• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Electronic Music Project Thread (Resurrected Edition!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lil smoke

Banned
Mr Nash said:
Yeah, I've found GB to be a bit slow to get things done too. It's great for free stuff, but after using something like Live, it's difficult to go back.

lil smoke, were you going to be doing some of the mastering for this project? I wound up picking up Ozone the other day, so I figure I'll help out on that end. I've still got a lot to learn, but I can at least help to balance out / maximize the songs' volumes, and do some other minor tweaks. If we're both doing it, we can hammer out how we'll divide it up, what bit rates we want files in, etc.
I've been butchering my track over the last week in T-Racks Mastering suite, just trying to clean the mud off of it! I'd hate to screw up someone's track by trying to process it, but yeah if it's just applying a limiter for level gain, I can help too. So far, the tracks I've heard have had a decent level, but I guess we need to collectively decide how much the songs should be blasted. I would assume that everyone has already incorporated their own color and tone to their mix, so we would need to use the most transparent processor... probably Ozone, unless someone here is sporting some nice hardware! I don't know if any of you are familar with what happened with Bruce Springsteen's last album. It was crushed to a cringing distortion, for the sake of high level. Sounds like shit, but the song is #1. Go figure.

Anyway, I'm adding my reworked track. Again, it's not electronica, but I did try to get some video game sounds in there. I also tried to get some old school feel with the synth and various distortions.

http://www.soundclick.com/thereallilsmoke

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
lil smoke said:
I've been butchering my track over the last week in T-Racks Mastering suite, just trying to clean the mud off of it! I'd hate to screw up someone's track by trying to process it, but yeah if it's just applying a limiter for level gain, I can help too. So far, the tracks I've heard have had a decent level, but I guess we need to collectively decide how much the songs should be blasted. I would assume that everyone has already incorporated their own color and tone to their mix, so we would need to use the most transparent processor... probably Ozone, unless someone here is sporting some nice hardware! I don't know if any of you are familar with what happened with Bruce Springsteen's last album. It was crushed to a cringing distortion, for the sake of high level. Sounds like shit, but the song is #1. Go figure.

Anyway, I'm adding my reworked track. Again, it's not electronica, but I did try to get some video game sounds in there. I also tried to get some old school feel with the synth and various distortions.

http://www.soundclick.com/thereallilsmoke

Awesome! Great work.

Fusebox said:
Nice tune for a game SDZeta, very icy cavern indeed. The vibe even reminds me of my buddha machine a bit!

Ahhh thanks Fuse! Yeah I have to say the couple things I've made so far always ends up sounding like a videogame music haha, it's actually a good thing since I love VGMs. I didn't know about Buddha machines lol, that thing is pretty sweet! Saw some videos on youtube. :p

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Wait a sec, everyone is doing mastering separately? That's not really mastering.

The point is to have every track at a comparable volume relative to the mood of the track and placement on the album, as well as make sure there's no huge spectral mismatches/deficiencies between tracks, and choosing order of the tracks, choosing length of pauses between tracks in order to get the flow right, and a lot of other stuff. This isn't really possible if everyone is "mastering" separately.

Fusebox

Banned
Hey? Where did you get that idea, we have lil smoke doing end mastering for all tracks. I'll be doing all my own compression and mixdown so I expect them to manage the volume of my track, find its place on the album and little more.

Alright, this is just some stuff I toy around with, iam by no means a proffesional, I just do this for fun, but if you guys like any of my stuff, or want to use it, let me know, ill be happy to let you. BTW if you wanna use anything tell me, and ill come up with some real titles lol, I dont even know if you guys will even like it though. The stuff I make is kinda chill, I love chill electronica, ambient, stuff like that, anyways here. If you like ill post some more of my stuff.

http://www.savefile.com/download/1002109?PHPSESSID=b74b4210328a0ea43312345a738e8074

Ok this song is waaay chill, anyways, feedback is really appreciated, again, this isnt going to be everybodys type of electronica.

http://www.savefile.com/files/1165584

I put in a bunch of work on my track over the weekend, and it finally came together. A few more tweaks and it'll be ready for prime time. It's tough to get the mixdown right though, there's a lot of distortion effects and while the wall of fuzz vibe is semi-intentional, they're making different tracks mess with each other.

X5z said:
I have a question, what genre would my track fall under?

I dunno, kinda trancey, reminds me of old Orbital tracks.

lil smoke

Banned
well I'm glad someone bumped this back up from the basement!

Mastering all these tracks so that they all have a sonic balance is going to be DIFFICULT! I haven't really heard one track that I don't like, but they all have extremely particular sound fields. The tracks with the extreme higher end, and the tracks with sub freqs might have to lose a bit of dynamics, just so other mid-range songs don't get buried. Don't really know until the songs are analyzed on some different playback sources.

Amazing tracks though... the Out Run remix is so nostalgic, Mr Nash's songs are bright and energetic, RSTEIN has a dark experimental groovy sound, Scotch crackle -crazy, and was it Relaxor that had that sweet thick fuzzy synth sound? That was really nice! I haven't heard them all... not the latest, or the ones that had too many steps to download!

So Mr Nash, were you thinking of getting the MP3 or original AIFF/WAV for mastering?

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
lil smoke said:
Mastering all these tracks so that they all have a sonic balance is going to be DIFFICULT! I

Yeah, agree 100%... what will be equally important is the track order.

Pharmacy

Banned
i've just started working on my song now, its coming along nicely

one thing i've been thinking about is the release of the album, it ideally needs to be released in Gaming Discussion or else it won't get enough attention. It's a tribute to videogame music and since its around Christmas I'm sure the mods will allow it to be posted there

Agent Ironside said:
Im tryin to figure out what mine would fall under as well?

Alright, heres a quick thing I put together, might be more of the albums style, its a quick loop, and here is the my other songs streaming, made a quick myspace real quick. Id use work in progress 2 and "Are you out", anyways, id definitely like to be part of this.

http://www.savefile.com/files/1166628

http://www.myspace.com/djslev3n

I really like "Are You Out". I'm not an expert really so I don't know what else to say haha, but yeah that track is pretty simple and sweet.

Odrion

Banned
I have two pieces of electronic music I could donate to the album. One does work really well for a videogame track but it's only 1 1/2 minutes long and it was meant to bridge my canned album together.

But I would really like to make something new. I'll feel like I can properly rip off Nine Inch Nails now. If anything I'll try a track that symbolize the experience of playing a FPSer on a computer.

I'll call it F7THER F6ER

!!!

Oh wait, I need to get my sound card fixed. Hopefully I can tonight.

lil smoke

Banned
I've heard the rest of the songs. I'm liking everything. Some of you guys have professional sounding video game themes. I don't know how you do it!

Pretty good! It's strangely addictive. Once again I'm not an expert at all so I can't start coming out with big technical words, but yeah the snares are a bit loud and the part at 0:49 is very nice. I like the sort of old man moaning haha. I could really see that tune in a videogame actually, maybe in a sort of laboratory?!

alaria

I need a little help, if anyone knows what's going on here --

I'm making my song in Ableton Live 6.0. I went to render the project to disk, but for some reason, the first track (Audio 1, which is live recorded vocals) doesn't show up in the rendered .wav! What gives? Does anyone know why this would happen?

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
lil smoke said:
well I'm glad someone bumped this back up from the basement!

Mastering all these tracks so that they all have a sonic balance is going to be DIFFICULT! I haven't really heard one track that I don't like, but they all have extremely particular sound fields. The tracks with the extreme higher end, and the tracks with sub freqs might have to lose a bit of dynamics, just so other mid-range songs don't get buried. Don't really know until the songs are analyzed on some different playback sources.

Amazing tracks though... the Out Run remix is so nostalgic, Mr Nash's songs are bright and energetic, RSTEIN has a dark experimental groovy sound, Scotch crackle -crazy, and was it Relaxor that had that sweet thick fuzzy synth sound? That was really nice! I haven't heard them all... not the latest, or the ones that had too many steps to download!

So Mr Nash, were you thinking of getting the MP3 or original AIFF/WAV for mastering?

Yeah, I was thinking AIFF/WAV. We can convert them to MP3 afterward. We just need to agree on the bitrates and frequencies we want to receive the files at, and what bit rate we'll set the MP3s to. I'm not planning to go too terribly over the top with the mastering. Mostly just trying to level out the different tracks' volumes.

lil smoke

Banned
Timedog said:
What do you think of this? I'm not a musician, but an engineer, and I don't ever engineer this kind of music, sooooooo......

Timedog - Mod Power Abuse(beta)

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/32176_timedogmodpowerabusebeta.mp3

Snares too loud and I'm prolly gonna add some more parts, and add a few more notes in the watery sounding melody part, it sounds too basic.
Weird song! It takes a few bars, but then I got into that synth chord progression and I was liking it. That synth is very nice, but I thought those long sustains were a bit harsh.

Just an idea. If all the tracks could be loaded into one Soundclick page, it might be easier for everyone to hear all the tracks in succession and you guys can help decide on relative placement. Also if necessary, everyone could adjust their own mix levels in context with the other tracks. You never know what your own mix sounds like unless you compare it to something else.

That might bring everything closer together, possibly with little or no mastering... Either way, I think the collective might gel better.

edit: another thing you could do is vote on a reference song. Something everyone will download and gauge their track against dynamics and level wise.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
lil smoke said:
edit: another thing you could do is vote on a reference song. Something everyone will download and gauge their track against dynamics and level wise.

I think a reference song would be a good idea. That way we have a starting point to work from for all of this.

The project's name is G.A.M.E., so basically it will consist of electronic musics that could fit a videogame? Which wouldn't be surprising since it's a NeoGAF project, but I just need to make sure. Not like it would affect my track since it's an Ice Cave theme.

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
I think we're working from the assumption that there isn't a general theme, though a lot of people clearly have included influences from game music in their songs. Mine, for example, is inspired by what I remember Ridge Racer music sounding like, though I haven't played the game in ten years, so...yeah.

Mine should be done in a few hours, so I'll post it here when it's ready. Then maybe someone can give me tips on what I should be doing in regards to getting it for the compilation.

alistairw

Okay, it's more or less done, though I might remix the sound levels a little and keep pissing about with the EQ because, hey, who doesn't love that?

Anyways, it's up on the MySpace page: http://www.myspace.com/littlemaths

It's called OT Race Race because that's what the file was called when I started on it and I'm too stupid to think of something better. Tell me if you hate the name/the song/my guts. I'd really like that.

I think mine is done also. I tried making it longer but it didn't feel like it stayed as fresh throughout the tune like it does when it's shorter. I'll probably play around with it still though until the final date for submissions.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=768088&songID=5934458
Just realised it debuted at #61 in the Electronica subgenre :O lol not bad for my first track on soundclick.

Listened to your tune alistairw, it's quite unique! The first sample where he says to start the engines is a nice touch, though I have to admit some of the later samples might be a bit too much. But that's probably just me, and it's a minor thing anyways haha, so good job!

Odrion

Banned
Timedog said:
What do you think of this? I'm not a musician, but an engineer, and I don't ever engineer this kind of music, sooooooo......

Timedog - Mod Power Abuse(beta)

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/32176_timedogmodpowerabusebeta.mp3

Snares too loud and I'm prolly gonna add some more parts, and add a few more notes in the watery sounding melody part, it sounds too basic.
That's really nicely done. Wow.

What program did you use? For some reason I can't get fucking Fruityloops to keep a note held down.

Actually, does anyone have a good sample making/using program? Any good sample databases? Any good songs or albums to rip instruments from?

Odrion

Banned

alaria

http://oneblackrose.org/cc1.mp3

This is my song! I still need to fix it up a bit (you probably don't want to look at the waveform, it's a bit ugly right now), but this is my tribute to one of my favorite games, Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles. This isn't as "electronic" as some of the other songs I've heard in this thread, but it was done in full in Ableton Live 6.0, using a bunch of samples, free VST plugins, and me singing. I hope you like it!

Fusebox

Banned
Just had a listen, some nice ambient textures in there but the singing and melody were killing me, although that style of music isn't anything I'd listen to normally anyway so take my impressions with a massive pillar of salt.

I really liked it. The singing wasn't perfect but that was expected. It gets really good at the 0:48 mark for me. And I found the melody+instruments really nice!

Apart from the not perfect singing (but not horrible) and the intro up to 0:48, I really enjoyed it. I would also probably just cut that 2-3 seconds of silence at 3:42(I thought the song was over lol). Anyways, I can definitely see the CC influence, good job!

alistairw said:
Okay, it's more or less done, though I might remix the sound levels a little and keep pissing about with the EQ because, hey, who doesn't love that?

Anyways, it's up on the MySpace page: http://www.myspace.com/littlemaths

It's called OT Race Race because that's what the file was called when I started on it and I'm too stupid to think of something better. Tell me if you hate the name/the song/my guts. I'd really like that.

I like the sample usage and general ideas but that high pitched noise is killin my ears. I'd tone that down a bit myself but maybe I'm just being a pussy.

alistairw

I'll see what I can do to take the edge off a little.

SDZeta said:
I think mine is done also. I tried making it longer but it didn't feel like it stayed as fresh throughout the tune like it does when it's shorter. I'll probably play around with it still though until the final date for submissions.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=768088&songID=5934458
Just realised it debuted at #61 in the Electronica subgenre :O lol not bad for my first track on soundclick.

Listened to your tune alistairw, it's quite unique! The first sample where he says to start the engines is a nice touch, though I have to admit some of the later samples might be a bit too much. But that's probably just me, and it's a minor thing anyways haha, so good job!

Yeah, I was a little concerned about that. I could probably lose most/all of the Murray Walker samples, I think. I'll mess with the levels a bit - I've noticed a few problems through listening to it on the MySpace that weren't apparent in CoolEdit Pro - and rip some of the samples out, and then see what everyone thinks. I might even try and cut a minute out of it, because I feel like 5:47 is a little self-indulgent.

I really dig yours by the way. Love the drums and the pacing. It's cool.

And, wow, alaria. That's some pretty unexpected stuff! Nice one.

alistairw

I've made a few changes. The squealing is toned down - the sound is rounder now, so it shouldn't burst any ear drums. I've taken about a minute off it too, and chopped out some of the samples. Mostly the Murray Walker ones, because they were a little context-less. Big points if anyone can pick the guy getting interviewed at the end.

I've also lifted the level of the hand claps, because I felt like they were getting lost in the mix a bit. Now I'm worried they might be a bit high, but...eh. Hope this fixes the problems people had spotted.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Timedog - I like that track. It has a really nice laid back, fun feeling to it.

alaria - I think the song sounds great. It totally sounds like something that I'd expect to hear in an RPG.

Sonki.

Banned
update from FightyF

FightyF said:
Just wanted to give some constructive (hopefully) criticism from my perspective on the posted tracks, because I think that any sort of feedback is useful for my music, and I'm glad to see this thread develop into that sort of thing. But unfortunately since I'm banned I'm gonna have to sum up everything into a megapost.

Before I say anything, I just wanna put a disclaimer, I'm no expert and I'm only giving my perspective. I could be completely wrong. But I think that ANY sort of feedback is useful, which is why I'm posting this...again, my perspective is heavily influenced by my own taste in music! Some of the stuff I say is as if I was making the track myself and what I would do instead because I think it could sound better, and I'd try it, and I'd see if it does or doesn't. Again, I could be dead wrong. Also, some of it may seem very positive, the reason for this is because I think that even things done right need feedback, so the musician knows what to keep doing. From the choice of a particular sound to the layout of a track, we as musician know how much time we spent deliberating on these seemingly small things. So it's not like I'm sucking up to anyone, I just think that proper feedback is all about what I like and dislike about a particular track. Anyways, with that disclaimer out of the way. :)

Mr Nash (Phantom remix): Good ever-changing interesting progressive structure, good wall of sound, enough of the original song to see that it's a remix. There was one thing I wanted to comment on that I noted when I first heard it, but listening to it again, I can't think of any suggestions, great track. Oh yeah (listened again), the crazy bassline from 0:10 to 0:25 doesn't really fit, though it does sound awesome. Maybe if you reduced its levels at that specific part, it would fit better. To me it sticks out a little too much. Y'know if you applied some sidechaining it would sound real jumpy with that crazy bassline (side chaining is now my solution to everything :p j/k).

lil smoke (luigi world): I wouldn't get hung up on it sounding electronicy enough, I sorta regret my wording when I originally talked about this project. The thing is, pretty much all modern music is done on the computer, so I wanted to distinguish between bands/hiphop acts and producers/composers. Don't feel pressured into adding anything you don't feel comfortable with. That said, I think the blips and bloops you added really help the track. It's an integral part of the percussion. Even though I don't usually listen to this sort of music, I like the track. I can't really comment on how the track is laid out in terms of structure, because this sort of music isn't what I usually listen to, it's very different from what I'm used to so I can't give you valuable feedback on that, hopefully someone else can comment on it.

SDZeta (inside a mysterious icy cavern): You got a very dreamy song fit for an "ice world", I think the bass sticks out because it cuts off abruptly, rather than decaying slowly. Your percussion has reverb, same with the lead melodies. I think the bass instrument should decay to match the rest. I love the sound you used for the bass btw. Again as I said earlier, I could be dead wrong, it could be that if you add some release to the bass that it would bunch up and get muddy. Other than that, great job. The song structure, sounds used, and levels/eq sounded great to me.

Agent Ironside (QWEQWR and movie): At first I thought the kick had too strong of an attack (too much pop), but when I heard the bass come in, it fit into the mix perfectly, I like how everything in the track fits and it creates a unique wall of sound. Great track. The only thing I can think of, is just before 2:54 when the percussion hits again, maybe a build up whoosh or something just before it? To be honest that percussion kinda blindsided me when I was entranced by that section, but maybe that's just me. So I think a gentle buildup would kinda prepare people (if others feel the same) for that. In movie, you have a little bit of unwanted distortion with the bassdrum colliding with the bassline, from what I hear on my headphones. Compression would help, or even sidechain compression (there's a link to a tutorial in the OP) would do the trick, so that both can coexist at max volumes. Other than that, another great track!

X5z (NeoGAF project): Thanks for posting the earlier, I find it interesting the twists and turns a song takes. I thought that the song was missing a bit in the low-midrange. You have a deep bassdrum, and a lot of bright instruments, with little in the middle. It fills out more at a minute, but then gets "tinny" again. Then at 2:20 it gets more full. In your version 4, it does sound more fuller because the synth you used is more in the midrange. Maybe incorporate that synth in your newer version to flesh out the wall of sound more? Other than that, I liked the structure and it's catchy. I'm guessing your still working on it, as it's a bit short? I didn't want the song to end when it did. :)

Timedog - Mod Power Abuse (LOL @ changed handle and title of track): Hey I think the melody of the watery sounding part was just right, personally I don't think it needs to get more complicated than that, from my perspective. I love how it starts (heck, I think it'd make an interesting start to the whole disc...though in reality that all depends on what other tracks we get and we want a good flow), can't wait to hear the finished product.

alistairw (OT Race Race): I'm listening to the revamped one, I like the changes to the claps...it is a teeny weeny bit loud, but they did need to come out stronger so it was a good thing to make them louder. That screech at 1:48 comes out of nowhere and is a bit too loud for it to be 'surprising' and turns out to be 'jarring'. One thing you can do is start that sample at a low volume and have it build up in volume relatively quickly. You can edit that sample in Audacity to do that...it'll make it less jarring but still surprising. When you have that clip playing...maybe you can take words like "destroyed" by themselves and have them echo (quieter) on beat to make it sound cooler, same with the clip used at 2:56. Some of the other sound clips are mixed in a little too loud IMO. But they do a good job of adding variety, so I think you should definitely keep them in. There's a part from 3min to 3:30 or so where it gets minimalistic, I think you need more variation in the percussion at that point, because everything else is gone and the focus is on the percussion. Anyways, those are things I would do, again, I really don't want to be sounding like an know it all expert because I'm not. It's just things that I would do differently. But I think I'm not the only one who thinks that part at 1:48 can scare people out of their chairs heheh.

Odrion: For this project, we would need original pieces specifically made for this. But if you would like to remake on of your older tracks, go for it! As far as proggys go, Modplug Tracker is a good free sample based sequencer. I use BUZZ, but you can't learn it in a week though, takes a lot of time. As far as samples go, there are some massive sample sites out there, I don't have any bookmarked, but search google and you can find some good ones. One of the best sites is called VIP Zone, just google it. I'm too lazy to do it for you. :p Oh and I did listen to your songs, I thought that aciDREEM really needed some hihats in the percussion, because you need something bright for all the bass you got in there. I liked the structure of it, you got breaks in there when you need it, and then it goes back into it full force again. Anyways, like I said, I would have added some hats to the percussion, that could be just me and the way I like how my songs sound. Walk Around was great, good job.

alaria (CC1): Don't worry about it not being electronicy enough, as I said earlier I'm sorry for being poor in my description of what would be constituted as 'electronic' or not. The composition and structure is great. Very full sounding, great wall of sound...though it does seem to distort when lots of things are happening, to solve that you'll need some compression on the whole mixdown. As far as the singing goes, it seems that you applied some compression on that alone, am I right? IMO, the vocals need to be a bit brighter (boost in higher eq range) and maybe a bit more reverb applied to them (if it already has some). I'm not saying it should be super echoey or reverby, just a tiny bit of added delay+reverb does a lot for vocals. Other than that, excellent track.

About posting this in the game forum, that brings up a good point. Personally I'm thinking a sticky (but I think a post in there would be an excellent idea) in the gaming forum won't fly, but one in the OT forum would, and I think there's tons of people who check out the OT, so we should have no shortage of listeners. Getting the sticky is the (hard but) important part.

As far as mastering goes, I like the idea of a reference track to help us all out. And then we can send it to the engineers to simply work on the levels of all the tracks making sure they are around similar volume levels. As far as track order goes, I think it would be interesting to get a DJ on it. I would be down for this position, if no DJ takes the reigns. Anyways, reference track is a really good idea.

As far as what I'm working on, I decided to do a remix of my "NES race song" that I posted here long ago (long story short: I found some wav samples of NES's synth, and was inspired to make a song in literally 15 minutes). If you want to hear the original, head to: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=102360 and choose "NES race song".

Originally I wanted to incorporate captive's guitar playing abilities and Kinesis's rapping abilities, but I got real busy and with the deadline approaching I decided to forego that as it would take some time, which is a shame I think it could have been awesome. Anyways, I started something 3 weeks ago, then got busy again, and only recently revisited it as my midterms were done. Sorry this is livejournal stuff heheh, I'll get to the point:

I originally wanted to share the experience of making a song from my own perspective, to compare it with other people's method. So I saved different files for each major change I made to the song. Because I'm banned, I can't really share it in the manner I planned to months ago, so I'll just post a bit of what I have now...

It's a rough "outline" of my current song structure, nothing set in stone. The whole point is to make sure everything sits right in the "wall of sound".

http://www.punkistan.com/nrxic/GAFsongwav1.mp3

One of the harder things to do was get the guitars sitting right in the mix. I would like them to be a bit brighter but I don't want to enhance all the dirty distortion.

Also, I don't think I introduce the main melody properly, I also have to extend that portion a bit more. And I was playing with the filter knob, in the final song it should have more rhythm.

And the song is called Fight for Freeform :p Well, coz it is freeform, kinda.

As always, thanks to Mr Nash keeping this alive, relevant and bumped :D

pixelated

fightyF

I like that guitar you use in your demo. What vst or buzz machine (i doubt it) are you using?

I'm not too sure if I'm sold on the heavy compression of the mix.

alaria

Thanks for your responses!

Yeah, my voice has been just going, change of seasons and all. I'm going to keep re-recording it until it works, damnit :p Or, I might just make the vocal line instrumental to save myself the trouble :)

Alright, my entry's basically done. Finally got all the levels pretty much right and sounding like I wanted. As I mentioned previously there are a ton of distortion effects, so any reverb/fuzziness is there because it's supposed to be - ie., that's what the instrument normally sounds like.

Everything's original, built from the ground up note for note, just about all of the instruments are custom jobs. There are a couple of blank spaces in the beginning/end at the moment because I plan to add vocal samples in the next week or so, but I may ditch the idea if it doesn't work the way I want it to.

Track's called Moonless Dawn, it can be found here -

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=769569

If you have to pin it on a game, it's inspired by Nobunaga's Ambition. Any opinions/advice are welcome!

Agent Ironside (QWEQWR and movie): At first I thought the kick had too strong of an attack (too much pop), but when I heard the bass come in, it fit into the mix perfectly, I like how everything in the track fits and it creates a unique wall of sound. Great track. The only thing I can think of, is just before 2:54 when the percussion hits again, maybe a build up whoosh or something just before it? To be honest that percussion kinda blindsided me when I was entranced by that section, but maybe that's just me. So I think a gentle buildup would kinda prepare people (if others feel the same) for that. In movie, you have a little bit of unwanted distortion with the bassdrum colliding with the bassline, from what I hear on my headphones. Compression would help, or even sidechain compression (there's a link to a tutorial in the OP) would do the trick, so that both can coexist at max volumes. Other than that, another great track!

Thanks for the feedback. Again im an amateur so Id prolly need help on the compression bit, or at least some noob explaining.

lil smoke

Banned
great post FightyF.

I was thinking some of the exact same things you mentioned in your critiques of some of the tracks. This type of dialouge is good for everyone. Will listen to the other tracks when I get a chance. When everything is complete and submitted, I'll try and take the time to give some indepth opinion as well.

lol quite the big post Fighty. Alright so yeah, I did try to add more decay and for some reason it didn't sound good at all during some parts of the music. In your exact words it bunched up a bit too much and sounded muddy.
Oh and btw, the bass I used is actually a very low french horn haha, it did the trick well enough. :)

Thanks for the critiques!

LiveFromKyoto said:
Alright, my entry's basically done. Finally got all the levels pretty much right and sounding like I wanted. As I mentioned previously there are a ton of distortion effects, so any reverb/fuzziness is there because it's supposed to be - ie., that's what the instrument normally sounds like.

Everything's original, built from the ground up note for note, just about all of the instruments are custom jobs. There are a couple of blank spaces in the beginning/end at the moment because I plan to add vocal samples in the next week or so, but I may ditch the idea if it doesn't work the way I want it to.

Track's called Moonless Dawn, it can be found here -

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=769569

If you have to pin it on a game, it's inspired by Nobunaga's Ambition. Any opinions/advice are welcome!

nice work... definitely has an oriental sound to it which is really cool.

Banned
Cool thread! I might get up in this bitch! I gots;

Minimoog (1972)
Casio SK1
Yamaha RX21
Boss DR660
Jomox Xbase 09
Elektron Sidstation
Roland SH101 (blue)
MS20 (borrowed)
MicroKorg
Akai S2000
Matrix 1000
and run it all into Logic Pro 8.

I did have on loan from friends in a biiig band full of famous whilst on tour;

Roland 808
Roland 909
Roland 303
Roland 606
Roland 727
Sixtrak
Drumtraks
MS10
Jupiter 6
Juno 106
and a whole bunch of other shit I can't remember right now. It was like a classic synth museum!

Anyway, I might put a few tracks up, have been writing in Mario Paint quite a bit lately, funnily enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom