• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G4 Tech TV criticizes Gamecube and Reggie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Any1

On the show pulse that just aired, they say that their still waiting for the "reggielution" and basically say that ever since Reggie started "kicking butt and taking names" the GC has gotten its ass whooped even more by Xbox and PS3.

They also intimate that Nintendo fanboys are kidding themselves if they think Ninty will not make games for MS and Sony when they inevitably leave the console business.

I was actually surprised to see them say something that is actually somewhat controversial. Whether you agree with them or not, it was at least more entertaining than the usual recycled news they go on about.

Kon Tiki

Banned
I think they know something. Come one, a legitimate major cable network talking about huge industry news.

Oh wait, G4 has Tommy Tellarico (sp), right? Never mind legitimate.

They also intimate that Nintendo fanboys are kidding themselves if they think Ninty will not make games for MS and Sony when they inevitably leave the console business.

They are kidding themselves if they think Nintendo will leave a profitable situation. But ya, MS rocks! Do not crush our puny network, we suck cocks!

Sho Nuff

Banned
I've always felt that Reggie embodied the dumb jock who would beat the shit out of Nintendo nerds in high school, hence my confusion on why people identify with him.

BeOnEdge

Banned
Any1 said:
On the show pulse that just aired, they say that their still waiting for the "reggielution" and basically say that ever since Reggie started "kicking butt and taking names" the GC has gotten its ass whooped even more by Xbox and PS3.

I was actually surprised to see them say something that is actually somewhat controversial. Whether you agree with them or not, it was at least more entertaining than the usual recycled news they go on about.

its the truth. its sad that they cling to this reggie guy. i dont get it. never have.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
What damage control? It's been only a few months since E3, and frankly, neither the specific games nor the specific systems primarily discussed by Reggie have come out yet, nor were they expected to be out by now. It's too soon.

And as far as the industry at large, Nintendo's doing just fine. Not phenominally, perhaps, but not even close to the level of pathetic attained by Sega.

Vibri

Banned
cja said:
The reggielution will not be televised.

lol

>>They also intimate that Nintendo fanboys are kidding themselves if they think Ninty will not make games for MS and Sony when they inevitably leave the console business.

? Which part of Pulse was this in? It starts again in 30 mins and I want to check it out.

also if you haven't seen it - check out their RIDGE RACER PSP shit. i want that game NOW.

snapty00

Banned
Any1 said:
On the show pulse that just aired, they say that their still waiting for the "reggielution" and basically say that ever since Reggie started "kicking butt and taking names" the GC has gotten its ass whooped even more by Xbox and [PS2].
Well, I do agree with that much. At E3, Reggie said something along the lines that if you didn't feel Nintendo's momentum yet, you soon would. Bullshit. GameCube has plummeted even further since E3. It won't even be a major force this holiday season.

People like Reggie because he's the only remotely in your face higher up member of Nintendo. Everyone else clings to vague statements and rare comments and appearances. He's just an interesting figurehead, as far as I'm concerned. I doubt any non-fanboy Nintendo fan would go crazy if the guy disappeared. I wouldn't.

I don't really care what happens with Nintendo as long as they keep putting out games I enjoy. For their platform or otherwise. There's more stuff for GameCube in the next several months I want than for the other platforms, so I can't complain.

Any1

Vibri said:
lol

>>They also intimate that Nintendo fanboys are kidding themselves if they think Ninty will not make games for MS and Sony when they inevitably leave the console business.

? Which part of Pulse was this in? It starts again in 30 mins and I want to check it out.

also if you haven't seen it - check out their RIDGE RACER PSP shit. i want that game NOW.

It was like the very last or next to the very last segment of the show.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Reggie was fun because through him, Nintendo put together a show unlike any other they've ever done. It was different and it was funny, both for its lameness at times and for the way they stood up to their competitors. I don't see what's so hard to get about that. It's not like he wrote and presented a new chapter in the bible for fuck's sake.

ge-man

Semjaza Azazel said:
People like Reggie because he's the only remotely in your face higher up member of Nintendo. Everyone else clings to vague statements and rare comments and appearances. He's just an interesting figurehead, as far as I'm concerned. I doubt any non-fanboy Nintendo fan would go crazy if the guy disappeared. I wouldn't.

Exactly. I don't think fans care if what he says has any truth to it--he brings energy to a company whose public image is generally too softspoken these days.

Memles

I really don't give a shit about what Reggie SAYS...simply using him as a savior for Nintendo has provided dozens of puns and genuine entertainment.

I don't think ANYONE can seriously believe he will be Nintendo's saviour and that he is anything more than a PR spouter...but damnit if he's not an entertaining one.

Tenguman

How is Reggie is responsible for the lackluster GC performance? He came in late in the game when the Gamecube was already flapping in the wind. I'd blame NOJ's clear jump-ship from the Gamecube before I'd blame Reggie. To be effective, a marketing guy needs something good to market. Reggie needs something like Halo 2 and Nintendo is giving him Mario Party 59,493,835,224

I think the biggest problem is the lack of communication of philosophies between NOA and NOJ. Look at the DS. You have Reggie telling the press that the DS is a system geared towards the older gamer. Then, nearly the same time in Japan, you got Miyamoto saying the DS is a toy and showing off fun games for kids.

You've got NOA trying to get the older gamers to buy a system that looks like a purple lunch box. For every Resident Evil, there's about 10 games geared towards kids. How is Reggie supposed to work with this? How is he supposed to do his job when the majority of Nintendo games are kids games? Games that are becoming less and less relevant in the US market.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Memles said:
I don't think ANYONE can seriously believe he will be Nintendo's saviour and that he is anything more than a PR spouter.
Exactly, which is why it is asinine for G4 to say such a thing.
He did however show that Nintendo was changing. Notice everyone spoke english? His role was not to terrorize people into buying systems, but to show a new direction (in a company focus manner).

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Remember that Hyrule Camp chat thing?
NINTENDOFANBOYX: To Reggie: How does Nintendo plan on advertising the DS? Will Nintendo go for a more underground or mainstream approach?

NOA_REGGIE: We'll do a bit of both

NOA_REGGIE: we are doing some very interesting things right now with SP and GameCube

NOA_REGGIE: we'll contiune to push the envelop with DS, but to also do very underground, far out things as well

NOA_REGGIE: I can't share all the detail right now ... trust me it will be innovative!
New direction? Sounds exactly like classic Nintendo spin to me.
His role was not to terrorism people
His role was not to terrorize people

Any1

Tenguman said:
How is Reggie is responsible for the lackluster GC performance? He came in late in the game when the Gamecube was already flapping in the wind. I'd blame NOJ's clear jump-ship from the Gamecube before I'd blame Reggie. To be effective, a marketing guy needs something good to market. Reggie needs something like Halo 2 and Nintendo is giving him Mario Party 59,493,835,224

I think the biggest problem is the lack of communication of philosophies between NOA and NOJ. Look at the DS. You have Reggie telling the press that the DS is a system geared towards the older gamer. Then, nearly the same time in Japan, you got Miyamoto saying the DS is a toy and showing off fun games for kids.

Actually, they said something very similiar to your "Mario Party 59,493,835,224" comment.

I can't remember exactly what they said but it was something very similiar to your argument.

Claus

Banned
reggielution.jpg

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
LOL, G4TechTV (who by the way seem anti Nintendo to me) were in full damage control after the great DS news this past week.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
BeOnEdge said:
its the truth. its sad that they cling to this reggie guy. i dont get it. never have.

Be is just upset over the recent discovery that Reggie is his long lost illegitimate dad :p

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Speaking of G4Techtv, that dude on Pulse and Arena really pisses me off. I greatly wish to stick my boot up his ass.

Deku Tree

i dont' really care whether or not the big N leaves the console biz. if they keep making great console games then which console they make them on really matters little to me.

that said, i'm convinced that Nintendo as a third party would be like Square-Enix and keep the vast majority of their games on one system, most likely on a Sony console where they'd get the most Japanese sales.

jarrod

Banned
Any1 said:
Anyone expecting Nintendo games on a PlayStation or Xbox platform is kidding themselves. If Nintendo ever fully drops home consoles, they'll just shift all software R&D over to their handheld empire... oh, and Reggie still sucks.

I think a Nintendo and M$ team up would probably be the best for the industry just to keep the competition going with at least two big players instead of one. If Sony gets the stranglehold like Nintendo did we'll see rare price drops and the next console on the market for ten years.

I rarely watch G4 but I actually just saw Pulse (I think that's what it's called) and at the end sure enough was the babbling. Their was clear bias in this case...but I'm just not sure why someone would be so insecure to want to insult a game console company. Report the facts and let them speak for themselves...otherwise you show yourself to be as pathetic as your bias (~get a life).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom