• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G. Kamitani replies to J. Schreier's Kotaku article on Dragon's Crown (slightly NSFW)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sexy bodies? With breasts that large, she shouldn't even be able to move. I'm amazed that people on GAF are defending this clown when he blatantly insinuated that Schreier is homosexual based on the fact that he doesn't like the unnecessary sexualization of virtual women. Think of it this way: how does the sorceress character benefit from looking the way she does? Had her breasts been significantly smaller in size, would the game be any different? Of course not, she was deliberately designed this way for a reason, and that was to pander to easily aroused 14 year-old boys. I don't blame Schreier for being frustrated, and Kamitani's juvenile response doesn't make the situation any better.

Or maybe....JUST maybe...He just felt like it?

Or maybe it was for fanservice....I just hate the idea that if you like this style...you are basically a 14 year old boy.

I am a goddam 24 year old man. It's insulting as fuck to be constantly called a child.

That is the most childish part of this whole thing.

When I was in school, you were a "kid" if you liked Pokemon and shit. That sucked.

But as I grew up I realized that liking what I like was pretty goddam adult like.

What the fuck is this? Grade School all over.

Getting in a big tissy over what someone else likes and calling them a child for it...is far more childish.

LiK

Or maybe it was for fanservice....I just hate the idea that if you like this style...you are basically a 14 year old boy.

I am a goddam 24 year old man. It's insulting as fuck to be constantly called a child.

When I was in school, you were a "kid" if you liked Pokemon and shit. That sucked.

But as I grew up I realized that liking what I like was pretty goddam adult like.

Getting in a big tissy over what someone else likes and calling them a child for it...is far more childish.
its okay if you like Pokemon as an adult here. But sexy video game girls are immature. Cute > sexy

Dead Man

If sex wasn't so taboo, it would be my #1 hobby (it is secretly) and I would talk about it all the time. But society has made it appear shameful, especially for women - when it shouldn't! Sex is what literally makes humans and it feels good. Nothing wrong with that at all.

This is all true. However I think there are some legitimate concerns that sexualisaton of women should be driven more by women choosing to be sexual rather than men saying so.

I just wish people would just stop saying "this is juvenile or repulsive"

You don't like it.

That's it.

By added those modifier, you perhaps unintentionally give off the air of a arrogant prick who constantly has to be "better" than others.

That's why these topics suck because the "offended" side has an aura of "im above you because I take offense or don't like this".

I'm sure that's not what you are saying but man it's how you all come off as.

It's okay to not like something. and it's okay to have your reasons. I hate the athestics for more modern games...too much brown and although I hate the word Dudebro..I hate that style too.

The difference is that I am not looking down on those that do. I'm not inadvertantly calling them losers or sexist or repulsive.

By calling something repulsive or juvenile..you are insulting those that like it.

I don't get that Pony shit but hey let them enjoy themselves.

I just really hate the air of superiority these threads tend to take on.

both sides..calling someone a prude for not liking it..is just as bad guys.

Nice post.

BHK3

Banned
I think all the character design looks like junk. The one dwarfs arms are bigger then the puny weapons his handling for gods sake...

That wasn't much of an article as it was just a quick comment on the art design. The same kind of comment that several made in the Dragon's Crown thread here. G. Kamitani's response to it also seemed like the kind of response a teenage boy might make (oh you don't like tits, well here's some burly men for you).

Don't care though, hope the game is good.

I wouldn't expect him to waste his time making a big statement questioning the integrity of some journalist, when what Schreier said seemed a bit like a cheap joke anyway. With that image he seems to have been referring to how no one complains about the equally hyperbolic style of the male characters.

Persona86

Banned
Kino nishimura would like a word with you

cSha2bf

this was drawn by a woman

More of her art.
original.jpg

tumblr_m5sk3w4rza1qd4u7oo1_500.jpg

tumblr_m6k635Yv7i1qd4u7oo1_500.jpg

tumblr_mghz5j65je1rzik5eo1_1280.jpg

jaosobno

So in a nutshell: if you like large breasts you hate women.

Thanks for educating me Kotaku, I will never like large breasts again!

1291131680_two-thumbs-up.jpg

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Or he's saying he draws all humans in an exaggerated way.? Hmmm

It was a more creative comeback certainly than "ah douche bags" and "do you eat shit?". Kamiya will have to step his game up, or whoever the next high profile Japanese developer some bored Kotaku blogger wants to rile up next.

Where in my post did I accuse you of being childish? Calm the fuck down. You're creating the barriers in your own mind. For example, just because My Little Pony is targeted towards young girls doesn't mean grown men can't like it, in the same way that you can enjoy a game that is being targeted towards 14 year old-boys.

LiK

It was a more creative comeback certainly than "ah douche bags" and "do you eat shit?". Kamiya will have to step his game up, or whoever the next high profile Japanese developer some bored Kotaku blogger wants to rile up next.

That's what I got from it. Jason insulted his art in the first place. Whether people agree with Kamitani's response is purely subjective.

onilink88

Completely off-topic, but would the person in your avatar be- what was her name... Rei(?) from the Space Battleship Yamato remake?

Metrotab

Banned
I mean letting women have some say in how they are depicted :/ Come on.

I don't see how that has anything to do with this game. If Kamitani (or whoever in charge of character design) was a woman, this whole thing wouldn't be considered a problem?

Or were you talking about media in general?

That's what I got from it. Jason insulted his art in the first place. Whether people agree with Kamitani's response is purely subjective.

His response was "I see that you don't like hot sexy barely clothed women, YOU MUST BE A FAG".

It's pretty gross if you agree with that.

And? Of course it does. Does that mean Schreier is thereby not allowed to criticize it simply because it sells? That being said, an argument over consequentialism will go nowhere.

I think calling his comment 'criticism' is being rather generous. It was a pointless, niggly swipe, and Kamitani replied in kind.

I don't think there's anything more to it than that. People have bad days and are sometimes easily-irritable. Neither party comes out of it looking good, but I think people trying to attach sexist and homophobic connotations to this are just fanning the flames for no real reason.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Sexy bodies? With breasts that large, she shouldn't even be able to move. I'm amazed that people on GAF are defending this clown when he blatantly insinuated that Schreier is homosexual based on the fact that he doesn't like the unnecessary sexualization of virtual women. Think of it this way: how does the sorceress character benefit from looking the way she does? Had her breasts been significantly smaller in size, would the game be any different? Of course not, she was deliberately designed this way for a reason, and that was to pander to easily aroused 14 year-old boys. I don't blame Schreier for being frustrated, and Kamitani's juvenile response doesn't make the situation any better.

Wouldn't be able to move? Really? Come on son.

Let me ask you the reverse question: Would this character be the same if she had no boobs? (like the elf?) The answer is no. Her sex appeal is one of her weapons, which may or may not have any gameplay applications (who knows, it might?) But in order to make her the character she is, she is sexy from top to bottom--and yeah that includes her breasts. If you don't think it's right for women to be sexy in a game (or THAT sexy woah), then you might have a problem with women.

For the question of "Yes, but that big!?" -- Everything in this game is exaggerated. Does the knight have to be 800 feet tall? Does the dwarf have to be built like a mac truck and have a beard that could stop bullets? The answer to those questions is obviously no, but these exaggerations flesh out these characters and is something adults like to call style.

And there's a difference between this, which clearly puts women in roles of empowerment (call them tropes, archetypes or whatever), and a game where you follow a doe-eyed 64DD-breasted girl in a miniskirt around taking pictures of them (See: PhotoKano) Complain about that shit, I'll have your back.

This is simply a bunch of internet guys jumping on something that isn't there.

SmokyDave

Where in my post did I accuse you of being childish? Calm the fuck down. You're creating the barriers in your own mind. For example, just because My Little Pony is targeted towards young girls doesn't mean grown men can't like it, in the same way that you can enjoy a game that is being targeted towards 14 year old-boys.

Why do you think the game is targeted at 14 year old boys?

Persona86

Banned

IMO 14 year olds are more likely to play COD instead.

There's no reason to complain for 90% of shit that people complain about then. And you are ignoring that people might feel that there is a greater good rather than just personal taste motivating their complaints.

Similarly, if you have options on what posts to read, don't complain about the ones you don't like (not snarky, just a joke) :)
90% of GAF is people complaining about shit that doesn't need to be complained about. You're entirely correct. Walk into any thread here and you'll probably see an argument that doesn't matter or a stupid debate that has no answer because the subject being discussed is entirely based on preference.

And if you're referring to the sexism point when you say people have other motivations of talking negatively about DC then I think its been covered pretty well how the game isn't sexist. Both genders are treated equally in the game and anyone finding sexism in this game is actively blinding themselves so the game reflects their agenda.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
His response was "I see that you don't like hot sexy barely clothed women, YOU MUST BE A FAG".

Wow, do you have a P.h.D in paraphrasing because my word you are a real expert at it. You've taken the reality of what happened, and totally presented a one sided insanely over exaggerated version of it! You're a god damn motherfucking genius!

jay

Schreier has come a long way since "it's not a journalists job to confirm facts before posting them." I almost like the guy.

Maxim726X

I have no interest in the 'sexism in games' debate that has taken a hold of this thread... But the female character art is fucking ridiculous. Like it or hate it, it's hard to argue that point.

The artwork is stunningly beautiful, but the female characters look ridiculous. I guess I'm in the minority, but I would have been happy with large breasts as opposed to impossibly gargantuan breasts that defy physics. Just makes them looks silly. Maybe that's the point, but when so much work goes into crafting such a beautiful game...

Let me ask you the reverse question: Would this character be the same if she had no boobs? (like the elf?) The answer is no. Her sex appeal is one of her weapons, which may or may not have any gameplay applications (who knows, it might?) But in order to make her the character she is, she is sexy from top to bottom--and yeah that includes her breasts. If you don't think it's right for women to be sexy in a game (or THAT sexy woah), then you might have a problem with women.

For the question of "Yes, but that big!?" -- Everything in this game is exaggerated. Does the knight have to be 800 feet tall? Does the dwarf have to be built like a mac truck and have a beard that could stop bullets? The answer to those questions is obviously no, but these exaggerations flesh out these characters and is something adults like to call style.

And there's a difference between this, which clearly puts women in roles of empowerment (call them tropes, archetypes or whatever), and a game where you follow a doe-eyed 64DD-breasted girl in a miniskirt around taking pictures of them (See: PhotoKano) Complain about that shit, I'll have your back.

Well said.

I'm skipping out on DC specifically because of its embarrassingly bad artstyle. Same problem with Etrian Odyssey. Great games that you'd be embarrassed for other people to see you playing.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
As a real live gay man, I am bemused at how worked up some people are getting over the supposed "sexuality" insult in the retort image.

Frankly, such a response was warranted by the shrill, childish tone of the article. It sounds like something a forum warrior on Gamefaqs would write. Or, honestly, what a lot of people on GAF write all the time when something they don't like crosses their field of vision.

More of her art.

off topic: is the code of princess one actually done by nishimura? it doesnt have that washed out coloring look to the her other works and it stands out as the odd duck in that little group of pictures. With saying that i love her art the fire emblem one being the stand out of that group :p

Risible

C'mon, his response was obviously saying "Ha you're gay!" What the hell else could be the take-away from that response?! Pretty fucking childish.

That wasnt his response, thats your interpretation of his rather poorly worded ambiguous response

I'll give you that it was poorly worded. But there's nothing ambiguous about it.

What do you think those three guys are doing in that picture? Because it looks a lot like foreplay.

"This is for 14 year old boys" can be read as "you have the metality of a 14 year old boy".

That's just me. I have been through that shit far too often in my life...so excuse me if I read it differently than you intended.

Completely off-topic, but would the person in your avatar be- what was her name... Rei(?) from the Space Battleship Yamato remake?

yes.

This. Others in this thread are a lot better at this than I.

That's a reach. I think it's mostly that he can , has, and will sexualize everything. No one or thing is safe.

Takuya

Banned
I'm skipping out on DC specifically because of its embarrassingly bad artstyle. Same problem with Etrian Odyssey. Great games that you'd be embarrassed for other people to see you playing.

I wouldn't be embarrassed to play this in public. Not even as much as playing Pokemon or a 'kids game' in public as well.

Skilletor

It's funny to me that there is FAR more discussion about cup size than gameplay for this game.

You'd be embarasssed, maybe. I gives a fuck what other people think of the things I enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom