• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FutureMark: Benchmarks show Apple doesn't deliberately slows down older iPhones

wachie

E8odmmF.jpg

Benchmarking company Futuremark recently set out to debunk long-running speculation that Apple intentionally slows down older iPhones when it releases new software updates as a way to encourage its customers to buy new devices.

Starting in 2016, Futuremark collected over 100,000 benchmark results for seven different iPhone models across three versions of iOS, using that data to create performance comparison charts to determine whether there have been performance drops in iOS 9, iOS 10, and iOS 11.

Full article - https://www.macrumors.com/2017/10/06/apple-doesnt-deliberately-slow-older-iphones/

big_z

Synthetic benchmarks are meaningless if the user experience is worse.

Ios11 has been okay-ish on my iPhone 6. It does get hitchy now and then and there are very noticeable bugs but for me the large decrease in battery life is the biggest issue. The last version of iOS10 was fairly solid so moving to 11 feels like a alpha build.

KHarvey16

Synthetic benchmarks are meaningless if the user experience is worse.

User experience isn't what they were intending to measure here. It was just to address the conspiracy theory that code is manipulated to artificially slow down hardware.

big_z

User experience isn't what they were intending to measure here. It was just to address the conspiracy theory that code is manipulated to artificially slow down hardware.

I know just saying it’s the poor user experience that leads people into believing Apple is slowing down their phones and iOS 11 is by far the sloppiest release Apple has put out.

AFAIK, the issue isn't so much that Apple slows down the hardware, but that they don't use it as efficiently, requiring more and more power to maintain smooth performance as updates roll out. Kind of like the old adage "What Andy giveth, Bill taketh away," which was a reference to Windows becoming more and more of a resource hog as Intel's processors got faster.

I don't know if I'd say it's flat-out intentional, but I doubt Apple really goes out of their way to make sure 3-year-old phones run as smoothly as their current line. At the same time as well, there's probably a bit of rose-tinted glasses going on re: how people remember their older devices performing. So I'm kind in the middle on the issue of forced obsolescence.

Giolon

I know just saying it's the poor user experience that leads people into believing Apple is slowing down their phones and iOS 11 is by far the sloppiest release Apple has put out.

Idk. People have short memories. iOS 8 bricked people's phones at launch if you upgraded over the air (one of the earlier times this was an option). iOS 4 was so bad on the iPhone 3G Apple had to practically apologize and release major performance patches for it, and that's even after stripping basic new functionality like wallpapers.

iOS 11 seems worse than the last few releases in terms of stability and polish, but it's far from the worst.

Phone batteries get worse over time and a software update gives people a specific reason they can point to. In my experience no update has ever been especially worse than the previous version. Batteries just gradually begin to suck and you usually do a major update 9-12 months after you bought the phone in the first place.

antispin

Performance *does* degrade with updates. This just proves synthetic benches are meaningless. My iPad 3 doesn't run the same with its latest update than it did out of the box. My iPad Pro is still good though but a few more releases and I'm sure it won't perform as well as it does today.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
People holding onto older phones with shit batteries is the technological equivalent of people associating autism with flu shots.

1. You’re an idiot.

2. Lithium ion batteries are good for 18 months

3. Technology doesn’t advance on your schedule

4. Eat shit

People holding onto older phones with shit batteries is the technological equivalent of people associating autism with flu shots.

1. You’re an idiot.

4. Eat shit

Why are you being so belligerent? No one will take you seriously if you talk like that, or if you think Bloodborne is a bad game.

Trouble

Banned

1. You’re an idiot.

4. Eat shit

ow the edge

Alphahawk

Honestly, this should of been obvious. No company really has the time to figure out, how to make their products worse, furthermore there really isn't that big of an incentive to, over simply making the next experience better. if a company did engage in such behavior there would be quite a big change of a lawsuit, which most companies would also find unacceptable.The whole conspiracy really doesn't make sense, if you think about it for more than a second.

1. You’re an idiot.

4. Eat shit

And yet somehow, my Iphone 6 battery has miraculously recovered under IOS 11 after it would jump around all over the place before.

Entroyp

People are missing the point, these benchmarks are totally valid, every new version of IOS will require more from the CPU/GPU which will make older models run a bit slower.

These benchmarks achieve their purpose and the information is legit.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Why are you being so belligerent? No one will take you seriously if you talk like that, or if you think Bloodborne is a bad game.

Because conspiracy theorists on why their iphone 5 isn’t what it used to be shouldn’t be coddled. Batteries are shit and advancements in software necessiate better hardware. There isn’t a plot to get you to unnecessarily spend money, you just don’t understand the pace at which tech is moving or how anything functions.

Bloodborne is amazing.

Eat shit.

Engell

This test is specifically testing the graphics processor, and yes that doesn't magically change during the phones life and neither does the cpu.

But the daily tasks do slow down when apple is asking the cpu to handle more and more tasks. And as with everyone else, the more complex the system gets the more old hardware will suffer..

I had a iphone4 back from when it released, dont remember if it was IOS 6 or 7. But it basically broke the phone. Sometimes it wouldn't react fast enough for me to actually answer the phone when people called me :(

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.

1. You’re an idiot.

4. Eat shit
1. Debatable
2. Links?
3. Strawman
4. Having a bad day?

Terrell

Anyone saying the slowdown is a deliberate scheme is a fool.
Anyone pissed that new software features slow down their device incidentally can certainly champion for that to stop, but it will mean that software features will be cleaved off iOS releases for older models and then we’d have people bitching that they’re forcing us to buy new phones to enjoy features.

It’s a no-win scenario and users are creating it.

IDK man, every time a new one comes out and I update my old one.. a phone that I've never had issues with becomes slow and clunky as fuck. So I haven't updated to IOS 11 and my 7plus is still golden.

1. You’re an idiot.

4. Eat shit

Uh I'm currently stuck using my old as shit busted iPhone 5 and its battery still lasts all day.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
IDK man, every time a new one comes out and I update my old one.. a phone that I've never had issues with becomes slow and clunky as fuck. So I haven't updated to IOS 11 and my 7plus is still golden.

Newer versions of OSs uses more resources that older models don't have...It's really simple actually.

I never had an iphone but this is the same on Android phones as well. Once a phone reaches a certain age I stop updates and plan to get a new one.

I charge my SE on the 3rd day, on the average.

Holy shit really? Damn I feel like I've never had an iPhone that actually lasted much more than a full 24 hours, at least with normal use? Maybe if I turned everything off and made it purely a phone... but congrats! That's awesome. I don't remember even my 6+ having that longevity. It's been such a long time though so maybe I'm just forgetting *glares down at backup iPhone 5*

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
What‘s your point? It worked fine until I upgraded.
As phone OS's (and apps), just like nearly every piece of sw under the sun, get more are more functionality, we, as users, really need to be able to draw a line somewhere and not upgrade beyond that, as level of performance will eventually render the device unusable.

The problem with that, is that this rule goes against the vendors' interest in customers perpetually upgrading, for whatever reasons (security fixes, new revenue-stream apps, etc). I will salute the first vendor to implement the following policy:

1. Announce going beyond a certain OS version is not advisable for users of product X.
2. Keep providing security patches for lower OS versions several years after that point.

Right now, apple is not really in that category - their OS upgrades are far too aggressive, and the performance impact of their new versions is revealed only post-factum.

Holy shit really? Damn I feel like I've never had an iPhone that actually lasted much more than a full 24 hours, at least with normal use? Maybe if I turned everything off and made it purely a phone... but congrats! That's awesome. I don't remember even my 6+ having that longevity. It's been such a long time though so maybe I'm just forgetting *glares down at backup iPhone 5*
Well, I do use it mainly as a phone, with some light app & wi-fi usage. I always have a tablet and a notebook with me for most heavy app purposes. That said, the SE is apparently the second-best battery-life iphone.

ShowDog

This was a thing back when the CPU was as underpowered as the iPhone 4 trying to run iOS 6. Not on purpose but the OS was just too ambitious for that device.

The iPhone 5S still runs pretty damn well even on ios11 I don’t understand the complaints. That’s the 5th year / 5th major OS revision on that device and it’s the oldest hardware supported too.

I owned a 3G when ios4 rolled out and made the phone borderline useless. I owned a 4 when ios6 did make the phone useless. I’ll call em out when I see it. But lately it hasn’t been a thing with Apple.

Dazza

Anyone saying the slowdown is a deliberate scheme is a fool.
Anyone pissed that new software features slow down their device incidentally can certainly champion for that to stop, but it will mean that software features will be cleaved off iOS releases for older models and then we’d have people bitching that they’re forcing us to buy new phones to enjoy features.

It’s a no-win scenario and users are creating it.

Sure there is a win win scenario, allowing turning off of new features to achieve a speed boost. I don't expect this being something that Apple would adopt though, it's not their MO

Social

The rule seems to be that you should upgrade to one newer iOS version, then stop. If it shipped with 10 on release, upgrade to 11 and stop there, 12 will fuck it up, etc..

My SE is jailbroken and still on 9 and it has been the best. My wife her iPhone 6s was fine on iOS 10 but since the upgrade to 11... issues!

Ceres

Banned
The rule seems to be that you should upgrade to one newer iOS version, then stop. If it shipped with 10 on release, upgrade to 11 and stop there, 12 will fuck it up, etc..

My SE is jailbroken and still on 9 and it has been the best. My wife her iPhone 6s was fine on iOS 10 but since the upgrade to 11... issues!

6S here and upgrade actually fixed performance/freeze issues I had with resource heavy apps like Future Fight. Had to close just about every other app and delete and reinstall the app every week prior to 11. Even a fresh install of 10 hadn't fixed that.

Mokujin

IOs updates murdered iphone4 speed, that's a fact.

My iphone 5S on the other hand has been holding pretty well till now but havent updated to IOs 11, I would say that I'm quite annoyed by some changes made from IOS9 to IOS10 though (not getting to main screen after touch id, not being able to hear videos -only sound- after locking the screen)

TheContact

They don’t get slower, but the OS becomes more “needy”. It’s like if you have an old phone and you update to latest OS, compare that to having a windows xp’s Computer hardware upgrading to Windows 10. Yes you’re going to see a performance hit

satriales

Their newest phones only have 2GB of RAM when even my cheap Moto G came with 4GB. They want the hardware to only last a couple of years so that people keep upgrading.

TheContact

Their newest phones only have 2GB of RAM when even my cheap Moto G came with 4GB. They want the hardware to only last a couple of years so that people keep upgrading.

Your moto G needs 4gb of ram because it’s poorly optimized. The thing about Apple is everything is proprietary to the hardware and the software is designed around this proprietary hardware, unlike android phones which use a myriad of components based off of different manufacturers. This is why even the people who are against Apple still concede that it’s a reliable piece of hardware. Also not all RAM is equal

Pein

Banned

they have 3GB of ram and are so well optimized it doesn't need the ridiculous amount that android needs. My 6S plus which has 2GB still runs amazingly well.

Paz

Of course they aren't actually restricting older models from running their chips at the standard clock speeds, who in their right mind thought they'd be doing that?

But as someone who upgraded from an iphone 4S recently I can tell you they are building an ecosystem that often requires OS upgrades to run crucial apps and their OS designs don't seem to give a fuck about their old hardware at all, my 4S was practically unusable for the last few years.

iphone 7 now and loving life, probably for another year and a half....

Top Bottom