• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G.rev's Kokuga (3DS) official for NA/EU, eShop-bound June/July

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I can't find it on the eShop. Hmm.

Same, maybe somone goofed at G.rev?

EDIT: I'm scanning the QR code from the Nintendo site and it tells me the software isn't currently available.
EDIT 2: Looks like Canada isn't in North America anymore. *shakes fist*

BOTEC

Weird. I downloaded it a few hours ago. Can't play it though, at work, and there are people... watching me.

so its really difficult, has gots good, really shump-ie kind of music, and plays well.

Its powerup system is interesting, as you get a set number of perks per stage and they're available any time, but they're only available in a random order, if you desperately need health refill, but you're stuck with rapid fire and homing shots, you might be out luck.

the said perks are availalbe via the touchscreen, and only can be activated during live game play, so there's a risk/reward sort of to going for them at heated times. Each of the 13 stages has a boss and multiple difficulties that significantly alters the the enemy layout and abilities.

Its a good game.

gunstarhero

Played 4 stages (A, B, C and Final 2).

Gameplay, music and graphics are all top notch.

Game controls a little on the slow side - but in a good way. You're a tank, and it has the right pacing as such. You can't go rushing into an area... you have to plan your attack and execute. Patience seems to be the key here, and knowing what weapons you have at your disposal.

Music is amazingly good - a retail release with the soundtrack would have been great. Awesome 90s era shooter music - in the same vein as Thunderforce, Whip Rush, etc.

Graphics have a cool "simulator" vibe to them, and the animations are all smooth. Nothing crazy here - just a nice design aestetic overall.

"B" Boss is kicking my ass and I can't beat him as of yet. A and C were no problem, and I almost beat the boss of Final 2.

I'm a little confused how the level map works. At first, all the tiles were available to me, but wen I attempted Final 2 (and failed), a bunch of tiles were dark and I could not access them...including tiles A and C which I already beat. Went back to the title screen, and everything. Is lit again.

Anyone know how the all works?

Anyway, great game! always love GRev games - they always put out something different and interesting for the shooter fans.

Well worth the 15 bucks!

Got it!

I spent about an hour playing tonight and it's a lot of fun. I would have played double for a physical release, but we take what we can get. :/

Really cool vector inspired graphics with mid 80s arcade-style game play. I'm picking up a little bit of a 32 bit vibe too. I cannot wait to try multiplayer.

I recommend setting the face buttons to turn the turret and R or L to fire.

Tain

I had low expectations going in, but this is definitely a solid game.

I guess the tragic part of it to me, from my limited (two stages) time with the game, is that the game does nothing to prevent you from slowly creeping through the levels and playing things super safe and sniping idle enemies. Like, everything else about the game is great: the backgrounds are subtle-yet-nice-looking (under the VR stuff), the machine designs are cool, the music is excellent, the tank is slow but satisfying to control (you feel pretty hotshot when you make accurate shots while strafing and rotating the tank), and the bosses seem great. But, man, they should have some more sections where enemies spawn in on you and they lock you into a room, and/or maybe through a time limit in there.

But it's early. Maybe the game mitigates that style of play later.

Cody_D165

Banned
Bought the game and it's quite fun, especially if you've got a couple of friends. The download play multiplayer is great, can play with up to four players with only one copy.

Having a blast with it.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Hello Jotamide,

Thank you for the message.

Unfortunately, the game is not available in Canada at the moment. We
were notified very late in the preparation process that we would not be
able to release the game as is to the Canadian market. Frankly, we were
quite surprised by this information.

We are currently looking at our options and hope to make it available in
the future. However, we do not have a timeline at this point.

We are sorry to have disappointed you but hope you will understand. If
we have any news about a Canadian release, we will let you know.

Best regards,
G.rev Ltd.

Yeah, so no timeline = we have no idea if it'll come. So long G.rev, my money was ready.

Fuck yeah Download Play!

kokugadlplay.jpg

(sorry for shitty cellphone pic)

antibolo

Banned
Has anyone in Canada tried switching their country to US for buying it then set it back to Canada? Is it even possible? Or is the eShop country selection IP-based?

I really want that damn game.

A lot of games in the eShop are English only, so the restriction in Canada is definitely not language-related. It's probably due to licensing issues or something, like the recent US release of Black Rock Shooter on PSP.

Yuterald

Played 4 stages (A, B, C and Final 2).

Gameplay, music and graphics are all top notch.

Game controls a little on the slow side - but in a good way. You're a tank, and it has the right pacing as such. You can't go rushing into an area... you have to plan your attack and execute. Patience seems to be the key here, and knowing what weapons you have at your disposal.

Music is amazingly good - a retail release with the soundtrack would have been great. Awesome 90s era shooter music - in the same vein as Thunderforce, Whip Rush, etc.

Graphics have a cool "simulator" vibe to them, and the animations are all smooth. Nothing crazy here - just a nice design aestetic overall.

"B" Boss is kicking my ass and I can't beat him as of yet. A and C were no problem, and I almost beat the boss of Final 2.

I'm a little confused how the level map works. At first, all the tiles were available to me, but wen I attempted Final 2 (and failed), a bunch of tiles were dark and I could not access them...including tiles A and C which I already beat. Went back to the title screen, and everything. Is lit again.

Anyone know how the all works?

Anyway, great game! always love GRev games - they always put out something different and interesting for the shooter fans.

Well worth the 15 bucks!

I was originally going to get this, but the price KIND of put me off. Music makes a difference for me though and if it's anything like Thunder Force, I'm in! Got my $30 credit (only bought Shantae so far with it) so who gives a shit, right!? =D

Novocaine

Picked it up. I'm a big fan of Ikaruga, although not a massive shmup buff. It's really... slow? I dunno I need to give it more time I think before I give any real judgement.

M3d10n

Has anyone in Canada tried switching their country to US for buying it then set it back to Canada? Is it even possible? Or is the eShop country selection IP-based?

I really want that damn game.

A lot of games in the eShop are English only, so the restriction in Canada is definitely not language-related. It's probably due to licensing issues or something, like the recent US release of Black Rock Shooter on PSP.

Yes, you freely can change to different countries in the same region (aka: "NTSC" region) as much as you want. The eShop keeps a separate wallet for each country, however.

If the US eShop doesn't work (credit card validation), try the Brazil eShop, since it takes credit cards from anywhere.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, you freely can change to different countries in the same region (aka: "NTSC" region) as much as you want. The eShop keeps a separate wallet for each country, however.

If the US eShop doesn't work (credit card validation), try the Brazil eShop, since it takes credit cards from anywhere.

I'm planning to get this using my $30 eShop credit. Does the Brazil store charge tax? Cause I know Alaska doesn't.

Should probably buy this as I'm a massive fan of Ikaruga and I got the 30 dollars from SMT. Just got turned off by the art style which came off as a bit cheap to me, not a fan of the VR stuff so much.

Yuterald

Omg, I love this game. Just downloaded it tonight and it's so fucking cool! Holy shit at the OST! I've got headphones on right now and I'm in audio bliss!

Regiruler

It's really, really good, but I didn't wish they ordered the story levels in reverse number order. It really ticked me off for some reason.

The boss theme gets slightly grating over time, however, making playing through sector
E
slightly more painful than it needs to be.

Final-1's boss was a pain in the ass until I figured out it copies whatever weapon cards you used, and some (if not all because I'm too lazy to test health-wise) of the support cards.

Yuterald

So, I've now seen 2/3 endings. I'm still really liking the game, but I gotta say this would have been better with some sort of progression system. Instead of randomizing the cards you receive at the start of a stage you should have been able to create load-outs. To increase incentive for obtaining better scores, you should have been able to trade/exchange points for the cards instead of having them available at all times. This also would have made the multipliers on the cards feel more worthwhile as you could have complete control over what you bring into a stage. Still love the game, actually, but just wanted to throw my two cents out there.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Finally got this one with the credit from the SMT IV promo. How long did it take you guys to beat it? Asking just out of curiosity.

Top Bottom