• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G.A.M.E. 4.0 - Chiptunes/Retro SEXPLOSION!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
How near is this to its final release? I wanna listen but not til its all done. All proper-like.

Edit: Nm, I'll just download the latest link. I'm too impatient.

pirahna1

davidthemute said:
How near is this to its final release? I wanna listen but not til its all done. All proper-like.

Edit: Nm, I'll just download the latest link. I'm too impatient.

I think these are the final versions of the songs, but not the final package. Some songs are missing file info and of course, no artwork in this package. EG. Don't spread this version around as it's not 'complete'. But do give it a listen :D

yep, depending on how everyone reacts to the way i've leveled their tracks could mean some changes but we're cutting it off at the end of the week. definitive version of songs will be released then

Broseybrose

I defintely, without a doubt, prefer the newer version you uploaded. 10-fold. Way more dynamic. No across the board EQ.

Broseybrose said:
I defintely, without a doubt, prefer the newer version you uploaded. 10-fold. Way more dynamic. No across the board EQ.

ok, that's one song finalized...anyone else wanna sign off on their tracks so we can get this sucker released?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
i think the mid bass in the back is too loud... it's drowning out the instruments that are meant to be in the front of that.

especially noticable in the last 16 seconds of the song.

DopeyFish said:
i think the mid bass in the back is too loud... it's drowning out the instruments that are meant to be in the front of that.

especially noticable in the last 16 seconds of the song.

want me to EQ out the frequency just a bit?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
monchi-kun said:
want me to EQ out the frequency just a bit?

yeah just lower it down just a tad

it only happened because i dance a thin line with so many notes in such a short range of frequency, so my bass is just a tad away from my melodic notes

particularly near the 500hz range

Fabiollo

Tough choice. I like the EQ version (it was a little too bright, though), but I also like the no master EQ version. I'll have to think about it a little, suggestions will be appreciated. I kinda suck at EQing. :D

I think i like the EQ'd version of my track better, but i'm missing the lower frequencies....
The kick is a little on the soft side and i'm missing a Lead Bass around the 240Hz...

In other words, BASS! :D

Can you fix this for me Monchi?

yep, the EQ'd versions dropped the bass frequencies just a bit to accent the highs. i grabbed some raw chiptunes and had my EQ create a curve from it.

Let me do another pass at matched EQ using a different source, something that's got a good bass/mid/high range. i'll post the files after LOST tonight. (only for those who liked the matched EQ versions of their tracks)

lil smoke

Banned
I'm going to take a good focused critical listen probably tommorrow night, since I don't work friday, and I'll have the time.

Garcia

Monchi, I just listened to them all, I like the new sound of all the tracks.

As for mine, I have no complaints about "Descending", it sounds good to me ;).

But I still hear low levels for Last Boss and Wily's , do you think you could raise the volume for them a little bit so they match the overall volume of the compilation?

btkadams

damn monchi im not sure. i can obviously tell the difference between my non eq and eq tracks but they each sound good either way... somebody wanna help me out? im using my seinnheiser in ear's so maybe i cant tell that well? i do like my stuff bassy though so maybe the non eq ones for me.

lil smoke

Banned
btkadams said:
damn monchi im not sure. i can obviously tell the difference between my non eq and eq tracks but they each sound good either way... somebody wanna help me out? im using my seinnheiser in ear's so maybe i cant tell that well? i do like my stuff bassy though so maybe the non eq ones for me.
I quickly toggled thru all the (non eq) tracks in Cubase. Yours sounded good. Very well balanced. The vocal issues that I commented on a month ago, were obviously due to Soundcloud conversion, because I don't hear the nasty artifacts anymore.

I still thought that overall RMS (percieved loudness) was inconsistent throughout all songs, but after awhile I didn't care. Just used the volume knob ;)

lil smoke

Banned
Didn't realize how long it would take to listen to all the tracks in one sitting! It really is a great comp though, guys. I took notes:

Amagone: Probably has the most thumping bass of all the tracks. Beat definitely locks you in. I find that this track sounds best at a very high volume!

Chips Ahoy!: One of my favorite tracks. Feels like Spy Hunter. I like the drum pattern and that melody coming in at 00:45 and the break at 1:55. You had a good beat and you stuck with it.

Descending into the Dungeon: Garcia, you're really good. Always a nice atmosphere, very imaginative. Very "dungeon". Dynamics are perfect. Damn man.

ERRORboy in Retro-Land: Great textures. Nice buildup. It sounds like the track is in a nice pocket, especially when the beat comes in... but i can't hear it! Where is the bass? I'm really missing the warmth that I think this track needs.

Forvictory: The feels classic. Makes me feel like a kid. DopeyFish, I remember your other track from GAME 1 and the stuff on Soundcloud. You have a nice touch dude.

Ghosthouse84: This is by far my favorite track. You're just hitting all the right buttons for me. Tad bit grainy, but I grew to like that too. Your tracks are consistently good from all the comps.

Happy Chipcore: yeah. This is one of those where you have to rewind the intro and stand up! Nice tempo stuff going on. Very nice transitioning into the different sections. You never lose attention on this. Personally though, I wish you would pump this track up. More bass, more punch me in the face. I EQd this while listening, just messing around and liked approx. +7 db @ 90hz, +5 @ 450hz, -5 @ 1600hz, +7 @ 5300hz.

Highs Lows: This is actually a funny song. Great tune, great feel. Works perfect with the chiptune sounds.

Modulations: Nice sounds, atmosphere. This song is well mixed. Lots of space for each element. Bass drum is soft but powerful enough to anchor the track and allow for all those sweet effects to bounce around. Very relaxing track.

OHVRWHRLD: Feels classic. This is true chiptunes right here! I can actually imagine you jamming the melody down! That delay was programmed to perfection by the way.

OK Now You Go: You seem like a very cheerful guy! This sounds Pro. Just seems complete. Again, it works well with the chiptune sounds.

Regaining Ground: Reminiscent of one of those all night Ikari Warriors sessions! I love it! You nailed that military sound. Nitpicking here, but maybe 2-3 db less on the lead synth?

Rudolf's Bad Fur Day: I honestly woke up with this track in my head. Very catchy bassline. There is something funny about this track. I feel like there's a bunch of clowns getting ready to beat me down or something. This song has a sense of humor, so to speak.

The SID is vicious: This track is a nice change of pace in the comp. I don't think I've ever heard this type of combination of instruments/styles. So nice I had to play it twice!

Space Flight: Definitely an "in the zone" kinda beat. Nice stereo field, good balance, movement. Only complaint is "more". Would have been nice to get a diversion in the middle somewhere.

The one game you never finished way back when: Love the old school beat behind this track..... but! I seriously think this track can be 200% better if you tighten it up. I would punch the bass more and lock it in with the drums. Everything up top is too wet and mushy, it needs something strong to contrast it. Less tails, faster attack on your synths would really help. Oh, at 1:50 that synth that came in was amazing. Very 80s sounding. I think this track deserves some treatment.

Through Factories and Needles: Does what it says on the tin really! Through factories and needles is pretty much what this track feels like. I can't put my finger on what game this feels like. Rygar? Would have been nice to have a percussion solo somewhere in the middle with all those big drum sounds.

Through Stars and Bubbles: Love this pace. Really smooth. This is nice to listen to after smoking some bud (which I had done before listening ;) Needs more bass... not more, but lower, chest rumbling bass would be good.

To the Last Boss: Dramatic man. You obviously know how to set a scene and create anticipation. Nice ambience again. Well done.

UHNDRWHRLD: Nice buildup. Everything builds all the way through to the end. Well thought out, well sequenced and nice way to take just a few sounds and make a track out of it. I also like how you're avoiding quantizing your notes. It makes a huge difference.

Wily's Revenge: What more can be said? You are on another level. Have you tried doing stuff like automation on the reverb? Like for darker moments, maybe more or less reflection, or play with the diffusion, panning at certain moments of the song.

Whew! Well there goes my morning. Great work people.

yeah i noticed the Bass thing and informed Monchi about it.
Hopefully he can adjust this before the album is finalized.
The original recording had everything shaking here and Bass is my middle name so i don't realy know what went wrong, only Monchi does i guess.
I could Upload this version into Wavelab here and do it myself, but it's Monchi's baby and i think he knows his stuff judging from what i've heard sofar.
I trust this guy and i'm sure he can adjust this little problem.
Might have to do with the 96Khz thing though....

Friend of mine always ends up with a lower bass level than he records in His ProTools set.
"Cause unknown", other than the fact he does all his work in 96Khz in a complete digital enviroment. Sounds perfect in his studio, crap on a stereo system.
Had 5 different Audio Cards to try and solve the issue but always the same problem.
(This is one of the few times i actualy work in 96khz because i wanted the sounds i recorded to be as fresh as possible.)

I've got a nice setup here, but i'd trade with him in a minute!

lil smoke

Banned
Albino_Samurai said:
yeah i noticed the Bass thing and informed Monchi about it.
Hopefully he can adjust this before the album is finalized.
The original recording had everything shaking here and Bass is my middle name so i don't realy know what went wrong, only Monchi does i guess.
I could Upload this version into Wavelab here and do it myself, but it's Monchi's baby and i think he knows his stuff judging from what i've heard sofar.
I trust this guy and i'm sure he can adjust this little problem.
Might have to do with the 96Khz thing though....

Friend of mine always ends up with a lower bass level than he records in His ProTools set.
"Cause unknown", other than the fact he does all his work in 96Khz in a complete digital enviroment. Sounds perfect in his studio, crap on a stereo system.
Had 5 different Audio Cards to try and solve the issue but always the same problem.

I've got a nice setup here, but i'd trade with him in a minute!
Maybe it's his room. Most of us have the same problem. Standing waves in a smallish room, means we get additional bass energy in the room, so we underestimate how much bass to use in the mix. Bass traps placed strategically are the answer. http://www.gikacoustics.com/

If not that, then reverse referencing other mixes, and readjusting your bass perception for your environment works over time.

FightyF

Banned
Thanks for the feedback lil smoke! I really needed to hear some feedback in regards to my EQing, so I really, really appreciate it.

I've been listening to this thing for the last 3 or so days now, I've been waking up with different tunes in my head all the time, including "Old Rusty Broken Hardware". :)

EQ adjustments for those who wanted it will post tonight, i still need song info/liner notes for a few more peeps as well as official sign off on tracks (EQ vs non-EQ)

...almost there fellas :)

lil smoke said:
The one game you never finished way back when: Love the old school beat behind this track..... but! I seriously think this track can be 200% better if you tighten it up. I would punch the bass more and lock it in with the drums.

Not quite sure what you mean by lock it in. Specifically have each note hit between snares?

Everything up top is too wet and mushy, it needs something strong to contrast it. Less tails, faster attack on your synths would really help.

Most of the instruments have the attack dialed all the way up. The ES-E is the one that doesn't, trouble is it starts sounding really hokey if you don't give it a bit of a swell before the decay.

As for wet & mushy, that's my greatest weakness in mixing. I'm far too in love with sustain, reverb & delay to ever dial it back properly. I also like songs that have 18 things going on at once, though most people find it too chaotic to listen to.

I'm generally happy with how the tune came together with the exception of one instrument having dropped off the map in the last version, Monchi, is it possible to test out one more bounce with a limit tweak?

lil smoke

Banned
LFK, I guess if the bass stabs were stronger and had a faster attack like the percussion does, it would give you a tighter bottom. I dunno, it could just be a personal thing. Actually after hearing it again, it doesn't bother me as much. It all sounds right now :lol

That 1:40 to 2:10 section is really sweet.

Mark D

lil smoke said:
Ghosthouse84: This is by far my favorite track. You're just hitting all the right buttons for me. Tad bit grainy, but I grew to like that too. Your tracks are consistently good from all the comps.

:O Wow, thanks a lot smoke.

Looking very forward to the final product. :D

btkadams

monchi-kun said:
EQ adjustments for those who wanted it will post tonight, i still need song info/liner notes for a few more peeps as well as official sign off on tracks (EQ vs non-EQ)

...almost there fellas :)
oh shit i forgot about the liners. are they due tonight? ill try and write them now but im in class.

Fabiollo

Thanks for the feedback Smoke. :)

Monchi, I think I already submitted my liner notes, and I officially confirm I prefer the non EQ version of my track. Thanks!

I'm excited guys, I can't wait to see the official thread stickied in gaming. I really love this comp.

Edit: Smoke's damn right, Ghosthouse84 is awesome.

Mark D

Fabiollo said:
Edit: Smoke's damn right, Ghosthouse84 is awesome.

Thanks much to you too. :)

So is there gonna be any kind of official tracklist for this? It's kinda jarring at times when the tracks are just played alphabetically.

pirahna1

Mark D said:
Thanks much to you too. :)

So is there gonna be any kind of official tracklist for this? It's kinda jarring at times when the tracks are just played alphabetically.

Whoever compiles the final zip (LFK?) will also have to insert the cover art and stuff. Track listing should be there when it's released. So this isn't the final release yet.

Broseybrose

Just wany to throw out there that I think we've made an amazing album, without most of us having never met in person. Big up G.A.M.E. GAF!

Cant wait for G.A.M.E. 5.0! Im ready. Lets figure out the theme already!

btkadams

Broseybrose said:
Just wany to throw out there that I think we've made an amazing album, without most of us having never met in person. Big up G.A.M.E. GAF!

Cant wait for G.A.M.E. 5.0! Im ready. Lets figure out the theme already!
people in this comp have met each other in person?

We should decide on track order to balance this comp out across all our different songs. I'll take suggestions on track numbering so post em here and i can try em out on my side and re-render this set with track number info in it.

LFK will have to do the final package with the art, i'll be out from wednesday and won't be able to get back on GAF until feb 15th as i'm celebrating my 10 year wedding anniversary :D

btkadams

garcia seemed to have thought of a good tracklist. maybe he will share it with us when he gets back. he said "brb in 2 secs" at about 4 pm yesterday so it should be any second now :lol

Broseybrose

monchi-kun said:
We should decide on track order to balance this comp out across all our different songs. I'll take suggestions on track numbering so post em here and i can try em out on my side and re-render this set with track number info in it.

LFK will have to do the final package with the art, i'll be out from wednesday and won't be able to get back on GAF until feb 15th as i'm celebrating my 10 year wedding anniversary :D
hey, congrats!

Fabiollo

monchi-kun said:
i'm celebrating my 10 year wedding anniversary :D

Wow, congratulations! Love OT: I'm the happiest man on earth! Tonight the girl I liked kissed me, I thought I had no chance at all with her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's been a crazy night!

Back IT: I think discussing the tracklist would be a mess. Maybe it's best if someone (like Garcia) posted a tracklist, and we made adjustments to that.

btkadams

Fabiollo said:
Wow, congratulations! Love OT: I'm the happiest man on earth! Tonight the girl I liked kissed me, I thought I had no chance at all with her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's been a crazy night!

Back IT: I think discussing the tracklist would be a mess. Maybe it's best if someone (like Garcia) posted a tracklist, and we made adjustments to that.
congrats monchi, and congrats to you too fabiollo.

haha i love how we've just nominated garcia to do the tracklist. i'm sure he'll love that. :D

Garcia

Hey guys ! =) :lol I'm working on that one, it's based on chromatic key progressions. The whole thing will feel like slowly walking up a stair to finally reach the last song (Happy Chipcore). Since we covered a vast ammount of keys in this album (15 keys total) I think a progression will make it feel very organic. I'm adjusting the tracks right now. I'll post it as soon as I'm done with it ;).

Edit: Omg, congratulations Monchi ! Happy 10th anniversary man !! :)

Edit2: And congrats Fabiollo ! Good news today everywhere.

Fabiollo

Garcia said:
Hey guys ! =) :lol I'm working on that one, it's based on chromatic key progressions. The whole thing will feel like slowly climbing a stair to finally reach the last song (Happy Chipcore). Since we covered a vast ammount of keys in this album (15 keys total) I think a progression will make it feel very organic. I'm adjusting the tracks right now. I'll post it as soon as I'm done with it ;).

Sounds good. 15 keys? Cool. And yay to happy chipcore as the last song.

btkadams

Garcia said:
Hey guys ! =) :lol I'm working on that one, it's based on chromatic key progressions. The whole thing will feel like slowly climbing a stair to finally reach the last song (Happy Chipcore). Since we covered a vast ammount of keys in this album (15 keys total) I think a progression will make it feel very organic. I'm adjusting the tracks right now. I'll post it as soon as I'm done with it ;).
bahaha i knew it!

hey everybody... i'm sorry to interrupt everything, but i have a question and figure most people in this thread could help me out (so that way i won't have to make a new thread)

... so i'm a complete virgin at this sort of thing in general, and i'm trying to transfer my DS-10 stuff to my PC. so i download audacity, made sure the volumes were set to where it wouldn't clip. and yet it's all a muddy mess. is this the best that i can hope for? or could i record each synth line separately and just align the different tracks? maybe it'll sound closer to how it does on my DS-10?

sorry i know it's a really noob question but i heard other people's DS-10 stuff recorded via audacity and it sounds fine

Garcia

And here it is guys :)

First suggested playlist for the tracks. Check it out and see if you like how it progressively evolves and goes through several mood transitions to keep things interesting.

01 - OHVRWHRLD
02 - Ghosthouse84
03 - Sharcz
04 - Forvictory
05 - Rudolf's Bad Fur Day
06 - Chips Ahoy!
07 - To the Last Boss!
08 - Through Stars and Bubbles
09 - Highs & Lows
10 - Modulations
11 - ERRORboy in Retro-Land
12 - Wily's Revenge
13 - Space Fight
14 - Old Rusty Broken Hardware
15 - OK Now you Go
16 - That one game you never finished
17 - UHNDRWHRLD
18 - Regaining Ground
19 - Through Factories and Needles
20 - Amagone
21 - The SID is Vicious
22 - Descending into the Dungeon
23 - Happy Chipcore

I thought OHVRWHRLD was very fitting as the opening song since it sounds purely chiptuney, it has a strong NES-game vibe going on and also the base of it is the melody rather than an specific atmosphere. I really liked it.

As for Happy Chipcore, it's perfect as a closing theme. It builds up from the very beginning, the chosen chord progression is very conclusive and works perfect as a loop, also, the slight beat variations keep it interesting from beginning to end.

And also, if you let Happy Chicore loop back to OHVRWHRLD it feels as if you just started a "New Game" =) .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom