• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G4 Tech TV criticizes Gamecube and Reggie

Status
Not open for further replies.
I own a Cube and a PS2, but this subtle Nintendo bias at the G4 side of the channel is starting to get annoying. First of all, THAT PUNK DISSED DONKEY KONGA and that ain't cool. Anything Nintendo related gets jack coverage (primarily Pulse and Judgement Day). I know the Big N doesn't have the huge surplus of titles the PS2 and a lesser extent the Xbox, but there's still something. X-Play which I knew and watched for a good year before seeing G4 has pretty balanced coverage of everything: PS2, Cube, Xbox, handhelds and PC. Also, I've yet to see a Xbox or PS2 rant, only Nintendo gets that treatment. Think something like GT4 losing online play could have sparked something? That's far more interesting and recent compared to Reggie's sales pitch five months ago.

Deku Tree

maximum360 said:
I think a Nintendo and M$ team up would probably be the best for the industry just to keep the competition going with at least two big players instead of one. If Sony gets the stranglehold like Nintendo did we'll see rare price drops and the next console on the market for ten years.

That sounds good and a Sony stranglehold would not be good. But at the same time, even leaving Japan out of the argument, Nintendo games don't fit very well into the xbox "mature" fanbase. Nintendo style games would sell much better on a Sony system.

In other news, its kind of sad the way Nintendo has become the whipping boy of the video game media.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Manick Joe said:
Think something like GT4 losing online play could have sparked something? That's far more interesting and recent compared to Reggie's sales pitch five months ago.

well, i actually saw one of the guys on pulse diss both gt4 and fable for big dissapointments in whats being cut for the final game...

ge-man

Deku Tree said:
In other news, its kind of sad the way Nintendo has become the whipping boy of the video game media.

Ironically enough, I believe Reggie was brought in to remedy that situation by provided a stronger,more imposing image for Nintendo PR. I guess that idea isn't exactly panning out in some areas.

Che

Banned
Dave Long said:
The channel is owned by Comcast who are in turn partly owned by Microsoft. You do the math.

:lol I didn't know that. How can anyone watch this channel when he knows that? Journalism at its worst.

ge-man

Che said:
After what happened to Sega I sincerely hope so...

The comparison just doesn't work. Sega was so mismanaged that they were forced to pull the plug on the DC. Their last console actually peformed well.

Nintendo can support a niche format. Shoot, sometimes I wonder if that is already their goal. Why duke it out in a tech race where their philosophy is becoming less relevant when they have full control of another market? The GB can be their sole mainstream product while their other systems mostly remain as vehicles for their own software.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
what part of this assertion is false?

Since Reggie's E3 statements, it's been all downhill for GC in US. Did I miss something? This dosen't mean it's reggie's fault, but he certainly hasn't turned it around.

as for making videogames for other systems, well I am not getting into that shit.

MaddenNFL64

It's not like G4 did anything new. The games media has ripped Nintendo, or made them irrelevent in any discussion. At least X-Play pimps the GC every now & then.

Any1 said:
On the show pulse that just aired, they say that their still waiting for the "reggielution" and basically say that ever since Reggie started "kicking butt and taking names" the GC has gotten its ass whooped even more by Xbox and PS3.

They also intimate that Nintendo fanboys are kidding themselves if they think Ninty will not make games for MS and Sony when they inevitably leave the console business.

I was actually surprised to see them say something that is actually somewhat controversial. Whether you agree with them or not, it was at least more entertaining than the usual recycled news they go on about.

I heart G4 Tech TV. They speak the truth!

As long as Nintendo's console hardware business gets put to permanent rest, it's ALL good.
And while I dig the GBA SP, I can't say I'd mind a little concerted effort on behalf of gaming journalists to help the DS towards a good old-fashioned flop.

They planted the daisies on Sega; now, it's time to retire the other half of the old guard and usher in the ONE CONSOLE WORLD.

MaddenNFL64

You do know that in the end, Microsoft will win right? It's inevitable, just like the Machine Wars of the 2200's.

Well, if thats what you want...

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
CVXFREAK said:
Oh well, the network continues to show its idiocy.

So what exactly has Nintendo done since Reggie was unleashed? The DS announcement is about it. I guess pointing out that nothing has happened or changed is proof of idiocy in your eyes.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Society said:
I think they know something. Come one, a legitimate major cable network talking about huge industry news.

Mr. Webster takes issue with your uses of "major" and "legitimate."

AniHawk

dskillzhtown said:
So what exactly has Nintendo done since Reggie was unleashed? The DS announcement is about it. I guess pointing out that nothing has happened or changed is proof of idiocy in your eyes.

Well they announced that they expect to earn 20% more profit for the fiscal year.

Brofist

AniHawk said:
Well they announced that they expect to earn 20% more profit for the fiscal year.

Probably cause the guy Reggie took the place of was making a few million a year, and Reggie is making minimum wage.

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
They're absolutely right you know, since E3 not a single copy of RE4 or the mature Zelda have been sold. Nintendoomed!

:p

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Drinky Crow said:
And while I dig the GBA SP, I can't say I'd mind a little concerted effort on behalf of gaming journalists to help the DS towards a good old-fashioned flop.
why?

Society said:
Exactly, which is why it is asinine for G4 to say such a thing.
He did however show that Nintendo was changing. Notice everyone spoke english? His role was not to terrorize people into buying systems, but to show a new direction (in a company focus manner).
How has NOA changed thus far? I haven't noticed a damn thing different about Nintendo's image or attitude in any territory. And for someone who's not meant to "terrorize", NOA sure picked one freakish looking PR tool as their voice.
Manick Joe said:
Anything Nintendo related gets jack coverage (primarily Pulse and Judgement Day).
Judgment Day reviews most of the major GC games due to Victor Lucas' love for Nintendo. It may seem like GC doesn't get equal coverage but then again, it's not getting equal support from publishers either.

As for my opinion about G4 comments; I'm indifferent because of the channel's potential conflict of interests (if they're actually partly owned by MS that is) but if Nintendo were to exit the home console hardware market and go software only, would it really matter? I don't think so. Who's to say, what the future holds for the portable market but if it matures similarly to the home market and Nintendo doesn't acknowlege this, then they're sure to have similar difficulties. Oh and Reggie is a worthless freak who has control of dick at Nintendo. NOJ's still calling the shots ultimately and Reggie will do what he's told if he wants to keep his job. His colorful remarks towards the competition will wear thin when Nintendo continually looses marketshare in the home market and potentially the portable market if they're not careful. [/longwindedsoapboxrant]

ge-man said:
The G4 part seems to lean that way. X-Play isn't like this, however.

That's because X-Play still has its TechTV cast. It's still two channels. The shit, G4, and the decent, TechTV shows.

Pulse is generally hostile towards Nintnendo, but someone needs to tell these assholes (They are supposed to report the news afterall) that Nintendo's recent Profit forecast was recently upped from high to ungodly. When your profitting that kind of coin, you're not leaving the hardware field for any reason (Even if they have some validity for the game players).

Hournda

Deg said:
Sounds like Damage control in wake of PSP.

This whole thread sounds like damage control because a somewhat high-profile source (a TV show of questionable reputation) has insulted the GA Forum's beloved PR hack Reggie.

satterfield

BIGTIME TV MOGUL
Manick Joe said:
I own a Cube and a PS2, but this subtle Nintendo bias at the G4 side of the channel is starting to get annoying. First of all, THAT PUNK DISSED DONKEY KONGA and that ain't cool. Anything Nintendo related gets jack coverage (primarily Pulse and Judgement Day). I know the Big N doesn't have the huge surplus of titles the PS2 and a lesser extent the Xbox, but there's still something. X-Play which I knew and watched for a good year before seeing G4 has pretty balanced coverage of everything: PS2, Cube, Xbox, handhelds and PC. Also, I've yet to see a Xbox or PS2 rant, only Nintendo gets that treatment. Think something like GT4 losing online play could have sparked something? That's far more interesting and recent compared to Reggie's sales pitch five months ago.

X-Play did bang on Gran Turismo 4. Check out our TGS show. I'm not going to jump on here and defend the network every time someone complains, but in regards to your comment about Nintendo not getting any coverage, it's because they won't give us (or anyone else) anything to work with. If anything, we have to go overboard on Nintendo products just to cover them at all. That means importing Cube games like Paper Mario 2 just to do an in-depth preview. It's seriously not the media's fault that Nintendo gets zero coverage. They make it damn near impossible. We were finally able to give Metroid Prime 2 a proper preview only after Nintendo commercially released the demo. Nintendo never sends out preview discs of its games to editors, and only the largest publishers ever have Nintendo burn preview builds. Then there's the issue of actually finding a freelancer who has a Cube debug. Good luck on that one. There's a lot to it that most people don't realize. Nintendo made a few slight changes this gen (like finally switching to discs), but it still has a lot of work to do if it wants to maximize its products. It's really living in the dark age where dealing with the media is concerned.

Deg

Banned
Hournda said:
This whole thread sounds like damage control because a somewhat high-profile source (a TV show of questionable reputation) has insulted the GA Forum's beloved PR hack Reggie.

Reggie is cool. Its his job and he does it well. Its abit silly ranting against Reggie because its pointless.

satterfield said:
X-Play did bang on Gran Turismo 4. Check out our TGS show. I'm not going to jump on here and defend the network every time someone complains, but in regards to your comment about Nintendo not getting any coverage, it's because they won't give us (or anyone else) anything to work with. If anything, we have to go overboard on Nintendo products just to cover them at all. That means importing Cube games like Paper Mario 2 just to do an in-depth preview. It's seriously not the media's fault that Nintendo gets zero coverage. They make it damn near impossible. We were finally able to give Metroid Prime 2 a proper preview only after Nintendo commercially released the demo. Nintendo never sends out preview discs of its games to editors, and only the largest publishers ever have Nintendo burn preview builds. Then there's the issue of actually finding a freelancer who has a Cube debug. Good luck on that one. There's a lot to it that most people don't realize. Nintendo made a few slight changes this gen (like finally switching to discs), but it still has a lot of work to do if it wants to maximize its products. It's really living in the dark age where dealing with the media is concerned.

I think that covers lack of coverage but i think you could get intouch with them and try to get a couple of things ;) Tell them 'give me the freebies' :p

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
i cant believe you guys take the whole reggie thing seriously.

hell, i cant believe you guys take g4 seriously.

cvxfreak

dskillzhtown said:

I'm of the opinion the Metroid Prime bundle counts for SOMETHING. But that's just "in my eyes."

This network... there's just so many things wrong with it. Quoting Wario64 was pretty dumb, their crappy excuse for reviews from that Tallarco guy, although the other guy is pretty good. Even Satoru Iwata said that Nintendo leaving the console (or hardware) business would mean leaving the industry. Those are pretty strong words.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I'm watching Pulse right now. Offtopic but they're talking about NDS launch titles, and they say Zelda is a rumored launch title. I didn't hear anything about this...?

Kon Tiki

Banned
Wario64 said:
I'm watching Pulse right now. Offtopic but they're talking about NDS launch titles, and they say Zelda is a rumored launch title. I didn't hear anything about this...?
Pretty much sums up how much G4 does not know anything about the industry they cover.

There will be no DS Zelda at launch, not when they want the GBA to sell.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Oh how fitting, looks like the Revolution rant is coming up after this commercial break, and reported by no other than Kevin Peierra. Are all his news stores/rants about fanboys?

xsarien

daedsiluap
Wario64 said:
Oh how fitting, looks like the Revolution rant is coming up after this commercial break, and reported by no other than Kevin Peierra.

Sometimes I wish I got G4*, as seeing them bitch about the system everyone knows the least about would make me laugh in a "wow, they're pretty stupid," kind of way.

Or I could go hire some chick in steel-toed army boots to kick me in the nuts, decisions...decisions...

(*I actually don't know if I get it. I got TechTV, but after the buyout/switch, I never bothered to see if DirecTV continued to carry it. I just had zero interest.)

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Wario64 said:

It's a rumor because they say it is. :p

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Wario64 said:
Oh how fitting, looks like the Revolution rant is coming up after this commercial break, and reported by no other than Kevin Peierra.

That's the asshole who's ass I wish to kick. Once G4Techtv gves him the boot, the whole channel will become atleast 100x better.

Vibri

Banned
Kevin Pereira seems to be taking the Tommy Tallarico route. He has a rant at the end of every Pulse (last week it was better - on developers over hyping their games then under delivering, i.e. Fable). But if he's going to be an opinionated 'personality' they need to take him off the fucking NEWS show.

I also noticed (GAF's own) Justin Keeling on the same Pulse show reporting on TGS, and then on G4TV.com mouthing off on Squaresoft's lack of originality. They're really trying to hit those fanboy sweetspots. :p

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Vibri said:
Kevin Pereira seems to be taking the Tommy Tallarico route. He has a rant at the end of every Pulse (last week it was better - on developers over hyping their games then under delivering, i.e. Fable). But if he's going to be an opinionated 'personality' they need to take him off the fucking NEWS show.

I also noticed (GAF's own) Justin Keeling on the same Pulse show reporting on TGS, and then on G4TV.com mouthing off on Squaresoft's lack of originality. They're really trying to hit those fanboy sweetspots. :p

:eek, i share his last name. I guess it's all about balance in the force :p

(Although i don't have a tv show where i can rant.)

Prine

Banned
You dont see ANY Xbox fans raving about Peter Moore though. They just dont give a crap about him.

What has he done for MS? I can only remember some announcements about price cuts in EU.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Prine said:
You dont see ANY Xbox fans raving about Peter Moore though. They just dont give a crap about him.

What has he done for MS? I can only remember some announcements about price cuts in EU.

That's because Reggie is more interesting than the GAMECUBE NINTENDO.

Vibri

Banned
Prine said:

I'm guessing people who play Xbox and PS2 probably care more about playing the games, instead of getting emotionally attached to some corporate executive in the company who made their game system.

M3wThr33

Banned
satterfield said:

I wouldn't too much about the X-Play opinion here. It's still valued highly, and I personally still respect it, too.

And now, pictures of Morgan and Adam.

085.png
086.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom