• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G.A.M.E. 4.0 - Chiptunes/Retro SEXPLOSION!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pirahna1

btkadams said:
k seriously we need to get this thing out.

Yea, why do we need a sticky anyways? Just make a release thread for it and once whoever we're waiting for gets back to us we can sticky the release thread. At least we'll have something out there instead of nothing. From what I understand hosting and all that is taken care of, so let's do it.

pirahna1 said:
Yea, why do we need a sticky anyways? Just make a release thread for it and once whoever we're waiting for gets back to us we can sticky the release thread. At least we'll have something out there instead of nothing. From what I understand hosting and all that is taken care of, so let's do it.

If m0dus' bandwidth can hack it, I'll put it up when I get home tonight, everybody will have it for Monday morning.

Mark D

FightyF said:
So why not do the same, but do it with videogame quotes? As I mentioned, Portal has some good stuff. The MGS series, is a goldmine. Stuff from GTA to Halo to jRPGs to whatever...there is a lot of material and quotable stuff.

I did this on G.A.M.E. 2 ;)

I'm interested in using samples. I did it on my G.A.M.E. 1.0 track (though it was in renaissance Japanese so I don't think anybody understood it) but I've got other ideas.

The track I started doing for this compilation was heavily sample based, it's kinda funky but not sure how "dance" it is.

Hmm I don't know about that whole sampling idea. It's not that I don't like songs with samples in them, it's just that I'm not sure we should make a whole edition around that idea. If you want to use samples, then sure go ahead, I even loved the songs with samples on the previous editions that some of you guys did.

I have to say I really like the "Summer" idea though, since it will probably get released around then just in time. Plus it's a pretty open theme. I'm pretty sure if we make a Summer 2009 album, some of those who listen to it (us included) really will end up assiociating next summer with our album. It could have a pretty big impact!

It could be a nice surprise for everyone and a nice way to kick off an awesome summer. :)

m0dus

Banned
LiveFromKyoto said:
If m0dus' bandwidth can hack it, I'll put it up when I get home tonight, everybody will have it for Monday morning.

Well, my bandwidth probably can't handle being the ONLY download source, but one of many. still, put the dang thing up.

m0dus said:
Well, my bandwidth probably can't handle being the ONLY download source, but one of many. still, put the dang thing up.

I'm sacrificing my Rapidshare for it too.

And hey, this is still getting up before G.A.M.E. 3.1! Look for it around 3-4 AM EST when I get home from work.

SDZeta said:
Hmm I don't know about that whole sampling idea. It's not that I don't like songs with samples in them, it's just that I'm not sure we should make a whole edition around that idea. If you want to use samples, then sure go ahead, I even loved the songs with samples on the previous editions that some of you guys did.

I have to say I really like the "Summer" idea though, since it will probably get released around then just in time. Plus it's a pretty open theme. I'm pretty sure if we make a Summer 2009 album, some of those who listen to it (us included) really will end up assiociating next summer with our album. It could have a pretty big impact!

It could be a nice surprise for everyone and a nice way to kick off an awesome summer. :)

I could go with the summer theme too, I've got another "almost" finished track that's been in an unfinished state forever that would work well for that.

So, 5.0 ideas so far:

'Live' album
Collaborations
Ambient/experimental
Samples
Dance
I think it's fly when G.A.M.E. stops by for the summer (for the summer)

Fabiollo

For G.A.M.E. 5, I actually like the idea of hitting the summer with a comp of catchy tunes and pop stuff. Maybe we should find a leitmotif for it, like... I don't know. We need to brainstorm a little more.

LFK, start the official G5 thread...maybe it should have a code name or something, G4 got shit ton of downloads probably with lots of our unfinished tracks exposed :D

btkadams

monchi-kun said:
LFK, start the official G5 thread...maybe it should have a code name or something, G4 got shit ton of downloads probably with lots of our unfinished tracks exposed :D
call it the planning thread so it doesnt confuse anyone.

monchi-kun said:

Good idea, I'll make sure to emphasis the "planning" part.

Before I write up the thread - are we a go with summer tunes then? That seems to be getting the most responses at the moment, and is fairly open-ended with regard to genre - I don't want to restrict it to just pop stuff though. If somebody wants to do an industrial track that feels summery, I say go for it. I think an important thing with these projects is not shutting artists out.

I'd like to see if we can get this one out for the beginning of June. Three months should be okay (this one took 5, but a month of that was silly delay stuff) as long as we're better organized - and now I know what's involved with getting the whole thing out, the organization just kind of landed in my lap this time through.

m0dus - if we do summer stuff, I think you've already got a perfect cover artwork, could we use the surfing Joe Musashi Shinobi III artwork you did? I think it would convey the concept well.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
salut, people! you guys rock chiptune! ; )

big thank you to all the involved parties - 'been a pleasure!

m0dus

Banned
wait, so how is 'summer' a gaming related theme? let's try and keep it unified SOMEHOW, not a random amalgam of tunes . .

btkadams

so ive been trying to make a summerish song for game 5 (if that ends up being the theme) but i accidentally made a chippy song again lol. so are we doing game 4.1?

I don't mind creating the OP for 5.0, but I don't want to take charge of the release logistics just because I won't be any less busy then I was this time around, so I can't guarantee that there won't be the same kind of delays.

I'm certainly available to help with hosting, promotion, general organization etc., it's just probably better if the release isn't in the hands of somebody who's essentially working two full time jobs.

btkadams

halppppppp im using ableton and i have a question.

i have the "EQ Three" audio effect on one of my tracks and i was wondering if it was possible to have it so that over an 8 bar period the gradually reduce mid? i guess im wondering if there is some sort of automation. i'm fairly sure you can do this in the live mode but this song is set up in the way where you see all the tracks and whats on them (like in garageband or something). plase halp

Fusebox

Banned
You can automate into Arrangement view, but not Session view.

If you really want to automate the Mid cut into a midi clip in Session view you need to automate in Arrangement, cut the automation and past it onto the clip in Session view.

Let me know if you're still confused and I can take some screenshots of what it should look like...

btkadams

Fusebox said:
You can automate into Arrangement view, but not Session view.

If you really want to automate the Mid cut into a midi clip in Session view you need to automate in Arrangement, cut the automation and past it onto the clip in Session view.

Let me know if you're still confused and I can take some screenshots of what it should look like...
thank you so much!

Fusebox

Banned
No probs man, here's some pics so my post makes more sense...

Drop down the automation part of the track lane, then drop down the device list and select your EQ3

3338652531_30eb8d4f29_o.jpg

Drop down the EQ3 parameter list and select whichever EQ knob you want to tweak

3338652533_461c667e3b_o.jpg

Double-click on the red automation line to add drag markers and make that fade happen

3338652539_8948818e3f_o.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom