• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G-SYNC - New nVidia monitor tech (continuously variable refresh; no tearing/stutter)

It is really funny how suddenly I'm no longer thinking about AMD cards for my next upgrade next year, and I currently have two of them. That big of an innovation here.

iceatcs

Cool, I will wait when everything become standard like all the screen device support.
I don't want to jump in too early and can't go back, when it might be take too long other screen type to catch up.

Everything on monitor in 2004 to 2006 era is enough for me, I won't do it again like that.

I'm glad this is technically possible. The current implementation is a bit restricting hardwarewise but hopefully this will lead to a less proprietary solution and no need for a modding middle man.

Carmack working on a secret project at Oculus + he's talking more about G-Sync.

I know Carmack's history on talking about these things well enough to know that he'll be pushing for this or similar technology to find it's way into the Rift. There's no way he won't. He's one of the most outspoken people on image lag and stuttering in the industry.

So far the next upgrade is looking to be the real thing. Go all out with new card, cpu, and monitor.

Rule of thumb. Wait one year after the next gen consoles launch if you want to build a PC that will last most of the generation without too much further upgrading. It's always worked out that way for me anyways.

This time looks to be the best of them all. This time next year is looking like an amazing time to build a PC. Fortunately I'd already started saving. Roll on next year!

Morzak

It doesn't matter that it's HW. They could make an API to com with it and make that public.

Hell AMD is making Mantle public (not that I expect other HW vendors to use it). In reality, this isn't rocket science. It needs to send some sync parameters. That's basically it in terms of com with the GPU.

If it would be that easy, we would have had it years ago, it's one of the biggest issues in PC gaming since the introduction of LCD panels. LCD technology really likes a steady refresh rate, it doesn't like to have variable frame times. There is a bit more at play to make the display do that then just sending the timings. I'm also a bit curious if it will have a negative impact on the degradation of the panels especially for the DIY kits.

Sure they could release an API for it but, why should they, it seems that they have put a lot of effort into it. They want to recoup their R&D costs. It's the biggest reservation about the tech for me, I really would like to see an open standard, but it just doesn't look like Nvidia has a good reason to go for that.

scogoth

I don't think I Nvidia has said anything specifically but I wanted to know if G-Sync will be compatible with SLI and surround? Thoughts?

Naminator

Banned
I understood what it meant when I heard it, but now reading this thread I'm glad that what I was thinking is confirmed, I still had a lingering doubt in my mind that it could be something else, but maaan this is great!

Thanks Nvidia, I hope you can get that stand alone chip to work with any monitor, I'm l hope I'll be able to modify what I already have so I can experience this for myself.

Just thinking about is awesome, no more bullshit stutter or lag regardless of my framerate? I can't even ask for more.

This is fantastic. I pretty much gave up on ever playing CS:GO without any screen tearing. My waiting on buying a new monitor was worth it.

Serandur

Guys. Guys... this is... like the computing equivalent of solving cancer. Or at least killing smallpox. Or polio.

I'll go with polio or smallpox. Save the cancer for some new breakthrough/competition for Intel that results in CPU IPC actually increasing at a notable rate again or finding a way around the limitations of silicon when we get to under 10nm fab processes... or EA dies or something. :p

LCGeek

formerly sane
This is a genuinely fucking good idea. Shame I just went to amd but in the next 3 years some of my gpu or display upgrades will be insane for what I thought we might be having. 4k, occulus rift and now something ike this.

I don't really notice screen tearing but the bit about possibly smoother feel below 60 fps is interesting. I have a feeling this will be overpriced though, oh well it's targeting enthusiasts anyway. I don't see this getting big in the mainstream considering it seems only select monitors and manufacturers will be pre-installing this. Would be interesting if AMD could come up with something to counter this.

It's cool as a built in feature, but you have to really have a mortal dislike of tearing to want to crack open your monitor and install one of these.

Tain

I don't really notice screen tearing but the bit about possibly smoother feel below 60 fps is interesting. I have a feeling this will be overpriced though, oh well it's targeting enthusiasts anyway.

Thing is, it will be beneficial to everyone. This seems like such a common-sense idea, to have whatever is providing the image control the timing, that I could see it being standard for all sorts of displays and hardware in the future.

Thing is, it will be beneficial to everyone. This seems like such a common-sense idea, to have whatever is providing the image control the timing, that I could see it being standard for all sorts of displays and hardware in the future.

I would love to see something like this become standard but it's also proprietary so there would need to be a different tech that supports both AMD and Nvidia, possibly Intel's integrated stuff as well. Best case scenario is display makers come up with their own standard chip, though I'm not sure they would make the R&D investment. Also, who knows what the added cost of this thing is.

Serandur

I agree. However, I am curious as to why this hasn't been possible/attempted before. I'm not particularly knowledgeable on the subject, why is this happening only now?

The most amazing thing is that it took until 2013 for this to happen. It's such an obvious solution that as soon as the early 2000s I didn't understand why nobody did it, and chalked it up to some non-obvious hardware limitation. I mean, monitors have had configurable refresh rates for ages, this seems like a natural step.

I can't see TV and monitor makers not turning this into a standard down the line. That it's nVidia proprietary for now is not particularly worrying.

Scrabble

So you need an entirely new monitor? Sorry but I think I'll stick with my 42" plasma, I wish something like this could be implemented at the driver level.

Arulan

I'm quite speechless, this is... AMAZING. This is what many have been talking about for years now. Personally I do not use V-sync whenever possible because even in the best case scenario, D3DOverrider Triple Buffered, on a 120hz monitor, etc. "lag" continues to be present.

My most important question, what is real-world difference in display "lag" between no V-sync at all compared to G-sync? I'm skeptical that it can truly be on the same level as not using V-sync at all. I'm extremely excited by this technology, I hope it can match it, with the benefits of absolutely no tearing and pull down judder.

This is pretty impressive. So simple and yet it is probably the biggest advance in standard PC tech (i.e. not the rift) we've seen in quite a while. May definitely influence my next GPU purchase.

sounds great, but i'm not feeling the fact that i would need to have an nvidia kepler or greater gpu + that specific asus monitor or one in the future.

i wish all monitors and tvs did this.

artist

Banned
PRICING
The first G-Sync enabled monitors won't show up until Q1 next year. ASUS already announced the VG248E will be G-Sync enabled next year for $399. I'm hearing that NVIDIA wants to try and get the module down to below $100 eventually.

G-Sync module
There's a controller and at least 3 x 256MB memory devices on the board, although I'm guessing there's more on the back of the board.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7436/nvidias-gsync-attempting-to-revolutionize-gaming-via-smoothness

Orayn

Over $100 for the DYI kit? Yeesh gonna have a hard time breaking out of the enthusiast market.

Well, not necessarily. They said $400 for that Asus monitor with a kit pre-installed is going to be sold for a premium price because of the extra work involved. A new model that was designed to use G-sync from the start would almost certainly be cheaper.

Top Bottom