• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXV| Afterlife

Status
Not open for further replies.

kai3345

Banned
I just want to be a normal person. To be able to hold a job and do normal things, but DJ Khaled is ruining my life. Again.
Every time a new video comes out, he betrays everything I know, and leap back into uncertainty and despair. The mind wanders. Is he for real or is this an act?

How can you make an album where you are the main star, but as a producer not singing, but you're the main feature on all the tracks yelling your name and other incoherent catch phrases like "we the best music" which doesn't make sense. Nothing about Khaled makes sense.
Hold You Down and Gold Slugs feature outrageous monologues that nearly hospitalized me. But this saga, continuing in Do You Mind, tops both of them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xGhK6qgPtM < What is with the monologue at the end? What the hell is he saying??

What is worse. I like Khaled. The impression I got from him from h3h3 visiting him is that he is decent person who is just having fun, but he is messing up everything I thought I knew about the world- and myself.
And I cannot understand it. Because first time I saw Khaled it was like this:

Holding a umbrella for fat joe 10 years ago. How are we here today. Why are we here? When Khaled offers you velvet cake or say he'll buy your houses houses I thought I knew what he meant. But this is turning into Nirvana lyrics in the framework of a David Lynch script.
So what now? Do I admit that I've listened to Holy Key dozens of times over and spill the beans to family and friends, who will surelly annex me? Or do I purge my spotify account and seek help? "Another One" is not a catch phrase. It's a curse. It's a blessing. Khaled has ruined me.

lmfao

https://soundcloud.com/torylanez/bluejayseason
x37FTVA.gif

Play Picasso has not missed YET &#128293; &#128293; &#128293; &#128293;

Dereck

Cats putting Atrocity Exhibition over Hybrid? Nah, son.
AE drops in quality after Pneumonia for me. Even though like people have been echoing since forever it's silly to compare the albums so early, and this is coming from the guy that likes Black & Brown over anything else he's done.

HiResDes

AE drops in quality after Pneumonia for me. Even though like people have been echoing since forever it's silly to compare the albums so early, and this is coming from the guy that likes Black & Brown over anything else he's done.

I thought you fucked with XXX pretty heavy though

Dereck

I fuck with XXX heavy, XXX is his best project but Black & Brown has this weird quasi-Madvillain thing going on and Jordan VIII is an incredible track.

Adderall Admiral is easily a top 5 Danny track however

I fuck with XXX heavy, XXX is his best project but Black & Brown has this weird quasi-Madvillain thing going on and Jordan VIII is an incredible track.

Adderall Admiral is easily a top 5 Danny track however

Danny nails the experience of Adderall in his interviews. Crashes were the worst for me

Koozek

The whole reason I got my PS3 back in 2011-2012 was for Final Fantasy Versus 13. I remember being so excited for that and Gran Turismo 5, and freaking out over the thought of getting to play both of them in the near future.

As it turned out, GT5 was a disappointment. I'm hoping FF15 doesn't turn out the same.

HiResDes

I think it's pretty ridiculous that it's been over two decades and FF still hasn't found a battle system that's even half the fun of the Grandia 2 or 3

Koozek

I think it's pretty ridiculous that it's been over two decades and FF still hasn't found a battle system that's even half the fun of the Grandia 2 or 3
Lightning Returns (FFXIII-3). Believe me. Best battle-system in the series. Perfect hybrid of real-time and ATB. It's a shame it was used in a FFXIII-branded game and will stay overlooked :/ Yeah, the story is ridiculous garbage, but some of the sidequest are actually pretty charming and the game doesn't take itself seriously like FFXIII and FFXIII-2. Also great soundtrack.

Woot! Both of you folks make this thread much better as well.
Aw stop it, you :3
Ignore Nibel, he doesn't even know you.

Koozek

I think it was Des who said he found Endless better than Blonde. I agree. I'm liking both more and more. Probably no AOTY material for me, but still sincerely nice music.

Reckoner

I think it was Des who said he found Endless better than Blonde. I agree. I'm liking both more and more. Probably no AOTY material for me, but still sincerely nice music.
I like both, but Blond has been growing a lot for me. It went from being a big disappointment to music I like getting sentimental to. The thing that stands out on the album is that there's definitely a sonical mood to it that feels like a reckless teenage story. Like that Palo Alto movie.

I wish Frank rapped a bit more, though.

American Gangster is lyrically better than every Jay or Nas album., and it's more consistent song to song than any of them.

There's literally not a dip in song quality across the entire project, Reasonable Doubt my wane a little on Ain't No Jigga and Cashmere Thought's.
It's easily has his most advanced lyricism, i'm talking multi's, i'm talking internals, i'm talking metaphors, i'm talking similes, i'm talking entendre's, i'm talking just general song writing ability.
Nas has a very simple skill-set as an MC, and that's storytelling and multi-syllabic rhyming, with an over-reliance on similes, while Jay not only has that (absolutely's insane internals), and has it in spades as his more laid back flow can lead to people missing missing how many bars he can carry a rhyme across and in how many words within the bars, but as listed above he does it with simply more intelligent rapping.

Apart of the reason he does this so well is, well his flow, he doesn't just go over a track and spit non stop until you get the chorus and do it again with a forceful voice in a way that leads to every bar being more pronounced, he'll give you pauses and switch his voice up to add a visceral descriptiveness to the bars.
A perfect example of that is on Fallin where he pauses and raises his voice up and down to get across to you the exercises he's spitting (with a perfect use of the chorus on both this verse and the second verse as starting point's for the "falling" wordplay) :

"(Fallin') And you can't get up
All you do is push-up, pull-up, sit-up"
Or take "Sweet" for example:
"So I make no apologies, crooked policies
So a G a nigga gotta be
We playing for property no Monopoly
So I'll pass go and let my nephew follow me
They say the child shall lead
So I take it far as I can and then we shall see
Shall we dance with the devil for a beat
I pray to God I ain't got two left feet
Do the hustle put ki's in the street
Then I'm ballroom dancing
Ke-ke'in in the suite

Sweet BB's on the feet
TV's in the seat, ene-mies on the creep
It's so corrupt
Soak it up it's a lesson
Every fuck up
One day you're up
Next day you're down
Long as you stay the same it'll come back around"
Perfect interpolation of the songs title into the verse in multiples bars (he does the same in the first versez using Sweet as an intro to the track and making it sound pleasurable, only to follow up with " and still there's pain" with snaps you into what the track is really about, which is also a follow up on the previous track Roc Boys where you can hear Jay saying 'Sweet' on the outro, only to show the eventual fall out of the high life on the next track)
But to the main point, on this verse you have the bolded, which is just amazing, how in a few bars Jay's able to build up an effective metaphor that doesn't just work as an effective metaphor, but works as a story in and of itself, that self references back to track one "Pray".

He says "Shall we dance with the devil for a beat", which is already a known phrase, but he uses beat which can mean a period of time, or something like a police officers beat, and for the song as he's a rapper an actual beat, and is essentially saying his dance with the devil is his time as a dealer.

And then he continues the metaphor with "I pray to God I ain't go to left feet", which would mean he's incapable of dancing or in this case succeeding in the game.
His usage of praying to God not only means the general phrase which might not mean you're actually praying, but references back to the end of verse two on Pray where in the final line he prays to God for his endeavors in criminal activities, AND, he's praying to God for help in his dance with the Devil which shows the contradiction, and the two sides to this life which is at the heart of Sweet.

Then he continues the metaphor with The Hustle, a dance that originated among Puerto Ricans in the Bronx and used at house parties, something that a "street", young, unsophisticated, "low class" Jay Z would use, to double as a metaphor for hustling as in drugs putting ki's in the street (does the ki usage also double as in piano keys as in music for the dancing? I dunno), and now suddenly he's moved up from that "low" dancing, and low level hustling, as he's ballroom dancing, as he's above those "regular" dances, and as he's above that dancing he's not dealing in the streets now, he's hiding drugs in suites (that's what Ke Ke is to do), and he's ke ke'ing (which means to giggle) at the success he's had.

And that's not even the half of anything on that one track, let alone the entire album which is filled with gems, and incredible internals/multis like on the title track, which he manages to do with more metaphors,punchlines, and just general cleverness and great songwriting :
"I'm from the 80's
Home of the heroin
Era of the hustlers
The world is my custy
New Rich Porter
The way I flip quarters
Front on all these other rap artists, but me
Momma was a mink wearer
Papa ran numbers
So it's plain to see where my whole plan come from
American dream
I'm living the life still
The way I shine is like a zillion dollar light bill
Still I'm grinding, army jacket lining
Forty below Timbs on, getting my M's on
My best friends gone, I seen bad days
Still find songs that I hear him on
Getting my Mary J. Blige "Reminisce" on
I hear his voice in my mind like, nigga live on
So I get on that fly shit I been on
Spin on corners in Enzo with rims on
But for info, puffing on Endo-Nesia
Give me amnesia
I ease up, that right, I'm high nigga
I want the sky
The world when I'm done
I'm give it to my sons
Let em live it up, split it up, switch it up
Sixes kit it up
Man I did it up, done
The rest of my belongings belong in the hall of fame
A list of hits next to all my names
I came"

I'm tired of the narrative among Jay being, "Oh Jay has a better catalog than Nas but Nas is a better rapper/lyricist), or "Jay is a good songwriter but Nas, Nas is better spitter", or "Jay has the money/commercial success but Nas is a real artist."

No, this album is peak Jay, and it shows exactly why Jay is a more intelligent rapper and a better poet than Nas, and many of the other rappers people try to put above him, none of that one toe in the water "I like Jay more and think he has better albums than Nas but Nas is a better rapper" garbage.

Koozek

American Gangster is lyrically better than every Jay or Nas album., and it's more consistent song to song than any of them.

There's literally not a dip in song quality across the entire project, Reasonable Doubt my wane a little on Ain't No Jigga and Cashmere Thought's.
It's easily has his most advanced lyricism, i'm talking multi's, i'm talking internals, i'm talking metaphors, i'm talking similes, i'm talking entendre's, i'm talking just general song writing ability.
Nas has a very simple skill-set as an MC, and that's storytelling and multi-syllabic rhyming, with an over-reliance on similes, while Jay not only has that (absolutely's insane internals), and has it in spades as his more laid back flow can lead to people missing missing how many bars he can carry a rhyme across and in how many words within the bars, but as listed above he does it with simply more intelligent rapping.

Apart of the reason he does this so well is, well his flow, he doesn't just go over a track and spit non stop until you get the chorus and do it again with a forceful voice in a way that leads to every bar being more pronounced, he'll give you pauses and switch his voice up to add a visceral descriptiveness to the bars.
A perfect example of that is on Fallin where he pauses and raises his voice up and down to get across to you the exercises he's spitting (with a perfect use of the chorus on both this verse and the second verse as starting point's for the "falling" wordplay) :

So a G a nigga gotta be
Ke-ke'in in the suite

Sweet BB's on the feet
It's so corrupt
Soak it up it's a lesson
Every fuck up
One day you're up
Next day you're down
Perfect interpolation of the songs title into the verse in multiples bars (he does the same in the first versez using Sweet as an intro to the track and making it sound pleasurable, only to follow up with " and still there's pain" with snaps you into what the track is really about, which is also a follow up on the previous track Roc Boys where you can hear Jay saying 'Sweet' on the outro, only to show the eventual fall out of the high life on the next track)
But to the main point, on this verse you have the bolded, which is just amazing, how in a few bars Jay's able to build up an effective metaphor that doesn't just work as an effective metaphor, but works as a story in and of itself, that self references back to track one "Pray".

He says "Shall we dance with the devil for a beat", which is already a known phrase, but he uses beat which can mean a period of time, or something like a police officers beat, and for the song as he's a rapper an actual beat, and is essentially saying his dance with the devil is his time as a dealer.

And then he continues the metaphor with "I pray to God I ain't go to left feet", which would mean he's incapable of dancing or in this case succeeding in the game.
His usage of praying to God not only means the general phrase which might not mean you're actually praying, but references back to the end of verse two on Pray where in the final line he prays to God for his endeavors in criminal activities, AND, he's praying to God for help in his dance with the Devil which shows the contradiction, and the two sides to this life which is at the heart of Sweet.

Then he continues the metaphor with The Hustle, a dance that originated among Puerto Ricans in the Bronx and used at house parties, something that a "street", young, unsophisticated, "low class" Jay Z would use, to double as a metaphor for hustling as in drugs putting ki's in the street (does the ki usage also double as in piano keys as in music for the dancing? I dunno), and now suddenly he's moved up from that "low" dancing, and low level hustling, as he's ballroom dancing, as he's above those "regular" dances, and as he's above that dancing he's not dealing in the streets now, he's hiding drugs in suites (that's what Ke Ke is to do), and he's ke ke'ing (which means to giggle) at the success he's had.

And that's not even the half of anything on that one track, let alone the entire album which is filled with gems, and incredible internals/multis like on the title track, which he manages to do with more metaphors,punchlines, and just general cleverness and great songwriting :
"I'm from the 80's
Home of the heroin
Era of the hustlers
The world is my custy
New Rich Porter
The way I flip quarters
Momma was a mink wearer
Papa ran numbers
American dream
Give me amnesia
I want the sky
The world when I'm done
I'm give it to my sons
Sixes kit it up
Man I did it up, done
I came"

I'm tired of the narrative among Jay being, "Oh Jay has a better catalog than Nas but Nas is a better rapper/lyricist), or "Jay is a good songwriter but Nas, Nas is better spitter", or "Jay has the money/commercial success but Nas is a real artist."

No, this album is peak Jay, and it shows exactly why Jay is a more intelligent rapper and a better poet than Nas, and many of the other rappers people try to put above him, none of that one toe in the water "I like Jay more and think he has better albums than Nas but Nas is a better rapper" garbage.
I always forget this album exists. Probably haven't listened to it since its release year. I think, I'll check it out again tomorrow. Also I always thought it was the official soundtrack to the movie, lol.

Random I know, and I generally try to avoid verses discussions, but over the last month I was frequently and unsolicited-ly assailed by many Nas and Big L fans when I was just trying to talk about and share Jay Z, so over the past two weeks I've been researching and prepping arguments to be used when required.

Lightning Returns (FFXIII-3). Believe me. Best battle-system in the series. Perfect hybrid of real-time and ATB. It's a shame it was used in a FFXIII-branded game and will stay overlooked :/ Yeah, the story is ridiculous garbage, but some of the sidequest are actually pretty charming and the game doesn't take itself seriously like FFXIII and FFXIII-2. Also great soundtrack.

Aw stop it, you :3
Ignore Nibel, he doesn't even know you.

Ha ha, I don't know Nibel either but I like to believe he's sincere.

So a G a nigga gotta be
Ke-ke'in in the suite

Sweet BB's on the feet
It's so corrupt
Soak it up it's a lesson
Every fuck up
One day you're up
Next day you're down

"I'm from the 80's
Home of the heroin
Era of the hustlers
The world is my custy
New Rich Porter
The way I flip quarters
Momma was a mink wearer
Papa ran numbers
American dream
Give me amnesia
I want the sky
The world when I'm done
I'm give it to my sons
Sixes kit it up
Man I did it up, done
I came"

Well written, even if I obviously don't agree.

Detox

I don't agree with everything you've said. Nas at his pinnacle is unbeatable for me.

But I realised I neglected Jays catalogue for a long time. I've been listening to reasonable doubt and American Gangster on shuffle for the last 2 months almost every day. AG is a dope ass album and its highs are equal to the best of RD.

Jays rhyme schemes on AG are incredible and his flow is ill. The only missteps are hello Brooklyn and the hook on say hello both deserve a jayehh.gif. Peak Jay swag and flow just makes the album effortless. I think there's a dope 3 act structure to the album too but I haven't listened to it in order to get it.

I don't agree with everything you've said. Nas at his pinnacle is unbeatable for me.

But I realised I neglected Jays catalogue for a long time. I've been listening to reasonable doubt and American Gangster on shuffle for the last 2 months almost every day. AG is a dope ass album and its highs are equal to the best of RD.

Jays rhyme schemes on AG are incredible and his flow is ill. The only missteps are hello Brooklyn and the hook on say hello both deserve a jayehh.gif. Peak Jay swag and flow just makes the album effortless. I think there's a dope 3 act structure to the album too but I haven't listened to it in order to get it.
"But I ain't mad at you, look at my attitude
It says my life's too real, check out my ice grill
Baby I'm cold as ice, like I'm from Brownsville
But my Bed's in the Stuy though I'll lie flat in your bush
Till we smoke a C.I."
These bars alone prevent me from calling Hello Brooklyn a misstep.

Detox

Also party life is like ain't no nigga. Jay just can't be sexual in his raps neither can 99&#8453; of rappers. Leave that type of stuff to Kevin Gates he strikes a good balance between romance and griminess.

HiResDes

American Gangster is such a boring ass album that you have to get on some rap genius shit to even feign interest. It's like a subpar low rent Kool G Rap ripoff album too. When you listen to the album there's very little at all that standouts from you know a musical, audible standpoint, I've never cared enough to read through American Gangster, but I know it doesn't have even a quarter of the gems of Reasonable Doubt, Black Album, or Blueprint... Hell Volume One is even a more fly sounding album. Now I ain't gonna lie I was too bored to actually read all the damn lyrics you posted so I played some of the actual album again and yeah was a snooze.

Koozek

American Gangster is such a boring ass that you have to get on some rap genius shit to even feign interest. It's like a subpar low rent Kool G Rap ripoff album too. When you listen to the album there's very little at all that standouts from you know musical standpoint, I've never cared enough to read through American Gangster, but I know it doesn't have even a quarter of the gems of Reasonable Doubt, Black Album, or Blueprint... Hell Volume One is even a more fly sounding album. Now I gonna lie I was too bored to actually read all the damn lyrics you posted so I played some of the actual album again and yeah was a snooze.
JgZs64Q.png

Okay, maybe I don't need to check it out again.

JgZs64Q.png

Okay, maybe I don't need to check it out again.
No you need to check it out and decide for yourself, the album is incredibly fun imo.
Also party life is like ain't no nigga. Jay just can't be sexual in his raps neither can 99&#8453; of rappers. Leave that type of stuff to Kevin Gates he strikes a good balance between romance and griminess.
Most of the track isn't sex, just braggadocio punchlines over a dope beat,so that's why it works for me.

American Gangster is such a boring ass album that you have to get on some rap genius shit to even feign interest. It's like a subpar low rent Kool G Rap ripoff album too. When you listen to the album there's very little at all that standouts from you know a musical, audible standpoint, I've never cared enough to read through American Gangster, but I know it doesn't have even a quarter of the gems of Reasonable Doubt, Black Album, or Blueprint... Hell Volume One is even a more fly sounding album. Now I ain't gonna lie I was too bored to actually read all the damn lyrics you posted so I played some of the actual album again and yeah was a snooze.

Vol 1 is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom