• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G1 Climax XXV |OT| New Japan Pro-Wrestling

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghostmind

Lots of new ring gear being debuted tonight. Goto's looks slick, though he keeps on having to lift his hood to see where he was going.

... recalls Gallows' polka-dot outfit from last year... <shudder>

Aiii

So not worth it
Looks like a busy morning at work, hope I'm not called into meetings during the better matches.

Happy for Elgin, he's going to get over fine with the New Japan crowd - they reacted well for all his big spots, even the half-botched fall-away slam/Samoan drop. Some enjoyable stuff in those tag matches, I'm hyped for Kojima vs Ishii now.

Aiii

So not worth it
Would it really hurt NJPW to hire a guy to add some subtitles to their pre-recorded promos?

Come on, I understand getting two extra English commentators on staff and allowing another language feed to go to the stream takes too much money and effort. But adding subs can't cost that much.

That Tenzan/Gallows match was the drizzling shits, although to be fair it did look like Tenzan's knee gave out. Not the best of starts to the G1 ever, but the next 3 matches should make up for it.

ghostmind

A solid start to the tournament - while some of the matches weren't great (Gallows vs.Tenzan, and the Hall & Takhashi vs. Goto & CNJ tag match), the good matches elevated Day 1 as a whole.

Day 1 Top Matches
Tanahashi vs Ibushi
Shibata vs Styles
Naito vs Fale

Catching up on the G1

Tanahashi is going to take out all of DDT's aces :(. Ibushi is dope as always.

Styles and Shibata was amazing as expected,moved the end.

Yessssss my boy tenzan.

Yano still the best

Ricochet has been booked for the last 3 days of the G1, appearing on the undercard on August 14th & 15th before facing KUSHIDA for the IWGP Jr. Heavyweight title on the 16th;

ruo4rRK.jpg

Also, BUSHI makes his return to in-ring action after being out injured for eight months;

KbJb5OY.jpg

He'll be teaming with Taguchi & Dorada against Tiger Mask, Komatsu & Sho Tanaka.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
catching up on this, Tanahashi v Ibushi was fucking DOPE as expected, I dont even care that tanahashiwinslol

edit: whats up with all the tag matches on day 1?

Gonzalez

Banned
edit: whats up with all the tag matches on day 1?

It's sort of reminiscent to how All Japan used to run the Champions Carnival during it's heyday. Rather than the league taking place in a week, and almost all the participants performing on every show in a league match, they instead would spread the singles matches out through the entire tour. All Japan did it to make money, but from what I'm reading New Japan is doing it to avoid injuries.

Day 2 of the G1's starting in 10 minutes! Here's the card;

NJPW, 2015/07/23
Twin Messe Shizuoka

1. Jushin Thunder Liger & Tiger Mask vs. Yohei Komatsu & Jay White
2. Togi Makabe, Kota Ibushi & Captain New Japan vs. Doc Gallows, Bad Luck Fale & Cody Hall
3. Toru Yano & YOSHI-HASHI vs. AJ Styles & Tama Tonga
4. Hiroshi Tanahashi, Tetsuya Naito & Máscara Dorada vs. Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Katsuyori Shibata & Ryusuke Taguchi
5. G1 Climax - Block B: Satoshi Kojima vs. Tomohiro Ishii
6. G1 Climax - Block B: Hirooki Goto vs. Yujiro Takahashi
7. G1 Climax - Block B: Yuji Nagata vs. Tomoaki Honma
8. G1 Climax - Block B: Kazuchika Okada vs. Michael Elgin
9. G1 Climax - Block B: Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Karl Anderson

This year they added more shows to the tour (19 in total), but not all of those were picked up for broadcast, so no production crews from Samurai TV or TV Asahi - hence the cheap production.

See above - no TV production crews, so no commentary. Tomorrow's show is on Samurai TV, so it'll have multiple cameras and commentary. Saturday's show is another single-cam show, but it's the last one this month.

Yeah, I hadn't predicted that one either - still think Shinsuke's winning his block, though. Pretty good day of G1 matches, better than Night 1 overall. Elgin/Okada was actually pretty great, loved the main event as well, once it got going.

ghostmind

Finally got around to finishing Day 2 - the lack of announcers and single cam hurt this show - in fact if it had been a full production I may have rated it higher than Day 1. Elgin is a lot more entertaining to watch than I expected, and I'm looking forward to his match ups with the rest of the roster. And would it hurt to give Honma a win?

Day 2 Top Matches
Elgin vs Okada
Nakamura vs Anderson

Yeah, I hadn't predicted that one either - still think Shinsuke's winning his block, though. Pretty good day of G1 matches, better than Night 1 overall. Elgin/Okada was actually pretty great, loved the main event as well, once it got going.

I think it's just to build tension for Nakamura since he's pretty much everyone's pick to win the thing. He and Okada could go the rest of the way undefeated, and Nakamura could beat Okada on the final night, they would tie in points but Nakamura would move to the finals because he won the head-to-head matchup.

Or, Okada could get beat by Goto, who is pretty much the only other person in the block I could see him lose to other than Nakamura.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom