• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThisGuy

Bone thugs, maybe lil Jon and east side boys if that counts as a group.

Can't stop playing games documentary 2 & 2.5. Can't believed I skipped it. Is the west coast classic sound picking up again? Or is that just game?

Bone thugs, maybe lil Jon and east side boys if that counts as a group.

Can't stop playing games documentary 2 & 2.5. Can't believed I skipped it. Is the west coast classic sound picking up again? Or is that just game?

Finally someone who sees the greatness of Documentary 2/2.5. West coast been good though with YG,TDE,etc. I still need to hear games more recent album 1992 i believe, the few i heard from it sounds good.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
new Oddisee is decent but it didn't blow me away on first listen like The Good Fight did

New Iluminati

3da636a1c4fa0a3c59004e7f974c875f.gif

Fjordson

We talk about rappers, but curious. What are your favorite Rap Groups all time? Duos I put in a separate category.

I guess Wu Tang? ATCQ is another one.

Still, I think it would have to be these guys:

c2012cdf2c8c40169d6ad222de68ee28
Hmm. It's probably Wu-Tang, but that's factoring in the solo albums that were similar to group albums in the 90's. Like Cuban Linx or Ironman. When you put all that together with the first few group albums the amount of quality in their prime is crazy.

Hmm. It's probably Wu-Tang, but that's factoring in the solo albums that were similar to group albums in the 90's. Like Cuban Linx or Ironman. When you put all that together with the first few group albums the amount of quality in their prime is crazy.

Yeah, no doubt. Their material as a group is spotty IMO.

Vorheez

Gonna have to check the Stormzy album out

Do we have any favorites from HNDRXX yet? Hallucinating, Solo, Lookin' Exotic, and Turn on Me are all up there right now

sasliquid

Suppose I have time to do this. I don't think I'm that knowledgeable about HipHop yet, I only got heavily in last year, so humour me.

1. Pick a Coast to rep (Chiraq/Atlantistan/etc)-
London (that counts right?)
2. What’s your favorite subgenre of rap? (Conscious/Backpack, Trap/Drill, Mafioso, WC Gangsta, Swag, Weed, Hyphy, Club, etc) -
Conscious/backpack
3. Favorite Artists (Pick Five)- Kanye, Public Enemy, Danny Brown, Kendrick, ATCQ
4. Favorite Artists Outside of Hip-Hop (Pick Five)-
Currently Working: Arcade Fire, Wild Beasts, Tame Impala, ANOHNI, Fleet Foxes/Father John Misty
Old All Time: Joy Division, David Bowie, Nick Drake, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin
5. What was your hip-hop AOTY last year? What’s your current hip-hop AOTY? -
2016 - Wildflower/TLOP
2017 - RTJ3 (maybe Gang Signs and Prayers but I need to listen more)
6. What are you listening to right now? –
Stormzy and Swet Shop Boys
7. What’s something you like that you might consider a guilty pleasure? What’s something you haven’t listened to that you think a hip-hop aficionado might give you shit for? -
Drake?
8. Rank a Random Rapper’s Discography (Pick Someone With > 3 Albums)
Drake: Take Care > Nothing was the Same > Thank Me Later > Views

GAF-Hop Discusses

1. What do you like about the current state of hip-hop? What’s missing from the game? -
More political rage like Public Enemy
2. Who’s Your Favorite Wu-Tang Member? -
RZA? I need to give them more time
3. Jay-Z or Nas? Biggie or Pac? Lil' B or Anyone else (correct answer is Lil' B)? -
Jay-z and Biggie
4. What Hip-Hop Album Are You Currently Anticipating? -
I'm not sure there is one, Turbo Grafix 16 I suppose? I hope to be surprised
5. Who is the Most Underrated Emcee? Who is the Most Overrated?
I honestly don't think Chuck D gets enough repping and I think Eminem gets way too much
6. Would You Rather Eat An Ass or Have Your Ass Eaten? -
If I had to pick, the latter
7. Onions, Avocados, Both, or Neither? -
Neither, I am unhealthy
8. Do you still listen to Eminem? Why? -
Haha no, I thought he was cool when I was like 10, I wish you stopped rapping about Rape
9. Who’s your favorite pop artist? And who’s the finest? -
In modern times? I'd argue Kanye as Rap-pop or Drake but Queen B slays
10. Recall a personal event that went down about a week ago... –
I finished Resident Evil 1 for the first time last weekend

DeadTsar

Not really feeling HNDRXX so far. Pretty much echoing "Trap Future > Sad Boy Hendrix", even if FUTURE is more of the same.

So, I'm 10 tracks into Hendrix and I'm not seeing it.

It's above average, like a 7-7.5, but it's not this messianic creation delivered unto us that you all seem to be hyping it up to be. The Weeknd song is good because the production on that is dope. The rest of it is just not resounding with me.

HNDRXX is such weak ass pop rap you guys are out of your minds

Only got to track 7 or so of hndrx but I prefer Future. Think Future trap is just way more up my alley.

Gonna have to agree though I'm a huge Future fan this album just isn't connecting with me.
Some great production and a couple good songs (Coming out strong, My Collection, Solo, Sorry) but overall I'm unimpressed.

Koozek

I don't know what it is, but Weeknd's voice and the way he sings makes me want to punch him in the face and I'm the most peaceful person. He's been on literally every big rap album of the last two years I listen to at least once.

Suppose I have time to do this. I don't think I'm that knowledgeable about HipHop yet, I only got heavily in last year, so humour me.

1. Pick a Coast to rep (Chiraq/Atlantistan/etc)-
London (that counts right?)
2. What's your favorite subgenre of rap? (Conscious/Backpack, Trap/Drill, Mafioso, WC Gangsta, Swag, Weed, Hyphy, Club, etc) -
Conscious/backpack
3. Favorite Artists (Pick Five)- Kanye, Public Enemy, Danny Brown, Kendrick, ATCQ
4. Favorite Artists Outside of Hip-Hop (Pick Five)-
Currently Working: Arcade Fire, Wild Beasts, Tame Impala, ANOHNI, Fleet Foxes/Father John Misty
Old All Time: Joy Division, David Bowie, Nick Drake, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin
5. What was your hip-hop AOTY last year? What's your current hip-hop AOTY? -
2016 - Wildflower/TLOP
2017 - RTJ3 (maybe Gang Signs and Prayers but I need to listen more)
6. What are you listening to right now? –
Stormzy and Swet Shop Boys
7. What's something you like that you might consider a guilty pleasure? What's something you haven't listened to that you think a hip-hop aficionado might give you shit for? -
Drake?
8. Rank a Random Rapper's Discography (Pick Someone With > 3 Albums)
Drake: Take Care > Nothing was the Same > Thank Me Later > Views

GAF-Hop Discusses

1. What do you like about the current state of hip-hop? What's missing from the game? -
More political rage like Public Enemy
2. Who's Your Favorite Wu-Tang Member? -
RZA? I need to give them more time
3. Jay-Z or Nas? Biggie or Pac? Lil' B or Anyone else (correct answer is Lil' B)? -
Jay-z and Biggie
4. What Hip-Hop Album Are You Currently Anticipating? -
I'm not sure there is one, Turbo Grafix 16 I suppose? I hope to be surprised
5. Who is the Most Underrated Emcee? Who is the Most Overrated?
I honestly don't think Chuck D gets enough repping and I think Eminem gets way too much
6. Would You Rather Eat An Ass or Have Your Ass Eaten? -
If I had to pick, the latter
7. Onions, Avocados, Both, or Neither? -
Neither, I am unhealthy
8. Do you still listen to Eminem? Why? -
Haha no, I thought he was cool when I was like 10, I wish you stopped rapping about Rape
9. Who's your favorite pop artist? And who's the finest? -
In modern times? I'd argue Kanye as Rap-pop or Drake but Queen B slays
10. Recall a personal event that went down about a week ago... –
I finished Resident Evil 1 for the first time last weekend
I can't take you seriously as a human being if you don't like onions or garlic, tbh. Like, what's wrong with you?

It's always cool to see outsiders getting into Hip-Hop recently. Check out GAF-Hop's AOTY results or the voting thread.

And man, RE1 is still the only RE I've never finished. Dunno why. I even catched up on Zero and Code Veronica two years ago. I might get REmake on Steam someday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom