• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2015 - Voting Thread [LAST DAY FOR VOTING]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASIS

I haven't played that many new games this year, mostly just older games. So I won't cast a vote this time. But as always, I think it's very appropriate to show appreciation to cheesemeister and timetokill for this huge undertaking. Thank you very much for your solid work!

Shion

Looks like I should try that Life is Strange demo that's been sitting on my PS4.
Unfortunately, the demo doesn't do the game justice in my opinion.

1. Witcher 3: Wild Hunt; this is the best game I've played this generation and is exactly what I've wanted out of the Zelda franchise since the original on the NES and Ocarina of Time on the N64.
Holy shit.

I had the exact same reaction the moment I saw the first footage from this game.

Sadly, though, I haven't played Witcher 3 yet.

Phediuk

The race between Bloodborne and Witcher is gonna come down to how many Witcher votes get disqualified due to formatting errors.

The race between Bloodborne and Witcher is gonna come down to how many Witcher votes get disqualified due to formatting errors.

Which of the following are acceptable?

The Witcher 3
The Witcher III
Witcher 3
Witcher III
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
The Witcher III: Wild Hunt
Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
Witcher III: Wild Hunt

Gurthang

Banned
1. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt ; Great game. Strangely I didn't really like as much as the first two but I didn't play that many games this year.
2. Life is Strange ; It would have been my Goty if Episode 5 wasn't so disappointing. Other than that, an excellent journey.

I didn't really play many games this year

1. Bloodborne: Not only the best game of the year but my new favorite game of all time. Perfect setting, amazing lore, challenging gameplay. Finished it 4 times this year despite a crazy backlog.
2. Ori and the Blind Forest: The best Metroidvania game I have played since SOTN.
3. Resident Evil Revelations 2: Not perfect but a step into the right direction. Episode 4 was the closest thing to what Resident Evil used to be since over a decade.
4. Fallout 4: Loved this game to bits the first 30 hours but then it just got stale. I'm completely overpowered and the game just lost all appeal to me. May get back into it one day.

That are all the new games I have played this year. Didn't found the time to play Witcher 3, PoE or MGSV yet and I don't want to list any Remasters.

Wrong formating. Replace the : with an ;

1. Bloodborne
2. Fallout 4
3. Metal Gear Solid V
4. Until Dawn

Add at least a ; with a comment for one of those 4 games or your vote goes to waste.

Imru’ al-Qays;190195322 said:

The Witcher 3
The Witcher III
Witcher 3
Witcher III

I think the majority of them will be recognised by the parser.

tuxfool

Banned
1. The Witcher 3; One of the greatest RPGs ever made, a beautifully realized open world, and my new all time favorite. Masterclass in quest design, world building, and storytelling. I'm gonna keep it short, but this game is an absolute masterpiece. I had fun with some other games this year, but this one was an experience like none other, and nothing else comes close. I've yet to play the DLC, so it's only going to get better.

2. Bloodborne; Solid gameplay, intelligent level design, beautiful art, and overall a very satisfying gaming experience. My first Miyazaki game, and I can't wait for Dark Souls 3.

3. Rise of the Tomb Raider; Loved it on the Xbox. Can't wait to replay it on PC.

4. Life is Strange.

5. Batman Arkham Knight.

6. Until Dawn.

7. Assassin's Creed Syndicate

8. Metal Gear Solid V

9. Halo 5

10. Volume

1. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt
2. Life is Strange

I didn't really play many games this year

You guys need ; as delimiters...

I wonder if one day people manage to read the OP without any problems.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Imru’ al-Qays;190195322 said:

The Witcher 3
The Witcher III
Witcher 3
Witcher III

The spreadsheet in the OP identifies the "official title" and some alternatives that the parser will most likely pick up.

[*]Games must be listed using their full title. Abbreviated entries will not be counted. Copy-and-paste from the spreadsheet to be sure.

1. Halo 5: Guardians ; It's a return to form for my favorite game series after 8 years of decline since Halo 3. The campaign is well designed and meaty with a decent plot but poor storytelling and the multi player is by far the best available in the console FPS space (from what I've played). The two first content updates have been substantial and of high quality and I'm excited to see what the game will look like in 6 months. I feel 343i have finally found a way to modernise Halo without ruining the core gameplay, and they seem to be very committed to responding to feedback and requests as quickly as possible.
2. Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin ; I don't think Scholar is better than the original in every way, but it's still a very, very good game and worth a separate playthrough.
3. Heroes of the Storm ; A MOBA that doesn't require an hour of free time every time you want to get a match in. It's not my favorite game in the genre but it's competent and the lower time requirement made it one of my most played games this year.

hydruxo

1. The Witcher III: The Wild Hunt ; What to say about this game that hasn't already been said? I never played the first two games, but I love RPGs so I figured I'd hop in fresh with TW3. I'm so glad I did. The characters, writing, quests, world and music were all breathtaking. The moment I thought the game was winding down and then I went to Skellige and discovered a whole new contintent was something I'll never forget. I still haven't beaten the main story or played Hearts of Stone yet because I don't want to stop playing. It's one of those rare games that I want to play as slow as possible and savor every minute I have with it.
2. Rocket League ; Easily the most pure fun I've ever had with a video game. As it should be. For such a simple concept, there's a ton of depth buried in there. You really do feel like you get better at the game each time you play it and that's a credit to what Psyonix has created with this game. The fact that it's been picked up by MLG just goes to show how much potential there is with the game.
3. Until Dawn ; This game came out of nowhere and blew me away after renting it on a whim. Truly engaging and intense experience throughout. I beat it in one day and enjoyed every minute of it. Best surprise of 2015.
4. Fallout 4 ; I liked FO3 quite a bit, but never finished it. Elder Scrolls was always more of my thing. FO4 fixed the gunplay and made the gameplay much more enjoyable than it was previously. FO4 isn't perfect by any means, but it didn't need to be. Bethesda crafts these amazing worlds that I just love getting lost in every time a new Fallout or TES game comes out. That's always been the biggest draw for me. For that first few weeks after Fallout 4 came out, I played nothing but that. I can accept the bugs and subpar writing when the game is as enjoyable as FO4 is.
5. Helldivers ; A fantastic co-op game that I wish more people were still playing. The friendly fire aspect of it really kept things interesting and made for some crazy and hilarious moments.
6. Star Wars Battlefront ; Even though it's got problems with lack of content, I've had alot of fun with the game and the gameplay is incredibly satisfying. Heroes vs. Villains is one of the best MP modes I've played in a long time.
7. Destiny: The Taken King ; Destiny is my most played game ever, so I'd be amiss to not mention it on this list somewhere. Bungie fixed alot of complaints from year 1 of Destiny with Taken King and overall I think it's deserving of praise. King's Fall raid is an incredible experience and the raids in Destiny have always been one of the biggest reasons I keep coming back to the game.
8. Batman Arkham Knight ; Rocksteady did a great job of making you really feel like Batman in this game. Batmobile is fun to use but the reliance on it ultimately brings the game down a notch. Fantastic storytelling and attention to detail though.

Turkoop

Banned
2015 was a great year, the year of the announcements and the year of the underdogs!

cJ1FH8d.jpg

1. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt ; I can't stop saying positive things about this game.
CDPR created an immersive world, a fantastic & breathtaking atmosphere, quests that can not be forgotten and the best story I've ever played in a RPG Game.
This was my greatest adventure this year, I've played 90 hours and I enjoyed every.single.minute
I will play this game next year again - because this masterpiece, must be played twice
Thank you CDPR!

8Ss92jc.jpg

2. Star Wars Battlefront ; For Star Wars fans like me, this was multiplayer I really needed. Game has an excellent atmosphere, great gunplay, a superb engine which looks fantastic on PS4, even it's 60 FPS!
I've played nearly 40 hours so far and I'm not done yet.
Great work Dice!

dzdZvmA.jpg

3. Fallout 4 ; Nuke'm BABY, I have nothing to say, I'm really enjoying this game, so much to do and to see, a lot of content, great gameplay and a detailed world.
This game made me in the first days really addict, unfortunately, we all have to work.. but it's a great game!

wNm4O0H.jpg

4. Until Dawn ; Yes this is our Underdog 2015! Supermassive created fucking incredible facial animations, an interesting story, great characters - and then there is the butterfly system.
I've played this game twice, and there were so many different endings by every chapter.
This was a unique experience and I hope Supermassive will develop a sequel!

hkaIGgQ.jpg

5. Dying Light
; I've never played Dead Island, so this was my first Techland game - And I'm totally impressed.
Zombies never felt so dangerous than in this game, I liked the variety of weapons, the day-night cycle where you become the hunted - this was a really intense experience, cant wait for the DLC!

lO6OiAN.jpg

6. SOMA ; It's really rare that horror games has a unique and interesting story, but in Soma you will find out some really weird things..
I really liked the story, the art of enemies(there were some really crazy things) and you will know the feel how to be useless.
This game gave me goosebumps and heart attacks, but it was damn good!

KKNpBdA.jpg

7. The Order 1886
; The Order had some interesting ideas, I really enjoyed the story, visuals are the best I've ever seen on PS4!
Even it was a short game, I enjoyed this and do not regret to bought it.

c0MXFcO.jpg

8. Rocket League ; I'm sure I've spent over 100 hours into this game, but you know, when you find someone you can play this game, there are noe excuses to stop.
It's funny, simple and addictive.

kDIIsA0.jpg

9 . Everybody's gone to the Rapture
; I dont know why but this is the year of the greatest stories - Rapture will tell you a unique and really interesting story.
Visuals are great, voice actors done a great job and I really loved the soundtrack!
Give this game a try!

n8PjnF2.jpg

10. Need For Speed ; NFS was definetly a good racing game, I really like the soundtrack, the weird characters, the variety of cars and of course DRIFTING.
Boy, drifting never felt so goooood in this game! Thumbs up Ghost Games.

Honorable mentions:
Bloodborne
AC: Syndicate
Tropico 5

GamerJM

Banned
I'm tempted to do a tally of this topic myself if a significant portion of votes are disqualified due to formatting errors.

Liking the last page. 3 total Kerbal mentions, two of them in a row. Need some KSP love up in here! Maybe I will go rattle the cage in the OT. I know long early access games suffer when it comes to GOTY since people have been playing it for years, but it is an amazing and far too important game to go unrecognized now that it finally hit 1.0 in 2015. Bring on the KSP love!

CJCW

1. Bloodborne ; A masterpiece. Combat is essentially perfect, with enough of a twist on the classic Souls formula to feel like its own thing. Art direction is spotless, with creature design taking the attention for the best looking things in the game. The lore is fantastic, with the move from Gothic to Lovecratian horror feeling natural. I can't say enough good things about it, other than it likely being the best game of the console generation thus far. Souls games aren't for everyone, but you owe it to yourself to at least give Bloodborne a shot.
2. Life Is Strange ; I took a week off MGS to see what the hype for this was about. Man, what a great choice. It feels like what all these narrative-focused games have been building toward. Unlike Telltale's work, decisions you make don't seem so black and white; I genuinely didn't know if I was doing the right thing at times. The characters are all memorable and likable (or hate-able). Cause and effect felt earned and always made sense. The dialog made me cringe at times, but I figure real-life teens probably would too. If you care about story in games, give it a shot, and thanks GAF for recommending it.
3. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; 50 hours in and I'm maybe half-way. I'm told it gets worse as it goes, but I'm not there yet so I'll rate it high anyway. Lack of story is disappointing as a fan of the series, but the controls are so perfectly smooth and the enemy encounters so much fun that it makes up for that. I guess I'll see if I hate it when I'm done, but for now I love it.
4. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt ; A fantastic experience. Such a well-written game, so much so that random side quests feel crucial. I actually wanted to do everything in this game, and not just for experience or completion, but because it all seemed so interesting. Combat is much better than the previous game, though still a bit wonky. Still, an achievement in the RPG genre.
5. Rocket League ; I barely play games online, but Rocket League is so good that I was hooked for a couple weeks on release, playing matches almost every day. The controls are perfectly tight and the physics are on point. Can't really complain, as it's everything you'd want it to be.
6. Grow Home ; I love 3D platformers more than any genre, so getting a good one nowadays is a blessing for me. Has a different take on the genre mechanically by emphasizing climbing over jumping. Beautiful looking and extremely charming; just a lot of fun.
7. Splatoon ; I've only had it for a couple weeks, but Splatoon is exactly what online shooters need: something that approaches the genre in an entirely different way. Platforming and shooting mix seamlessly together. Only wish online options were less restrictive.
8. Resident Evil: Revelations 2 ; I played it on my own, but was still a lot of fun. Shooting feels fantastic, and raid mode is incredible. Story's a bit dumb though, and Moira kinda sucks.
9. Lara Croft Go ; An even better version of the kind of game Hitman Go was. Just give this team any SE franchise to make a great mobile game.
10. Ori and the Blind Forest ; Gorgeous game, though it has some frustrating parts. Controls well enough and has a satisfying progression, in both skills earned and challenge.

Skux

1. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; Incredible emergent sandbox stealth gameplay. It's great feeling planning and executing the perfect infiltration, but it's just as fun when things go wrong and you have to improvise, because the game gives you the tools to manage both stealth and action seamlessly. The fluid controls make this a joy to play. 160 hours of playtime and I still play it almost every day to do a side op, replay a mission, manage my staff or do an invasion or two. As an added bonus it runs like a dream on PC.

2. Life Is Strange ; Sets a new standard for the genre with the best choose-your-own-adventure storytelling I've ever played, and some massive emotional set pieces. Memorable characters, top-tier voice acting and "indie film" atmosphere and soundtrack top off the package.

3. Cities: Skylines ; Finally a worthy successor to the SimCity series, with the size, depth, and detail expected of a city builder game. Great post-launch support by Colossal Order and a thriving modding scene make the game an ever-evolving, endlessly-playable sandbox.

4. Her Story ; For only a few dollars this was a great surprise, and an intruiguing foray into nonlinear storytelling methods that videogames can offer.

5. Batman: Arkham Knight

6. Ori and the Blind Forest

markstuckert

Neo Member
1. Bloodborne ; I barely got anywhere in this game—I'll revisit it eventually—but I can safely say that I “get” it
2. Batman: Arkham Knight ; my GOTY. What an achievement. So good
3. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; narrative aside, the gameplay is so good. So fun. So tight
4. Halo 5: Guardians ; like Phantom Pain, story notwithstanding, feels so good to play. Gorgeous, too. A solid foundation for 6
5. Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection ; holy crap they remastered 1. 2 and 3 were great as well. Psyched for 4 (mission accomplished)
6. Dishonored: Definitive Edition ; I never really “got” the art style last gen—I do now. What a game
7. Wolfenstein: The Old Blood ; I love this series. Also a lot of stealth in these—very satisfying stealth
8. Shovel Knight ; scratches a very particular itch
9. Axiom Verge ; see #8
10. Gears Of War: Ultimate Edition ; I swear the AI is worse *but* love it

Cracklox

Hmmm 20 pages in. Using my powers of Guestimation, I approximate:

- 10 pages worth of correctly formatted posts.

- 5 pages of incorrectly formatted posts

- 5 pages of people fighting the good fight, and calling people on their formatting

1. Rocket League ; Your thoughts on Game A.
2. Freedom Planet ; Your thoughts on Game B.
3. Yoshi's Woolly World ; Your thoughts on Game C.
4. Splatoon ; Your thoughts on Game D.
5. 3D OutRun; Your thoughts on Game E.
6. Super Mario Maker ; Your thoughts on Game F.
7. The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes ; Your thoughts on Game G.
8. Hatsune Miku: Project MIRAI DX ; Your thoughts on Game H.
9. Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water ; Your thoughts on Game I.
10. Mega Man Legacy Collection ; Your thoughts on Game J.

HM1. Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows ; Your thoughts on Game K.
HM2. Axiom Verge ; Your thoughts on Game L.

Will edit with details later.

2015 was pretty good ;P

1. Bloodborne ; I never played Dark Souls I or II, but played Demon’s Souls, but this game is something else in a amazing way. I was still debating if this game should be my GOTY, but after playing this game on NG+++ and the Old Hunters DLC last month made me realized how much I loved the design, music, and gameplay of this game. This game is by far one my favorite games of all time.

2. Fallout 4 ; Bethesda has made another great open world with great characters and fascinating areas to explore in this post apocalyptic wasteland. Even though my first play through save file was corrupted just days after it launch (47 hours in it), I jumped back in it at the beginning of December and that was the only game breaking bug I had faced. (Bethesda pls), Overall great game!

3. Splatoon ; The brand new shooter from Nintendo was something that was needed, addicting but not frustrating like other shooting games. Great content from Nintendo to make you jump back in, and great weapons to use in the game. The best surprise of the year!

4. Undertale ; My friends wouldn't shut up about this game, so I decided to try it myself and was amazed how great this story was. Amazing soundtrack and great characters to go with it. One of my enjoyable games that I got to play this year and now I can’t shut up about it!

5. Rocket League ; Do I really need to say anything about this game? Like really? It is hands down the best DAMN SPORTS GAME EVER. Period, well maybe NFL Blitz. This game was just something special the very first time I played it, just an awesome game.

6. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; This is the best Metal Gear gameplay wise that I have ever played, but the story is what made it not even in the top three. The gun modification and how you can build your army of Diamond Dogs is what made this game so fun, gameplay wise amazing, story wise disappointing.

7. Super Mario Maker ; The Shigeru Miyamoto Simulator was a success! This game just has everything that you have dreamed of about making your very own Super Mario Bros. level. The amount of detail and content they put into this game is just insane, great community who makes stages that are borderline impossible to do, to the cheesy easy ones, this game and community has it all.

8. Star Wars: Battlefront ; DICE has made a fantastic shooter with Star Wars Battlefront, the maps on the game are gorgeous and look outstanding, the content is thin but with the season pass hopefully they can add more maps and game modes to this game, but DICE did the Star Wars universe justice with this game.

9. Destiny: The Taken King ; The new expansion brought life into the game which didnt really had a lot of content in the first place but the end game content and the raid is what made it in the Top 10 because there is still not a game that has this experience with guns and RPG elements.

10. Call of Duty: Black Ops III ; The best COD experience I have had since BLOPS 2, and the best Zombies in the series as well.

Jolkien

Not that surprising that people don't read these days. The amount of times people ask basic question in OT's that the game clearly explain you how to do it is staggering.

graffix13

1. Bloodborne ; Demon's Souls was my 2009 GOTY, so I knew that I was going to love this game. And surprisingly I actually liked it better than Demon's Souls. LOVED the atmosphere, gameplay, story, all of it. I really need to play the DLC. But yes, this was by far the best game I've played in 2015.

2. Star Wars: Battlefront ; I was a little hesitant to pick this up due to no single player campaign, but I did anyways. I love Star Wars and really loved the previous Battlefront games on PS2. This game is better than both of those previous entries, IMO. Not too much depth, but that's ok. I can pick it up and play it and don't feel the need to sink 1000 hours into it to progress. Of course with the new movie coming out last week didn't hurt pushing this up for me.

3. Tales of the Borderlands ; Love the Borderlands series and I enjoyed TWD and Wolf Among Us so I was pretty sure I would enjoy this. I haven't finished the game yet, but it's my favorite TT game already.

4. The Order: 1886 ; Yes, it was more of a QTE/movie game but I really loved the story and atmosphere to it. Way too short, but since my game time is limited these days anyways I didn't mind that at all.

5. Axiom Verge ; A great indie Metroidvania game. Really enjoyed my time with it.

6. Batman: Arkham Knight ; What a disappointment this game was. I put it on the list simply because shortage of games I played this year. I was hoping this was going to challenge Bloodborne for GOTY, but after an hour or so playing this I knew it wasn't going to come close. Too much Batmobile, the story was 'meh', and the gameplay really didn't add anything new (except for the aforementioned mentioned Batmobile sections).

Not that surprising that people don't read these days. The amount of times people ask basic question in OT's that the game clearly explain you how to do it is staggering.

That or they do read and simply dont have the comprehension skills. I dont know which is worse.

pixxxelz

1. Bloodborne ; This was my first souls game and the only reason I bought is because of that making of the cleric beast theme video, I was stuck on the first area of the game for FOUR days! But I never gave up and boy am I glad I didn't, this is one of the most fantastic games I've ever played and the old hunters dlc made it even better.

Ravage

1. Bloodborne ; Melee combat perfected. Enemy and level design is top notch in Bloodborne, and I really like the new Rally mechanic.
2. Atelier Shallie ; The removal of the time limit sucks, but Shallie is still a wonderful Atelier game with its amazing setting, characters, crafting and exploration gameplay.
3. Yakuza 5 ; I'm nearing the end and can confidently say that it will be at least #3.
4. Sword Art Online Re: Hollow Fragment ; A mix of strategic and action-packed combat with the best stats system ever implemented in a RPG.
5. SteinsGate ; Would have been much higher had I not watched the anime first. The gold standard of VNs.
6. Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance ; The 5th iteration of Disgaea is the best one yet thanks to the numerous refinements made.
7. Beyond: Two Souls ; Surprisingly entertaining despite what I was led to believe.
8. Ar nosurge Plus ; Great port of one of the best games last year.
9. Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster ; Remaster of one of the games that defined the PS2 gen.
10. Final Fantasy Type-0 HD ; Too many flaws bumped Type-0 down to the bottom but I cannot deny that it's combat system has some great ideas

1. Bloodborne ; Spectacular level design, fantastic atmosphere, amazing bosses, great music and a combat system that's just so far mechanically ahead of most RPG's makes this the easy pick for my GOTY. It's simply one of the tightest and most cohesive experiences in gaming. My favorite Soul's game and one of the best games of all time.
2. Metal Gear Solid V ; A mechanical marvel combined with a sandbox that gives a crazy amount of freedom in tackling the objectives. One of Kojima's finest.
3. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate ; The new weapons were a fantastic addition. Like #1 and #2 on the list, this is another title that's a mechanical marvel.
4. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege ; One of the best FPS games I've played in some time. I just can't put it down.
5. Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance ; SPRG goodness. The best Disgaea game, by a considerable margin.
6. Shovel Knight ; Great bosses, artstyle, and music. Is in a league of it's own in the genre.
7. Rocket League ; Just pure fun. And lots of it.
8. Batman: Arkham Knight ; The best Batman game in the franchise. Batmobile sections didn't bother me and everything else was top notch.
9. Until Dawn; A pleasant surprise. Good writing and fantastic atmosphere kept me engrossed the entire time through.
10. Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection ; The collection reminded me why I loved the series so much. I enjoyed replaying all three games but UC2 in particular remains a pinnacle of the genre.

Honorable Mentions
x. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt ; A game with great writing and some fantastic quests, however the huge mechanical problems with the combat and a story that fizzles out through the half way mark makes this a good, rather then a truly great game.

1. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt
2. Fallout 4
3. Bloodborne
4. Undertale
5. Super Mario Maker
6. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
7. Dark Souls II: Scholar Of The First Sin
8. Batman: Arkham Knight
9. Borderlands: The Handsome Collection
10. Contradiction - Spot The Liar! ; "If I did this \m/ would it mean anything to you?"

The voting doesn't end until the 23rd of January right? Because I just started Xenoblade and i'm assuming it will probably make my top 10.

massoluk

Banned
1. Xenoblade Chronicles X ; Vast open world, flying mech, character and mech customization. It's the game I have been asking for ever since I started playing videogame.
2. Splatoon ; Most innovative shooter since Team Fortress 2. The mechanics are insanely deep thanks to the traversal mechanics involving the ink.
3. The Witcher 3
4. One Piece Pirate Warriors 3
5. Super Mario Maker
6. Samurai Warriors 4-II
7. Dragonball Xenoverse
8. Fallout 4
9. Tales of Zestiria
10. Grant Theft Auto 5 PC

1. Bloodborne ; Basically the culmination of From experience creating the other Souls games. The gameplay is really fast paced and fun to play, with the lore being at its peak too.
2. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt ; One of the few open world games that actually do open world gaming right, featuring a very immersive world, with really good side quests. I really hope more games follow this style.
3. Life Is Strange ; played it a bit when it launched, and although i liked it, decided do wait for more chapters to launch. Finished yesterday, and holy shit, that ending destroyed me. very few games make me that emotional. besides that, the setting,the use of soundtrack are all really top notch. Possibly the best game in its genre.
4. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; Probably the best stealth gameplay in the industry, and a really good looking game to boot. Just hoped the plot could've do that too.
5. Undertale ; One of the funniest games of the year, with very endearing characters, and a nice twist on the rpg gameplay, depending on how you decide to play. The soundtrack is incredible too.
6. Batman: Arkham Knight ; Very solid game, even if Rocksteady depended too much on the batmobile gimmick, which removed the chance for good boss fights.

1. Splatoon ; A great new IP from Nintendo. It takes what I consider a tired genre and makes it feel fresh. When Reggie said 'Splatoon is aiming to do for action shooters what Mario Kart did to racing' I couldn't help but chuckle. But now I get it. Splatoon is such an easy game to get into and play. As well as having a good amount of depth. The matches are short and sweet and I find myself playing longer than I had planned because of how it keeps me wanting more. There's some issues but I feel a lot will be mostly fixed in the next game. An amazing game and I especially love the amount of crow it served with a warm glass of piss.

2. Xenoblade Chronicles X ; This is a kind of game I like to call a "busy-do-stuff" game. What that means is that the game is designed to keep you busy with stuff to do. Whether it's fetch quests or kill that thing quests, the game just piles on stuff to do. This may sound strange that I'm putting a game that sound so unappealing so high on this list but there's more to it. The world of Mira is AMAZING. Crazy looking rock formations that tower to the sky. Wildlife that's is very imaginative. etc. Just running around this world rarely gets dull. It also does something I wish more games did: no distinct roads or paths. When I play a game like Skyrim I find myself glued to the main path only stepping off if there's another path to follow. XBX doesn't do this. There's no roads or trails. What leads you around is the landscape. If you see something off into the distance chances are you could reach it by making a beeline right for it. I really like this game and makes me excited for Monolith Soft's next project.

3. Monster Hunter 4: Ultimate ; I really really like this game. Monster Hunter is about hunting monsters (duh). Either by yourself, with cats, or other humans. Monsters range from big and scary to test dummies. The combat is very methodical in that you commit to your move . Like Tri did with swimming, 4 adds climbing and jumping (like 3D Zelda jumping). This adds more verticality to the areas you fight monsters in. You can also attack mid-air which can lead to mounting the monster. This makes a little minigame where you do rodeo with the monster while stabbing it. The game is much better with friends especially over Skype. Bring Cross to the west, Capcom.

4. Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth ; Like many I discovered the original from the lets player NorthernLion. And I'm glad I did because it was such an amazing game. This is the expansion to the remake of the original. Adds in a bunch of new items as well as new synergies. This is also my podcast game where each run lasts 45 - 90 min. and each time it's a new experience.

5. Rocket League ; A year ago I remember seeing a webm of a game on 4chan of a car hitting a ball into a goal. It was stuck in my mind for a long time. Turned out it was the original Rocket League called Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars. Then Rocket league came out and I was entranced. A soccer game where you had to actually chase and handle the ball! I was so in and it is so much fun. The thrill of chasing and hearing the roars of the other cars around you is incredible. Such a fun and unique game.

6. Super Mario Maker ; This one's for my 10 year old self who would've killed for a Mario game like this. It's such a well crafted level creating tool. A game that justifies the Wii U gamepad. Drag and drop things using the touchscreen, it's so simple. Of corse, a lot of the user created stuff is hot trash but you do run into a great level from time to time.

7. Fast Racing Neo ; I hate that this game came out around the same time as Xenoblade so I could put in more time into it. But what I did play of it was a blast. It has an amazing sense of speed and it looks great to boot. I feel the track designs are a little weak compared to other futuristic racers as I noticed from the tracks I played: where are the loops and corkscrews?. Besides that it's a great game and I WANT ANOTHER F-ZERO, NINTENDO!

8. Metal Gear Solid V ; This is my second Metal Gear Game that I actually played. First being Twin Snakes on the GameCube and the rest I saw on Youtube as I don't have the consoles necessary to play them (I'm not going to play MGS3D). Anyways, as a person who dove right into spoilers before the game came out I knew exactly what I was getting into. The story isn't the best in the series but I understand the circumstances that made that happen. The gameplay is amazing and some of the best in the genre. Big Boss handles really well and gunplay is very smooth. Looking forward to Kojima's next project.

I'll maybe add more if I remembered I missed something.

True Fire

1. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt ; The most beautiful game I have ever had the pleasure of playing. The writing and voice acting are also impeccable, and the world building and characterization of NPCs is beyond what I have ever seen in video games.

2. Bloodborne ; As a fan of atmospheric games, Bloodborne is absolute heaven (in a hellish package). The soundtrack deserves a special shoutout, as every boss fight sounds like a final boss battle, and the music does wonders for the gothic aesthetic.

3. Life is Strange ; Episodic done right. Life is Strange has an amazing realistic quality to it that really immersed you in the story. There were a few missteps along the way and the writing may have been a bit try-hard, but the game has set the bar for episodic games very high.

All right, fixed my formatting.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
  1. Super Mario Maker ; A magical title whose origins and iconic status makes the process of building a stage easy to understand and appreciate what works and what fails. A smartly designed title where for all the complicated hidden aspects make game designers gleeful in the options, allows any novice to make something fun on some level. A title whose variety allows for a large amount of types of stages to be made, from standard platformers to flying stages to mazes to even shoot-em-ups now. All with continuing updates that continue to enhance the experience.

1. Bloodborne ; Gameplay-wise, Bloodborne is unrivalled for me this year. The crazy story, insane monster designs, awesome music and incredible atmosphere all help it get propelled above the rest for me this year. It also makes me very excited for Dark Souls 3. If we keep getting this kind of quality, they can release them every single year for all I care.

2. Undertale ; It was quite a close call for me. I love how every single life matters in this game, something that seems pretty unique to it. And that's not just for gaming, but entertainment in general (or even beyond that). It tugs on the heart strings very successfully (although it feels a tiiiiiny bit forced at the very end) with is crazy but extremely endearing cast. Gameplay-wise I don't feel it's quite up there, although it's still a very interesting combination of things, but above all else, there's the OST. My god the soundtrack is good, if I were to purely judge it on that, it would have won the whole thing handily and that's quite impressive when you're up against games with entire teams working on the music that have access to large budgets and can hire professional bands, orchestras and so on.

3. Xenoblade Chronicles X ; An RPG that sucked me in like no other. I love the OST (although it's a bit hit and miss at times), the very addictive combat gameplay, the vast and beautiful world it gives you to explore. Buuuut, it does have some niggles and they do pile up a bit over time which keeps it from getting to a higher spot. Not quite on the level of its predecessor, but still highly entertaining when it gets rolling.

4. Splatoon ; Nintendo needs a lot more of this. It really feels far more in line with the times, something I believe most of its other franchises don't have in common with Splatoon. Gameplay-wise it's really unique, very addictive and always entertaining. I hope the NX hits it off better than the Wii U did because I believe there's a far bigger audience for this than just the tiny installed base it currently has access to.

5. Freedom Planet
6. Ori and the Blind Forest
7. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
8. Rocket League
9. Shovel Knight
10. Tales of Zestiria

1. Rocket League ; An online competitive game hasn't sucked me in this hard since Counter Strike: Source. This game amazingly blends simple controls, fast moving action that is easy to learn yet incredibly difficult to master. That's what keeps me coming back, playing this over other AAA games such as Witcher 3, Fallout 4, and Bloodborne. The rush of nailing that cross arena arial as time expires beats anything else.

2. Cities:Skylines ; Truly a masterpiece. I'm not a big fan of simulation games but this the deepest and beautifully complicated city builder I've ever played. Combined that with the amazing modding community makes this a game that I always come back to.

1. Bloodborne ;
2. Batman: Arkham Knight ;
3. Ori and the Blind Forest ; It was BEAUTIFUL from start to the end. one of the best platformers of my life, with amazing gameplay, great difficulty, awesome visuals and music and ... can't wait to play the expansion.
4. N++ ; I loved N & N+ and N++ was my first PSN game this gen. one of the best hidden gems of PS4 that every platformer lover should play it!
5. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt ;
6. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ;
7. The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth ;
8. Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number ;

Also DriveClub was in top 5 games of 2015 for me without a doubt, but it's a 2014 game and can't add it to the list.
Edit: Thank you Son Of Sparda

Phediuk

1. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt ; outstanding game in pretty much every way. Mind-blowing in both the ambition of its storytelling and the breadth of content available, even without DLC.

1. Until Dawn ; I was captivated with this game for every moment from beginning to end. Beautiful and eerie atmosphere, good sense of humor, and great tension and suspense. My second playthrough was even more intense with trying to keep all the characters alive. There were a few moments in that run toward the end that were some of the most nerve-wracking I've ever experienced in a game. My third run was also fun with succesfully getting all the lovable teens killed. Good replay value there. My one and only platinum in all my PS3/PS4 years, so that says something. Loved it.

2. Bloodborne ; My first souls game. I've had it for a month and a half and I'm still playing it. It's the only game I've played during this time. I'm taking so long to finish because I've been ridiculously absorbed in the world and gameplay. Working diligently to git gud, take in the sights, upgrade, learn new things, do chalice dungeons, help other hunters in their game (a blast). Finally getting good and beating Blood-starved Beast was infinitely satisfying. It seems like long ago. I watch my replay of me beating him from time to time because at first he destroyed me over and over, and then the combat began to click for me and suddenly I dominated him. No other game quite like this.

x. Journey ; For the PS4. This is in my top 5 favorite games of all time so it's worth mentioning.

Didn't play too many 2015 games so that's it.

Shang

1. Duck Game ; Odd choice, I know, but Duck Game is a really fun deathmatch game with lots of customization and great Workshop implementation. Simply a blast.

2. Undertale ; Probably the only game this year that genuinely surprised me. Fantastic soundtrack and a whole lot of soul.

3. Heroes of the Storm ; Heroes of the Storm is a MOBA done right; cannot recommend enough for people who couldn't get into the genre before.

4. Life is Strange ; This game's hella good. Except for the ending, but hey, what are you gonna do?

5. Super Mario Maker ; Possibly the best and most accessible level creation tool ever made. It takes some digging to find genuinely good user content, but even just creating levels is entertaining for hours on end.

6. Rise of the Tomb Raider ; Marked improvement on TR2013. Story is still a bit poopy, but everything else checks out.

7. Duelyst ; Haven't played that much yet, but it's like Hearthstone x Fire Emblem. Pretty P2W as it stands, though.

I missed a lot of the popular choices this year.

Hatty

1. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; Though the story leaves something to be desired, the rest of the game makes up for it in spades. Mission design, item variety, the many different ways a situation can be solved, and just how well the entire game controls. With nearly 100 hours spent in the game, more time than I have spent on the other Metal Gears games, yet I am still not tired of the gameplay loop. Definitely my favorite game this year.

2. Bloodborne ; Since Demon's Souls I have been a fan of this type of game. Never before has the combat in the series felt so smooth and fast paced. The lack of proper shields in the game really exposed my reliance on them in the past and allowed this entry to feel really unique. Besides the excellent gameplay you also have fantastic bosses and environments. Level design is top notch as well. truly this is the best game on PS4 and the second best game of the year.

3. Super Mario Maker ; Through the years I have messed with many games with level editors, it wasn't until I played Mario Maker that I felt that I truly had a full grasp on all the tools. Due to Mario being such a well know franchise with set rules, it makes it easy to know how to build a proper level. Never before has it been so easy and fun to use a level editor.

4. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt ; Great open world, great Writing, great characters, this game is one of the greatest open world games in recent memory. Though the combat could use some work the rest of the game makes up for it.

5. Undertale ; This game came out of nowhere for me. Decisions really seem to matter in this game but not in the yes or no way, but in the way you play the game. The choices you make feel natural and your time playing could be completely different depending on how you treat enemies and bosses. Besides that is the great writing and music, my biggest surprise of the year for sure.

6. Splatoon
; I'm not one to play multiplayer shooters, but there was something special about splatoon. Maybe it was the great artstyle, or the gameplay which didn't focus on killing other players, either way Nintendo has created a supremely unique multiplayer shooter.

7. Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition ; Usually I don't like to include remasters on these types of lists, but I feel like a full games worth of content has been added to this game. The game is pretty much only held up by its excellent combat system so with the addition of three new characters the game is now better than ever before.

8. Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengence ; Though the story is pretty weak in comparison to other entries the gameplay advances and great characters make this one of the better Disgaea games.

9. Xenoblade Chronicles X ; I didn't really enjoy the first Xenoblade game but this one hooked me. Maybe I'm just a sucker for giant robots but this game is a joy to explore.

10. Rocket League ; A truly unique multiplayer game. The gameplay is so smooth and the action is so tight it easy to have fun with the game even if you're really bad at it (like me).

Honorable Mentions
x. Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin ; Who knew changing some enemy placements and making small difficulty adjustments could make a game so much better? I was never a fan of Dark souls 2, its my least favorite souls game for sure but this newer version improved my opinion of the game.

x. Transformers: Devastation ; Who would have thought that a licensed transformers game released in 2015 would have any business being good? Platinum nailed the G1 style and they made the game fun to boot. As a fan of the older transformers show and huge fan of Platinum this game was a real treat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom