• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G.A.M.E. 4.0 - Chiptunes/Retro SEXPLOSION!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Broseybrose

I think every one did such a good job on their songs... ive been jamming to everyone's shit (especially Supradarky (who is that on gaf?)

lil smoke

Banned
Broseybrose said:
I think every one did such a good job on their songs... ive been jamming to everyone's shit (especially Supradarky (who is that on gaf?)
Supradarky's songs are the shit. Everyone's songs are good. The more you listen, the better they get. I usually have a big grin like this :D when I'm listening.

btkadams

DopeyFish said:
you better believe it
Apple-PC-Ads.jpg

m0dus

Banned
The art I posted is the final art--I left the back page blank so you could write in the track names :)

Though . . . I have been debating using one of these pics as the basis for the cover art instead (as this album hearkens back to the golden age of gaming) but since the art in that thread is title-specific, I wasn't exactly certain.

and lastly, you NEED to PM EVILORE before you make the release thread so he has the opportunity to sticky it, and make a post on the frontpage about it.

m0dus said:
The art I posted is the final art--I left the back page blank so you could write in the track names :)

Ah, gotcha. We all took "the final version will have..." to mean that there was another version coming. Would you be able to add the track list now that we've got it? I don't even have photoshop/gimp on my computer, and I'd probably mess it up.

Though . . . I have been debating using one of these pics as the basis for the cover art instead (as this album hearkens back to the golden age of gaming) but since the art in that thread is title-specific, I wasn't exactly certain.

I have to admit, the rocket-surfing ninja would add a certain je ne sais quoi.

m0dus

Banned
LiveFromKyoto said:
Ah, gotcha. We all took "the final version will have..." to mean that there was another version coming. Would you be able to add the track list now that we've got it? I don't even have photoshop/gimp on my computer, and I'd probably mess it up.

I have to admit, the rocket-surfing ninja would add a certain je ne sais quoi.

send me the track list and I'll see what I can do

holy shit...surf ninja is awesome

in any case, get me the art so i can package the folder all nice and tight with all the necessary tags and shit so LFK only needs to worry about the release thread.

m0dus, here is the track list (w/ artist). the names of the contributors on the Nintendo Seal of Quality will have to be updated since there are a few people you list on there that didn't submit anything

01 - OHVRWHRLD (monchi-kun)
02 - Ghost House '84 (Plastic Handgun)
03 - Sharcz (lil smoke)
04 - For Victory (DopeyFish)
05 - Rudolf's Bad Fur Day (blu)
06 - Chips Ahoy! (Dartastic)
07 - To the Last Boss! (Garcia)
08 - Through Stars and Bubbles (SupraDarky)
09 - Highs & Lows (Blake Adams)
10 - Modulations (pirahna1)
11 - ERRORboy in Retro-Land (Albino Samurai)
12 - Wily's Revenge (Garcia)
13 - Space Fight (Anthony Ambrosia)
14 - Old Rusty Broken Hardware (lil smoke)
15 - OK Now you Go (Blake Adams)
16 - That one game you never finished (LiveFromKyoto)
17 - UHNDRWHRLD (monchi-kun)
18 - Regaining Ground ("you")
19 - Through Factories and Needles (SupraDarky)
20 - Amagone (Trip Warhawkins)
21 - The SID is Vicious (The Bub Bard)
22 - Descending into the Dungeon (Garcia)
23 - Happy Chipcore (nrXic)

the names in parenthesis are the artist names that will appear on the album

m0dus said:
send me the track list and I'll see what I can do

This is what I got from the Final package:

01 OHVRWHRLD - monchi-kun
02 Ghost House '84 - Plastic Handgun
03 Sharcz - lil smoke
04 For Victory - DopeyFish
05 Rudolf's Bad Fur Day - blu
06 Chips Ahoy! - Dartastic
07 To the Last Boss! - Garcia
08 Through Stars and Bubbles - SupraDarky
09 Highs & Lows - Blake Adams (btkadams)
10 Modulations - pirhana1
11 ERRORboy in Retro-Land - Albino Samurai
12 Wily's Revenge - Garcia
13 Space Fight - Anthony Ambrosia
14 Old Rusty Broken Hardware - lil smoke
15 OK Now You Go - Blake Adams (btkadams)
16 That one game you never finished back when - LiveFromKyoto
17 UHNDRWHRLD - monchi-kun
18 Regaining Ground - some guy
19 Through Factories and Needles - SupraDarky
20 Amagone - Trip Warhawkins
21 The SID is Vicious - The Bub Bard (Fabiollo)
22 Descending into the Dungeon - Garcia
23 Happy Chipcore - FightyF

Everybody make sure I haven't missed anyone!

just remember to post the art m0dus so i can copy and embed into the music package so i can send LFK the link to the final release zip file link

Hey! I haven't been around too much lately, had my first exam today and I've got 4 more next week... Anyways, everything sounds quite awesome, my favorites change almost everyday. Amagone, Forvictory, overworld, happy chipcore, Regaining Ground etc. they're all awesome. The 2 vocal tracks from bk are refreshing too, and those songs by Garcia have sick compositions. All great.

FightyF

Banned
m0dus said:

and lastly, you NEED to PM EVILORE before you make the release thread so he has the opportunity to sticky it, and make a post on the frontpage about it.

I think that redone art would be PERFECT for the sort of album you suggested, where we did better sounding remixes of 8/16-bit tunes.

That's right monchi, it's nrXic. LiveFromKyoto's list has my GAF handle, which is incorrect.

FightyF said:
That's right monchi, it's nrXic. LiveFromKyoto's list has my GAF handle, which is incorrect.

I was taking it from the actual mp3, I'd need to go back and check (I'm at work right now) but I think it might say that on the actual track.

Darkpen

Banned
m0dus: ....that's not seriously the final art for the cover... is it?

Oh, and I think you missed the C in "electronica," unless it was intentional

m0dus

Banned
Darkpen said:
m0dus: ....that's not seriously the final art for the cover... is it?

Oh, and I think you missed the C in "electronica," unless it was intentional

I think you may have missed the point. the idea was to capture the look of the no-name 80's publisher bringing over a badly translated NES cart, with little or no effort to establish context for its obscure anime artwork or storyline. I previewed the artwork for everyone WEEKS ago to be sure people were on board with the idea. Seriously, the point was to make it look pretty cheesy.

I did work on a cover based on the 8 and 16-bit HD remix stuff I've been doing, but nobody displayed any interest (I imagine, because those revolved around specific games)

and yeah, it has always been 'electronia,' NOT 'electronica' .

I'm certainly willing to change it, if people don't like the current design. let me know. I am working on an alternate style to go on the website, anyhow. :)

i just noticed the "neogaf seal of approval" still has names of people who are not on the album....that's probably the only change i'd like to see from the art.

m0dus

Banned
monchi-kun said:
i just noticed the "neogaf seal of approval" still has names of people who are not on the album....that's probably the only change i'd like to see from the art.

I'm changing it up significantly, actually. I'd say hold on before releasing it for a couple more hours.

m0dus

Banned
Okay. I originally intended doing something like this for the CD insert. But if folks want a more universal cover (and less animu :p )

I wasn't totally settled on how to do the neoGAF logo on the cover, tho.

front:

23mrh50.jpg

back/cd_cover

2vwd7b7.jpg

holy crap that's AWESOME!!! can you make the neogaf logo more pixel-like? you can probably pull off a nice pac-man character as well

i'll upload the updated final package with the new art tonight (if m0dus does any more modifications) so we can release this sucker!

m0dus

Banned
so, who is gonna make the game 5 thread? c'mon! :)

I think we should go back to the roots---game inspired music, purely electronic. and do collaborations this time. paired up groups of 2.

btkadams

m0dus said:
so, who is gonna make the game 5 thread? c'mon! :)

I think we should go back to the roots---game inspired music, purely electronic. and do collaborations this time. paired up groups of 2.
lol lets get this one out first!

pirahna1

I'm all for collabs, but what constitutes 'game-inspired"? I guess that's vague enough to be just about anything, eh? e.g. Look to games for inspiration?

I've been staring at my old-school NES Advantage arcade stick for the last few days, I love the packaging Ninty used in the day - retro-futuristic. Kind of gives me a few ideas...

Collabs - should we draw names randomly, or choose our partners ourselves?

btkadams

dibs on garcia.

(no offense to others, i talk to garcia regularly)

unless of course... he decides that he wishes not to D:

The idea of a collab isn't bad, but I'll be honest here. Last time I did a collab with other people, it was hell! We all had different programs, different VSTs etc. It didn't end too well. :p

btkadams

SDZeta said:
The idea of a collab isn't bad, but I'll be honest here. Last time I did a collab with other people, it was hell! We all had different programs, different VSTs etc. It didn't end too well. :p
you see thats why i dibsed garcia. the man knows every program.

but i agree. collab seems a little tough. itll take leagues longer.

FightyF

Banned
btkadams said:
lol lets get this one out first!

And I suppose...3.1 :p Sorry, I have no excuse for this, I've been playing tons of games recently to be honest.

I like the first artwork better, but I'm fine either way.

As far as collab goes, how about say...working on a song together in a simple free program (maybe a MIDI program that uses a basic wavetable), just to get the basic melodies, chords, rhythms and tempo down...and then those people who made that collab song then take it and interpret it their own way in their own programs. So the end result are two songs based on the same original song. They may sound very different in the end.

It may take a lot of work though. I know there are some programs where you can make music online...I think some even support collaboration.

Heck, if those online programs sound good enough, then you could just release that song.

pirahna1

I don't see why a collab would be so hard honestly. Just dump each track into it's own wav file and send that pack of files to each other. As long as you keep the same tempo you're golden, just load up your partner's wav files into your DAW, and send him your wav files when you have your parts down.

e.g. If I do the drum/bass tracks and my partner does the melody I would send off a wav of drums and the bass wav file. He works on the melody/etc and we just send those files back and forth until we get a finished song. No need to have the same programs / vsts / even pc/mac wouldn't be a problem. And you can easily make changes as you go along since all you have is simple audio files. At least, that's how I would do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom