• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G-Sync is the god-level gaming upgrade.

I can kinda see why PC, or rather 'monitor' gamers opt for variable sync over strobing now. If you're close to the screen, you're going to need not only a higher resolution (say 1440p) but a higher refresh (80Hz+) to account for the lower flicker threshold. A locked 1440p80 isn't going to be cheap. I think strobing monitors actually start at 100Hz.

TV gamers conversely would gain hugely from a locked 1080p60 strobed (assuming they're ok with plasma-esque 60Hz flicker). All the eye candy and less motionblur than 144Hz.

SliChillax

I can kinda see why PC, or rather 'monitor' gamers opt for variable sync over strobing now. If you're close to the screen, you're going to need not only a higher resolution (say 1440p) but a higher refresh (80Hz+) to account for the lower flicker threshold. A locked 1440p80 isn't going to be cheap. I think strobing monitors actually start at 100Hz.

TV gamers conversely would gain hugely from a locked 1080p60 strobed (assuming they're ok with plasma-esque 60Hz flicker). All the eye candy and less motionblur than 144Hz.

Can anyone help me out here, I have an Rog Swift and I tried ULMB many times but cannot tell the difference. Turned Gsync off, ULMB on, tried playing with the pulse width at 120hz and I couldn't tell the difference at all besides the lower brightness which is a deal breaker for me.

Fredrik

I went from being a console-only gamer for 20 years to buying a proper gaming PC and Asus G-Sync monitor last summer. The transition has been like doing a double generational leap. Still haven't recovered from it. Simply can't buy anything other than console-exclusives on console anymore.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Can anyone help me out here, I have an Rog Swift and I tried ULMB many times but cannot tell the difference. Turned Gsync off, ULMB on, tried playing with the pulse width at 120hz and I couldn't tell the difference at all besides the lower brightness which is a deal breaker for me.

Load up an FPS and strafe left and right with an object in front of you, watching the edges of it. That's what I did to test it on mine, and I noticed the difference in a matter of seconds.

True that, which mean you can have both. But I still think SSD is most important upgrade because more noticeable feeling the change.

For gaming? Meh. I can barely tell whether I have a game on my SSD or not with most games. Although there are probably other upgrades that makes a huge difference with gaming...

MaxiLive

SSD is the biggest PC upgrade you can do but doesn't effect gaming all that much! Just makes the experience far nicer of running the OS, download and installation of games plus the bonus load times which usually aren't too bad on PC anyways.

I would advice everyone to get and SSD over a g-sync monitor due to the price :p

Adaptive sync seem super fancy and I can't wait for it to be affordable for myself in the coming years :D

riflen

Go here with Chrome. If you've set things up correctly, you should be able to read all the text on this scrolling image as it passes. With ULMB off, the text is illegible due to motion blur.
In games, this translates to total clarity of objects during motion.

Corpekata

Banned
I'm a derp. Are these Monitors only for high end machines? In other words I have a GTX 970, should I even bother?

A 970 would work well with it, it is what I have. Playing AC Unity with Gsync was like a night and day transformation. Perfect game to demo why it's a cool tech given that game struggles with nearly every setup.

Most Gsync monitors are 1440p, and a 970 won't be running a lot of brand new stuff at good FPS at that res, so it'll struggle a bit in that regard. But as long as it doesn't drop below 45ish FPS it's still a great experience. Once it hits around 40 FPS I've found Gsync doesn't really benefit as much, in which case I will run the game at a lower resolution.

bro1

Banned
A 970 would work well with it, it is what I have. Playing AC Unity with Gsync was like a night and day transformation. Perfect game to demo why it's a cool tech given that game struggles with nearly every setup.

Most Gsync monitors are 1440p, and a 970 won't be running a lot of brand new stuff at good FPS at that res, so it'll struggle a bit in that regard. But as long as it doesn't drop below 45ish FPS it's still a great experience. Once it hits around 40 FPS I've found Gsync doesn't really benefit as much, in which case I will run the game at a lower resolution.
Only 2 are 1440p, the ROG and the Predator. The rest are 1080p like the asus, AOC, and benq

Strafe left and right while looking at a detailed texture, try to read the writing. Most noticeable in something like Rayman with bright colours.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I'm a derp. Are these Monitors only for high end machines? In other words I have a GTX 970, should I even bother?

The 970 is a high end GPU.

I have a 970 too, and I just bought a AOC G2460PG. 144hz G-Sync. It's fantastic for older games, because I can max out settings and play them at 120 or 144fps. Even a lot of newer games. I played a bit of Sleeping Dogs at 144fps (no downsampling, stock speeds). It makes driving quickly so smooth.

Newer games that you can't max out and keep at a certain framerate are where G-Sync comes into play. Because there won't ever be tearing or stuttering, you can play at whatever rate you like. If you can get 45 fps, then it'll run at that with no problems. If you can get 82fps, it'll run at that. You're no longer limited to 30 or 60fps. So in a sense, any machine that can run a game over 40fps can take advantage of G-Sync (under around 40fps is where G-Sync reportedly stops making games look smoother, because there's only so much you can do with less frames).

That's why G-Sync is in some 4K monitors. They might not be able to play at a locked 60fps, but it doesn't matter with G-Sync. They can play at any rate they can achieve.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
For gaming? Meh. I can barely tell whether I have a game on my SSD or not with most games. Although there are probably other upgrades that makes a huge difference with gaming...

Yeah, AFAIK SSDs only really gave a noticeable effect for big MMOs in terms of gaming performance.

Pinktaco

Arh thanks a lot guys. I'll definitely look into it as My next upgrade. They're still somewhat expensive and I'm low on cash so I'll just wait a bit, read reviews and follow the prices =]

Any recommendations Or models to NOT buy?

SliChillax

Go here with Chrome. If you've set things up correctly, you should be able to read all the text on this scrolling image as it passes. With ULMB off, the text is illegible due to motion blur.

Massive difference but still for me at least it's not worth the lowered brightness and lack of Gsync.

If you're playing on a tv the benefits are probably lost on you anyways. Sorry, but gaming on a tv is total garbage after playing on any high quality, 1ms monitor.

I don't think it's garbage at all. I love console gaming on my Panny Plasma from my comfy couch!

Grief.exe

Arh thanks a lot guys. I'll definitely look into it as My next upgrade. They're still somewhat expensive and I'm low on cash so I'll just wait a bit, read reviews and follow the prices =]

Any recommendations Or models to NOT buy?

The only model to buy right now is the Acer XB270HU.

1440p, IPS, 144Hz, very small lag. It's the best on the market by virtue of being the newest.

By the time you are looking to buy one the market will have likely shifted dramatically. Monitors have been moving very quickly the last couple years after being anemic for the last decade.

Qassim

True that, which mean you can have both. But I still think SSD is most important upgrade because more noticeable feeling the change.

Eh, I really disagree in regards to gaming. SSDs can provide a nice little boost to some games, but frankly not many games are that I/O intensive - it's why only in particular circumstances would I put a game on my SSD.

For me, G-Sync is a massively greater upgrade for gaming than an SSD. It fixes a fundamental problem with video game graphics that we've had to live with for a very, very long time.

For general computer usage, you're right, an SSD is one of, if not the best upgrade you can make to an otherwise good system in regards to the noticeable impact on performance, whereas G-Sync's advantages aren't /that/ applicable outside of gaming other than the potential for reduced power usage.

Gaogaogao

The only model to buy right now is the Acer XB270HU.

1440p, IPS, 144Hz, very small lag. It's the best on the market by virtue of being the newest.

By the time you are looking to buy one the market will have likely shifted dramatically. Monitors have been moving very quickly the last couple years after being anemic for the last decade.

I want this so much

Durante

I keep my brigthness at 100 all the time, ULMB cannot achieve that.
Holy crap that's terrifying. Are you playing in direct sunlight? You should know that the suggested calibrated brightness level for a screen is 120 cd/m².

All that said, I'm personally also not all that much into strobing. For most of the genres I play I'd rather have Gsync.

Grief.exe

I turned my Acer XB270HU down to around 40 on the brightness setting. Anything above that was damn near blinding when you would switch to a white background.

SliChillax

Holy crap that's terrifying. Are you playing in direct sunlight? You should know that the suggested calibrated brightness level for a screen is 120 cd/m².

All that said, I'm personally also not all that much into strobing. For most of the genres I play I'd rather have Gsync.

I never play in the dark, my room is always well lit so it doesn't look too bright.

Edit:
I turned my Acer XB270HU down to around 40 on the brightness setting. Anything above that was damn near blinding when you would switch to a white background.

You serious? That sounds horrifying to me lol. If I lower the brightness everything looks washed out.

I think AMD's Freesync does exactly that, I'm not sure why NVidia chose 30hz as a hard limit, unless there's something in the displayport spec.

Useless below 30 fps. So I'm waiting for Freesynch since it goes as low as 9

Hey so PCper covered this exact issue a week or so ago.

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Dissecting-G-Sync-and-FreeSync-How-Technologies-Differ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkrJU5d2RfA if you don't want to read the article.

Basically, the Freesync spec doesn't technically have a hard 30hz limit, but almost all Freesync monitors have a limit of around 30hz plus or minus. Below that amount, you're relying on vsync or no sync.

I don't get why not going below 30 is a problem anyway since it can just do arbitrary multiples of any frame rate. If the gpu is pulling 25, it can do 50hz and be just as good as native 25hz.

I don't know if it does work like that, but conceptually it seems feasible

They found out that Gsync does exactly that. When framerates dip below 30, the monitor's refresh rate gets doubled and frames get repeated, so Gsync continues to work even at low framerates.

They also covered the flickering problem Gsync has:
http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Editorial/Look-Reported-G-Sync-Display-Flickering
or
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujgRjsmwtgY

Basically, flickering only occurs when the game stops sending out new frames. It almost only happens in loading screens, and mostly for MMOs.

"All LCD pixel values relax after refreshing. As a result, the brightness value that is set during the LCD’s scanline update slowly relaxes until the next refresh.

This means all LCDs have some slight variation in brightness. In this case, lower frequency refreshes will appear slightly brighter than high frequency refreshes by 1 – 2%.

When games are running normally (i.e., not waiting at a load screen, nor a screen capture) - users will never see this slight variation in brightness value. In the rare cases where frame rates can plummet to very low levels, there is a very slight brightness variation (barely perceptible to the human eye), which disappears when normal operation resumes."

Dries

On the same screensize 1440P will simply look better than 1080P. Downsampling is nice, but it still doesn't live up to being native.

How's the difference beween a 22 inch 1080p screen and a 27 inch 1440p screen? Will the increase in actual screen size potentially increase more jaggies? I don't really see how this works yet. I can assume 1440p would look better, but I could also see a smaller screen to be more compressed which would then lead to less jaggies. Correct me if I'm wrong (which I probably am lol).

Couple of new questions btw:

Are there also 60Hz G-sync screens? I will never aim for framerates higher than 60, because I don't like the feel of 60 fps (too gamey) and because I'd rather use my GPU (GTX 980) usage for downsampling. 144hz is complete overkill in that regard. My aim is 45 fps. Nothing higher than that. So my question is: how is G-sync for 45 fps?

The screen I'm currently looking into is the ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278Q. It doesn't have IPS though. Is that terrible? And what else about this screen? Is it any good?

Anarkin

Are there also 60Hz G-sync screens? I will never aim for framerates higher than 60, because I don't like the feel of 60 fps (too gamey) and because I'd rather use my GPU (GTX 980) usage for downsampling. 144hz is complete overkill in that regard. My aim is 45 fps. Nothing higher than that. So my question is: how is G-sync for 45 fps?

The screen I'm currently looking into is the ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278Q. It doesn't have IPS though. Is that terrible? And what else about this screen? Is it any good?

It think the only 60Hz G-Sync monitor is the Acer XB280HK. But it's a 4k monitor, so I'm not sure a single GTX 980 would be enough. Games drop sometimes to 45 fps and it still feels smooth on my Asus Swift. You could also buy a 144Hz monitor and run it with 60Hz.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9658&cm_re=acer_g-sync-_-24-009-658-_-Product

SliChillax

How's the difference beween a 22 inch 1080p screen and a 27 inch 1440p screen? Will the increase in actual screen size potentially increase more jaggies? I don't really see how this works yet. I can assume 1440p would look better, but I could also see a smaller screen to be more compressed which would then lead to less jaggies. Correct me if I'm wrong (which I probably am lol).

Gsync is great for any resolution. I locked NFS Rivals at 45fps downsampling from 4K and it felt like 60. I've had times where I used fraps to see what the framerate was because everything felt so smooth, anything above 30 is great.

Edit: I made this thread a while ago and people explained how Gsync is so important. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1016365&highlight=

Anarkin

Hey, that's a good one, I never thought of that. But how would that make a difference? Isn't 45 fps the same either if it's 60Hz or 144Hz?

With G-Sync it is. But you said you don't want to run games higher than 60 fps? So you either set the monitor to 60Hz where you don't have to worry that it goes above 60 fps or you use the Nvidia Inspector and set the "Frame Rate Limiter" to 60 fps.

Dries

With G-Sync it is. But you said you don't want to run games higher than 60 fps? So you either set the monitor to 60Hz where you don't have to worry that it goes above 60 fps or you use the Nvidia Inspector and set the "Frame Rate Limiter" to 60 fps.

I hear you, but I don't want 60 fps either :) I don't like the look and feel of 60 fps (I know, I'm in the minority and everybody thinks I'm strange). What I'm aiming for is a locked 45 fps.

Anarkin

I hear you, but I don't want 60 fps either :) I don't like the look and feel of 60 fps (I know, I'm in the minority and everybody thinks I'm strange). What I'm aiming for is a locked 45 fps.

You can also set the "Frame Rate Limiter" to 45 fps. ;)

SliChillax

Why not get one of those 30hz 4K monitors that came out 1 or 2 years ago? They should be cheap by now.

Edit: My best friend has the same "problem" :p he hates anything above 30fps/hz. Weird if you ask me...

Dries

You can also set the "Frame Rate Limiter" to 45 fps. ;)

That's exactly what I'm gonna do hehe. Long live MSI afterburner. I was just looking for reassurance that G-sync was not exclusively "effective" for higher-than-60 framerates. But as pointed out, it seems it works fine with 45 fps too :)

Why not get one of those 30hz 4K monitors that came out 1 or 2 years ago? They should be cheap by now.

Edit: My best friend has the same "problem" :p he hates anything above 30fps/hz. Weird if you ask me...

4K sure is tempting, but my single 980 wouldn't be enough for some games I think... I can't see myself playing The Witcher 3 at 4K and getting a average of 30 fps...

BHK3

Banned

I can read the text in the nvidia video somewhat fine but this site is just a giant blur, what do I do to fix it?

Grief.exe

I was using the full benefits of Gsync tonight.

Playing Reign if Kings, a super unoptimized Early Access game with frame rates that would dip into the twenties. Should have felt like I was playing a console title, but the game still felt smooth due to Gsync keeping my Hz in time with the low frame rate.
You could tell the game was still rendering less frames, but no studder at all. Completely smooth.

Had a blast with the gameplay, rather than being removed from the experience whenever a screen would tear.

AJLma

I recently played Star Citizen Arena Commander on the ROG Swift at 60+FPS/G-Sync and it almost felt like VR. Towards the later rounds my stomach felt like it was turning in some of the more intense dogfights.

Dark Souls2: SOTFS still tears like crazy for some reason even with G-Sync on. >:-O

algert

Banned

Hate to be the one to break it to you but ULMB/lightboost doesn't make a practical difference in the vast majority of games. There is no doubt that ULMB does reduce motion blur and decrease persistence, but relative to a "normal" sample-and-hold at 144hz there's barely a noticeable difference in motion clarity in most games. If you want to see a clear cut demonstration of ULMB in action do the blur busters test with the moving google map and try to read the text with and without ULMB, the difference will be night and day.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Dark Souls2: SOTFS still tears like crazy for some reason even with G-Sync on. >:-O
Great, that's something to look forward to when my copy gets here! I assume you've double checked all of your settings, so I wonder what is causing it.

Mohasus

You can create a custom refresh rate for your normal display.

Renekton

Eh, I really disagree in regards to gaming. SSDs can provide a nice little boost to some games, but frankly not many games are that I/O intensive - it's why only in particular circumstances would I put a game on my SSD.

For me, G-Sync is a massively greater upgrade for gaming than an SSD. It fixes a fundamental problem with video game graphics that we've had to live with for a very, very long time.
I'm missing something here, why not just cut some settings and lock 60fps? If developers implemented vsync correctly, the input lag may be minimal.

I thought this is mostly useful for enthusiasts who want really high settings at 1440p but can't consistently hit 60 on those.

Top Bottom