• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, do you think this is unintentional racism, or thoughtful parenting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that what rubbed me weird is that I tend to be very direct when it comes to things like this. If I were in this situation, I envision myself sitting down with my kid, and talking about the differences in our hair and how it's perceived, and telling her she has nothing to be ashamed of, and her hair is every bit as awesome as my own. Gestures that appear to be meant to stave off conversation tend to ring negative for me.

But I guess sometimes it's easy to forget how important the image of a thing can be for a kid. Like, certainly the girl is going to eventually grow up and realize that that isn't her mother's natural hair texture, but in this important development for a kid, seeing that kind of positive reinforcement can work wonders.

Do you know for a fact that she isn't having this conversation with her child as well as making this gesture? One doesn't preclude the other at all.

royalan

Do you know for a fact that she isn't having this conversation with her child as well as making this gesture? One doesn't preclude the other at all.

No, I didn't. I wanted to have a deeper discussion with her about it (especially since she asked me for hair tips regarding her son because she likes how I wear my own hair). But I didn't know how to quantify my thoughts in the moment, and I didn't want to risk offending her, since as I said that my gut response was that it was an adorable gesture.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I'm trying to understand why you would think that OP. So forgive me if I'm way off base but is this to you a version of blackface?

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
See, If this woman did that, the conversation would likely end with: "EASY FOR YOU TO SAY MOM, YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND, because you have 'NORMAL' hair!"

It's one thing for a parent to say their child's hair is beautiful, it's another entirely to show that they think it's beautiful, by adopting the style themselves. I think the gesture makes the message all the stronger. Her little girl is going to know that their hair is different someday, but she's always going to know that her mother thinks her hair is beautiful.

My thoughts exactly. And the fact that the mother chose the hairstyle can send a positive message all its own, by showing that hair like her daughter's is desirable.

royalan

I'm trying to understand why you would think that OP. So forgive me if I'm way off base but is this to you a version of blackface?

I suppose, in a way. Although, I don't think it was that extreme.

As I said earlier in this thread, my reaction (and what I said to her) was "that's awesome!" And regardless of what I ultimately think about her methods, I do think it's great that she's at least thinking of her daughter and her self-esteem. This thread is ultimately just as much about me exploring why I felt a negative tinge as it is posing the question to GAF.

I think it was the action of her purposefully changing her physical appearance to placate her daughter that gave me pause. As I thought more about it, tt reminded me a lot of the stories you would hear in the 90s about white parents adopting African kids, and then start wearing dashikis around the house and listening to "tribal" music in an attempt to make the kids feel comfortable. In their zealousness to create a feeling of inclusiveness, these parents ultimately came off as ignorant and trivialized entire cultures.

But Keri's response on the last page was actually an interesting counter that I hadn't considered:

See, If this woman did that, the conversation would likely end with: "EASY FOR YOU TO SAY MOM, YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND, because you have 'NORMAL' hair!"

It's one thing for a parent to say their child's hair is beautiful, it's another entirely to show that they think it's beautiful, by adopting the style themselves. I think the gesture makes the message all the stronger. Her little girl is going to know that their hair is different someday, but she's always going to know that her mother thinks her hair is beautiful.

Kathian

Banned
Read my last post.

Blackface is not based etiqute; there's two versions of black face. 'black face' to mock; and blacking up which was actors blacking their faces rather than hiving he job to a person of ethnicity. I guess there's also racial ignorance but that's not black face as you can not black face by misunderstanding.

I've not heard many stories personally of adoption parents running around in grass skirts. You also identify in your OP and last post this is not comparable so am confused why the question needs posed.

You seem to have already known the answer.

Derwind

Some people need to take a step back, Royalan posed some valid questions. But thats what they were questions and feedback was giving. If there was a serious stance taken in this thread on something regarding precieved racism from that story, I havent seen it yet.

Calm them nerves.

royalan

Blackface is not based etiqute; there's two versions of black face. 'black face' to mock; and blacking up which was actors blacking their faces rather than hiving he job to a person of ethnicity. I guess there's also racial ignorance but that's not black face as you can not black face by misunderstanding.

I've not heard many stories personally of adoption parents running around in grass skirts. You also identify in your OP and last post this is not comparable so am confused why the question needs posed.

Note that "blackface" isn't the word I used. I was relating to the poster who was trying to understand my perspective. I even said that I didn't think it was that extreme. Racial ignorance might actually be more fitting.

Some people need to take a step back, Royalan posed some valid questions. But thats what they were questions and feedback was giving. If there was a serious stance taken in this thread on something regarding racism, I havent seen it yet.

Calm them nerves.

Thank you.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member

I'm the one who said blackface. OP was responding to me.

Point taken.

Damn. She sounds like a great mom going the extra mile to make her girl feel comfortable. Can't say I see anything wrong with that in the slightest.

Care to explain why?

"How can you be racist unintentionally? Let's bust out Dictionary.com here. Racism is explicitly defined as the intentional degradation or dismissal of a person or persons based on race, ethnicity, or nationality. Now you're going to tell me the dictionary is wrong?"

My first reaction: pretty sweet gesture.
My second reaction: Sometimes we think and worry too much.
My third reaction: Let the kids just deal with reality, like everybody else does.

But come on.. i wish more parents were involved at parenting like she is.

I think what that mother did is WAAAAAY better than the whole "sit down for 8 seconds and tell say...'hey your hair is awesome the way it as' as they're putting chemicals and other nonsense into it to make it more like the theirs (the adoptive parent)".

Pretty much.

Some people need to take a step back, Royalan posed some valid questions. But thats what they were questions and feedback was giving. If there was a serious stance taken in this thread on something regarding precieved racism from that story, I havent seen it yet.

Calm them nerves.

There's no serious stance in this thread on something regarding perceived racism because it is so obvious that OP's story is devoid of racism.

MrBadger

Unless acknowledging that black people and white people do have physical differences is racist, I don't see how this could be.

MrChom

So....she's changing herself to make her adopted kids feel more comfortable with who they are....that's actually pretty sweet. I can see how it might be intentionally misinterpreted, but personally it looks adorable from where I sit.

Ok, I understand the gesture and I don't think it's racist. In fact it's kind of nice of her to think that.

But isn't it kind of redundant since there's a much bigger difference that the mom can't really do anything about?

Though, that said, it was only in the last couple of years that I found out that black women often have hair extensions. Is it that big of an issue?

I say this as a guy who thinks afros are cool :[

edit: If I said something stupid, then I apologise.

Why is absolutely everything racist nowadays? This mother sounds fantastic. If she painted herself blackface along with the hair, sure, maybe that's a bit racist but it should be about intent first and foremost. Her intentions are pure, stop jumping to racism as your default stance.

Is this all that different than the father who wore dresses to help his transgender child? That's an honest question, btw.

It's a parent doing something to help their child feel normal in their own skin. I struggle to find it bad that a parent tries to help their child.

Sounds like a pretty thoughtful and loving mother, plus you only use the word racism when you want to end a discussion, not start one.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
she sounds like a racist monster, lets talk about it gaf.

absolutely nothing, the fact the OP thought it might possibly be racist and should raise it with GAF is bugging me quite hard. What a nice lady.

I agree. smh at the OP.

Shake-My-Head-Reaction-Gif.gif

royalan

Sounds like a pretty thoughtful and loving mother, plus you only use the word racism when you want to end a discussion, not start one.

No, you use the word racism when you think that people you're having the disussion with are capable of understanding nuance.

The idea that "racism" as a word can't be used unless you're trying to attack someone for a direct and intentionally hateful action is absurd, and that's the very thing that holds discussion back.

zeemumu

I don't really think that's all that racist, but you'd think her daughter would notice the difference in skin color before the hair...

Apt101

I think it's fine, and thoughtful. My brother is married to a woman from Trinidad, he's half white and Filipino like me. My nephews all have slightly curly and kinky hair, and my niece has extremely soft, buoyant "white hair" (as she calls it) - like her father. So, my brother shaves his head really short and my niece uses oils in hers to make it more like her mother's and brothers'. They both do it to either mask the differences or make their hair more like someone else's in the family.

One could say it's bad by not celebrating their diversity. But I think it's cute.

Derwind

There's no serious stance in this thread on something regarding perceived racism because it is so obvious that OP's story is devoid of racism.

Agreed, as my initial response reflects that but the outrage that the very question may have been brought up is where I differ from some in this thread. Its a valid question to ask because it stands to reason that our society is vast and diverse, the views shared would also be as complex and certain well meaning behaviours might not be interpreted kindly.

Yes the question obvious falls into that reasoning, which is why I differ with some in this thread.

The question didn't even make an accusation and the OP's opinion on the matter was that the action was sweet, the OP just wanted feedback on the specifics of the behaviour over whether or not it might have been unintentionally racist. Which the consensus is a flat out NO.

There is no need to find outrage in the exploring of someones actions whom you dont even know who wasn't even accused of anything inflammatory.

Well I think that just about covers anything I was ever really going to say on this thread. Also I'll preemtively say No I'm not outrage at the outrage over the question the OP raised, I'm confused at the response yes but nothing more.

LosDaddie

Banned
she sounds like a racist monster, lets talk about it gaf.

absolutely nothing, the fact the OP thought it might possibly be racist and should raise it with GAF is bugging me quite hard. What a nice lady.

Trying to connect with your adopted daughter with hair is unintentional racism? GAF plz

When in doubt

That's racist.

I think these threads are the reason that it's becoming more acceptable for people to say "why is everything racist these days"

Holy crap some people want to see racism in everything.

Yeah, I have to agree. The mother is just being awesome, and in no way racist. Very cool, loving gesture by the mom, in fact.

The OP seeing potential racism there might say more about him than anything else.

jackal27

Banned
Adorable. Parenting is weird and messy, especially in adoptive bi-racial families. This lady is doing her best and I'm sure her children appreciate it.

Why do you gotta bring up racism, OP? Maybe you're the real racist™!

/s

But seriously, more people should watch Good Hair.

ElFly

I initially misread the OP and thought the lady was artificially curling the hair of the little girl.

Now that I understood, gotta say that's p neat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom