• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G20 Hamburg Summit - Hype Thread!

jelly

Is this legit?

hHc3fto.jpg

Putin just had a flashback to the piss video with that hand.

Fires in the middle of the street, cars burned down, all kinds of stuff destroyed and stolen. Can these protesters also hold a nice crowdfunding action to pay back all these damages? Oh no, of course the regular people can pay for it all again. Fuck these guys.

Water cannons used on the Reuters stream. Police attacked from both sides. Really, just sent a warning: you got 30 minutes to get the fuck out and otherwise we are removing you with force. Unbelievable that people can act this way.

Edit: and all this acting for the pictures. Water cannon fires, let's stand with your hands up in the air, so we can have a nice dramatic picture for the papers and make the police look like the bad guys.

Edit 2: Porsche dealership attacked yesterday, because why not...

19748911_1419945718059286_2686014045799483782_n.jpg

PnCIa

Fires in the middle of the street, cars burned down, all kinds of stuff destroyed and stolen. Can these protesters also hold a nice crowdfunding action to pay back all these damages? Oh no, of course the regular people can pay for it all again. Fuck these guys.

Water cannons used on the Reuters stream. Police attacked from both sides. Really, just sent a warning: you got 30 minutes to get the fuck out and otherwise we are removing you with force. Unbelievable that people can act this way.

Edit: and all this acting for the pictures. Water cannon fires, let's stand with your hands up in the air, so we can have a nice dramatic picture for the papers and make the police look like the bad guys.
All while thowing fireworks and glass bottles. Imagine this would be in the US.

All while thowing fireworks and glass bottles. Imagine this would be in the US.
I imagine over there the rubber bullets would be flying around. Can't really fault them when it looks like this then also.

Hope that fire on stream now is not going to the nearby buildings. Does not look safe.

Xando

What a failure by the police and politicians.

For weeks they've clamed they're very well prepared and can deal with any protest.

PnCIa

What a failure by the police and politicians.

For weeks they've clamed they're very well prepared and can deal with any protest.
How many assholes and craziness can you expect though? They already had a huge force assembled and have requested even more. Hamburg already has its 1. May "demonstrations", this dwarfs that in comparison.

Its a failure in human decency, thats for sure though.

Xando

How many assholes and craziness can you expect though? They already had a huge force assembled and have requested even more. Hamburg already has its 1. May "demonstrations", this dwarfs that in comparison.

Police say they have 20k forces in the city and were expecting 100k protestors to come, 8k of which were to be black bloc (aka violent extremists). If they're not able to keep control over whole districts for hours(this has been going for atleast 3 weeks now) maybe they should look at their tactics or request help from the bundeswehr(as much as i dislike this).

Journalists literally report police has withdrawn from the schanzenviertel and parts of st pauli. Where are these 20k police officers?

At some point, when too many people just come to fuck things up, Western European police is too nice and restraint. On the one side, that is good, so things don't escalate too much. But it can also lead to this.

And we now have masked people trying to break into stores (or a bank?) on stream. What the hell.

I feel like throwing up when thinking of the fact that these cockroaches most likely live off the people's taxes whose property they destroy and whose existence they ruin.
"Fuck capitalism, but please work hard and pay taxes so I can buy my iPhones and designer clothes, thanks."

Vuze

I feel like throwing up when thinking of the fact that these cockroaches most likely live off the people's taxes whose property they destroy and whose existence they ruin.
The whole situation is just sickening, really not sure what else to say. Stay safe HamburgGAF.

Dandte

At some point, when too many people just come to fuck things up, Western European police is too nice and restraint. On the one side, that is good, so things don't escalate too much. But it can also lead to this.

And we now have masked people trying to break into stores (or a bank?) on stream. What the hell.

A Bank. They also inflamed an atm. Yesterday they destroyed an ikea front while customers were still inside...that must have been a scary situation.

The whole situation is just sickening, really not sure what else to say. Stay safe HamburgGAF.

I'm surprised how many Gaffer are from Hamburg. The Speckgürtel of Hamburg is as quite and peaceful as ever.

I think the violence of the protesters is way to big. Especially because currently it's hurting normal people instead of the G20. Nobody can approve this.

But let's not assume that the police did nothing wrong. They basically broke our constitution, because some people were wearing masks and they banned other demonstrations. This will definitely be going to trial some day.

PnCIa

Police say they have 20k forces in the city and were expecting 100k protestors to come, 8k of which were to be black bloc (aka violent extremists). If they're not able to keep control over whole districts for hours(this has been going for atleast 3 weeks now) maybe they should look at their tactics or request help from the bundeswehr(as much as i dislike this).

Journalists literally report police has withdrawn from the schanzenviertel and parts of st pauli. Where are these 20k police officers?
The stream shows that they haven´t withdrawn, but looking at the masses they would have to assemble a few 100 people at once to clear this out. They are porbably protecting the politicians while trying to spread evenly across areas so not more fires start to burn.
They sure as hell are not sleeping :p

Xando

The stream shows that they haven´t withdrawn, but looking at the masses they would have to assemble a few 100 people at once to clear this out. They are porbably protecting the politicians while trying to spread evenly across areas so not more fires start to burn.

Not sure how well you know the Schanze but they're standing at the entrance of the district at Feldstrasse/Stresemannstrasse/Neuer Pferdemarkt. They have atleast 1km to clear until they reach the heart of the protests at Rote Flora/Schulterblatt.

Looks like they're watching the district burn

Dandte

I think the violence of the protesters is way to big. Especially because currently it's hurting normal people instead of the G20. Nobody can approve this.

But let's not assume that the police did nothing wrong. They basically broke our constitution, because some people were wearing masks and they banned other demonstrations. This will definitely be going to trial some day.

Which depending on the situation and type isn't allowed. The Police has an Ermessensspielraum and has it's own law Polizei und Ordnungsrecht (SOG).

I don't really know Hamburg. But on the Reuters stream it looks like the police is just out of the shot in the side streets, to contain the protesters from moving away from there. They use the water cannon and did some charges earlier.

Sure, throw some more stuff on that fire. That tv will burn nicely. What was this about environmentalism again?

Which depending on the situation and type isn't allowed. The Police has an Ermessensspielraum and has it's own law Polizei und Ordnungsrecht (SOG).

But the right to demonstrate is a basic right of the constitution. Wearing a mask during a demonstration is forbidden (which has been highly criticized when it became law) but nothing severe. You'll get a higher fine for driving to fast then for that

PnCIa

Not sure how well you know the Schanze but they're standing at the entrance of the district at Feldstrasse/Stresemannstrasse/Neuer Pferdemarkt. They have atleast 1km to clear until they reach the heart of the protests at Rote Flora/Schulterblatt.

Looks like they're watching the district burn
Ich komme aus Hamburg :)
Bin aber nicht vor Ort...entsprechend sehe ich nur das, was mir der Stream zeigt und was auf Fotos zu sehen ist.

But the right to demonstrate is a basic right of the constitution. Wearing a mask during a demonstration is forbidden (which has been highly criticized when it became law) but nothing severe. You'll get a higher fine for driving to fast then for that
The dudes with the masks are burning things, attacking police, destroying cars and shops. They can protest of course, but show your face and don't destroy peoples stuff.

2,w=993,q=high,c=0.bild.jpg

Nice people, this is not about protesting, so fuck em. Now on stream also, alarms going off, shops being robbed and destroyed.

I'm not sure, but I think he's referring to the police prohibiting other protests beforehand but not this one where violence was predictable
That's pretty normal isn't it? If there are safety concerns, they can forbid it. Of course the protest organizers can bring it to court I guess. Over here in Holland we have protests cancelled on order of the mayor in the region in question from time to time.

The dudes with the masks are burning things, attacking police, destroying cars and shops. They can protest of course, but show your face and don't destroy peoples stuff.

I'm not sure, but I think he's referring to the police prohibiting other protests beforehand but not this one where violence was predictable

I don't want to guard those things. They should be punished (by the law). But the wrong doing of some people shouldn't be used to punish others.

Xando

Not sure what police tactic is here.

Are they literally going to wait until the disctrict is burned down?

Surreal they have all these G20 people having a dinner 2-3km away from a warzone

A Bank. They also inflamed an atm. Yesterday they destroyed an ikea front while customers were still inside...that must have been a scary situation.

I'm surprised how many Gaffer are from Hamburg. The Speckgürtel of Hamburg is as quite and peaceful as ever.

The other side of the Alster is as quiet as ever (it's even more peacefull than usual as traffic has quiet down due to police closing streets, I walked on main streets where you usually would be driven over in a heartbeat but no car was on the road), cross the Elbe and it's the same, go north to Stellingen, Langenhorn, same thing(except for the traffic maybe), and so on. The only thing getting on my nerves is the constant helicopter noise, seems like they are in the air 24/7.

It's a very concentrated thing around the G20 meetings and everyone I spoke to beforehand was predicting that it would go down in the Schanzenviertel, because it always does there and politicians were stupid to think they could keep everything quite there. It was the worst place to chose from here! The ammount of police forces on the streets everywhere was staggering and that may have let many to believe they maybe would be able to prevent everything, obviously they were wrong.

Surreal they have all these G20 people having a dinner 2-3km away from a warzone
Police is calling for the public to remove themselves it seems, according to Twitter. So maybe they are preparing to go in later on.

Majin Boo

Actually looks that way, sacrifice one district and let people go crazy in there to safe all the others...

Xando

Police is calling for the public to remove themselves it seems, according to Twitter. So maybe they are preparing to go in later on.

They have for 3 hours now.

At some point they have to stop watching and start acting

Chopper is still buzzing above us but otherwise no police to be heard

I don't know then. Maybe they just wait it out.

And on stream we once again have people dragging some stuff to the fires, stolen from a local restaurant or something.

I hope they go through all these images later on and everyone who is identified can pay for the damages.

I do like how we have all these livestreams. Earlier you had to go with the images published, now you see how the protesters do their stuff, challenge police, etc, instead of just seeing the dramatic picture of someone being splashed in the face by a water cannon. Like these guys that have been inching closer and closer over the past half hour or so to get a response and their moment for a nice picture.

Oh man, some of these people will get very very very inconveniencing letters from the state a couple of weeks down when the police has analysed all of the footage. Even if they won't get caught once the police moves in.

Dandte

I don't know then. Maybe they just wait it out.

And on stream we once again have people dragging some stuff to the fires, stolen from a local restaurant or something.

I hope they go through all these images later on and everyone who is identified can pay for the damages.

These are from a restaurant called sofabar or Zoe. Great place to have a beer with friends but it's always super crowded.

Protesters come to Hamburg, wreck Hamburg, leave.

Meanwhile, absolutely nothing has been accomplished against Trump or Putin or any another other country outside of Germany.

What is the point?

Thats not good to hear. An acquaintance of mine works there.
It was some stuff from the terraces. Don't know the English word. Not things from inside, so probably no large looting there.

Police has been checking phones without any real reasons

https://twitter.com/PolizeiHamburg/...onpsx.de/showthread.php?p=1743275#post1743275

Fuck this...I hope the people will take all these kind of situations to trial.

Maybe it's also time to overthink the G20. We don't have anything to gain for this. Instead the preparations are wasting a huge amount of money and the current protests will burn an even bigger budget.
They should just do a Skype call next time. Or - sad as it is - do it in different countries. How is Japan with protests for example? Or Australia. Expensive to travel to for people just wanting to fuck stuff up. Right now you have people from all over Europe getting on a bus for € 10 for some looting.

fuenf

Police has been checking phones without any real reasons

https://twitter.com/PolizeiHamburg/...onpsx.de/showthread.php?p=1743275#post1743275

Fuck this...I hope the people will take all these kind of situations to trial.

Maybe it's also time to overthink the G20. We don't have anything to gain for this. Instead the preparations are wasting a huge amount of money and the current protests will burn an even bigger budget.

totally warrantedif they suspect militans among them, tonight makes it pretty clear that these are riots and that's not because of any police action.

Dandte

Thats not good to hear. An acquaintance of mine works there.

Could also be from an other restaurant but since they had astra on it and the restaurants next to the sofa have others things on their parasol i guessed it's from there. Checked it with google maps.

Your acquaintance maybe has to do some cleanup in the next days ;-/

PnCIa

Chopper is still buzzing above us but otherwise no police to be heard
Looking at the stream, they are actively using their water cannons to stop black bloc assholes from escaping. Also, those dumb shits are burning down the most left-leaning area in the city.

Protesters come to Hamburg, wreck Hamburg, leave.

Meanwhile, absolutely nothing has been accomplished against Trump or Putin or any another other country outside of Germany.

What is the point?
I think it's a SERIOUS symptom of the civil unrest that many people feel. The G20 represents a corrupt system that oppressed all but the 1%.

I don't approve of rioting (especially the way they're choosing to do it) nor would I ever engage in acting like it (I've been participating in civil disobedience when I feel like I need to since the mid-90s), but I understand the rage people feel.

Top Bottom