• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF explain the X-Men movie universe timeline?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I know this might be a big ask, but can someone help me with the X-Men movies and what's what post DoFP?

Are the First 3 X-Men movies basically stuck in alternate universe timeline now? Is DoFP basically a total reset? What about the first 2 Wolverine movies? Are they alt timeline too? What timeline is Logan in?

What about the mutants? I mean Nightcrawler was all new guy in X2, but I assume that is other timeline since he was fucking all up in Apocalypse. Ditto with Quick being all up in the movies now, but not in the original 3 movies.

Can someone else sort all of this shit out for me? Also where do we go from here?

Canon timeline doesn't include the first three films at all any more. It's just First Class, Days of Future Pants and then Apocalypse, with the Phoenix movie to follow next year, I believe.

Corpekata

Banned
You're looking at it all wrong, especially with Logan.

Trying to sort out the canon in their clusterfuck of a timeline right now is worthless because the people behind them don't care very much. That's why Logan worked, because all you really need to know about is Wolverine's general story, and the basics of the X-men and Xavier. Not being beholden to timelines and canon beyond the very basics has resulted in some of the best stuff in the franchise lately. This is a series that resurrected a popular character with no real explanation beyond an after credits scene that was vague AF.

Mv8KmHe.jpg

Logan goes at the end of the timeline on the left fork.

Viewt

Universe A
- X-Men: First Class
- X-Men: Days of Future Past (70s scenes up until Logan goes back in time)
- X-Men Origins: Wolverine
- X-Men
- X2
- X-Men 3: The Last Stand
- The Wolverine
- X-Men: Days of Future Past (future scenes)

The timeline splinters at the point where Logan goes back in time to prevent the dystopian future where the sentinels are killing all of the mutants.

Universe B
- X-Men: Days of Future Past (70s scenes after Logan goes back in time)
- X-Men Apocalypse
- New movies that Fox is making now
- X-Men: Days of Future Past (happy ending)
- Deadpool
- Logan (presumably)

The way I see it

First Class --> DOFP (70s Scenes) --> Apocalypse --> Untitled Phoenix Film --> X-Men Origins: Wolverine --> X1 --> X2 --> X3 --> The Wolverine --> DOFP (Future Scenes) --> [TIMELINE ALTERED/EVERYTHING IS NORMAL] --> Deadpool --> Logan --> New Mutants

Gifted and Legion happen somewhere in between The Wolverine and Deadpool.

I know this might be a big ask, but can someone help me with the X-Men movies and what's what post DoFP?

Are the First 3 X-Men movies basically stuck in alternate universe timeline now? Is DoFP basically a total reset? What about the first 2 Wolverine movies? Are they alt timeline too? What timeline is Logan in?

What about the mutants? I mean Nightcrawler was all new guy in X2, but I assume that is other timeline since he was fucking all up in Apocalypse. Ditto with Quick being all up in the movies now, but not in the original 3 movies.

Can someone else sort all of this shit out for me? Also where do we go from here?

FC
Original DOFP Past
Origins
The Wolverine ..........................................FC
DOFP (Present/Future) ---------------------> DOFP (Past)
..................................................................Apocalypse
..................................................................New Mutants, Dark Phoenix, etc...

Over Here in nebulous who gives a fuck space: Deadpool, Logan

So we're in new universe but new universe exists because of everything that happened in first universe

Blader

First Class -> DOFP (70s) -> Apocalypse -> Deadpool -> DOFP (ending) -> Logan

The other movies as presented have been erased, though parts of them seemingly exist in the new timeline in some way (e.g. Logan still went to Japan, but it would have been under different circumstances).

I'm not sure why people think it's such a clusterfuck...you had a bunch of movies, then a movie about time travel that ends with history being changed, and now you have new movies set in that newly created history. There's also no 'alternate timeline.' In DOFP, whenever the past is changed, the present/future is erased and replaced with a new present/future. It's all one timeline.

It all takes place in Hypertime, so none of it matters and it can change from movie to movie.

Logan is its own alternate timeline. So is Deadpool. Don't try to make them fit, it doesn't work.

Just have the movies you like be a part of the timeline. That's what I do with this franchise

It's a revolutionary concept from fox with their xmen properties called "figure it out yourself we gave up"

Bladers works too tho.

PixelatedBookake

Logan was an alternate timeline in the future of the first 3 X-Men movies and the Wolverine spin-offs. The first 3 movies are an alternate timeline from the First Class timeline. I think at first it was supposed to be a prequel, but it turned into its own thing.

Platy

It is the best adaptation of a comic timeline ever made.

It is a mess, characters are in the two places art the same time and changing one thing in the past means the writter has free reign for everything past that point

Eggbok

The timeline is just a mess.

In X3 Trask is a black man, The Wolverine happens after X3 which ends with Trask revealing the sentinels leading to Days of Future Past. In Days of Future Past they go back in time and Trask is now white and half the size he was in X3.

X:Men Origins Wolverine ends with Xavier walking and saving the kids including a young teenage Emma Frost. X-Men: First Class takes place before X;Men Origins but Emma Frost is like 30 years old.

So basically there is no timeline, the shit makes no sense lol.

adj_noun

It all started when Wolverine

Then Wolverine

All seemed well, but Wolverine

Suddenly, Wolverine

Finally, at long last, Wolverine

kurahador

Logan was an alternate timeline in the future of the first 3 X-Men movies and the Wolverine spin-offs. The first 3 movies are an alternate timeline from the First Class timeline. I think at first it was supposed to be a prequel, but it turned into its own thing.

Nah...Logan seems like an alternate timeline where only one event happen -- the event being the 2nd movie most likely.

Blader

We already saw what happened to that timeline in DOFP: everybody was killed by Sentinels and the universe was deleted out of existence.

First Class -> DOFP (70s) -> Apocalypse -> Deadpool -> DOFP (ending) -> Logan

The other movies as presented have been erased, though parts of them seemingly exist in the new timeline in some way (e.g. Logan still went to Japan, but it would have been under different circumstances).

I'm not sure why people think it's such a clusterfuck...you had a bunch of movies, then a movie about time travel that ends with history being changed, and now you have new movies set in that newly created history. There's also no 'alternate timeline.' In DOFP, whenever the past is changed, the present/future is erased and replaced with a new present/future. It's all one timeline.

I wouldn't put Logan as a guarantee of being in the post DOFP happy ending universe. It is basically its own thing.

Well you see, there was one timeline, but then Fox said "Our actors are getting too old and writing in a box is boring. Fuck it." So then there was a second timeline that only loosely correlated with the first. But then an executive somewhere said, "You know what would be fun? Having the old actors and the new actors in the same movie. Fuck it!" So then they mashed the timelines together. And then time passed in-universe until it really started clashing with established events and they said "Fuck it, dude. Let's go bowling." Then James Mangold saw the mess and said, "Hold my beer."

And that's the X-men movie timeline.

Fuck it.

border

Yeah, I don't get what is so hard to understand.

The events of Days of Future Past reset everything. Everything after DOFP is a new timeline. The events of all previous films (excluding First Class) have been obliterated.

The only movies in the new continuity are DOFP and Apocalypse. It's kind of impossible to determine where Logan and Deadpool fit in.....it's probably better to think of them as standalone Elseworlds stories.

You can sit around and look for inconsistencies or unexplained changes between the two timelines, but at the end of the day you just have to remember that everything was thrown out by the writers and they aren't really trying to make the two timelines congruous.

Lol, no. There's no way Fox is leading their current franchise to the depressing future of Logan.

They already did.

I mean, it doesn't really matter - they obviously don't give that much of a fuck about continuity (and their two most successful X-Men movies recently prove that much) but they're basically filling in details on the leftmost fork of that image I posted upthread.

The depressing future of Logan is the end of the best timeline.

At least until they make an X-23 movie.

Logan has a completely different Caliban, for one thing. Different actor, different personality, different accent, weakness not mentioned in Apocalypse, more tragic backstory. He also should be 70 something if it was the same one, clearly isn't.

border

Lol, no. There's no way Fox is leading their current franchise to the depressing future of Logan.

It's all going to have to be hard-rebooted at some point, since they will need to cast another person as Wolverine. It seems pretty clear that interest in X-Men movies drops by about 30% without Wolvie around.

They are going to dick around with Deadpool and Cable for a few years, probably trying to distance those characters from current X-continuity. X-Men Dark Phoenix will flop, and they will have an excuse to start over completely. New Prof. X, new Wolverine, new Magneto, new everything.

Unit 33

Imagine a box full of tangled Christmas Tree lights; some of them are continuous cables, but many are simply misplaced scart cables.

hotcyder

Logan has a completely different Caliban, for one thing. Different actor, different personality, different accent, weakness not mentioned in Apocalypse, more tragic backstory.

Not to mention the fact that Bovilar Trask changed from Peter Dinklage in the 1970s (DOFP) to Bill Duke in the 2000s (X3)

They already did.

I mean, it doesn't really matter - they obviously don't give that much of a fuck about continuity (and their two most successful X-Men movies recently prove that much) but they're basically filling in details on the leftmost fork of that image I posted upthread.

The depressing future of Logan is the end of the best timeline.

At least until they make an X-23 movie.

Meh I'll believe that when the timelines actually meet up... right now Logan takes places somewhere but not necessarily in the new universe.

SO, after reading all the posts, the movie universe timeline is much, much less convoluted than just about any comics timeline, and make as much sense. I can handle it. Time to watch the movies I missed, maybe rewatch others.

Top Bottom