movies have been flopping since 1985, as long as George wants to and can get enough funding then he'll make it.
LMAO this is one wild narrative you're trying to build here.

Mad Max 1 and 2 were wild financial successes for the budgets they had. Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome tried to be a bigger budget picture and failed at that. Then for 30 years, no Mad Max movies got made. George Miller wanted to make one sooner but nobody would fund it, to the point where Mel Gibson quite literally aged out of the role.

Then a miracle happened and eventually he got Fury Road made and while it didn't burn up the box office, it had a second life on Blu-ray and sold a LOT of copies. That was enough to get Furiosia greenlit. Since then, Hollywood has basically suicided this method of giving movies second lives on home media thanks to streaming. There will be no second life for Furiosa in the sense that Fury Road had.

So now George Miller is faced with the possibility that if he doesn't get The Wasteland greenlit right away, he might have to wait another 30 years and I don't know if he's gonna live that long.

YCoCg

Gold Member
LMAO this is one wild narrative you're trying to build here.
How when you just confirmed what I said, 1 and 2 were hits, Thunderdome (1985) was considered a bomb compared to the first two. Fury Road bombed at the cinema but got a second wind thanks to home sales, and now Furiosa is bombing. Hell let's include the 2015 game as well, that was a bomb! As I said earlier, Mad Max as a franchise is looked back on fondly but it hasn't been a huge cinema hit since the second one. At this point it feels like tradition for a Mad Max release to bomb and get attention AFTER.

edit: As for the George Miller part, he wasted several years due to fighting WB after Fury Road. If anything, hopefully The Wasteland will come a lot sooner.

Last edited:

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day

I don't know where you live. I just watched the new planet of the apes for $7 and popcorn was $6 at a Cinemark Tinseltown Granted nighttime prices are a few bucks more but still. Prices are not the problem.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

thefool

I can't believe there's anyone that watches Fury Road and leaves thinking "you know what would be cool: more about furiosa and those old ladies".
The existence of this film is akin to those preposterous fanfics about secondary characters we read online. But its very real and, sadly, a bomb so big it might kill the franchise.

Maybe they bring Mad Mel back for one last dance. At least there's no expectation to make money.

Last edited:

YCoCg

Gold Member
This movie did give us a live action Solid Snake though...

GOblPGgaUAAFWBS.jpg

SF Kosmo

I can't believe there's anyone that watches Fury Road and leaves thinking "you know what would be cool: more about furiosa and those old ladies".

I can't believe there's anyone that didn't. That movie completely made Max the sidekick and it was the most popular movie in the franchise...

Thaedolus

Well I wasn’t really planning on seeing it in the theater but my buddy and his wife came over tonight and they want to go so looks like we’re going. Hoping for the best; just rewatched Fury Road for the first time since the theaters and my god, it’s still so good

Toons

So can the narrative of "make good movies and ppl will come" die?

Because this movie looks to be by all accounts very good and its not even going to beat the Marvels.

Mvoie theaters are now back to hoping the Pixar movie or Deadpool can make them actual money this year.

Audiences have become antisocial and spoiled, studios throwing movies on streaming like 3 days after release and the increasing amount of people resorting to piracy has made the writing on the wall clear for me, for the last couple of years.

They need to stop putting the movies on streaming until at minimum a 8 months to year after release to train the audience off of it. People are only going to see movies that are basicslly demographic specific event films(Barbie), superhero movies(even the ones that do poorly are doing better than this), epics(Oppenheimer and dune), or something with insanely good marketing(again the barbenheimer trend)

Granted the mad max movies have never been huge box office juggernauts, but it beign this good and doing this bad is not a good sign.

Serge85

Look, every single comment I have seen from someone talking about not going to it is because it "doesn't have Max" or they "didn't need furiosa's story" or vague accusations of being "woke" that seem uncorrelated to any specific complaint.

I don't know if these comments are representative of the public at large but they do seem to tell a story.
Yeah, that's me.

I really enjoyed Furiosa, even more so than Fury Road. It's a pretty straightforward revenge story but the film did a great job of fleshing out the world and the characters of Fury Road. The movie probably could have used a few extra scenes to explain the time jump between young and older Furiosa as well as the relationship between Furiosa and the Rig driver. But I'm guessing they had to make some tough decisions to keep the movie under 2.5 hours. Also, no way in hell is Anya Taylor Joy passing off as boy for 15 years. Get the fuck out of here with that

edit- It's weird how muted Miller keeps the main character in the recent Mad Max films. I don't mind quieter characters, but Furiosa came across as a deaf mute(outside when she was pretending) in certain scenes, which just made no sense. It sounds like I'm bashing the movie, when I really liked it. Just a few really odd choices that stick out. Easy 9/10, maybe 9.5 on rewatch. There has to be a 3.5 hr cut of this movie somewhere in the future

Last edited:
Yep this is my takeaway. Fury Road is still the better movie. So when are they going to make a movie about Max? Kinda irritated me that he's only featured in the new one for all of 4 seconds. Sneeze and you woulda missed it.

As other pointed out and even the RLM review covers, Fury Road is a hard act to follow for George Miller, it may as well be his magma opus, as far as films are concerned. I was a little negative on Furiosa, because it feels like it is fleshing out what was already pretty well established in Fury Road. That was my biggest complaint, was that it didn't do a whole lot new, as it mostly covers the Fury Road backstory.

But if you watch Furiosa first, it may be an interesting introduction to Fury Road. It is still a good addition to the Mad Max franchise, and I would say it veers more into Thunderdome territory. Which may be a good thing, depending on how someone likes that one?

Last edited:

MrRibeye

Absolutely adored Fury Road, but none of the trailers of Furiosa hyped me up and I couldn't tell you what the story is.

Sybrix

Fury Road for me is one of the best action films ever made, i'd put it on par with Terminator 2.

I got tickets for Furiosa for Wednesday, i'm not expecting it to beat Fury Road but really looking forward to seeing it.

Toots

Gold Member
Wb GIF by Warner Bros. Pictures

Movie is far from ordinarily get the fu*k away from these negative reviews.
I watched some time ago a "how real is it ?" video about some sniper flick where the dude was telling that real sniper closed one eye to line their shot, but before shooting opened it again to keep their peripheral vision and not get caught off guard.
Now that im an expert sharpshooter i can't watch this gif without becoming blood red mad.

The problem with Furiosa is that it is just a good movie. But that's all to it. And just being good is not enough to bring people to the cinema. You need a phenomenon - like Barbenheimer or Dune.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I wasn't the biggest fan of fury road so i'm probably not even gonna bother with this one, i didn't gave a single fuck about furiosa in the first movie and taylor joy doesn't have the physique du role for action movies.

Last edited:

Madflavor

Saw it yesterday. It was really good and better than most shit coming out, but I would put it behind Fury Road and Mad Max 2. Pacing was a bit too slow, the music was forgettable, and the action scenes don't come close to reaching the heights of Fury Road. Sucks that this will probably be the last Mad Max film we'll ever get.

I still think her face is weird.

Her big anime eyes trigger the chimp part of my brain. I think she's stunning, and a really good actress. Sadly she's not a box office draw, but you can say that about 99% of actors today. Nobody goes to movies to see actors anymore.

F2a3j3wW0AAxPoB.jpg:large

Hudo

Saw it yesterday. It was really good and better than most shit coming out, but I would put it behind Fury Road and Mad Max 2. Pacing was a bit too slow, the music was forgettable, and the action scenes don't come close to reaching the heights of Fury Road. Sucks that this will probably be the last Mad Max film we'll ever get.

Her big anime eyes trigger the chimp part of my brain. I think she's stunning, and a really good actress. Sadly she's not a box office draw, but you can say that about 99% of actors today. Nobody goes to movies to see actors anymore.

I mean, I certainly would. What I meant to say by "weird" is that her face is noticeable.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I loved and love Fury Road, it's an incredible movie, but look, it just is what it is. I'm tired of girlboss movies. Not sure when or if I will ever watch this.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

By what metric? Don't get me wrong, Road Warrior is amazing, but Fury Road was the much bigger film.

Mad Max 2 was a bigger hit at the box office relative to Fury Road (adjusted). It had much more cultural impact as well.

Mind you, we’re both wrong actually. Mad Max made 100 million on a 200,000 dollar budget!

The point being don’t make a Mad Max movie without Mad Max.

He should have brought back Mel for an ‘Old man Max’ movie. But I guess Mel’s poisoned everyone against him with his bullshit.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member

100% I think every moment of her on screen during The Queen's Gambit turned my brain to mush. Just something about her does crazy things to my brain.

Raven117

Gold Member
So can the narrative of "make good movies and ppl will come" die?

Because this movie looks to be by all accounts very good and its not even going to beat the Marvels.

Mvoie theaters are now back to hoping the Pixar movie or Deadpool can make them actual money this year.

Audiences have become antisocial and spoiled, studios throwing movies on streaming like 3 days after release and the increasing amount of people resorting to piracy has made the writing on the wall clear for me, for the last couple of years.

They need to stop putting the movies on streaming until at minimum a 8 months to year after release to train the audience off of it. People are only going to see movies that are basicslly demographic specific event films(Barbie), superhero movies(even the ones that do poorly are doing better than this), epics(Oppenheimer and dune), or something with insanely good marketing(again the barbenheimer trend)

Granted the mad max movies have never been huge box office juggernauts, but it beign this good and doing this bad is not a good sign.
Man… I remember back in the old days… movies didn’t come out on VHS for like a year or so after release. It made sense to go to a theater.

Studios now have to make their money back quickly. With so much more content out there… they don’t have the luxury of waiting so long. They have to strike while the iron is hot… this a quick release on streaming…. The cycle gets worse and worse.

Theaters will eventually go the the way of the dodo.. or be more “speciality” type experiences.

It used to be cheap entertainment. Now…. The experience is much pricier. Why spend 150 bucks for a family of 4 (tickets… a few drinks a few snacks) when you can rent it for 20 bucks with 1.29 bag of popcorn at home?

Last edited:

Toons

Man… I remember back in the old days… movies didn’t come out on VHS for like a year or so after release. It made sense to go to a theater.

Studios now have to make their money back quickly. With so much more content out there… they don’t have the luxury of waiting so long. They have to strike while the iron is hot… this a quick release on streaming…. The cycle gets worse and worse.

Theaters will eventually go the the way of the dodo.. or be more “speciality” type experiences.

It used to be cheap entertainment. Now…. The experience is much pricier. Why spend 150 bucks for a family of 4 (tickets… a few drinks a few snacks) when you can rent it for 20 bucks with 1.29 bag of popcorn at home?

I mean, its like good restaurants. You're paying for an experience. Sure you can learn to cook and make pretty solid meals alone at home. But who wants to do that and stare at the same 4 walls every day all day?

Call me old fashioned but I like the tjeyaer going experience and enjoying a movie with a collective. Ticket prices aren't even THAT bad, its the concessions that are insane. You can still do deals in a lot of places and get tickets for 10 bucks or less.

One of these studios needs to have the balls to just do a "no streaming for _____ months" or something. One thing we know people want is SOMETHING to watch. And they arent going to get their fill on IG and tiktok. People want to watch movies, we just need to put the movies in a place people will want to go more readily.

I get that furiosa isn't exactly an A grade IP or anything. But I know that it isn't JUST marvel movies that people will watch and I say that as a big fan of superhero movies. I still planned on seeing fall guy even, but that is doing poorly and they tossed it to streaming after just 2 weeks! Wtf!

Raven117

Gold Member
I mean, its like good restaurants. You're paying for an experience. Sure you can learn to cook and make pretty solid meals alone at home. But who wants to do that and stare at the same 4 walls every day all day?

Call me old fashioned but I like the tjeyaer going experience and enjoying a movie with a collective. Ticket prices aren't even THAT bad, its the concessions that are insane. You can still do deals in a lot of places and get tickets for 10 bucks or less.

One of these studios needs to have the balls to just do a "no streaming for _____ months" or something. One thing we know people want is SOMETHING to watch. And they arent going to get their fill on IG and tiktok. People want to watch movies, we just need to put the movies in a place people will want to go more readily.

I get that furiosa isn't exactly an A grade IP or anything. But I know that it isn't JUST marvel movies that people will watch and I say that as a big fan of superhero movies. I still planned on seeing fall guy even, but that is doing poorly and they tossed it to streaming after just 2 weeks! Wtf!
I hear ya. There is something to “going to a movie” but at this point, it almost feels antiquated. I don’t think they will go away entirely, but they will turn into a speciality kind of thing.

Seems most folks would rather just stream at home at their own convenience. Especially when 90 percent of stuff coming out is just kinda middling garbage.

I tried to see it in IMAX but their audio was messed up. I thought it was just the movie being weird / moody at first but there was no bass channel entirely. You can imagine that really affected this movie -- we left about 30 mins in and got refunded as they couldn't fix the audio without restarting the whole thing.

Judging by the box office, by the time I'm able to figure out another time to see it again it will probably be out on streaming already. Disappointed.

Melon Husk

Audience likes it. Critics like it. It's not selling well.

It has to be the marketing that failed, right? The trailers made it look like Fury Road again with inferior CGI.

I saw zero hype about it online.

edit: Taylor-Joy was a fine choice except that audiences mostly know her from direct-to-streaming type Netflix movies. That's just my impression. It's hard to get that crowd into theaters.

edit2: I think not advertising Hemsworth enough in the trailers was a mistake.

Last edited:
Top Bottom