• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G.A.M.E. 4.0 - Chiptunes/Retro SEXPLOSION!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

btkadams

pirahna1 said:
I don't see why a collab would be so hard honestly. Just dump each track into it's own wav file and send that pack of files to each other. As long as you keep the same tempo you're golden, just load up your partner's wav files into your DAW, and send him your wav files when you have your parts down.

e.g. If I do the drum/bass tracks and my partner does the melody I would send off a wav of drums and the bass wav file. He works on the melody/etc and we just send those files back and forth until we get a finished song. No need to have the same programs / vsts / even pc/mac wouldn't be a problem. And you can easily make changes as you go along since all you have is simple audio files. At least, that's how I would do it.
uploading new versions of each track every day would be a little tedious though. im constantly making changes to songs.

btkadams said:
uploading new versions of each track every day would be a little tedious though. im constantly making changes to songs.

you will LOVE Ableton Live 8 when you finally upgrade to it since it addresses the problem you highlighted above

btkadams

monchi-kun said:
version 8 is out?
im not using version 8. i still don't know why you quoted me saying how i dont want to upload uncompressed wav files everyday and answered with ableton live 8 lol.

Live 8 won't require you to send massive files, check out the collaboration feature on Ableton's site. The next version makes working collaboratively amazingly easy but the real awesome part is that who ever you collaborate with doesn't have to own ableton live since sharing content with them gives them a 30 day timed access to a full version of the program

btkadams

monchi-kun said:
Live 8 won't require you to send massive files, check out the collaboration feature on Ableton's site. The next version makes working collaboratively amazingly easy but the real awesome part is that who ever you collaborate with doesn't have to own ableton live since sharing content with them gives them a 30 day timed access to a full version of the program
oh!! ok. thats sick! lol i honestly thought you were crazy for a second.

m0dus said:
So, when's the official release thread going up?

The thread is written up, the package is uploaded, I'm just waiting to hear back from some of the other people who said they'd be able to host it. As soon as I think we've got enough collective bandwidth that it won't be a cluster you-know-what, we launch.

If anybody can volunteer space, it would be appreciated. I've got it up on zshare and my personal premium rapidshare so far - not sure if I want to nuke my iDisk too though. I've PMed Evilore about hosting as well.

SDZeta said:
There's also m0dus' website right?

I don't like to presume on people's bandwidth, 3.0 had something in the neighbourhood of 10 ,000 downloads across various sources, I think. I want to get a torrent together as well to reduce server load, though I've never actually done that before.

m0dus

Banned
LiveFromKyoto said:
I don't like to presume on people's bandwidth, 3.0 had something in the neighbourhood of 10 ,000 downloads across various sources, I think. I want to get a torrent together as well to reduce server load, though I've never actually done that before.

For the record I WILL be hosting direct downloads as well, we'll see how my bandwidth handles it.

also, LFK, if you could give me a little blurb similar to what I penned for the previous releases that will go on this page: http://modusproductions.com/neogaf/game/site/page1.htm
that would be a substantial help :p

Bandwidth should be fine with a couple hosts. Realistically speaking I'm pretty sure it won't come close to the numbers 3.0 pulled, simply because that was associated with a brand new game that enabled custom soundtracks. That made a lot of people outside of NeoGAF (all over the net really!) notice it and download it. But we'll see, hopefully I'm wrong. :p

This album's really awesome btw, I have to say it again. Been looping it for a while!

m0dus said:
For the record I WILL be hosting direct downloads as well, we'll see how my bandwidth handles it.

Thanks, much appreciated.

also, LFK, if you could give me a little blurb similar to what I penned for the previous releases that will go on this page: http://modusproductions.com/neogaf/game/site/page1.htm
that would be a substantial help :p

Sure, how about something like:

G.A.M.E. Volume IV - Chiptune/Retrogaming Edition

The G.A.M.E. collective's fourth project is an exploration of the sound and feel of classic technology. Compositions evocative of a wide range of platforms and genres from the 16-bit era and earlier cross an emotional spectrum tied together by the shared inspiration of chip-influenced waveforms.

Too wordy? Too advertisey?

Anyway, still waiting to hear back from EviLore. Let you guys know as soon as we're go.

luffeN

i am here! send me the fiiiiiiiile for hosting! LFK, do you know if there is a limit i can set for TrafficShare? going to look into it

Dartastic

I learned today a little bit about the joy of linking Reason and Ableton. I also learned some more Reason tricks, such as the Combinator. WOW. =D

ReWire is amazing as long as you have a decent system. Being able to use AU/VSTs on my Reason patches through Logic or ableton is a lifesaver

Dartastic

I've got last gen's MBP. I can run it. I still have so much to learn! I just wish I knew some of the things I know now when I made my song for 4.0... Oh well! I'm getting better!

Garcia

btkadams said:
this is true. actually, this is 100% confirmed fact.

I'd say that would be a 200% confirmed fact. With the awesome artwork M0dus already posted I can't help but expect that sticky to show up anytime soon. :)

Guys, does anybody have EviLore's address? I think he lives in the GTA, I might just go and knock on his door. (Still haven't heard from him. I'll start bugging Blackace when he's on).

monchi-kun said:
While we're waiting, who wants to start the GAME 5 thread of audio goodness?

i want to do some experimental shit! :D

This project is stumbling across the finish line (sorry guys, I swear I had no idea EviLore wouldn't come to GAF for like a week straight, I thought this would be up on Tuesday), but it started out really well and one of the reasons was focus from the start. I think it's best to decide here what we're doing, then push that when we launch a new thread.

So, let's get ideas together and put it to a general vote - suggestions so far:

"Live" album
Collaborations (this could be used with any theme, but we'd need to come up with two tracks per pairing to keep the general number of songs where it was - we'd also need to set and agree to hard schedules to keep things fair for everyone)
Experimental/Ambient
Pure Electronic Game-Inspired Music
Dance/Club (hasn't been suggested yet but comes up every time)

Anything I missed? Any new ideas?

monchi-kun said:
I see Dance as the most challenging thing for me....maybe GAME 5 is about all of us tackling what we're most afraid of :)

Dance music is a cinch, really. Like anything else making truly great dance music is a challenge, but the basic structure's a piece of cake because it needs to be repetitive by nature.

well, for someone like me who doesn't even dance :lol , making that kind of music is going to be a challenge even at entry level.

I'm all up for some Dance album. Get some people moving to our sound, how awesome would that be?! Plus it's a popular genre. :)

pirahna1

monchi-kun said:
well, for someone like me who doesn't even dance :lol , making that kind of music is going to be a challenge even at entry level.

4 on the floor, rolling hats, octave bass. INSTA-HOUSE! :lol

FightyF

Banned
I had an idea for the next GAME project, that came up while I was playing Portal.

In many classic techno (and other electronic music) tracks there would be movie quotes you'd find in them. Some poignant, some menacing, some inspiring... they were there to help set the mood.

In my limited knowledge samples from movies (typically in the form of quotes) and electronic music go way back.

So why not do the same, but do it with videogame quotes? As I mentioned, Portal has some good stuff. The MGS series, is a goldmine. Stuff from GTA to Halo to jRPGs to whatever...there is a lot of material and quotable stuff.

I was thinking that the biggest benefit of this one is that a contributor can choose ANY genre they'd like. All they'd have to do is incorporate the sample from the game.

I'm such a believer in this idea that I think even if we don't do it now, we should do it down the road because like the last few it ties videogames and music together.

Another idea that is a twist on "Dance" is basically a "Summer tunage" sort of theme where we get it out by the summer and we all try to make a song the defines Summer 2009. In the Top 40 there's always a big track that people remember as being the big hit during the summer, and typically it's a dance/pop/hip-hop track that does it.

While googling for some lists I found a Time article and a choice quote that reflects well what I'm trying to say here:

Summer is high season for pop. It's when record companies deliver their catchiest tunes and people obligingly get together and break up as if they're in a high-speed movie montage...Most of these songs are about people kissing, crying or partying. They're not high art. But then they're not supposed to be. They're just hits, very palpable hits.

So "Summer tunes" would give us some flexibility in terms of genres, and in the end it's something GAFers could just pop in their car while out on a drive during a sunny day.

pirahna1

I'm not too hot on the sample idea, mostly because we wouldn't be able to release these songs without some problems down the road. I stay far away from any sample that I don't create myself as once you do that, the track is no longer yours - but at the mercy of the copyright holder.

Plus, I always found songs that used samples like that as incredibly cheesy. They were never good songs to begin with, and always sounded like they used such a sample as a crutch. Unless they are marvelously well done, or the sample is from a foreign source. Boards of Canada is the only band I know of that has done this well.

btkadams

k seriously we need to get this thing out.

and did anybody else know that you can have rewire doing its thing with garageband into ableton live? i didn't know that or set anything up but i opened up ableton and was going to mess around with a set and when i pressed play it played my gb song at the ableton tempo and shit. it was rad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom