• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF FOTY 2013-Fail Of The Year-Results- Winner of the 2013 shit sandwich goes to...

The xbox result is dumb. How is it really a fail if they actually changed the policy? People just can't let go.
Microsoft certainly can't let go of their dreams when they release statements saying: the public simply weren't ready for our vision of entertainment's future.

Sorry but Microsoft deserves this for making it past the brain storming phase.

Microsoft certainly can't let go of their dreams when they release statements saying: the public simply weren't ready for our vision of entertainment's future.

Sorry but Microsoft deserves this for making it past the brain storming phase.
Like it or not, it's the way video games will go, eventually. It's not MIcrosoft's vision alone. It's just the path that technology is taking us.
It's not only DRM, it's the way MS handled their PR and all the mixed messages that came across all the way up until launch.
I can agree with this. The communication was awful.

Eusis

The xbox result is dumb. How is it really a fail if they actually changed the policy? People just can't let go.
Then it's a PR failing, because it damaged the brand, turned many people against Microsoft (while seemingly turning a few supporters completely insane), and still needs to be clarified to those that sell it. And so far seems to have left a notable impact on console sales, though other factors like the system being weaker and just being more expensive don't help... but then that's part of why the whole handling of the Xbox One in general in every regard was a monumental failure.

Really, the DRM reversal was the airbag that came out to keep Xbox from DYING in that crash, or at least avoid more serious injuries, but they still crashed.

EDIT: Also note that the voting was semi-informal, many people probably did vote Xbox One more for screwing up in general, the DRM fiasco was just the crown jewel even with reversals.

Gaming Journalism-1

Surprising considering the amount of negative threads journalism had thi year on gaming-side GAF

We only got one vote each, so it got passed over in favour of the fuck ups those journalists were desperately trying to defend. I'm sure if we had had three votes it would've skyrocketed up into the top 3 or 4 spots.

Eusis

Yes something that never actually happened is worse than broken shit that actually sold to people.
What Microsoft wanted to do had a higher chance of affecting the game industry at large. Seemed to me Diablo screwed up with its own always online stuff and EA failed to catch the memo, and BF4 is just a more extreme case of a rushed, buggy release but not really anything particularly new. And in both cases pretty much only affect you if you buy those specific games, it's harder to avoid a whole platform than just those games.

Really, if Microsoft DID do it and WAS fully successful they would've forced everyone in a direction that we may not like and frankly aren't actually THERE technologically to deal with I think. All it'd have taken was Sony deciding to do similar rather than boast about not doing it and we probably would've been locked in for sure. Even with the reversals that indicates Microsoft monumentally screwed up in reading the market, and while a PR debacle I think people place too much faith in better messaging: there probably either would have been no effect, or they'd be sneaky about it up until release and really pissing people off. Many of us understood fully what it entailed and did not fucking want it. Period.

Shin-Ra

Microsoft's gone quiet on those plans but they've done little to convince anyone they don't still believe in them. We know from the gradual ramp up of advertisement space in the various iterations of the 360 dash that if not enough people complain, MS will see just how much further they can push it.

All we know is the pushback and preorders around E3 was enough to stop them.

antitrop

I voted for Xbone DRM, obviously, but Games Journalism is my runner up. Kuchera's "Fart in the Wind" alone is worthy of representing the 2013 fail that was gaming journalism.

The Lamp

Take the trophy, Microsoft. You and your console deserve it. :lol

The fact they changed their policy means nothing to me. I still have no interest in the Xbone. They insulted their customers and keep doing so even within the past couple of months.

Full Results-

Xbone-203
Sim CIty-20
EA-19
Wii U-5
BF4-4
OUYA-3
Alien Colonial Maries-3
Adam Orth-2
Pre-ordering-1
Bioshock Infinite-1
Gender Harassment-1
Richard Leadbetter-1
Sony 1st Party line up-1
Frame rate Abomination-1
Gaming Journalism-1

pgi67jrc.gif

Laughed out loud that one lone voice seriously voted for Sony first party.

Agree with winner though. Well deserved award for clusterfuck: the console.

It was my vote and referred to the PS4 1st party lineup, all two games:

Knack
Killzone

55 and 74 on Metacritic respectively. People are buying the console despite the 1st party lineup, not because of it. MS' isn't any better but they have a couple of 3rd parties to make up the difference, I guess.

Top Bottom