• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games o' the Year Voting Thread 2008

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
AniHawk said:
Just to remind everyone, this is the last day to vote.
Oh wow, that went quick. Burnout and Mirror's Edge need some last minute support guys, anyone who hasn't voted yet, get too it. ;)

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Dissidia Final Fantasy
Any game that I continuously suck at yet am constantly compelled to play is deserving of great credit. Not to mention the pure fanboy factor. I mean, grinding on the Lifestream? Holy shit.

Soma Bringer
Despite having issues with this game, it was a solid multiplayer experience. Really fun taking out the big stupid bosses with friends. Also, being able to change your skill points at any time was a really nice option.

Nameless Game
What mood this game evokes. I was sitting on a train packed with people as I played it for the first time and I was scared shitless. Great puzzles as well. I don’t know if I could truly call it fun, I mean, it was enjoyable, but it was mostly because of the fear the game was able to instill in me.

Persona 4
Excellent soundtrack, excellent improvements over Persona 3, but still leaves the feeling that something more could be done with the formula. Still, a fantastic formula and even if they are going “cash in” by reusing the formula, it shows Atlus knows how to make sure it is still a great experience in its own.

Left 4 Dead
Far from perfect, but that doesn’t stop it from being a damn fun multiplayer experience. Certainly lacking when you’re not in the same room as the people you are playing with, and even more so when you’re playing with the AI. Really upset the 360 version only supports 2 players simultaneously, but this is seriously the best reason to use the 360 system link.

Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness Episode 1
I knew I would play it because of my love for Penny Arcade. I didn’t know I would love the game. Besides being hilarious and well written, it actually packs an interesting battle system where status effects and items play a major part of the gameplay. When I figured out that you could cancel status effects by causing new ones, a whole new level of gameplay of managing the status effects on you and the enemies came up that really made for some interesting fights. A solid RPG, to be sure.

Etrian Odyssey II: Heroes of Lagaard
What’s the recipe for making a game I’ll love? If your answer is take a game I love, fix all the problems and add more content, then you are correct. If you ask why this caused EO2 to rank high in my list and Persona 4 not so much, well, it just happens that the EO formula is more apt for this kind of treatment than Persona. I am really excited for the next game in this vein from Atlus, but I hope for something a little more different.

Super Smash Brothers Brawl
By sheer number of hours spent on this game it should be number one. Whenever someone comes over to play games this goes on for at least one fight. Sadly for this game, I just can’t count a game I only play multiplayer my number one. But that doesn’t stop Brawl from being some of the best game time I have ever had.

Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
If I had my way there would be a new Castlevania of this style every year. And unless someone fucked up big time, it would make my list every year. The formula just works all the time. A little bit of exploration, a little bit of platforming, a little bit of action and a little bit of RPG stats just makes for a sweet, sweet experience I can’t get enough of. Ecclesia also offered a hearty challenge that turned this from more than a guilty pleasure but into a game I truly love.

The Last Remnant
Only one game this year had me so excited at TGS that I couldn’t wait to go buy a new console to replace a broken one so that I would be ready for the day the game came out.
The Last Remnant is hardly without its faults, but it has the exact qualities that I want out of a game. Something that is so enjoyable and rewarding to play that any faults it does have are just ignored because, dammit, you’re having fun playing a game.

1. Persona 4
2. Metal Gear Solid 4
3. No More Heroes
4. Fallout 3
5. Mother 3
6. Valkyria Chronicles
7. LittleBigPlanet
8. Dragon Quest 4
9. Chrono Trigger DS
10. Smash Bros

The battle for my top 5 has never been so conflicted. I wish I could have put a few more hours into Fallout, as that might have ranked higher. I'm still not sure which of my top three I enjoyed the most, but P4 has just blown away my expectations.

ocadman

1. MGS4
2. LBP
3.GTA4
4.Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
5.Professor Layton and the Curious Village
6.Ninja Gaiden 2

These are the only new games I've played this year, demos aside. Wish I had more time. Just picked up Valkyria Chronicles yesterday. Excited about what I heard!

Haunted

It really shouldn't bother me, but seeing MGS4 at #1 with a lead this wide makes me kinda sad.

That, and Crysis: Warhead not even in the Top 50 (and other games ranking much much lower than I'd like them to). ;_;

oh well. First time since 2004 I disagree with a GAF GOTY #1.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Looking at this thread, it's sort of fun to see the lists from people that in 90% of their posts are full of negativity, hating and bitching about everything. It's refreshing to see them liking stuff for a change.

Haunted

RubxQub said:
Far far far from the truth. I'm not complaining at all about the process, but lets get real. This is a fun thread with fun results, not an end all be all GOTY award.
No!

It's the only GOTY award that really counts. Even if I disagree with the results, the GAF GOTY is the real deal.

Fuu said:
Looking at this thread, it's sort of fun to see the lists from people that in 90% of their posts are full of negativity, hating and bitching about everything. It's refreshing to see them liking stuff for a change.
:lol so true
I'm guilty, too!
Let's savour it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I can't explain why, but there's a part of me that really, really wanted Burnout Paradise to be the GAF GOTY.

That would have been special.

Il Comodino

sorry about his english
1- Metal Gear solid 4
2- LBP
3- Motorstorm PR
4- Nba2k9
5- Singstar
6- Guitar Hero: World Tour
7- GTA4
8- Dead Space
9- Valkyria Chronicles
10- Siren

Slacker

1. Rock Band 2
2. Valkyria Chronicles
3. Burnout Paradise
4. Little Big Planet
5. Fallout 3
6. Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
7. Super Smash Bros. Brawl
8. Civilization IV: Colonization
9. PixelJunk Monsters
10. The Witcher: Enhanced

It was harder than I thought to narrow it to 10.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
I'd have liked LBP as Number 1, but MGS4 is pretty dang sweet - I'm ok with it winning.

Only painful one is Far Cry 2, all the way at Number 40 :(

Zanick

1. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
2. Left 4 Dead
3. Fallout 3
4. Fable 2
5. Rock Band 2
6. Little Big Planet
7. Grand Theft Auto 4
8. Braid
9. Gears of War 2
10. Super Smash Brothers Brawl

Wolffen

1.Gears of War 2
2.Tales of Vesperia
3.Pixel Junk Monsters
4.Little Big Planet
5.Castle Crashers
6.Geometry Wars 2
7.Boom Blox
8.Metal Gear Solid 4

1. LittleBigPlanet
2. Metal Gear Solid 4
3. Grand Theft Auto 4
4. Fallout 3
5. Echochrome
6. Pixeljunk Eden
7. Bionic Commando Rearmed
8. Resistance 2
9. Pixeljunk Monsters
10. FIFA 2009
:D

Stealth

1. MGS4
2. LittleBigPlanet
3. Dead Space
4. Fallout 3
5. Gears of War 2
6. Super Smash Bros. Brawl
7. Left 4 Dead
8. Grand Theft Auto 4
9. Bionic Commando: Rearmed
10. Mirror's Edge

Dr.Hadji

1. LittleBigPlanet
2. Super Smash Brothers Brawl
3. Mega Man 9
4. Wii Fit
5. Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD
6. Metal Gear Solid 4
7. World of Goo
8. Braid

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Go MGS4! Kinda makes you feel sorry for every decent game that had the misfortune of being released in the same year. :(

vjoe

Neo Member
1- Valkyria Chronicles
2- Etrian Odyssey II
3- LBP
4- The World Ends With You
5- MGS4
6- Dead Space
7- Fallout 3
8- PURE
9- Gears of War 2
10- Dragon Quest IV

I have no problem with MGS 4 being at the top. I'm often critical of the PS3 and its lineup but MGS 4 looks pretty solid to me. I watched my nephew play it for a few hours and I came away desperately wanting to play it myself. Not enough to actually buy a PS 3 mind you but it definitely looked very enticing to me.

I'll never quite get the Little Big Planet Love. While I think user content is cool I don't necessarily see the magic in a relatively average non revolutionary platformer in this day and age. That one strikes me as product of system love ;)

But GAF has spoken either way.

1. World of Goo
2. Patapon
3. No More Heroes
4. Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
5. The World Ends With You
6. Rhythm Tengoku Gold
7. Shiren the Wanderer
8. Super Smash Bros. Brawl
9. de Blob
10. Boom Blox

rexor0717

Stoney Mason said:
I'll never quite get the Little Big Planet Love. While I think user content is cool I don't necessarily see the magic in a relatively average non revolutionary platformer in this day and age. That one strikes me as product of system love ;)

But GAF has spoken either way.
Its not about the actual platforming. Sure, the platforming is very basic (run, jump, grab), but the stages is where the innovation comes from. The developer levels are so diverse, and many of the community levels are great too. Plus the community is huge. That is the appeal...to me at least.

1. Metal Gear Solid 4
2. Sins of a Solar Empire
3. Left 4 Dead
4. Dead Space
5. Gears of War 2
6. Braid
7. Far Cry 2
8. Audiosurf
9. Crysis Warhead
10. Fallout 3

1. Mirror's Edge
2. Super Smash Bros. Brawl
3. Fable II
4. Chrono Trigger DS
5. Spore
6. Rock Band 2
7. Mega Man 9
8. Rez HD
9. Fallout 3
10. The World Ends With You

totowhoa

Banned
1. Persona 4
2. Imagine: Party Babyz
3. The World Ends With You
4. Persona 3: FES
5. Mario Kart Wii
6. Braid
7. Super Smash Bros. Brawl
9. Chrono Trigger DS
10. KORG DS-10

LukeSmith

1. Super Street Fighter II HD Remix
2. World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King
3. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
4. Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2
5. Ninja Gaiden II
6. Bionic Commando: Rearmed
7. Dead Space
8. Battlefield: Bad Company
9. NHL 09
10. Castle Crashers

ecierif

1. LittleBigPlanet
2. Mirror's Edge
3. Valkyria Chronicles
4. Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts
5. Bionic Commando Rearmed
6. Burnout Paradise
7. Fallout 3
8. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
9. Motorstorm: Pacific Rift
10. Braid

11. Maboshi's Arcade/Art Style series/Echochrome (I wish there were more unique/weird puzzle games)

$1$rhythmic: 10 gokus of gold's
$2$faye bull choo
$3$bangai-o spritzerz
$4$pegL knightz
$5$prince Ahmadinejad of Iran
$6$pattle pawn
$7$deth spays
$8$cassholevainiums - shania, not the fighter one
$9$uhweigh shove a done gin
$10$sole baubblez

dude

dude
Haunted said:
It really shouldn't bother me, but seeing MGS4 at #1 with a lead this wide makes me kinda sad.

That, and Crysis: Warhead not even in the Top 50 (and other games ranking much much lower than I'd like them to). ;_;

oh well. First time since 2004 I disagree with a GAF GOTY #1.
I know what you mean. Crysis was completely forgotten! It's just sad.

I couldn't agree less with this year's GOTY, but oh well.

rostocker

1. Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts
2. Mirrors Edge
3. Gears of War 2
4. Fable 2
5. Pure
6. GTA 4
7. Geo Wars 2
8. Flatout Ultimate Carnage (PC)
9. Braid
10. A Kingdom for Keflings

1. Fallout 3
2. Braid
3. Ninja Gaiden 2
4. Fable 2
5. The World Ends With You
6. Lost Odyssey
7. Etrian Odyssey 2
8. Mirror's Edge
9. Banjo Kazooie NB
10. Little Big Planet

1. Metal Gear Solid 4
2. Dead Space
3. Persona 4
4. Fallout 3
5. Gears of War 2
6. Burnout Paradise
7. The World Ends With You
8. NBA 2K9
9. Rez HD
10. FIFA 09

polg

So I'm voting after lots of thinking. I just started playing Fallout 3 and I've been super impressed, but I cannot give it a higher spot until I play it more.

1. Metal Gear Solid 4
2. Burnout Paradise
3. Little Big Planet
4. Layton and the curious village
5. The World Ends with you
6. Super Smash Brothers Brawl
7. Pixel Junk Eden
8. Dead Space
9. Fallout 3
10. Mirror's Edge

A bunch of awesome games that didn't make the cut:
Pixeljunk Monsters
Patapon
Dragon Quest IV
Chrono Trigger DS
Ninja Gaiden DS

batbeg

NameGenerated said:
And Boom Blox at 49 =\

Frankly I think that's higher than I expected GAF to place it. I know people are fond of saying GAF loved this game, but even in the end it really felt like there was only a dozen or so of us who did :( Hopefully it also speaks volumes about the quality of releases this year, that something that awesome is that low. I have no idea how people aren't able to fill in a top 10... I wish I could've had a top 20.

Stoney Mason said:

For me it's the great level design, the collect-a-thon whore inside me, and the co-op whore inside of me. I don't have any of my consoles connected to the internet, so I can't even download new levels, but I've still sunk a lot of time into LBP thanks to the local co-op.

Still silly you gave some of us only 4-5 days to play some of the best games of 2008.
Didn't anyone else get some of this years best games on the 25th? I still have some unopened.

And GAF enjoyed MGS4 much much MUCH more than I did.

1.Metal Gear Solid 4
2.Fallout 3
3.LittleBigPlanet
4.Resistance 2
5.God of War: Chains of Olympus
6.Gears of War 2
7.Patapon
8.PixelJunk Eden
9.Grand Theft Auto IV
10.Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm

notable mention
Crysis warhead