• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G/A/F Florida Woman pays $164K per year to live on luxury cruise ship

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaladin

Lee Wachtstetter, an 86-year-old Florida widow, took her daughter's advice. She sold her five bedroom Fort Lauderdale area home on 10 acres and became a permanent luxury cruise ship resident after her husband died.

Mama Lee, as she's known aboard the 11-year-old Crystal Serenity, has been living on the 1,070-passenger vessel longer than most of its 655 crew members — nearly seven years.

"My husband introduced me to cruising," she recalled. "Mason was a banker and real estate appraiser and taught me to love cruising. During our 50-year marriage we did 89 cruises. I've done nearly a hundred more and 15 world cruises."

What a life......I can't imagine living in that kind of environment 24/7/365....even after retirement.

Put me out to sea if old.

http://www.9news.com/story/life/201...-year-to-live-on-luxury-cruise-ship/22026447/

studyguy

That's a fantastic way to go out. Sure most people would be envious to have such a glamorous retirement.
Let that woman enjoy her twilight years as she sees fit.

Syriel

Suspecting that this "story" is a PR piece that was pitched to coincide with a marketing push.

It hit all the major US news outlets this week...and yesterday I got a mailer for Crystal Cruises (who I had never heard of before this news story) promoting their wares.

Kudos to the PR team that pulled this off. Brilliant move getting their brand in the national news with a feel good story the day before their advertising pieces hit mailboxes.

Why would anyone hate on this

My guess would be the level of extravagance needed for one old lady to travel on a cruise ship built for 1000's by herself.

The idea itself is cool. My friends parents sold their house and cashed in on 25 years of equity. They'll have enough to buy a sail boat and slip. Get a couple part time jobs and sail the west coast when they can.

Certainly expensive, but really, she's never alone. She has people to feed her, she has entertainment...I guess I kinda get it.

sounds like a way to wind down the years, meeting new people, something new to see constantly, surrounded by energy. beats decaying in a old folks home.

LakeEarth

For quite a while, my Aunt and Uncle were on cruise ships for half the year, including one ~2 month 'around the world' cruise trip which sounded amazing. My cousin hit it pretty big, so they get to go wherever they want. I got to go with them for a week once, it's pretty fun.

I wonder if she needs to check in and check out after every single week or something. Hopefully they do not let her do that and just let her automatically check in. All that packing and unpacking sounds like a real hassle if they do not let her do that.

Bit-Bit

Jesus, she must be on the Suites. A quick googling shows that the average price of a 7 day cruise is $500.

So 500 x 52 = $26,000.

Hey wait a minute, I can live on a cruise for that price. of course I'd have to figure out how to make money while I'm on the cruise.....

Grinchy

Banned
My guess would be the level of extravagance needed for one old lady to travel on a cruise ship built for 1000's by herself.

lol you thought she had a cruise ship with 655 crew members all to herself for $164K per year? Even if the ship was somehow free, she'd be paying everyone about $250 per year.

I think you've misunderstood. She's just one passenger on the cruise ship, not the only passenger.

Personally, I think it sounds nice. Always being around happy people on holiday having a good time. At least she's probably not lonely.

Zoe

Jesus, she must be on the Suites. A quick googling shows that the average price of a 7 day cruise is $500.

So 500 x 52 = $26,000.

Hey wait a minute, I can live on a cruise for that price. of course I'd have to figure out how to make money while I'm on the cruise.....

The ship she's on is significantly more expensive...

http://www.crystalcruises.com/Calendar.aspx

Edit: Actually, she must have an arrangement with them because a full year of the ship is over $200 thousand.

Edit2: The article says three other women live on the company's ships.

I've heard of people retiring, selling their property and living on cruise ships before. I wonder if they go on the same tours, stop at the same places.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom