• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, do you think this is unintentional racism, or thoughtful parenting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malyse

The amount of idiocy in this thread is astounding. You know, some psychologists say that the things that most offend you in other people are the traits that you see in yourself. Makes the fact that so many of you have such a harsh knee jerk reaction to the word "racist" rather enlightening...

E92 M3

Instead of trying to find out if she's racist, you should have been thinking how nice it is for her children. We should seek positivity by default.

Samara

Oh that's lovely of her. But what is she putting for it to happen? That must just as bad as for her daughter to try to ressemble her.

Malyse

Reading is not hard, thread was still created questioning her.
cucY7-cL.jpeg

And that's a different accusation than what was in your post that he responded to.
Reading is hard.

E92 M3

And that's a different accusation than what was in your post that he responded to.

Not really. I am looking at the final result. Yes, you had a positive reaction initially, but at the end of the day this thread was still created. Nothing complicated about that.

Either way there is no racism involved - just love. It takes a lot of love to adopt a child as it is.

Takuan

Blackhairing is and always has been a racist practice. She's a monster and should be ashamed of herself.

Thoughtful parenting.

I don't think it's racist, and even if it was, it's a very innocent thing to do.

I'm sure that she's aware that self-image problems are a problem that black girls and women face.
I think that her kind intentions are the most important thing here.
Though it might have been better to just tell her daughter than her hair is beautiful, and that it's okay to be different.
That we're all different and beautiful.

royalan

Not really. I am looking at the final result. Yes, you had a positive reaction initially, but at the end of the day this thread was still created.

Either way there is no racism involved - just love. It takes a lot of love to adopt a child as it is.
And my reaction, as I've made clear, is still positive. I have in no way attempted to demonize this woman. But there's nothing wrong with exploring the deeper implications in someone's actions. It's something that should be done more often.

As I said on the last page, this thread was just as much about me exploring why I got that negative tinge as it was posing the question to GAF.

E92 M3

And my reaction, as I've made clear, is still positive. I have in no way attempted to demonize this woman. But there's nothing wrong with exploring the deeper implications in someone's actions. It's something that should be done more often.

As I said on the last page, this thread was just as much about me exploring why I got that negative tinge as it was posing the question to GAF.

And as I said, questioning her even for a tinge is the wrong approach and think that we (humans) should seek positivity by default. There weren't any deeper implications besides what she told you. Overall, I find the desire to find deeper implications is a bad trend in today's society.

Either way, I am happy you're enlightened now. Maybe it's just my personality to seek the good in people. When someone makes a Jew jokes to me, I don't inherently think they have a certain disdain for Jews. I think they are not the best comedian.

ampere

See, If this woman did that, the conversation would likely end with: "EASY FOR YOU TO SAY MOM, YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND, because you have 'NORMAL' hair!"

It's one thing for a parent to say their child's hair is beautiful, it's another entirely to show that they think it's beautiful, by adopting the style themselves. I think the gesture makes the message all the stronger. Her little girl is going to know that their hair is different someday, but she's always going to know that her mother thinks her hair is beautiful.

Yea. Sounds like a good mom.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
My opinion of the situation in the OP itself is that the mother has good intentions and I want to say this is a sweet and harmless action for her to take. But at the same time I admit I don't fully know what the repercussions of that type of action (let me adopt this X to make her feel more comfortable) might be. And it is still sad and extremely terrible that this type of thing is necessary to even think about in 2015. That being how kids can be made to feel uncomfortable by other kids and even their own/other parents because of their race and everything that comes with it.

Roy asking the question isn't an affront and has sparked some interesting discussion, so I don't really feel the "OMG OP IS A MONSTER" type posts make any sense except showing how ignorant you are and your inability to discuss race without throwing a tantrum.

JDSN

Banned
Jesús guys learn to read a little, too quick to call The op a racist, no need to throw a fit over a simple argument.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
it's weird as fuck and over the top, but her heart is in the right place.

how is it weird as fuck? Women straighten or make their hair curly every day for no reason other than thats what they want that particular day. This women is doing it for a noble reason.

royalan

And as I said, questioning her even for a tinge is the wrong approach and think that we (humans) should seek positivity by default. There weren't any deeper implications besides what she told you. Overall, I find the desire to find deeper implications is a bad trend in today's society.

Either way, I am happy you're enlightened now. Maybe it's just my personality to seek the good in people. When someone makes a Jew jokes to me, I don't inherently think they have a certain disdain for Jews. I think they are not the best comedian.

It sounds like you think I literally questioned "her". My response to her was positive, even told her she could come to me for hair tips with her son.

I found the gesture on the part of the mother awesome. You can tell her heart is in the right place.

The amount of idiocy in this thread is astounding. You know, some psychologists say that the things that most offend you in other people are the traits that you see in yourself. Makes the fact that so many of you have such a harsh knee jerk reaction to the word "racist" rather enlightening...

One day I hope you will post in a race related discussion without being inflammatory, directly insulting, and sarcastic to anyone with a different opinion/whoever you are trying to correct. Maybe then they might actually listen to what you have to say, which may sometimes be a good point!

Malyse

I found the gesture on the part of the mother awesome. You can tell her heart is in the right place.

One day I hope you will post in a race related discussion without being inflammatory, directly insulting, and sarcastic to anyone with a different opinion/whoever you are trying to correct. Maybe then they might actually listen to what you have to say, which may sometimes be a good point!
Pity I don't give a damn about your insipid passive aggressive tone policing. Oh well, thems the breaks!

bengraven

Doesn't sound like the woman is doing it to trick her kid into thinking Mom is black, just to support her daughter like someone people who shave their heads for cancer folks.

I actually thought it sounded sweet.

FartOfWar

Banned
McBain stabs his finger at the audience and says maybe you all are racists too!

... Really OP?

Seems like a sweet thing to me. It apparently LOOKS great on her AND it helps the girl if she sees this important figure in her life that sports pretty curls.

How is that racist? People often times forget the definition of racism ...

LosDaddie

Banned
You know, I bet this mom is rocking the fuck out of this hairdo.

eh, check out the BCT. Apparently, many are ENRAGED by the word "racist" in this thread.

royalan

... Really OP?

Seems like a sweet thing to me. It apparently LOOKS great on her AND it helps the girl if she sees this important figure in her life that sports pretty curls.

Did I say it was racist? Did I accuse her off racism? I asked a question.

"How can you be racist unintentionally? Let's bust out Dictionary.com here. Racism is explicitly defined as the intentional degradation or dismissal of a person or persons based on race, ethnicity, or nationality. Now you're going to tell me the dictionary is wrong?"

... Really OP?

THERE IT IS

winningbingo.avi

Christopher

Seems like the thing to do recently.

I'm puzzeed to make the connection here

Raiden

Banned
Eh im sure you're a nice guy and all OP but for some reason it just bugs me that this is even a thread/question. What answers are you expecting anyway?

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
it's a beautiful gesture, shit she even sincerely told you so, what's to doubt about? don't be a paranoid, man

royalan

Eh im sure you're a nice guy and all OP but for some reason it just bugs me that this is even a thread/question. What answers are you expecting anyway?

I've answered this question 3 times already:

As I said earlier in this thread, my reaction (and what I said to her) was "that's awesome!" And regardless of what I ultimately think about her methods, I do think it's great that she's at least thinking of her daughter and her self-esteem. This thread is ultimately just as much about me exploring why I felt a negative tinge as it is posing the question to GAF.

And further, why is anything in OT a question/thread? The point is discussion. And it kind of astounds me that we'll have threads discussing the deeper meaning behind a tweet someone sent out about a Marvel film, or why a girl says "Thank You" when she's cumming, but ask about the potential deeper social implications of a woman physically changing to associate with her daughter, and the response "WHY DID YOU EVEN ASK???"

READ ROYALAN'S POSTS IN THIS THREAD BEFORE YOU POST

READ ALL OF THEM

If your immediate instinct is posting a knee-jerk "how is this racist in any way? Quit being paranoid, OP" or some variation thereof, you're contributing nothing to the discussion that hasn't already been covered fifty times over

Thoughtful parenting. Wish more people were like her.

It's not racist to acknowledge the differences between people. If anything, she's anti-racist because she's trying to show her daughter how similar we all are and show her acceptance.

theecakee

It didn't come across as unintentional racism to me, I don't know how it would shes just trying to match her physical traits.

It was a nice gesture, but kind of not worth it. I'm sure as she grows older, she'll still view her as her mother either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom