• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf, are you ready for new The Rolling Stones music? Sometimes you get what you need

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaladin

What does a new album from The Rolling Stones sound like in 2016? If "Just A Fool" is any indication, it's a lot like the band's earliest recordings from more than 50 years ago. This cover of a Buddy Johnson and His Orchestra tune is the kind of harmonica-honked, barroom piano-plonked, dirty blues that introduced the world to the Stones, when the British band made a name for itself by interpreting American blues songs. Mick Jagger is especially settling into his ragged older man voice like any bluesman should.

Story with link to the single:
http://www.npr.org/sections/allsong...nces-blues-covers-album-shares-just-your-fool

Recorded in British Grove Studios in Chiswick, West London, Blue & Lonesome features covers of Howlin' Wolf ("Commit A Crime") and Jimmy Reed ("Little Rain"), with Eric Clapton playing guitar on Otis Rush's "I Can't Quit You Baby" and Little Johnny Taylor's "Everybody Knows About My Good Thing." This will be The Rolling Stones' first studio album in 11 years.

Blue & Lonesome comes out Dec. 2 on Polydor.

Shit yeah this is going to be an awesome way to end the year.

I've been waiting for this to hit spotify. My dad is a huge stones fan, but I mostly like their blues stuff. When they do an album of blues only, that sounds like a great thing to me (reviews have been very favorable as well).

Is it good? I'm pretty wary of new music from older rockers. Sometimes it doesn't turn out very well. I haven't listened to really any of the other recent stuff but I like the classics. It seems to be a simpler, dirtier kind of rock.

Is it good? I'm pretty wary of new music from older rockers. Sometimes it doesn't turn out very well. I haven't listened to really any of the other recent stuff but I like the classics. It seems to be a simpler, dirtier kind of rock.

It's actually really good. Every song is a cover, which in this case due to their age works really well. A tribute to the music that inspired them, the type of tracks they could play in their sleep. All of your Love is the standout track for me, and surpasses the original.

Clapton plays on two tracks, also (his album released this year was great too).

otapnam

Only one track, ride em down available on Google play today. Sounds great though.

Edit : nm found the album!

BrunOz

Bring it!

(Saw them live this year here in Brazil, they fucking rocked like no other band I've ever seen live!)

It's actually really good. Every song is a cover, which in this case due to their age works really well. A tribute to the music that inspired them, the type of tracks they could play in their sleep. All of your Love is the standout track for me, and surpasses the original.

Clapton plays on two tracks, also (his album released this year was great too).

Oh nice, I may check it out tonight. Sounds fun.

Chuck

Still without luck
I don't understand the insane praise the record is getting. It's a well recorded blues covers album, but that's really all it is.

Fox Mulder

I've seen them twice and grew up liking them as my dad is a huge fan, but I'm fine with not hearing new music from legendary old bands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom