• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G1 Climax XXV |OT| New Japan Pro-Wrestling

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigkrev

This is the time for Styles vs. Nakamura. Any other final would disappoint me.

Yeah, that's my hope. I REALLY don't want Tanahashi-Okada at the dome for a second year in a row. AJ-Okada would have made more sense with AJ the champ and Nakamura-Okada is a little weird with both as faction-mates (and as someone who admittedly only has been following NJPW for around 2 years, I associate Nakamura more with the IC title than the HW title).

I just hope everyone survives, so I can see Nakamura and Okada in August at ROH

Hope we get a couple of Cody Hall singles matches at the G1 shows this year, I've quite enjoyed his work, especially considering here's a young boy. He's gonna be a huge deal in a few years if he continually improves at this rate.
Jay White is the better prospect, he just doesn't have the name recognition or controversy.

Yeah, that's my hope. I REALLY don't want Tanahashi-Okada at the dome for a second year in a row. AJ-Okada would have made more sense with AJ the champ and Nakamura-Okada is a little weird with both as faction-mates (and as someone who admittedly only has been following NJPW for around 2 years, I associate Nakamura more with the IC title than the HW title).

I just hope everyone survives, so I can see Nakamura and Okada in August at ROH

I just hope they don't throw ol' Cenahashi the belt again just so he can have another Tokyo Dome main event with Nakamura, but I fear that's exactly what they'll do. NJPW always wants to draw the biggest crowd possible with Wrestle Kingdom considering the enormous cost of putting it on, and unfortunately that usually means giving a main event slot to BRRRR TANADOUGH (TM Data West).

As for a Nakamura/Okada match, fans have been predicting a CHAOS split for years now so maybe this is the time. It's easily the most bloated faction in NJPW right now, with 14 members: Nakamura, Okada, Yano, Ishii, Gedo, Jado, YOSHI-HASHI, Rocky Romero, Beretta, Sakuraba, Mike Bennett, Matt Taven, Adam Cole, and Maria Kanellis.

I don't think ol' Sakuraba can manage that G1 schedule. He's REALLY beaten up. That, and he's not actually all that great in the ring. Sometimes he has great opponents (WK7? I think with Nakamura was amazing) but often he's a stinker. I like him, but I gotta be realistic.

Sakuraba works that particular style well (his match with Suzuki at Wrestle Kingdom was great, and his match Shibata at Dominion was very good), but he would be destroyed by G1's schedule. Thy had to hide him in tag matches for most of this year.

If Shibata's out, I could wish for someone like Sekimoto, but they would have booked him into the tournament if they wanted outsiders other than Elgin. Maybe the would stick Tonga in, but I can't see it.

This was a total joy last year, hoping Nak wins it this time. I raise my hand as another wanting a Nakmura/Styles final.

Is it easy to switch off auto renewal on njpw world?

Aiii

So not worth it
This was a total joy last year, hoping Nak wins it this time. I raise my hand as another wanting a Nakmura/Styles final.

Is it easy to switch off auto renewal on njpw world?

No. Once you cancel, you immediately lose access to the service, no refunds, no end date that corresponds with your last payment. Beware.

No. Once you cancel, you immediately lose access to the service, no refunds, no end date that corresponds with your last payment. Beware.

Thanks for this info. So the trick is to cancel once the tournament has ended... i'll have to use ye olde phone calendar reminders then.

That said, i'm sure there's plenty of great content on there, I just don't have time for it - a bit like the wwe network I guess.

UberTag

So I can sign up on New Japan World's website on the 20th and get the entire G1 tournament for 999 yen?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Sakuraba works that particular style well (his match with Suzuki at Wrestle Kingdom was great, and his match Shibata at Dominion was very good), but he would be destroyed by G1's schedule. Thy had to hide him in tag matches for most of this year.

If Shibata's out, I could wish for someone like Sekimoto, but they would have booked him into the tournament if they wanted outsiders other than Elgin. Maybe the would stick Tonga in, but I can't see it.

If Sekimoto was in, I'd watch every single damn match of his he has, without delay. I love him that much.

The most logical booking to me is that AJ to some degree runs away with his block. Looks great, only a few losses. The other block would come down to the last match, Nakamura vs. Okada. Nakamura wins, avenging his loss from last year and tying them at 1-1. Then Nakamura beats Styles and you do the rubber match with Okada at the Dome. The fact that they put Okada vs. Nakamura on the last night makes me think this is the direction they are going.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
If Shibata was out, they'd put another ROH guy in his spot.

NJPW isn't about booking outside independents anymore, sadly. I mean, they don't even book anyone from their sister company like G1 alum Sugiura.

tm24

We aren't doing a pick em? Or a lottery? We did that last year right?

Also, does anyone else think it's hilarious that NJPW is selling a Los Ingobernables shirt before CMLL?

ghostmind

I miss having Suzukigun in this, but I'll still be watching it all - just not live like last year, because that was almost the death of me.

Foffy

Banned
I think the bigger question is this: will it be Elgin or Honma who finishes G1 with the worst W/L record of the participants?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
NJPW World have added all the G1 Climax Finals, so now you can watch all 24 back-to-back over at;

http://njpwworld.com/pg/t_0_g1_01/e/sp

I don't see Elgin getting a huge number of points, I'd say 6 is his limit, 8 at the most.

Just give me a little more! I want to see them all :(

As much as I'd love to see Pigman get 0, he won't. I will get a boner of Honma defeats him, however, somehow. I get the feeling's gonna get 0 again, and that's ok, because I'm hype as fuck for that man.

Again, he's living proof that wins and losses DO NOT MATTER. Something the WWE crowd could really stand to learn.

Browny

Banned
Conversation at work:

"Browny, why haven't you booked any client visits for the next two weeks?"
"Because I'm going to spend each morning in the office watching the world's best pro wrestling tournament, G1."
"......."
"......."
"?"
"..... The clients can wait."

In reality, I'm going to miss so many live shows because of stupid visits. But Day 18 is going to be a cracker - Nakamura vs Okada will be dope, but personally I'm looking forward to Ishii levelling the shit out of Elgin, and Homna getting his first (and only) win.

Definitely Honma. They're not going to bring in Elgin just to shit on him.

I'm going through Block B trying to figure out who Elgin could beat.

Anderson - no
Goto - no
Honma - yes
Ishii - no
Kojima - yes
Nagata - no
Nakamura - LOL no
Okada - LOL no
Takahashi - yes

So, three wins, maybe four if you put him over Anderson.

I think the bigger question is this: will it be Elgin or Honma who finishes G1 with the worst W/L record of the participants?

I'm actually going to go with Yujiro. It would be hilarious to see him and Honma in the final night to battle to see who gets the worst record, and hopefully have Honma go over the one guy who he can beat once again.

The G1 press conference was held today in Tokyo, Shibata's definitely competing. He apologised for missing dates through injury and said he's going to work twice as hard in the G1. You can watch the whole thing on NJPW World.

O0eKS3A.jpg

hiTioxv.jpg
wj21kRW.jpg

Gallows wins "worst promo of the press conference award" for his "I'm gonna CLIMAX all over the tournament" line. Fale getting mad because the interpreter wouldn't translate their obscenities was pretty funny, though lol.

It always amuses me to see these NJPW group shots and see just how fucking short Ishii is. Good suit game though.

Also LOL at Yano blocking his face with his DVD, as usual. Although I thought he switched to the CHAOS theme song CD?

klonere

Banned
Gallows wins "worst promo of the press conference award" for his "I'm gonna CLIMAX all over the tournament" line. Fale getting mad because the interpreter wouldn't translate their obscenities was pretty funny, though lol.

something straight out of their podcast. I swear they are the biggest marks for themselves.

ghostmind

Naito's new gimmick/attitude has got me way more interested in seeing his G1 matches this year. Can't wait to see him work the crowds that really gave him the business last year.

I think AJ is gonna finally get a 5 star singles match from meltzer this year, he has gotten three 4.75 matches from him(even the the suzuki), but no 5 stars. He has to get it this year

10 minutes to go! First half of the show looks pretty skippable, but the second half should be hot fire (after Tenzan/Gallows is out of the way - seriously, what an inauspicious match to kick off the tournament with).

ghostmind

The matches for today:

G1 CLIMAX 25, DAY 1, 20.07.2015
Hokkaido Prefectural Sports Center

1. Yuji Nagata, Jushin Thunder Liger, Tiger Mask & Yohei Komatsu vs. Tomoaki Honma, Máscara Dorada, Jay White & David Finley
2. Hirooki Goto & Captain New Japan vs. Yujiro Takahashi & Cody Hall
3. Shinsuke Nakamura & YOSHI-HASHI vs. Karl Anderson & Tama Tonga
4. Satoshi Kojima, Michael Elgin & Ryusuke Taguchi vs. Kazuchika Okada, Tomohiro Ishii & Gedo
5. G1 Climax - Block A: Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs. Doc Gallows
6. G1 Climax - Block A: Togi Makabe vs. Toru Yano
7. G1 Climax - Block A: Tetsuya Naito vs. Bad Luck Fale
8. G1 Climax - Block A: Katsuyori Shibata vs. AJ Styles
9. G1 Climax - Block A: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kota Ibushi

Trevelyon

Does World archive events quickly a la the Network? Won't be able to watch live, but I'll want to see it as soon as I get off work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom