• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year Awards 2007

Yoboman

bycha said:
I'm pretty sure it would do much better if Uncharted was released on 360.
It's a ten hour SP game. I'm surprised it got that high. And I think the only reason is because it's really the only killer app exclusive PS3 got this year

bycha said:
I'm pretty sure it would do much better if Uncharted was released on 360.
No not really. I think the game scored that high because it was one of the few really big good games on the PS3, so every PS3 owner voted for this game. Kind off the same situation with Mario Galaxy (dangerous territory here). If Uncharted was released on the 360 for example, it would have a lot of competition with equally great games.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
AniHawk said:
PC Game of the Year: The Witcher

2. STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl
3. World of Warcraft: Burning Crusade
4. Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer
5. Supreme Commander

:D

Xater

Great list + good job Ani thx!

I am only disappointed about Halo 3 over COD 4 but it's not like I will loose any sleep over it.

Anth

If you own only a single console, then you desperately have to try to convince yourself that the games for that console are the best ones out there.

Works for both Galaxy and Uncharted, except that multi-console-owners, like reviewers, pimp Galaxy a lot more than Uncharted.

edit: On the other side of the argument, small install bases hurt on lists of this kind. You won't vote for Uncharted unless you could actually play it. PC exclusives and PS3 exclusives suffer from that.

Looking at the list, I think the effects cancelled each other out for Uncharted. It's about where I expected it to be, maybe slightly too high.

AniHawk

I'm actually a little surprised to see Metroid Prime 3 up there. I thought it was good. I even put it in my top 10. I just didn't think most people here would agree. Seemed to be pretty forgotten.

Shoho

Banned
Yoboman said:
MGS3 would've and should've won regardless

agreed. MGS3 > everything else.

And im glad that COD4 was not goty. Im getting sick of the crazy stupid GOTY crap surrounding that game. it was gamespys GOTY aswell. and IGNs aswell. screw em!

Amir0x

Banned
Happy to see Metroid Prime III wasn't completely forgotten by neoGAF top ten. Happy Phantom Hourglass got beat out of the T10, though it shouldn't even be in the top twenty. Happy with the top spot, can't believe how close Orange Box and Bioshock were to each other. Might as well be a tie! Great idea including it as a single entity, because it so totally is the best game value EVER.

Seems even PS3 fans have a reason to be happy... Uncharted was ignored on almost every list this year :lol

Shard said:
. Anyway, nice list, nice awards thread, excellent job for the most part. Not flawless though, unless the awards ceremony isn't over yet, I can't help but notice the big time omission of awards for the various digital downloadable sectors.

I was bored( & wanted to see Sn & Punishment in a top 5) So :

1 Warhawk
2 Super Stardust HD
3 Pac- Man CE
4 Everyday Shooter
5 Sin & Punishment

Dabanton

Ferrio said:
Really something wrong with the industry (or fanbase I suppose) when 5-6 games in the top ten are FPSes.

People like shooting shit.

What's wrong with that?

Seriously though this year has been a most excellent year for FPS.

u_neek

Great list and good to see Persona 3 getting so many votes. I'm currently 9 hours into the game and if I had played it a bit more I'm sure it would have been on the top of my list as well.

Wollan

Ferrio said:
Really something wrong with the industry (or fanbase I suppose) when 5-6 games in the top ten are FPSes.

There's an argument to be had that viewing the world from a first person angle is the most natural and involving perspective, therefor fps games prevail above other genres and push technology forward (with the most talented developers overall going for that genre).

squicken

Thanks for doing the all that work Anihawk. You or whoever takes over the role next year should try to come up with some sort of automation. Use an Excel template, whatever is done in the sales prediction threads, or have EviLore code up some Web 2.0 shit. I can't imagine counting all that the old fashioned way is fun.

I'm actually shocked at how decent that list is. In a popular vote, high profile games on a Nintendo system will always chart high. We've all learned to accept that. So the only glaring mistake I see here is Bioshock being 10 places too high, but even with that GAF still had the wisdom to bump up OB ahead of it. So kudos to GAF on picking good games!

Amir0x

Banned
squicken said:
Thanks for doing the all that work Anihawk. You or whoever takes over the role next year should try to come up with some sort of automation. Use an Excel template, whatever is done in the sales prediction threads, or have EviLore code up some Web 2.0 shit. I can't imagine counting all that the old fashioned way is fun.

I'm actually shocked at how decent that list is. In a popular vote, high profile games on a Nintendo system will always chart high. We've all learned to accept that. So the only glaring mistake I see here is Bioshock being 10 places too high, but even with that GAF still had the wisdom to bump up OB ahead of it. So kudos to GAF on picking good games!

Normally I'd be all "Nintendo fans are something else", but this year (and last year, actually) Nintendo games actually deserved top honors. Super Mario Galaxy is a shining achievement that will be revisited for years to come, and will likely age supremely well to boot. It really is by any standard a superb choice for top pick, even if you personally enjoyed something else more.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
What an awesome top 10. And my two favorite games of the year at the top. Crackdown #9. God of War 2 is not forgotten. Happy new year indeed.

also thanks for the hard work AniHawk. This year must've been something else, sooo many votes

squicken

Amir0x said:
Normally I'd be all "Nintendo fans are something else", but this year (and last year, actually) Nintendo games actually deserved top honors. Super Mario Galaxy is a shining achievement that will be revisited for years to come, and will likely age supremely well to boot. It really is by any standard a superb choice for top pick, even if you personally enjoyed something else more.

Yeah I should have reserved my bitching to Metroid and that new Zelda game everyone hates. And in general that the last 3 GAF GOTYs have been Ninty games.

But enough of my whining. I hear good things about Galaxy from people who aren't Nintendo 4ever folk, so I don't have a problem with it being number one.

The fact that Uncharted and Metroid can be so high up on the list with Mario comfortably on top, and Bioshock not hogging the #1 spot (or even #2, wow) makes the crown this the best GOTY list I've seen so far and probably will see period.

Great job GAF, I love you guys. :D

EDIT: Anihawk is VERY much included in "GAF". Awesome!!

Struct09

Wow, compare this list to the 2006, 2005, and 2004 lists. 2004 wasn't bad, but 2007 was amazing.

Hard to disagree with the list, people here seem to have good taste.

I'm also happy that TOB beat BioShock in the end :D

Best list I´ve seen so far! Galaxy definitely deserves that GOTY even though I didn't really like it alot. Nice to see Corruption up there too, very well deserved.

Dartastic

That's a genuinely great list. I can't really disagree with any of the games on there, or the order. Good job, GAF. And great job compiling all this stuff AniHawk. Must have taken forever. We appreciate the effort.

My only problem is a personal one... I JUST started playing Uncharted, and I would have put it somewhere on my list if I had played it in time. Ah well. Great list.

angelfly

Nice work AniHawk.

Looking at this list just makes me think even more about how great this year was in terms of great games. I hope 2008 is able to compare.

bycha

Souldriver said:
No not really. I think the game scored that high because it was one of the few really big good games on the PS3, so every PS3 owner voted for this game. Kind off the same situation with Mario Galaxy (dangerous territory here). If Uncharted was released on the 360 for example, it would have a lot of competition with equally great games.

More people would play it, game would made it to more lists and score more points overall.

Yoboman said:
Roll your eyes all you want, multiplayer and co-op (to a lesser extent) would've fit in brilliant with Uncharted

Co-op -- no, impossible in adventure game and BAD for storytelling.

I guess people don't really care about storytelling that much.

Top Bottom