• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop 2011+ |OT| of Listening to Classics (Not f&$@ing U-God)

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoungHav

Banned
"Take 27 MCs, put 'em in a line and they out of alignment
my assignment since he said retirement
hiding behind 8 Mile and The Chronic
Get rich but dies rhymin', this is hot science
Now add 23 more from Queens to B-more
I'm over their heads like a bulimic on a seesaw
Now thats 50 porchmonkeys ate up at the same time
Nasty Nasdaq, ya'll gon' bow holmes its Dow Jones"
--- R.I.P. 50 Cent

Doesn't the beat for Queens Get the Money sound like Pixeljunk Monsters?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
spindashing said:
evf3S.png
Every time you post, I think, "what would Finn do?"

I mean I had no real beef with Fixed in the first place, and did it for fun, so I'd rather dead it. On the other hand, if he or anyone else here actually believes he's on my level, I almost feel obligated to waste time displaying the gulf which exists.

But then does it even matter? It's such an empty proposition.

K.Jack said:
Every time you post, I think, "what would Finn do?"

I mean I had no real beef with Fixed in the first place, and did it for fun, so I'd rather dead it. On the other hand, if he or anyone else here actually believes he's on my level, I almost feel obligated to waste time displaying the gulf which exists.

But then does it even matter? It's such an empty proposition.

seriously?

LOL. ok Dylan...

<edit> I think I did say "take your track and my track to be judged anywhere"

post it on any hip hop forum, take it to any neighborhood in america...whether suburban or hood.

I promise...I win.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Tokubetsu said:
Fuck Jay Eletronica.
Fuck Jay Electronica for being a myth.
Fuck Michael Vick for being Michael Vick.
Fuck T.I. for delaying the WTT tour and shitting up all it's dates.

songs aight tho.

Recon

Banned
Fixed2BeBroken said:
LOVE IT....

Jay elec is like my favorite emcee currently. so i fiend for anything to drop from him. when the shit is his album gonna come out....

The same day that the new Outkast album drops.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
ReconYoda said:
The same day that the new Outkast album drops.

Outkast is dropping an album in 2011

Daddy Fat Sax... By Big Boi

kamspy

Elmatic is a nice little novelty. Des summed it up really well though. Dude was just tracing over a classic.

And yeah. Em is more of a manufactured product than an artist. Did he always rap over zany circus beats? Or just when he signed to Interscope? Dude is the Taylor Swift of rap. He's got a marketable look and character, but its people pullings strings behind the scenes that make him as big as he is. If he didn't have team Iovine in every session I don't see it working out the way it did. Give it up to Mike Elizondo. He's the real talent behind the hits.

Recon

Banned
kamspy said:
Elmatic is a nice little novelty. Des summed it up really well though. Dude was just tracing over a classic.

And yeah. Em is more of a manufactured product than an artist. Did he always rap over zany circus beats? Or just when he signed to Interscope? Dude is the Taylor Swift of rap. He's got a marketable look and character, but its people pullings strings behind the scenes that make him as big as he is. If he didn't have team Iovine in every session I don't see it working out the way it did. Give it up to Mike Elizondo. He's the real talent behind the hits.

You are either purposely ignorant or stupid regarding Em, I'm not quite sure which. Em was a good MC before Dre and Interscope. Your acting like no other label helps shape their artists hits. The real reason for his meteoric rise in the hip hop world was A. His talent. B. Good Looking white guy the girls could dream about. 3. Enough street cred because of Dre's backing. It was the perfect storm. I agree that his marketability helped him a ton, but not to give any credit to him being an ill MC is quite laughable.

Edit: If you want a manufactured MC, look at Flocka. That shit was damn choreographed.

kamspy

Em was a different mc before signing with Jimmy. He's talented, but his the work he did for Interscope was not his art. He trashed his entire family (daughter included) for the benefit of Interscope Records and their investors. He's almost a victim.

HiResDes

I think that's a really interesting debate...Eminem's talent vs. his marketability, both of which were quite extensive at one time. How much of his talent did he squander in his effort to reach a pinnacle of white lower-class rebellious angst? How much of his image has been manufactured?

Recon

Banned
kamspy said:
Em was a different mc before signing with Jimmy. He's talented, but his the work he did for Interscope was not his art. He trashed his entire family (daughter included) for the benefit of Interscope Records and their investors. He's almost a victim.

Not entirely different. He never trashed his daughter, but his mother was fair game. Em appealed to me because his life was an open book. You call that whoring himself out, i call that brutal honesty that was severely missing at that time. You don't make 2 diamond albums and still get controlled. Dude always made the hit singles, but then did his own shit for the rest of the album. Obviously you are just throwing out your opinion without any backing, so i won't argue more about this.

Esch

Banned
I don't disagree with you that Eminem is a product, anyone signed to a major label is. And there's no doubt in my mind that he was sculpted, marketed and pitched.

I just think it's hilarious that YOU in particular are lodging this complaint given your support of plenty of cut and dried major label characters and simultaneous disdain of anything with an indie flavor. It's downright silly, to be honest.

Recon

Banned
HiResDes said:
I think that's a really interesting debate...Eminem's talent vs. his marketability, both of which were extensive at one time. How much of his talent did he squander in his effort to reach a pinnacle of white lower-class rebellious angst? How much of his image has been manufactured?

Em always had the talent, and still does, but just doesn't have the range that other less talented MC's had. He basically rapped about his mom, Kim, drugs, trashing celebs,killing kim, and his love for his daughter. But he had such clever wordplay that no one cared. Only recently has he tried to extend his range, and it has met with mixed results. I don't think he squandered anything, because i don't think he actually cared about rapping about anything else until recently.

Recon

Banned
Fixed2BeBroken said:
lets put this on the gaf mix tape

We should just put a bunch of our solo joints on a gaftape, then maybe a few group joints. That way it would actually get done.

kamspy said:

firstly, marshall mathers lp is probably one of the best albums ever.

secondly. art is subjective, and the way he decides to craft his work is on him. with that said....the only songs that were ever a "product" and not "his art" was the first singles he would release for his albums....u know which ones im talking about...but the other tracks on his album would be all him.

in regards to your last sentence...how does this not apply to every single artist signed to a major label? its all the same

ReconYoda said:
We should just put a bunch of our solo joints on a gaftape, then maybe a few group joints. That way it would actually get done.

hell yea, thats what i was thinking actually...il send you and soul and that other cat, i gotta look his name up on some ideas.

HiResDes said:
See that's how you take something and make it your own...I think I might be a Soul Creator stan

Afrocentric-Asian said:
Ditto, that was dope man!

Fixed2BeBroken said:
lets put this on the gaf mix tape

appreciate it.

Oh, as for more potential gaf mix tape tracks...I might as well go ahead and link to an album I just uploaded yesterday. Including another Soul/Kanye collabo

Back on the current topic, Infinite >>>> any other Em album

hipster-ariel-meme-generator-below-sea-level-i-m-more-underground-118b7d.jpg

half-serious half-joking

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I need better recording equipment. I shoved my shitty mixer and old mic into my computer and the sound quality was so just so garbage.

Recon

Banned
soul creator said:
appreciate it.

Oh, as for more potential gaf mix tape tracks...I might as well go ahead and link to an album I just uploaded yesterday. Including another Soul/Kanye collabo

hipster-ariel-meme-generator-below-sea-level-i-m-more-underground-118b7d.jpg

half-serious half-joking

Infinite was Great mainly because of the title track. That said, Infinite is one of his best songs.

infinite was a dope ass album...but marshall mathers lp had tracks that just was beyond what any rapper was doing at the time of release.

KIM in itself could never be done by any rapper and be as good as it was

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Infinite was generic underground rap. It was a C level album at best. Saying it was his best album is idiotic and reeks of "I liked em before he was shady" hipster bullshit.

Recon

Banned
Fixed2BeBroken said:
infinite was a dope ass album...but marshall mathers lp had tracks that just was beyond what any rapper was doing at the time of release.

KIM in itself could never be done by any rapper and be as good as it was

I have only listened to Kim a couple of times, only because of the raw emotion in that track. I feel so damn bad listening to it.

soul creator said:
appreciate it.

half-serious half-joking
jesus, you were serious about the 10 albums things huh? lol, damn good stuff. I'd like to hop in on the gaf tape.

nns3d

ReconYoda said:
I have only listened to Kim a couple of times, only because of the raw emotion in that track. I feel so damn bad listening to it.

Same, I remember one of my friends said that he was a "fan" of Eminem and then I played him that track. The reaction was gold.

siddx said:
Infinite was generic underground rap. It was a C level album at best. Saying it was his best album is idiotic and reeks of "I liked em before he was shady" hipster bullshit.

Eminem was channeling the spirit of Nas on that album, stop hating. He was HUNGRY

nah I mostly agree with you. The title track and a couple others were still dope though.

Tguy said:
jesus, you were serious about the 10 albums things huh? lol, damn good stuff. I'd like to hop in on the gaf tape.

Haha, I basically see it as my blog for the last 4 years. Except my blog happens to rhyme, and has a beat behind it.

kamspy

Every other rap artist didn't use their family's public reputation as a springboard to fame. His mom, the mother of his daughter, his daughter; all destroyed. Em makes it clear that he feels the media spotlight is the worst thing that could ever happen to someone. Then, he has no problem throwing his daughter's full govt name all over records. I guess if it made Dre give him that special nod it was worth it. No doubt that little girl is going to have to change her name and lie about her family for the rest of her life. That's more like exploitation than art. Label exploited him with drugs and influence, then he goes and exploits the names of the 3 people closest to him.

kamspy said:
Every other rap artist didn't use their family's public reputation as a springboard to fame. His mom, the mother of his daughter, his daughter; all destroyed. Em makes it clear that he feels the media spotlight is the worst thing that could ever happen to someone. Then, he has no problem throwing his daughter's full govt name all over records. I guess if it made Dre give him that special nod it was worth it. No doubt that little girl is going to have to change her name and lie about her family for the rest of her life. That's more like exploitation than art. Label exploited him with drugs and influence, then he goes and exploits the names of the 3 people closest to him.

the dude talked about his life. what? do you want him to rap about money and bitches? flossin on 22s? he just kept it funky and spoke about what was going on with him. how is this any different from John Leguizamo's stand up which is similar in respects when basing his art on his family and life?

at the end of the day....art is subjective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom