• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2015 - Voting Thread [LAST DAY FOR VOTING]

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Rocket League ; So many hours.
2. Fallout 4 ; More is better.
3. Witcher 3 ; Scary woods ladies!
4. Kerbal Space Program ; To the mun!
5. Downwell ; Mobile combo fun
6. Battlefront ; Fighter squadron mode
7. Halo 5 ; #6 before Battlefront
8. Cities Skylines ; SimCity 2015 forreals
9. Her Story ; DVR - The Game
10. Lara Croft Go ; iPad gaming returns

Markoman

1. Bloodborne; the world and enemy-design, combat, music
2. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain; best 3rd person stealth gameplay by far
3. Splatoon; freshest take on an online shooter
4. Fallout 4; building settlements, upgrading weapons and the gore made up for the game's flaws
5. Hotline Miami 2; not as great as HM1 but still a very fun game

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
1. Super Mario Maker ; The most intuitive level creator ever made paired with the tightest platforming franchise on the planet makes a hell of a combination. The game is highly addictive and the only limit is your imagination.

Moongazer

1. Bloodborne ; From Software really outdid themselves this year with a much welcomed return to form after the somewhat disappointing Dark Souls 2. Fantastic level design, a faster paced combat system and finally the most consistent set of bosses that From Software has designed yet make Bloodborne a memorable experience. However what sticks out the most to me even in comparison to the Souls series is Bloodborne's art and atmosphere. Simply put the stuff that Bloodborne is doing in terms of its art direction feels unique with the combination of surreal imagery and horror and done with a touch of elegance that was only really seen in the likes of Demon's and Dark Souls. Miyazaki's touch? Perhaps. Whatever it is really sets Bloodborne apart and still makes me want to experience it again. Regardless of what you may think of the Souls games Bloodborne shouldn't be missed because in spite of its difficulty experiencing Bloodborne's world, lore, and art is rewarding in itself and worth the effort the game demands you put in.

2. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt ; Absolutely one of the biggest single-player rpgs that has ever been released both in size and scope. An ambitious game that actually delivers on its promise and wrapped up in a story that is actually rather engrossing. The Witcher 3 is easily the game I spent the most time with this year and I don't regret those hundreds of hours. What impresses me the most is the variety in the world that the Witcher 3 offers. Both grimy and beautiful at the same time. Swamps, war torn countryside and mountainous islands. You're never forced to stay in one place for too long. Side quests are also for the most part excellent for an rpg of this scope and do a nice job of fleshing out the world and lore of the Witcher universe. However side quest fatigue can kick in and at about two thirds through the game I stopped doing them in order to complete the main quest. It's a testament to how big the game is really. Gameplay wise the combat is a bit disappointing. It isn't anything remarkable and for the most part gets the job done. Movement can still feel a little wonky and it has gotten better through numerous patches but still feels off. I can forgive those minor flaws because the game itself is fantastic overall and the Witcher 3 should be commended for its scope. We get so few developers nowadays that try to do something ambitious so I'm glad CD Projekt RED created the Witcher 3 with the vision they had for it and didn't settle for less.

3. Fallout 4 ; I'm not a big fan of the Fallout series and found the previous entries rather dull both in the world they presented and in their gameplay so I approached Fallout 4 with some caution and worried that it wouldn't grab me like previous games hadn't. To my surprise I actually enjoyed it immensely. Adding more colour to the world certainly helped things. No longer was I wandering through a continuous green and brown landscape, but I could now make out other colours and see a blue sky! Sure it may not fit some peoples idea of how a post- apocalyptic landscape should look but it works well. I also felt more compelled to go out my way to explore the map and generally poke around wherever I could and the combat is a bit more enjoyable this time around thanks to being able to modify your weapons more extensively and the newly introduced loot system that encourages more continuous play. My biggest complaints would still be the lack of an interesting story although this has been a bugbear in every Bethesda rpg and the rather lazy implementation of 'Legendary' enemies that drop loot due their instant health recovery and generally bullet spongy nature. Nice idea terrible execution unfortunately. I haven't delved too deeply into the settlement gameplay mechanic but it seems like a nice diversion to do once I get sick of questing. Overall I enjoyed Fallout 4 and it's always nice to be able to sink your teeth into a rpg like this once in a while.

4. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; This is a difficult one for me. I love and equally hate the game for what it is. For me personally it isn't a Metal Gear Solid game. It lacks the crazy almost charming story that the previous games had in favour of putting a few short cutscenes here and there that absolutely add nothing to the narrative. It isn't helped by the mission structure which further distances the story from the gameplay. There is no coherency between what you are doing in game and what little story the game is trying to tell. You're given random missions of blowing up tanks, rescuing prisoners, infiltrating outputs and what not that are occasionally interrupted by a random cutscene that most often than not has nothing to do with what you have been doing in game. Synergy between gameplay and narrative has always been a hallmark of Metal Gear Solid with what you as Snake did in game always tied into the story and at least to me MGSV failed in this regard. Gamplay wise though the improvements are definitely to be applauded. The controls are fluid, the shooting mechanics feel great and in general the controls just never really get in the way unlike in previous Metal Gear Solid games where they felt unintuitive. The game is also fairly difficult forcing you to think of alternate strategies on how to approach each outpost/encounter and the tools available is more extensive than ever. The 'open world' allows for more sandbox gameplay which can be a blast at times but the map itself is fairly devoid of being able to do anything other than missions or side-ops. MGSV overall is a good game but a poor Metal Gear Solid entry. Great gameplay letdown by a poor story and dull mission structure that is more suited to a handheld game. Still it deserves a spot on any GOTY list despite its dividing reputation.

5. Rebel Galaxy ; My favourite indie game of the year. A space game that is the nearest successor to Freelancer and is just plain fun. One thing that really sets it apart from other recent space games (note this isn't a space sim of the Elite Dangerous sort) is the fact that you control a capital ship as opposed to a small fighter as you would in most space games. The combat as a result is in more like the naval combat from Assassin's Creed Black Flag but set in space. The game while not overly complex in mechanics is actually a lot bigger than is seems at first glance compromising of various large sectors to explore and plenty of missions to undertake. My minor complaints with the game would be the repetitive nature of the missions especially the randomly generated ones you get from each station and the fact that despite the game taking place in space you are fixed to a 2d plane due to way combat works in the game. This honestly isn't a big deal though and you eventually forget about it after a couple hours of play. None of this should deter anyone from trying out the game though and the developers should also be commended for releasing the game at a reasonable price point. I certainly got more than my money's worth out of it and enjoyed it immensely for the sort and size of game it is.

6. Mad Max ; Great visuals. Honestly one of the best looking games this year and captures the feel of all the Mad Max films not just Fury Road which was a nice surprise. Driving feels great and the vehicles have a real heft to them. Everything else is more serviceable than anything. Combat on foot is very much Shadow of Morder also with the way missions are handled. The real joy of the game is when you're driving and taking out convoys and in that regard the game is a blast. As far as open world games go Mad Max shouldn't be overlooked

7. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate ; Despite being my first Monster Hunter title I can see why the series is as loved as it is. While the basic formula of the core gameplay is simple actual understanding how the mechanics come together when you try taking down a fairly tough monster is what sets it apart from anything I've played especially on handheld. Monster Hunter 4 also does a fairly good job of explaining and slowly adjusting a newbie like myself to the series. Monster Hunter always seemed impenetrable to me but I've allowed myself to tryout the series thanks to the more accessible nature of Monster Hunter 4.

8. Undertale ; It's a nice game. Charming and with a lot humour and aesthetic that reminds you of Earthbound and the Mother series. It's combat system or lack thereof depending on how you decide to play is probably it's most unique feature as a game incorporating elements of Shumps gameplay into its battles. But of course you can talk you're way out of fights and spare enemies you encounter and there are consequences depending on what you choose to do which gives its own spin on the rpg genre. Overall though Undertale is a nice game and certainly not the Best Game Ever.
I'm not salty about it winning btw :p

9. Cities Skyline ; The abundance of mods is what really sets this apart from other city builders. If there is something you need or feel that the game is lacking you can bet there is mod for it. Anything from custom user created designs for buildings, flying an airplane around your city, to loading up a user created version of Los Santos from GTAV and it's a pretty good city builder game in itself, but the mods are what makes it.

10. Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection ; It's great to have these games in one package and in higher resolution and fps. The visuals changes and improvements made especially to the first game made it an enjoyable revisit. The lack of Mp modes is disappointing but the work done in remastering the campaign content makes it more of a minor omission than anything else.

Honourable Mentions:

x. Halo 5 ; As a fan of Halo campaigns and the main reason I play Halo, the one included in Halo 5 was disappointing. I always appreciated the work put in them in the previous entries, but here it felt more of an inclusion as opposed to something done with care. Multiplayer will of course always be a priority in Halo but I hope for a better effort put in the next Halo campaign.

1. Witcher III ; The best open world RPG ever created. Stunningly beautiful with some of the beast quest design I've ever encountered in a game. The Witcher 3 contains more interesting decisions and narrative decisions in one off side quests compared to other RPGs entire play throughs. All around amazing package with great gameplay and narrative elements interwoven for a stellar experience.
2. Halo 5 ; Fantastic arena FPS. Movement and gunplay just feel perfect. Solid campaign but the MP is where the game absolutely shines. Best multiplayer FPS game of the year and a return to form for 343.
3. Life is Strange ; Beautifully moving and thought provoking experience. Clunky and awkward at times, but still surprisingly poignant and heartfelt. In 25+ years of gaming only the second to ever make me cry.
4. Rise of the Tomb Raider ; Great AAA roller coaster ride from start to finish. The addition of more open world elements along with "optional" tombs provides a well rounded game.
5. Metal Gear Solid V ; A tale of two games. On one hand you have a great stealth sandbox which leads to super fun emergent experiences when things inevitably go sideways during a mission. On the other you have a nonsensical narrative that is paced horribly along with base building / resource gathering mechanics strait out of the worst kind of F2P game. With a little more polish and editing could have been spectacular, as currently designed merely good.
6. Pillars of Eternity ; Great classic party based RPG. Amazing writing as to be expected from Obsidian. Doesn't quite reach the highs of Baldur's Gate or Planescape but comes pretty damn close.
7. Her Story ; One of the most unique games I've ever played. Does a great job of capturing the feeling of being an investigator as you parse and review every single video clip. Generated multiple "Aha!" movements for me as the mystery unfolded.

1. Bloodborne ; GOAT tier that finally captures the feel of Demon's Souls

2. Star Wars Battlefront ; Simple, fun gameplay that scratches my Warhawk itch.

3. Until Dawn ; We're controlling the outcome of movies now, brehs

4. Batman Arkham Knight ; The dependence on the batmobile and the ending you saw coming a mile away hurt it some, but it's still a great addition to the series.

5. Madden NFL 16 ; It finally brought me back to the series with some great improvements and additions.

I haven't played The Witcher 3 yet. Sure it'll be great if anything close to TW2, so looking forward to it... Especially seeing it ranked so high.

1. Yakuza 5 ; Better late than never. I haven't finished it yet but I'm already looking forward to Yakuza 0 on the PS4.
2. Axiom Verge ; Fantastic atmosphere and a great sense of exploration. The music alone is worth the price.
3. Bloodborne ; You can't go wrong with more Souls by Miyazaki.
4. Hotline Miami 2 ; Not as great as the first but still very good.
5. Super Stardust Ultra ; This game never gets old.
6. Helldivers ;
7. Rocket League ; This was an unexpected treat when it showed up with PS+.
8. Super Time Force Ultra ; Playable Shuhei Yoshida!
9. SOMA ;
10. Grim Fandango Remastered ;

HeelPower

1.The Witcher 3 : Wild Hunt ; This game simply redefined what a story driven RPG with a cohesive world can deliver.Almost unbelievable what CDPR was able to achieve in every aspect of this game.Its just a masterful,singular synthesis of everything past generations of RPGs tried to do.

2.BloodBorne ; Fantastic masterpiece.FROMSOFT was able to breath life again in its fourth souls-type RPG.BloodBorne boasts sublime artdirection,music ,combat and is truly worthy of every award out there.

3.Resident Evil : Revelations 2; A truly pleasant surprise and a massive step up from RE5 and 6. Character swap system was innovative and well utilized,The story was the best since forever in the RE franchise.Barry and Claire's much welcomed returns were superbly interpreted.

Zhao_Yun

Haven't even played that many 2015 titles since I have been busy with my backlog but out of all the titles I did play these are worthy of being mentioned in a GOTY thread.

1. Bloodborne ; As a fan of the previous Souls games I was really excited about a new direction in the franchise and Miyazaki didn't disappoint. While I needed some time to get used to the new pace of the battles, they felt natural very fast and I didn't miss things like the shield at all. The atmosphere and the setting were brilliant and I even enjoyed playing coop with friends in the Chalice dungeons although they were kinda repetitive after some time.
2. SteinsGate ; I already knew the story of this game since I saw the anime so the actual impact of the true ending wasn't as big as it could have been but I enjoyed every minute I was able to spend with these characters again. Definitely one of the best time travel stories that games have to offer.
3. Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward ; While this game currently has some problems with the current patch cycle I really enjoyed leveling from level 50 to 60. The story was much more intriguing than the one in ARR and as a Dragoon main I liked the additions to the class. The quality of the soundtrack also remained quite high and I am looking forward to the full release of it next year.
4. Rocket League ; This game came out of nothing for me and I didn't thought about it much when it was released on the PS Plus program. After trying it out with one of my cousins I was hooked immediately though! I spent lots of evenings playing this game with friends and everytime I was surprised by how the time flies while playing this game. Definitely the biggest surprise of 2015 for me.
5. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D ; This was my first time playing Majora's Mask since I never played the original game on the N64 and my expectations were very high. Some of my friends believed that I would like it more than Ocarina of Time because of the darker setting but I must say that OoT felt like the better overall package to me. While the time restrictions in this game aren't harsh, I nevertheless felt kind of rushed by it which lessened my enjoyment of it. All in all this was a great game though.
6. IA/VT Colorful ; I admit that I didn't like this game that much in the beginning. Out of the songs which were unlocked from the start most didn't catch my attention and most of them were slow, so playing them on Normal to unlock more sings and the Hard mode versions was really boring. The game got much better though once you unlock the harder and faster sings and Hard Mode. The faster songs appealed more to me and on hard mode they were decently challenging. They were still far from Extreme versions of PDF songs though. All in all I enjoyed the game despite it having a lower budget than the PDF games and the beatmaps ranging from very good to mediocre. It helped that the price was relatively low compared to other Japanese games.

Par Score

That's quite a recommendation.

It's slightly tongue-in-cheek, but to be a little more genuine: I always really enjoyed the climbing and free-running in the early AC games (which has been all but removed in the more recent installments) and Grow Home really scratches that climbing itch.

1. Bloodborne ; My first souls game, and definitely an experience I won't soon forget. Along with the Old Hunters DLC, my favourite gaming experience this year.

2. Xenoblade Chronicles X ; Xenoblade X may not be as amazing as the original Xenoblade was to me, but treating it as it's own thing made me appreciate it a lot more. Also best OST of the year, New L.A. and all. (But seriously, those continent themes are all amazing.)

3. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D ; Having never played Majora's Mask until the 3D remake this year, I greatly enjoyed exploring the world of Termina and it's memorable inhabitants.

4. Splatoon ; I was not all that interested when Splatoon was first revealed but I should have trusted Nintendo from the start. While I stopped playing before the free DLC began rolling out, I had a blast at launch, clearing the campaign mode in a day and then capping out my level within the week. I'll be there for Splatoon 2, whenever that comes around.

5. Hearthstone ; The three expansions this year being Blackrock Mountain, The Grand Tournament and League of Explorers have kept me playing all year.

6. Yu-Gi-Oh! Legacy of the Duelist ; The game that actually got me back into Yugioh after all these years. Its campaign mode is great for reliving the old series and discovering the newer ones. Its just a shame that support has been dropped already, I would have loved to see the new cards added but Konami gonna Konami.

7. Wolfenstein: The Old Blood ; The DLC to my favourite FPS of 2014 was a fun romp through Nazi infested territories with some supernatural goodness to boot.

8. Super Mario Maker ; I wish I hadn't gotten burned out on this game after the first couple weeks but alas, I wasn't to be. I may get back into SMM when the next lot of DLC drops but for now it remains at number 8.

9. SOMA ; Loved the setting, the atmosphere and the monster designs. Everything else was an annoying slog to get through though. The story was OK but I didn't really care for the protagonists too much.

10. Rocket League ; Sure it's fun, but when you're as bad as I am at Rocket League the appeal wears off quickly.

MW_Jimmy

4PBxMTJl.jpg

1. Bloodborne ; It's hard to write just how brilliant I think Bloodborne is.

It doesn't just take Dark Souls and puts it into an gothic victorian setting, it completely rewrites the rules of combat and Bloodborne becomes a true action-adventure. The combat is almost playful, almost Platinum-level balletic, and viseral and satisfying. The world feels small but dense, incredibly so at time, and mindbending in it's construction. It feels completely solid but still has those odd dead-ends and things off the beaten track. Some areas feel unfinished and seperated, while others are are not. It's impossible not to be intrigued by it all. For a game to consume your thoughts while you are not playing it is a rare thing indeed.

35eh3XDl.jpg

2. N++ ; A perfection of a genre that N helped create. It's a game thats a masterclass of minimal pure design. Single screen levels which make you focus completely on the challenge at hand. It's bold and stark visuals drawn with every clean line. Soundtrack too is minimal throughout with some of the best Techno in a game this year. If this is the last outing for the Ninja, well, it's a perfect sendoff.

x9qcGSZl.jpg

3. Rocket League ; Rocket League! Suprise hit of the year! Still amazing, still ridiculously fun. The first game you play is the same as the last game you play but it's all about gaining experience. Actual experience which makes you a better player. You stop chasing the ball so much, trust your teammates, judge the trajectory of the ball better, angle your car better, use your boost better. Community is great. What a Save! What a Save! you spam chat as your teammate scores an own goal. Rocket League!

wzZlXEnl.jpg

4. Helldivers ; Winner of the award of game most like Starship Troopers. A 4-player overhead shooter with friendly fire enabled, Helldivers forces cooperation on the unlikely band of soliders. It's a game that is built on accidental humorous situations, and is at it's best when you feel like you only just managed to escape on the drop-ship by the skin of your teeth. As I write it's obvious that it's very similar to Left 4 Dead. Great online community too.

Kus3kfBl.jpg

5. Final Fantasy Type-0 HD ; I cannot remember another RPG that has had realtime combat as good as this. I think Final Fantasy XV should try and learn a few things from Type-0 - it's smooth, fast and responsive. It's incredibly satisfying working your way through an area you are clearly under-levelled for and using the killsights to your advantage and switching characters/playstyles on the fly. Even when a character dies it's so quick to replace them immediately in battle. All the characters feel unique to control and I found the personalties of the unit, as a whole, very likeable.

hje7B3Ul.jpg

6. Everybody's Gone To The Rapture ; The most British game of the year. Ostensibly a game about the end of the world, but it's more of a gossip simulator where the characters are more interested in what so-and-so down the road is up to. A completely unique experience.

rdeY9Cll.png

7. Journey ; A joyous exploration of deserts and temples with or without other travellers.

bWd08PQl.jpg

8. Hatoful Boyfriend ; A pigeon dating game whose appeal isn't the fact it's a dating game, with pigeons.

HRXfluUl.jpg

9. Shovel Knight ; Shovel Knight comes from the same place as Megaman 9 (not 10), in that being authetic to 8 bit design is not just about the visuals, but the level design aswell. There are modern aspects too in how there is a risk/reward system with gold. A mario 3 style world map was a great touch also.

AEm22Qdl.jpg

10. Super Mario Maker ; I haven't played a single minute of Super Mario Maker, but I feel it's worthy of inclusion for just how much enjoyment the various Twitch streams and YouTube creation channels has given me. The elements of a Mario game are so familiar to me that I can understand perfectly the rules of the game and try and figure out the levels that others have made through watching. It's the boldest game Nintendo has made for years, and even though there are plenty of games with user-created content, Mario Maker still feels amazingly fresh. It's the first game that has made really feel like I should own a Wii U.

Honourable Mentions

x. Destiny The Taken King ; More of the beautiful same.
x. Driveclub Bikes ; Both these games are here because they have kept me playing on and off for the duration of 2015. The pricing still needs some work, but these "Games as a Service" have been wonderful and I am looking forward to the new content in 2016
x. Dragon Quest Heroes ; Notable for being the first Musou game I've enjoyed. The world of Dragon Quest is full of character and style - hitting slimes and golems appeals so much more than the waves of soldiers in other Musou titles. The voice acting too is as charming as ever, and the careful skewing of tropes makes for an enjoyable story too.

dkeane

1. Super Mario Maker ; Always wanted a game like this. Seems like it will never get old.
2. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; So many options in the gameplay, they really nailed the controls.
3. Splatoon ; Never thought I would like this as much as I do. Fresh .
4. Yoshi's Woolly World ; After reviews I wasn't expecting this to be as good as it is. Really fun little game.
5. BOX BOY! ; Such a fun little game. Super creative.

Didn't play many games this year, tried to play Bloodborne and couldn't get into it.

Mugen08

1. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; My favorite due to the gameplay mechanics, had so many laughs while playing. Flawless PC port too.
2. Fallout 4 ; My most played game 2015, almost no. 1. Shooting is very rewarding and it feels like I put many marks on the Commonwealth. Great reveal before E3 with a not too distant launch date contributed to my hype.
3. Rocket League ; Still playing it from time to time. Great concept, near perfect execution. Multiplayer of the year.
4. Cities: Skylines ; Can't applaud Colossal Order enough for this. What an achievement to create what EA wouldn't on a much smaller budget.
5. Her Story ; Short and simple game with a hard to predict and interesting storyline. Great acting too. I want more games like this.
6. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt ; Did not finish it but played for many many hours and clearly it is a high quality production. Interesting side quests compared with most rpgs.
7. Pillars of Eternity ; Another RPG that I did not have time to finish sadly. Played for a long time and got quite engaged in the story, world and characters. Hope to finish later.
8. Axiom Verge ; With a narrow margin my favorite metroidvania of 2015.
9. Resident Evil: Revelations 2 ; The best co-op experience Ive had this year to my surprise. Felt old school in an ok way.
10. Elite: Dangerous ; I feel that I must mention it despite it's many weaknesses. A large part of the beginning of 2015 I spent with E:D in awe. It saddens me that it felt so shallow after a while.

Their eyes are simply yet to open. Kos, please grant them eyes!

Ok, that was an awesome response :)

And I'm happy to see some BB fans encouraging others to try it, and maybe not miss this experience because of the difficulty. While the game doesn't really hold your hand, it's fair, even giving you the ability to summon other players or npcs for help.

Unfair difficulty to me was a section of Freedom Wars. Run a gauntlet of enemies, a double boss battle, then a another boss battle right after with no opportunity to save. F that. Just deleted it, because that felt as bad as Capcom's old boss gauntlet end battles.

Bloodborne, and Souls in general, aren't like that.

1. Bloodborne ; I don't use the word masterpiece lightly but it's the first to come to mind when attempting to describe this glorious gem of a game. I would be shocked if any game dethrones Bloodborne from its current throne of game of the generation, and it has firmly solidified itself as one of my favorite games ever created. Unparalleled combat, best in class art direction, phenomenal level design, engrossing lore... the list goes on and on. Find a superlative in the dictionary and I'll find a way to attach it to Bloodborne.

2. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt ; I have played quite a few WRPGs but they have never impacted me the way my favorite RPGs from Japanese developers have. Enter TW3, a game that somehow manages to succeed in delivering both massive scale and a near limitless well of meaningful quests and content. I will forever be in awe of CDPR for what they've created with this game. This is the new high watermark in open world RPGs.

3. Rocket League ; I never would have guessed my most played multiplayer game of all time would hit in 2015 but here we are. I've played well over 1,500 matches with no end in sight. This is a game designed by some folks who truly understand what it takes to make an addictive and rewarding multiplayer experience. The elegant simplicity on the surface deceptively hides the potential skill ceiling lying in wait, a true mark of a phenomenal multiplayer experience. If I'm looking for fun with friends in 2015 and beyond I'm looking to Rocket League.

"You up for some RL?"

"Always!"

4. Fallout 4 ; Fallout 4 is very much more Fallout but the additions Bethesda has made to the formula go a long way towards reigniting my previously waning interest in the series. Collecting junk to create weapon mods goes miles towards creating a more compelling gameplay loop. The storytelling and quest design remain very good but not exceptional in most cases, but this was more than enough to keep me interested in the desolated world of post-apocalyptic Boston.

5. Yoshi's Woolly World ; Yoshi's Woolly World is, for my money, the single most underrated game of 2015. It's another 2D platformer from Nintendo, a statement which puts it behind the eight ball in the consciousness of many gamers right out of the gate. However, if like me you still have an appetite for top-tier 2D platformers that bring you back to the days of old then Woolly World is simply a must play. The level design is as charming and unique as ever and the firm foundation of mechanics from Yoshi's Island continues to propel great platforming gameplay even in 2015. I had an absolute blast going for 100% in each level and the S levels rewarded for completing each world were the sweet cherry on top of a delicious cake. I wouldn't quite put WW on the level of DKC:TF or SM3DW but it's knocking on the door.

6. Xenoblade Chronicles X

7. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

8. FIFA 16

9. Code Name: S.T.E.A.M.

10. OlliOlli2: Welcome to Olliwood

1. Bloodborne ; Love the souls series and this exceeded my expectations.
2. Until Dawn ; A horror film as a game. So fresh and so clean.
3. Grim Fandango Remastered ; Remaster of one of my favorite games of all time.
4. Yakuza 5 ; An entry into a series I love that I never thought we'd get.
5. Rocket League ; So much damn fun.
6. Dragon Quest Heroes ; Dynasty Warriors meets DQ, dream match up.
7. Star Wars Battlefront ; So addicting and fun. Love playing this with friends.
8. Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection ; Collection of my favorite PS3 series with a shiny new coat of paint.
9. Wolfenstein: The Old Blood ; Not as good as The New Order but still an awesome time.
10. Broken Age ; Was not expecting much from bad word of mouth but I loved this little game.

Fireblend

Banned
1. Undertale ; Knowing Undertale was made by a single person would be enough to excuse it for its shortcomings in story, theme, progression, gameplay, music or graphics. Instead, it excels in all 6. It's brilliant.

2. Life is Strange ; A great coming of age/time travel story with a much better engine than any Telltale game. Dontnod deserves all the praise this game got.

3. Super Mario Maker ; Miyamoto Simulator 2015 is exactly the game we all dreamed we had when we were kids. Still being a programmer, it's a dream come true.

4. Ori and the Blind Forest ; One of the best platformers/metroidvanias I've played recently, with great escape sequences, great soundtrack and nice charming visuals.

5. Tales from the Borderlands ; It's a brilliant, hilarious story packaged in pretty graphics and a honestly underwhelming adventure engine. This could be GOTY if it wasn't for the fact that it didn't feel all that much like a game to me.

6. Rocket League ; I am editing this post first and foremost because of this game. I bought it yesterday as of this edit's timestamp, and I'm more than 8 hours into it now, with no sign of stopping. Incredibly addicting, good-looking and stylish. I adore it.

7. Elite Dangerous ; I'm like 30 hours into this and barely scratching the surface. I was intimidated at first by its considerable amount of systems (and still am), but they're bearable and I feel like a total badass having my own spaceship to do bounty hunting with. I feel like progression is a bit wonky, but it's incredibly rewarding and good looking.

8. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D ; It was my first experience with Majora's Mask and as someone who's highly critical of 3D Zelda games I was more than pleasantly surprised. I loved every bit of it, and from what I've seen the improvement in visuals from the N64 version was huge. Having it on the go is a great plus too.

9. Invisible, Inc. ; As a fan of strategy games, this was an absolute no brainer purchase, and I absolutely loved it. Klei is rapidly becoming an insta-buy developer for me.

10. Yo-kai Watch ; A super charming, ridiculously good-looking, light hearted, monster-catching RPG that I hope gets all the attention it deserves so we can get a lot more of it here. I really got into this thanks to its clever battle system and fun cast/story. A real treat for 3DS owners.

Honorable Mentions

x. Contradiction - Spot The Liar! ; I really hope we see more of detective inspector Jenks in the future.

x. Until Dawn ; I didn't actually play this game as I don't own a PS4 (that will change this year), but I saw several playthroughs of it and had a lot of fun watching them.

x. Xenoblade Chronicles 3D ; I'd never played this either and it ended up being the first 80+ hours JRPG I've finished in a while. Loved the story, characters and music. The visuals were obviously downgraded from its Wii version but the art style more than made up for it.

x. Rebel Galaxy ; The space game I'd been waiting for. Not overly complicated, super pretty and it scratches that Firefly itch.

Kiyo

1. Bloodborne ; When I first finished Bloodborne, I looked at the games coming out the rest of the year and had a feeling that it would top my GotY list. Now here we are, months later and I still believe it was the best game I played this year. It was everything I loved about Dark Souls, with faster and more enjoyable combat. I'm having trouble believing even Dark Souls 3 will surpass this game.

2. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; It wasn't the ending I (or most of us) wanted, but the gameplay had me hooked from beginning to end and I enjoyed the ride. I can understand the disappointment in the ending, but I don't believe that takes away from how great the rest of the game is.

3. Ori and the Blind Forest ; This game was my GotY for a whole 2 weeks (until Bloodborne came out) and it's still high on my list. A fun story combined with great gameplay makes this a must-buy for any fan of platformers.

4. Rise of the Tomb Raider ; Better than Tomb Raider, which I enjoyed a lot, but not great enough to be higher up on my list. I think I may have enjoyed it more on PC, but there was no way I was waiting to play this.

5. Starcraft II: Legacy of the Void ; A satisfying end to a story I've been waiting a decade and a half for. The coop missions adds some cool stuff you can do with friends and the multiplayer is as great and competitive as it's ever been.

6. Until Dawn ; I'm a fan of these story driven, choose your path games and also a fan of horror so Until Dawn was a really fun surprise for me. I wasn't really interested in this game when it came out, but my friend bought it for me and it turned out to be better than any Telltale game I've played in the past couple of years.

7. Life is Strange ;
8. Undertale ;
9. Heroes of the Storm ;
10. Tales from the Borderlands: Episodes 2-5 ;

Curufinwe

1. Bloodborne ; Until I switched to the axe I struggled, but after that it was pretty smooth sailing. A+ combat and world building.
2. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; The haters can be quiet.
3. Xenoblade Chronicles X ; Amazing open world RPG with great combat.
4. Rocket League ; Best PS+ game of all time, and this will not change.
5. Resident Evil: Revelations 2 ; Barry is the best.
6. Persona 4 Dancing All Night ; Great music and an easy platinum.
7. Resident Evil HD Remaster ; The new controls were a nice alternative.
8. Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection ; The highest quality remaster yet.
9. Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition ; The three new characters were all a blast to play as.
10. OlliOlli2 ; Not as difficult as many people claim.

Honorable Mentions
x1. Life is Strange ; Most fun I had watching Giant Beast play something this year.
x2. Contradiction ; 2nd most fun I had watching Giant Beast play something this year.
x3. Until Dawn ; 3rd most fun I had watching Giant Beast play something this year.

1. Bloodborne ; Pretty much the Souls series with better combat based on my style of play
2. The Witcher 3 ; If not for Bloodborne easily the best game I played this year.
3. Super Mario Maker ; I love building levels. I love playing the levels, well most of them.
4. Rocket League ; This game surprised me. It's just plain old fun.
5. Destiny: The Taken King ; Completely brought me back to the game and loving every minute of it.
6. NHL 16 ; Finally some next gen hockey.
7. Helldivers ; Another game that is just plain old fun.
8. Cities Skylines ; The Sim City I actually wanted.
9. Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns ; A solid expansion. I wish I had more time to play it.
10. Mortal Kombat X ; It was a fun fighting game for me, although it's the only series I partake in so I'm biased.

Honorable Mentions
x. Project Cars ; More fun than I thought it would be.

Final Listing

1. The Witcher 3 ; I've yet to play such an addicting, captivating, and intriguing RPG since possibly Mass Effect 2. I've logged 80 hours into this game, and it feels like the time just flew by with me wanting to go back and play more. I cannot think of a gaming world that has engrossed me so much. Great soundtrack, great gameplay, fantastic story, engaging characters (Ciri really deserves her own game) and a blast to play through. CDPR delivered in every possible way. This is now my favorite WRPG of all time. If I have a negative, it's that I just couldn't get into Gwent at all. Otherwise, this is without a doubt my GOTY for 2015.

2. Life is Strange ; I've been gaming for 30+ years, and few games usually get an emotional rise out of me. However, the emotions I get from this game I cannot describe. I'm not sure if the VAs were ad-libbing any of their script, but the interaction between Max and Chloe sounded real like how I converse with my friends. Considering the setting, soundtrack, and character interactions, I've named this game "Twin Peaks for Teenagers". Twists and turns can happen at any moment, and it's the first game where I feel like my choices truly matter in how the game plays out. Playing this was like watching a teenage drama play out with a supernatural twist. Even though I knew this game wasn't likely going to end well for anyone, I teared up quite a bit at one of the endings because the game did a damn good job of making you relate to and feel for just about every character in this game. This is a remarkable game, and just ever so slightly misses out on being my GOTY.

3. Splatoon ; I tend to stay far away from online shooters due to a number of reasons, and I enjoy my gaming time without them. However, I picked up Splatoon as a rental just to see what it would bring to the table. I ended up purchasing it later. What I was met with was a game boasting bright, beautiful colors, and exceptional performance in a game that reminds me of the chaos of getting into water gun fights as a kid or watching an old Nickelodeon game show. This was the most fun and addictive game that I've played all year. The tournaments are great fun, the gameplay is very noob-friendly (long as I stay away from the Japanese rollers), and there is no voice chat which was a godsend. If only more online shooters would be this accessible with free DLC and a multitude of updates. This might be the best online shooter I've ever played.

4. Assassin's Creed Syndicate ; After playing just about every AC game over the years, I've been long burned out on the series for a while now. I rent them with the hopes that they will get better, because I saw MUCH room for improvement. Then I get a message from a buddy one day telling me how the new AC game is actually really damn good. I picked it up for cheap on Black Friday, and what I played amazed me. Ubisoft improved on the AC games in just about every way. The gameplay is fantastic, and I no longer have to fight with the climbing controls thanks mostly to the new hook shot that basically turns you into Victorian Batman. The soundtrack is beautiful, though that's expected from AC games at this point. What I really enjoyed were the two new characters. While I like Jacob Frye well enough, the interactions with his sister Evie really make them stand apart. Not only could you play as both, but they have different styles as well. I went with Evie 90% of the time because I think she's the more "assassin-esque" character out of the two. I'm floored that Ubisoft managed to fix this game and make it the most enjoyable AC title I've played since Brotherhood.

5. Until Dawn ; If there's anything I love as much as gaming, it's horror films. From the trailer when this game was announced, I expected this to be a typical slasher flick-homage that played like a David Cage game, but it ended up being more than that. Your choices do actually matter, and the characters were on point. Not to mention that this game is engaging and filled with heart-pumping moments that will have you playing on the edge of your seat. I went through this quickly, but it definitely left a lasting impression.

6. Ori and the Blind Forest ; This game's beauty is overwhelming at times (earning well deserved awards for its art direction), and the game play along with the soundtrack are top notch. A lot more difficult than I expected, but it feels rewarding every time I open a new area or discover a new power that lets me progress. It had me hooked from the teary prologue.

7. Bloodborne ; I played Demons Souls briefly a few years ago, and while I liked it, I wasn't too fond of the combat. Bloodborne improved on DS in that aspect, and the world is a gothic beauty. Seriously, the atmosphere alone could place this into my top 3 on its own. Outside of one particular boss fight (
the Blood-Starved Beast gave me actual nightmares for days
I felt that its difficulty wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, but once you get the timing down, I went through the rest of the game quite easily. And while I understand this game is all about exploration and discovery, I really really was longing for a map of some sort. Either way, Bloodborne probably won't make me a fan of the Souls games, but it's great on it's own.

8. Transformers Devastation ; I went through this game in less than a day. I just couldn't stop playing. Probably the most fun I've had playing a game aside from Splatoon this year. Decent soundtrack, loved the cell-shaded look, and it's quick to pick up if you're a veteran of such games like Bayonetta or Devil May Cry. The only minor complaint I had was with the weapons upgrade system being a little tedious, and the lack of lock-on targeting, or else I would rank this higher. Platinum strikes again.

9. Her Story ; I wasn't aware of this game's existence until The Game Awards show. Bought it the next day, and immediately found myself intrigued by the mystery of this murder investigation. It reminded me of the old Sega CD FMV games, and the actress in the clips did a wonderful job. Once you've discovered all of the clips, the story ends up playing out much differently than I expected. I also liked the subtle twist at the end. Simple, but effective.

10. Tales From the Borderlands ; I don't particularly like the Borderlands games as it's all just a bit too grindy and somewhat boring to me at times. However, one thing I do enjoy about the games is the humor, and TFtB really delivers in that department. The characters are funny and well written. I'm on the last episode as of this posting, and this is already the most I've enjoyed a Telltale game. Quite possibly my most surprisingly enjoyable game of the year.

Honorable Mentions
x. Metal Gear Solid V ; This is my biggest disappointment of the year, but I feel it deserves a mention for what it does get right by me. The gameplay was fantastic, excellent 80s mix for the soundtrack with the original music being fantastic as well (it got top honors on my soundtracks of 2015 list), good voice acting (though not nearly enough Kiefer, and way too much Kaz), and the stealth areas were really good. However, what pushed this title out of my GOTY list for me was the story becoming a bit of a mess, the repetitive missions, some of Quiet's embarrassing scenes, and mostly it became a little boring after chapter 1. That being said, Quiet ended up being one of my favorite characters of the year, and the true ending twist was a bit predictable, but it made me want to go play the original Metal Gear (NES) all over again. Such a missed opportunity for Kojima's last MGS game.

x. Undertale ; I loved the soundtrack, the characters were amazingly deep, and I've not seen a funnier written game this year. It's a good game, but I didn't love it as much as I thought I would. Not a fan of the gameplay during battles. It's just not my type of game, but I can certainly appreciate all of the creativity on display.

x. Gat Out of Hell ; Saints Row 4 is one of my all time favorite games, and this was a pleasant holdover until they decide what to do with the series from here. The multiple endings were a bit disappointing, and the game just felt very cookie-cutter.

x. Just Cause 3 ; I don't play the Just Cause games for story, I play simply to experience the mayhem and blow shit up which is what JC3 provides more than enough of. However, a game with this many glitches and other technical issues cannot have a place on my list. Not to mention, it just wasn't as good as JC2. A delay to fix some of the problems would have been much welcomed.

x. Batman Arkham Knight ; This was also on my biggest disappointments list of 2015 for a few reasons. The screwed up PC version that made me thankful for Steam refunds, too many Batmobile sections that got old really fast, Riddler missions were lacking, Scarecrow wasn't nearly as menacing as he was in Arkham Asylum, and the Arkham Knight character was a joke. It does earn a mention for the great PS4 graphics and smooth framerate, the gameplay was spot on, and the inclusion of
Joker as a mind-fuck device
was a treat. In the end, it felt like they tried to stuff too much into this game, and it suffered due to that.

x. Mad Max ; Much was fixed from when I played the demo of this back in July. The controls are better, and the combat timing has been fixed. However, it's a bit bland compared to other offering out there that go sandbox gameplay better. The story isn't exactly memorable either. It's a fun diversion for a few hours.

PerZona

1. Bloodborne - Easily my GOTY for 2015, gameplay is fantastic and the atmosphere in this game is really good and unique. Didn't expect that I would had so much fun playing this game, truly amazing. I haven't tried the DLC yet, think I should start it soon.

2. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Probably the best RPG I had played in years. In fact I had only just started the DLC Heart of Stone and its just brilliant. Graphics is phenomenal, gameplay is well balanced and storyline is great. No doubt a exceptional game.

3. Metal Gear Solid V: Phantom Pain - Still think that MGS3 is the best MGS game but TPP comes close to it. Storyline isn't what I had expected but the gameplay makes up for it. Kojima probably gambled the open world concept for a stealth game and it definitely pays off well.

4. Fallout 4
5. Destiny: The Taken King
6. Xenoblade
7. Splatoon
8. Life is Strange
9. Yakuza 0
10. Game of Thrones by Telltale Games

1. Bloodborne - Easily my GOTY for 2015, gameplay is fantastic and the atmosphere in this game is really good and unique. Didn't expect that I would had so much fun playing this game, truly amazing. I haven't tried the DLC yet, think I should start it soon.

2. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Probably the best RPG I had played in years. In fact I had only just started the DLC Heart of Stone and its just brilliant. Graphics is phenomenal, gameplay is well balanced and storyline is great. No doubt a exceptional game.

3. Metal Gear Solid V: Phantom Pain - Still think that MGS3 is the best MGS game but TPP comes close to it. Storyline isn't what I had expected but the gameplay makes up for it. Kojima probably gambled the open world concept for a stealth game and it definitely pays off well.

4. Fallout 4
5. Destiny: The Taken King
6. Xenoblade
7. Splatoon
8. Life is Strange
9. Yakuza 0
10. Game of Thrones by Telltale Games

Like you once did for the Vaccuous Rom, grant him eyes, grant him eyes!

Which is to say your vote won't count unless you replace the dash with a semicolon.

Nico_D

1. Splatoon ; The most original FPS of recent years. Shows how a genre which has been done ad nauseaum, can be fresh and interesting again. Splatoon has rich gameplay with very deep strategic depths.
2. Life is Strange ; The best episodic game I've yet to see. So absorbing that I'm happy I found it after it had been fully released. Well written characters and relationships with a lot of astounding moments.
3. King's Quest ; Very well written return to the roots of adventure games. This is what it is supposed to be about: good stories with deep characters and puzzles. The only game this year, and probably after last five, which made me cry.
4. Stealth Inc. 2: A Game of Clones ; Whereas Splatoon was the most original FPS, Stealth Inc. 2 was to me the most original puzzle game in years. Quite simple mechanics with new ability added in every now and then and then that ability was pushed to the extremes. The difficulty was just right through the game, if not counting some extra missions in the end which were a tad too much for me. Truly excellent game. Shows the power of the indies.
5. Captain Toad : Treasure Tracker ; A new IP from Nintendo, caught me by surprise No jumping, just puzzle solving.
6. Yoshi's Woolly World ; Maybe not the most original game but Yoshi got both heart and challenge especially when trying to collect everything hidden in the levels. Gorgeous game too.
7. Steamworld Dig ; An excellent indie game. Simple but extremely addicting.

1. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt ; Proof that in 2015, open world games can have a great story and dialog. Delivering on a game that has 7+ books and 2 games before it is no easy task, but somehow, it happened. CD Projekt Red deserves a thank you from RPG fans that understand how difficult it is to have convincing dialog in a game, especially in a fantasy type setting. To not just make a game where all the story is in the main quest, but to have everything come together and expand the lore, flesh out the characters, drive the story to a satisfying conclusion, and to effect the end game state of the world depending on how you completed secondary quests. Even the monster contracts in the game are worth doing beyond gameplay considerations, as each is an enjoyable short story. Best journey, adventure, and most immersive game of the year.
2. The Witcher III: Hearts of Stone ; If Wild Hunt was proof to me that open world games can still have a great story (and that Fallout NV wasn't some fluke), it's Hearts of Stone that proves to me DLC can still be substantial, even essential. Take my GOTY and then improve on everything that made it great. CDPR are becoming master storytellers in their field.
3. Bloodborne ; A visceral attack isn't just a move you can execute in Bloodborne, it aptly describes the entire game. The visuals, sounds, and music all compliment the combat to assault your senses. The quiet moments are more important than ever in Bloodborne, because when it happens, it happens fast and hard.
4. Pillars of Eternity ; The most balanced of the CRPG old school type games released. Everything about it is just good. Maybe Divinity has better combat, and maybe SR:HK does story/text better, but PoE in the full package. I can't wait to see where this series goes.
5. Shadowrun: Hong Kong ; Harebrained Schemes continues to impress with setting, story, and an interesting cast of characters. While I feel it doesn't reach the heights of Dragonfall DC due to some pacing issues, and the fact the cast of DF is going to be hard for anyone to beat, the text heavy RPGs they are releasing are a most welcome sight at this point in time. Keep them coming I say, but gameplay will need to be improved to keep the formula fresh.
6. Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition ; Amazing CRPG turn-based combat, period. There is a "best CRPG of all time" that exists somewhere, in some parallel universe, where someone took everything story from Shadowrun, and everything combat from D:OS.

Btw, the designer side of me feels down that I didn't do awesome header images like others in this thread. Great work on them and a nice added touch!

1. Bloodborne ; I remember the leaked screens in 2014 and the announcement that Miyazaki would be working on the game i knew it would be something special. As Someone who has played all the souls games Bloodborne was my favorite game of the year since that after years of the same formula it kept things fresh with combat and design. Also with The Old Hunters it makes for a hell of a package.
2. The Witcher 3 ; TW3 is my favorite Western Role Playing Game ever. I have never played a game of this length and content but manages to keep the same quality of the story telling and quests even in the smallest side quests available. Its pretty amazing
3. Rocket League ; Pure fun a simple concept yet rocket league is the funnest game i have played in years.
4. Yakuza 5 ; Worth the 3 year wait. While the base game is incredible all the side content and mini games and the open world always makes me love these games. There is nothing quite like it.
5. Axiom Verge ; Thanks to games like guacamelee i have grown a new love for metroidvania games and i think axiom verge is probably the best game in that genre. The level design and the crazy weapons makes this game worth it.
6. GALAK-Z ; This game is not for everyone but as for someone who likes trial and error games like spelunky i really enjoyed Galak Z. Apart from the mechanics the design and story telling of the game is a good breakaway from the mechanics at times.
7. Project Cars; Its been awhile since i have played a pure racing game and project cars delivered. i hope they improve some stuff for the next game but i enjoyed my time with it.
8. Persona 4 Dancing All Night ; Pure fan service and this is probably the last game in the Persona 4 universe so i am loving my time with it.
9. OlliOlli2: Welcome to Olliwood ; I loved the first game but they increased the crazy with the sequel. I mostly played it on the Vita since the sticks are better to pull off tricks. I always wanted someone to give Roll7 a few million and make a proper 3D Skateboarding game. i think they can pull it off
10. Disgaea 5 ; Been a fan since the first game and the mechanics have always been top notch. With the 5th game they have made minor improvements for the better. One of my favorite strategy games ever.

nacimento

1. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt ; brilliant RPG, CDP outdid themselves again. A towering achievement.
2. Total War: Attila ; A good twist to the Rome 2 formula.And Total War is Total War, always.
3. Cities Skylines ; Great city-builder. Lacks a little bit at challenge once your city is big enough.
4. Starcraft II: Legacy of the Void ; It's Starcraft, what is there else to say? Not much new stuff, but still gold.
5. Her Story; Great little mistery story and excellent acting.
6. Tales of the Borderlands ; Telltale games are always fun to play and the characters were great.
7. Codename S.T.E.A.M ; Obviously a downgrade from Fire Emblem or AW, but still awesome IS goodness.

1. Splatoon ; Nintendo reinvented the shooter games in a fun and addictive way. The art style is inkredible and fresh. The music is good and the mechanics are so great. This IP packs a punch and let us see a brilliant future for Nintendo. I want more game like this from Nintendo. I am so glad it did very well worldwide and in Japan.

2. Xenoblade Chronicles X ; It was hard not to place this game at number 1. I was hyped with that game the minute it was revealed in that Nintendo Direct 2 or 3 years ago. I was a bit afraid after the somewhat mixed impressions from the Japanese release. And oh boy they were all so wrong! So many things to love from game that huge monsters, huge and eerie areas, huge mechs, always something to do, to explore, to fight or to find. The music is fantastic too. I also like that even though the game is long and there are tons of things to do, you can still jump in and out for less than 30 minutes and still do something fun and substantial. It does not get the top spot for me because the fights become dull after a while.

3. Super Mario Maker ; Infinite Mario levels combinations at your finger tips, what else is to say there.

4. Affordable Space Adventures ; The setting, the gameplay and the inventive coop mechanics make this game really special and enjoyable.

5. Shovel Knight ; I saw this was still a choice this year so it's definitely going back on my list especially with the DLC it's even better.

6. The Swapper ; I saw this was still a choice this year so it's definitely going back on my list I played this game for the first time this year and it became one of my favourite puzzle game.

7. Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water ; This game might not handle so well, might not be fast enough, might not have the best mechanics and gameplay but there is still something unique in it especially if you never played any game in that serie before. The atmosphere and graphics are very special and enjoyable.

8. Kirby and the Rainbow Curse ; I had loads of fun playing that game with my kids I cannot not put that game in.

9. Yoshi's Woolly World ; Just take a look at this game and you know it ought to be on this list.

10. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker ; Charming puzzle game with fun mechanics.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
1. Bloodborne
2. Yakuza 5 ; In preparation for this game's release I've played through the entire Yakuza series, and it has quickly become one of my favorite entries. I'm 15 hours in and only 10% done, and I simply can't wait to sink more time in.
3. Mortal Kombat X
4. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate

[snip]...several hilarious yet dead on descriptions of games

Hahah. You are winning the GOTY thread post of the year so far. Well done.

Also happy to see Kerbal Space Program making some lists. I know that game doesn't have a big following on GAF, but it is so damn good, like will be playing it the rest of my life and can't wait to play it with my son when he grows up good.

1. Bloodborne ; Definitely the best new game I've played all year. Like the Souls games it features an extremely atmospheric world full of memorable locations, enemies, and bosses. What sets it apart from them, however, is the emphasis on more Lovecraftian horror and Cosmic Horror and it's awesome. The combat is very similar to the Souls games, which is one of my favorite things about the series, so naturally, I enjoyed my time with it. My favorite thing about it, and why I prefer it to Dark Souls, is the fact that the level design stays consistent throughout. I legitimately enjoyed every area in the base game and loved every minute of my time with the game. If it weren't for Bayonetta 2, I would have no problem calling this the best game of the generation so far.

2. Steins;Gate ; I didn't technically finish this yet, but I adore the anime so I have no doubt I'll enjoy the rest of my time with this. The story is just such a gripping roller coaster.

3. Under Night In-Birth ; This game has some of the best mechanics out of any modern fighter, in my opinion. The reverse chain stuff, chain shift, GRD, etc. along with no jump-canceling on block make it really fun to play. My favorite anime fighter on the PS3 that's not Guilty Gear!

4. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate ; Not much to say, it's more MonHun. I didn't spend as much time on this as I did with MH3U, but I still loved it. The new stuff, like the emphasis on verticality and jumping, were very much appreciated. The new weapons and monsters, were also great. The shark monster has become one of my favorites in the series.

5. Mushihimesama ; I'm not very experienced with shmups, but this game rules. The enemy layouts and bullet patterns are really fun to learn and I really enjoy the three different game types included here. While I'm not good or patient enough to 1cc this, I don't regret buying this one bit. Here's hoping we get more Cave games in the West!

6. Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition ; DMC4 is already my favorite of the franchise, and this just makes it better. Now on top of the already great combat engine, we got three new characters who all feel great. As a big Gunslinger fan, Lady is my favorite of them and she really adds a new experience to the game with her shitty close-combat moves.

7. Splatoon ; A wonderfully creative take on the genre with some rather unique mechanics. There are some questionable design choices, I'm not quite sure if I enjoy the map rotation stuff for example, but the core game is so fun that it's easy to overlook. It just controls SO incredibly well, everything feels smooth and intuitive. The splat effect when you defeat an enemy is rather satisfying as well. The art style feels incredibly fresh and is just a great addition to Nintendo's already great lineup of IPs.

8. Rocket League ; Probably the biggest surprise of the year for me. I've already spent countless nights playing this with my friends. It's just soccer with cars but the controls are so good that it just never gets old. Nailing the perfect jump shot with the use of boost to angle it just right or saving the ball at the last second are incredibly thrilling.

9. The Idolmaster Must Songs ; I got into the world of iM@S this year and it's become one of my favorite series with its great characters and designs. This is really just a reskinned Taiko game but I'm having a blast learning it. The songs are super challenging with fun patterns to drum along to. Plus it has Idolmaster so that makes even better!

10. Persona 4: Dancing All Night ; While this is technically the least interesting rhythm game, mechanically, that I've played all year, I still enjoyed it quite a bit. The music is amazing and it's got a super slick presentation (as expected of Atlus). My favorite thing about it though, is the story mode. While it can be repetitive, I really liked Kanami as a character. This felt like a nice sendoff to Persona 4 and I really loved all the different spin-offs we got personally.

Honorable mentions:
x. Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai DX ; I really like the Project Diva series so this is kind of a no-brainer. I wanted this in my top 10 but I already had two other rhythm games so I left it out. It's not as intense as Project Diva, but that's fine. This is still an entertaining rhythm game.

x. Star Wars: Battlefront ; Yeah it's kinda simplistic compared to other multiplayer shooters but the gunplay and everything feel really good to me. I think the real surprise is how much I enjoy the Heroes vs Villains mode. Tons of fun with friends.

x. Transformers: Devastation ; Fun game with good core mechanics, but reminds me of Metal Gear Rising in all the wrong ways. It became less enjoyable the more I played. The loot system was not implemented particularly well and made everything feel damage spongey unless you had good gear which was a bummer.

I also have Xenoblade and Fallout coming, but I don't expect to finish either before the timeframe is over so I'm just doing this now.

LTTP Games I enjoyed:
x. Smite ; I got into Smite on the PC this year and it's definitely my most played game this year. I'm not one for mobas so the Arena mode, which effectively turns it into a multiplayer brawler, is fantastic. This game is seriously so much fun.

x. Trauma Team ; I've never had much of an interest in this series but I regret it now. Trauma Team blends all these different styles into one package and it's awesome. Wish we could get a new one.

While I did manage to come up with a list, I can't say I was very happy with games this year. I don't really like many open-world games so stuff like Witcher 3 and Metal Gear Solid 5 didn't interest me. Besides Bloodborne, most of my games were really just localizations of existing games that could have already been experienced in some fashion in the West either way. Compared to years past with stuff like Bayonetta 2, Guilty Gear Xrd, Shin Megami Tensei IV, etc., it was really disappointing for me. I'd also like to add Batman Arkham Knight but it was legitimately the most disappointing game I've played in quite some time, and that really bums me out. I love these games and I love comics, but it's just hard to get excited to play this game only to be met with yet another Batmobile fight. UGH. I'll just read a comic to get my Batman fix or something.

At least next year looks good.

1. Metal Gear Solid 5 ; Simply the most enjoyable gameplay experience I've had this year. The core mechanics and the amount of experimentation at your disposal make for a highly re-playable content rich experience. It's simply too much fun to stop playing.

2. Bloodbone ; The new focus on speed and aggression was something that worked much better than I could've expected. Furthermore, the art style and story telling is perhaps my favourite in the Soul's series.

3. Life Is Strange ; Another massive surprise. The characters were likeable and the mystery was always interesting throughout.

4. Rocket League ; Football and cars are both things I have zero interest in. Yet this game has had me hooked for months.

5. The Witcher 3 ; Considering I had never played any other title in the series I was once again surprised by how much this game captivated me. While I found the pacing a bit off towards the end and the combat a bit of a drag, I still loved my time in this game's universe. The writing is superb, the world felt alive and the choices felt meaningful.

6. Resident Evil: Revelations 2 ; The best RE game since RE4. The enemies were interesting to fight and the plot developed in an interesting way. It was cheesy in the best way possible and the combat and coop were fantastic.

7. Soma ; The best story of the year. Although the game play itself had less surprises.

8. Her Story ; Great concept for a video game and genuinely made you feel like a detective. Every revelation felt earnt.

9. Until Dawn ; While I do feel like there are fundamental issues with these types of games I cannot deny how much I enjoyed the B-horror movie feel. The writing was good and did David Cage better than he ever could.

10. Dying Light ; Great parkour system and amazingly tense night sequences. Co-op also made for some memorable moments.

pantsmith

1. Undertale ; Undertale is both my favorite game of the year, and the one that stuck with me the most (and will likely stick with me for a long, long time). I actually laughed out loud, felt tremendous sadness, and grew attached to characters portrayed by crude sprites because their writing was just that good. It's wacky, inventive, genuine, scary, and brilliantly unlike anything else I've ever played. It's also fun to play, challenging and a great example of tight pacing. The soundtrack is more memorable than the extremely memorable characters. I can't say enough nice things! Play this game.

2. Life is Strange ; I had this pegged as twee garbage, and was really surprised to find some no name developer had gone ahead and actually improved upon the choice driven, episodic adventure game format that Telltale let stagnate when they cloned The Walking Dead's formula into the ground. Life is Strange takes a lot of weird risks, and though not all of them pay off the game is brave and bold and full of mindful intent. The soundtrack, direction and characters are all deliberate strokes that won't work for everyone but captured the essence of something that really struck a chord with me.

3. Bloodborne ; Its easy to lose sight of the fact that this is a game where you violently, professionally, fight through a living nightmare full of werewolves and aliens, while tackling the origin of species, Lovecraft and Western theology. This got funded, found success, and demonstrates masterclass game design in nearly everything it does. What a time to be alive!

4. Hotline Miami 2 ; A rare sequel that assumes mastery of the previous game, and then proceeds to build from there. Harder, smarter, and shockingly bombastic. The creators went way out of their way to make sure this was the best sequel possible - in this case now also the only sequel possible. Its an insane, rambling tale that is as much about subverting expectations as it is living up to them.

5. Her Story ; Its really clever how simple the game is, but how much it trusts the player to make of it what they will. Like Portal, the central mechanic takes a moment to click, but suddenly you are engaging "emergent sandbox detective work" (I just coined that) while your brain works in ways you didn't know it could.

6. Splatoon ; Like Bloodborne, this is a mechanically delicious game that revolves around some frankly insane world building - a war between squids and octopi over control of bioelectric eels, fought with squirt guns and paint brushes full of weaponized ink, somewhere in a dystopian future far away. I kind of hate the matchmaking, and have no desire to replay any of the campaign levels (except for the last boss!!!) but aside from that its full of amazing, fresh ideas and plays like a dream. I'm grateful a game like this exists.

7. Destiny: The Taken King ; Basically, they fixed Destiny. This was my most played game of the year, and it was only out for the last couple months of it. Going through the raid fresh with my two best friends, who each live in different parts of the world, is gratifying and some of the best raw and co-operative gameplay I've ever experienced.

8. The Witcher 3 ; I got bored with the game, otherwise it would be up higher on my list. The problem is the game is just loaded with content - I'm at 100+ hours and I was more than content to finish at the 40 hour mark! Too much great content! I love the writing, how smart the quests play out, and that Geralt gives me enough room to roleplay as him but also stays true to himself at the same time. Oh, and the tree/wind physics are awesome. Sadly I don't enjoy the combat, and at 100+ hours the only reason for me to pick it up again is to see the story through. Eventually.

Anth0ny

worse year since 2012 for me. I really don't have a lot to say, so there won't be any 7000 word, 2 post write ups from me this year =/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom