• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games o' the Year Voting Thread 2008

paparazzo

1. Metal Gear Solid 4
2. LittleBigPlanet
3. Burnout Paradise
4. Far Cry 2
5. Wipeout HD
6. GTA IV

But there's still some 08 games I've yet to play.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
1. Sonic Unleashed
Yes, I like it this much ^^"
2. Mario Kart Wii
3. Wario Land Shake
4. Banjo-Kazooie Remake
Just because it's only a remake. I love it most of all games in this list but it's not a perfect port (added framerate hickups are disturbing)
5. Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts
6. Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Trials &Tribulations
7. Apollo Justice Ace Attorney
8. Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn
9. NiGHTS 2
10. Super Smash Bros. Brawl

EDIT: I'm from Germany (as in: PAL-land)

Sanjay

UK

1. Left 4 Dead
2. Fallout 3
3. Lost Odyssey
4. Motorstorm: Pacific Rift
5. Little Big Planet
6. God of War: Chains of Olympus
7. Grand Theft Auto IV
8. Mass Effect (PC)
9. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
10. Mario Kart Wii

bj00rn_

Banned
1. Grand Theft Auto IV
2. Gears of War 2
3. Dead Space
4. Fallout 3
5. Fable II
6. Braid
7. Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2
8. Mirror's Edge
9. Far Cry 2

mr stroke

1.MGS4
2.Left 4 Dead
3.Burnout Paradise
4.Gears of War 2
5.Red Alert 3
6.Warhammer Age of Rekoning
7.Midnight Club LA
8.Madden 09
9.COD WAW
10.Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2

Haven't gotten a chance to get to-LBP, Deadspace, or Persona 4 yet :(

Mets39

Okay, let's do it!

1) Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

2) LittleBigPlanet

3) Gears Of War II

4) Fable II

5) Devil May Cry 4

6) Ratchet & Clank: Quest for Booty

7) Grand Theft Auto IV*

That's all i can think of, but there still a lot of 2008 games i need to play such as Valkyria Chronicles, Naruto: Rise of a Ninja, Prince Of Persia, Tomb raider ...

* GTA is the only game in my top that i havent finished (blah no i lied, there is also LBP but this one is particular :p ). Game is long and i don't have the motivation but i liked what i've played which is really surprising for me since i didn't enjoy any of the last gen GTA!

That's it :)

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
1. Fallout 3
2. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
3. Braid
4. Bully: Scholarship Edition
5. Gears of War 2
6. Super Smash Bros. Brawl
7. Castle Crashers
8. Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts
9. Tales of Vesperia
10. Rock Band 2

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Kuroyume said:

33nkklw.gif

Tabris

TheExodu5 said:
Whoa, Valkyria is in the top 10? FUCK YEAH!

I've only played up to chapter 9 but god damn the story is bad. Valkyria had the most cringe-worthy moment in a video game this generation with "Hans, the flying pig" who "won the battle for the team".

Gameplay is fun though.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Tabris said:
I've only played up to chapter 9 but god damn the story is bad. Valkyria had the most cringe-worthy moment in a video game this generation with "Hans, the flying pig" who "won the battle for the team".

Gameplay is fun though.

That's the reason it didn't make my top 10. Don't forget goat droppings.

bycha

Europe

1. Rock Band.
2. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
3. Little Big Planet
4. Braid
5. Fable II
6. Gears of War 2
7. Resistance 2
8. Dead Space
9. Grand Theft Auto IV
10. Valkyria Chronicles

Citizen K

Europe

1. Fallout 3
2. Left 4 Dead
3. FIFA 09
4. No More Heroes
5. Gears of War 2
6. Grand Theft Auto IV
7. Fable II
8. Little Big Planet
9. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

dejan

01. Mass Effect PC
04. Crysis Warhead
06. Motorstorm Pacific Rift
09. Far Cry 2

Didn't get Valkyria Chronicles in time, but I'm pretty sure it would have been in my Top 5. Loved the demo.

nilay

in no paticular order well kind of in a proper order

1. left 4 dead
2. mario kart wii
3. castlevania order of ecclesia
4. lost odyssey
5. super smash bros
6. fallout 3
7. dragon quest 4
8. professor layton
9. final fantasy 4
10. final fantasy tactics a2

im from the uk and get some of the games late

1) Metal Gear Solid 4 : Guns of the Patriots
2) Resistance 2
3) Dead Space
4) Fallout 3
5) Prince of Persia
6) Burnout Paradise
7) Far Cry 2
8) LittleBigPlanet
9) NHL 09
10) Mirror's Edge

AppleBlade

1. Fallout 3
2. Grand Theft Auto IV
3. The Witcher: Enhanced Edition
4. Resistance 2
5. Wipeout HD
6. Bioshock (PS3)
7. No More Heroes
8. Okami (Wii)
9. Bully: Scholarship Edition
10. Rockband 2

Neiteio

1. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
2. Warhawk (Expansions: Broken Mirror and Fallen Star)
3. BioShock (PS3)
4. Super Smash Bros. Brawl
5. Okami (Wii)
6. Soulcalibur IV
7. de Blob
8. Boom Blox
9. Mario Kart Wii
10. Pure

LittleBigPlanet just misses the Top 10. I haven't played it much yet, but the controls and the way you switch between foreground and background is finicky and difficult for me to get comfortable with. It drives me crazy that they put so much work into the design elements and so little into the controls. I don't know, I guess I'm spoiled by Ninty.

On the other end of the spectrum, MGS4 blew me away, and for a number of reasons:

- You can beat the game without killing a single person. THIS IS AWESOME. Sneaking around, grabbing unsuspecting guards and spiking their heads into the ground like some old mustachioed Batman, then hiding their unconscious bodies in a shed is AMAZING. Aiming a sniper rifle and hearing the satisfying thwip of a tranquilizer round hitting a distant target and watching him fall instantly asleep is AMAZING. Blasting away foes with non-lethal rounds from a pump-action shotgun and knocking the air out of them so that they fall unconscious is the most kickass act of pacifism I've ever seen. Call me a pansy, but it was such a nice change of pace to have the option to beat the game bloodlessly. And you're rewarded for it, unlocking a number of items at the end!

- The story is amazing. My only prep was watching the lengthy Gametrailers documentary on the Metal Gear series. I had never played an MGS game before but I was able to follow the story just fine, and even pick up on some of the nuances. It was epic, epic, epic. The ending made me cry a couple times, and many other moments made me misty-eyed. Old Snake is the most believable character in videogames.

- Metal Gear Online is friggin' awesome. I'm not sure what all the rabblerousing is about difficulties signing in. You cook up a username and password once, then the game remembers it and you never have to touch it again. That being said, what a great multiplayer mode. There's a steady userbase and you see some new tactical possibility each time you play.

- Mindblowing production values. The sheer attention to detail and the number of Easter eggs stuffed into every nook and cranny of the game is mindboggling. The game's so polished it shines. Simply put, it was one helluva introduction to the world of HD games.

Oh, and I got Warhawk on the list thanks to the 2008 expansion packs. I'm glad I was able to rep it, because it is SO. MUCH. FUN. Splitscreen co-op Warhawk in an online 24-player match is BLISS.

It was my first year as a PSWii owner, and it was a great one! :D

Chumly

1. Grand Theft Auto IV
2. World of Goo
3. Super Smash Bros. Brawl
4. Gears of War 2
5. Little Big Planet
6. Mario Kart Wii
7. Wipeout HD
8. No More Heroes
9. World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King
10. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

Neiteio said:
2. Warhawk (Expansions: Broken Mirror and Fallen Star)
3. BioShock (PS3)
5. Okami (Wii)
6. Soulcalibur IV
7. de Blob
8. Boom Blox
9. Mario Kart Wii
10. Pure

LittleBigPlanet just misses the Top 10. I haven't played it much yet, but the controls and the way you switch between foreground and background is finicky and difficult for me to get comfortable with. It drives me crazy that they put so much work into the design elements and so little into the controls. I don't know, I guess I'm spoiled by Ninty.

On the other end of the spectrum, MGS4 blew me away, and for a number of reasons:

- You can beat the game without killing a single person. THIS IS AWESOME. Sneaking around, grabbing unsuspecting guards and spiking their heads into the ground like some old mustachioed Batman, then hiding their unconscious bodies in a shed is AMAZING. Aiming a sniper rifle and hearing the satisfying thwip of a tranquilizer round hitting a distant target and watching him fall instantly asleep is AMAZING. Blasting away foes with non-lethal rounds from a pump-action shotgun and knocking the air out of them so that they fall unconscious is the most kickass act of pacifism I've ever seen. Call me a pansy, but it was such a nice change of pace to have the option to beat the game bloodlessly. And you're rewarded for it, unlocking a number of items at the end!

- The story is amazing. My only prep was watching the lengthy Gametrailers documentary on the Metal Gear series. I had never played an MGS game before but I was able to follow the story just fine, and even pick up on some of the nuances. It was epic, epic, epic. The ending made me cry a couple times, and many other moments made me misty-eyed. Old Snake is the most believable character in videogames.

- Metal Gear Online is friggin' awesome. I'm not sure what all the rabblerousing is about difficulties signing in. You cook up a username and password once, then the game remembers it and you never have to touch it again. That being said, what a great multiplayer mode. There's a steady userbase and you see some new tactical possibility each time you play.

- Mindblowing production values. The sheer attention to detail and the number of Easter eggs stuffed into every nook and cranny of the game is mindboggling. The game's so polished it shines. Simply put, it was one helluva introduction to the world of HD games.

Oh, and I got Warhawk on the list thanks to the 2008 expansion packs. I'm glad I was able to rep it, because it is SO. MUCH. FUN. Splitscreen co-op Warhawk in an online 24-player match is BLISS.

Oh, Neiteio. I always love reading your fresh enthusiastic perspective into the MGS gaming world.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
My top games of the year are:

2. Little Big Planet

3. Burnout Paradise

4. Wipeout HD

5. Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core

6. Bionic Commando: Rearmed

7. God of War: Chains of Olympus

8. Wipeout Pulse

9. Devil May Cry 4

10. Valkyria Chronicles

Firestorm

Meh haven't played a bunch of games that I think will be in my GOTY running (MGS4, Fallout 3) but of what I've played:

1. Tales of Vesperia
2. Mirror's Edge
3. Audiosurf
5. Left 4 Dead

Those are the only games I think deserve distinction.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Tabris said:
I've only played up to chapter 9 but god damn the story is bad.

Wrong. One of the best narratives in an RPG so far this gen. Great stuff.

The pig appears in the story I think three times for a grand total of like, one whole minute. It's really just a joke and isn't integral in any way.

Also, on an unrelated note - It's funny to see all the doom and gloom about Sony not having any exclusive content with the top 2 and 3 of the top 10 ITT being PS3 exclusive.

Linkup

1. Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
2. Left 4 Dead
3. LostWinds
4. Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
5. World of Goo
6. Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2
7. Audiosurf
8. Okami (Wii)
9. Trackmania United Forever
10. No More Heroes

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
140.85 said:
Wrong. One of the best narratives in an RPG so far this gen. Great stuff.

The pig appears in the story I think three times for a grand total of like, one whole minute. It's really just a joke and isn't integral in any way.

Also, on an unrelated note - It's funny to see all the doom and gloom about Sony not having any exclusive content with the top 2 and 3 of the top 10 ITT being PS3 exclusive.
Not this shit again.

FerranMG

Am I still on time?

1.- Braid
2.- Left 4 Dead
3.-
4.-
5.- FarCry 2
6.-
7.- Mirror's Edge
8.- Guitar Hero World Tour

Sadly I haven't had the time to play some games that might have been in the list, but at least the top 2 is pretty clear, :)

1. Super Smash Bros. Brawl
2. Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts
3. Mario Kart Wii
4. Mega Man 9
5. Kirby Super Star Ultra
6. Guitar Hero: World Tour
7. Soul Calibur IV
8. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time
9. Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories
10. Wario Land: Shake It!

Firestorm

Rez>You said:
Not this shit again.
People saying PS3 = GCN. What else is new?
grandjedi6 said:
I am so not going to finish all the games I want to before the deadline :lol
Yeah, I gave up too. I really think Fallout 3 and MGS4 woulda been up there too. Fallout 3 I just don't have time for right now and MGS4 I want to wait until I get surround sound.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
MGS4 and LBP getting the top 2 spots is kinda a letdown.

Oh well

Ranger X

RubxQub said:
MGS4 and LBP getting the top 2 spots is kinda a letdown.

Oh well

When it's not your favorite game it's a letdown I suppose. But it doesn't matter, the top represents the taste of the collective of GAF posters. It's also a WAYYYY better sample in order tell what are the best games than pretty much any other major websites GOTY awards. Also more representative than the opinion of one person. I wonder why it can be a "letdown". It's more like "reality".

Cartman86

Banned
Neiteio said:

lol I love that. Everything you said (besides the multiplayer of course) is exactly how i've felt with every single MGS release. Amazing series.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
lol at the instant OMG HOW DARE YOU response to the RubxQub. These games have over 8000 points between them, let one person have their opinion. GAFs two favourite games don't need your defense. Jesus.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
It's a letdown because I personally didn't like those games as much as I liked others.

I wanted MGS4 to be really bring me towards my PS3, and it made me avoid it like the plague. I wasn't at all interested at all in what it had to offer. My opinion. Suck on it.

LBP is definitely a great innovation, but I can't sit down and play it for hours. Just my opinion.

Just IN MY OPINION...I don't think MGS4 deserves #1 at all. LBP should get some kind of mention, but it's not GOTY.

My opinion.

Just my opinion.

It's my opinion, it's ok to disagree...with my opinion. Because it's an opinion.
Ranger X said:
When it's not your favorite game it's a letdown I suppose. But it doesn't matter, the top represents the taste of the collective of GAF posters. It's also a WAYYYY better sample in order tell what are the best games than pretty much any other major websites GOTY awards. Also more representative than the opinion of one person. I wonder why it can be a "letdown". It's more like "reality".
Flawed logic.

Your assumption is that each voter has every console and has played every game and can therefore judge and rank each game against each other.

Far far far from the truth. I'm not complaining at all about the process, but lets get real. This is a fun thread with fun results, not an end all be all GOTY award.

keeper7k

1. Infinite Undiscovery
2. Braid
3. Gears of War 2
4. Castle Crashers
5. Fallout 3
6. Fable II
7. Sonic Unleashed
8. Banjo N&B
9. Geometry Wars 2
10. Galaga Legions

1. Persona 4